PDA

View Full Version : Tony Cousins New Boss

JW.
14/06/2006, 11:06 AM
See
http://www.droghedaunited.ie/scripts/Article.asp?ArticleID=719

JW.
14/06/2006, 11:07 AM
It's a bit of a gamble but the best of luck to him and his lack of knowledge of the GUFC scene may actually be of benefit.

sligoman
14/06/2006, 11:07 AM
At least we have another manager to boo when we play ye so:p.

It's a gamble but best of luck with him!

Magicme
14/06/2006, 11:09 AM
It hasnt been officially announced yet tho has it? Wow....go Tony! Its a bit mad that Drogs announced it b4 Galway....u think Drogs would have held off and allowed GUFC their moment of glory and news worthiness.

JW.
14/06/2006, 11:12 AM
Drogheda should have felt obliged to supress this information until the press conference really but generally the news spreads one way or another anyway.

Magicme
14/06/2006, 11:12 AM
Good luck Tony....a decent skin....I forgive him for not getting me my tickets to last years cup final as promised!

Am a bit worried too that he mite convince Jimmy Fullam to go to Galway too....Jimmy Snr & Tony are good mates.

Will stop being paranoid bout things when have had a coffee.....

gufct
14/06/2006, 11:24 AM
wait until 1.35. Best of Luck to Tony very higly thought of at Rovers and Drogheda and will be out to prove himself. His new assistant will be Galway based and will be a popular choice. Glad to see democracy and common sense prevailling.

sligoman
14/06/2006, 11:27 AM
Am a bit worried too that he mite convince Jimmy Fullam to go to Galway too....Jimmy Snr & Tony are good mates.What makes you think Monaghan have great players and Galway would even be interested in them?:p.

Tir Oilean
14/06/2006, 11:27 AM
Whao there Magic Me...... all these signings youre talking about.....we didnt win the lotto you know. Our squad is talented enough to go up as it is with maybe one or two signings for midfield in preparation for Premier Division next year! We just need Tony to get the best out of them

Magicme
14/06/2006, 11:30 AM
yeah as I said.....first reaction was paranoia!! Ha Sligoman.....just like Sligo would never have dreamed of luring a mons player away coz there is absolutely no way that we could have a talented player on our books!!

Jimmy F is a good player but I doubt u would want him Galway anyways.

Am sure you will have a few changes in the transfer window tho?

Tir Oilean
14/06/2006, 11:30 AM
GUFCT I thought the new manager had to be based in Galway? You can't have a full time manager living 125 miles away. Is he goin to fly to carnmore to get a lift to training?

sligoman
14/06/2006, 11:32 AM
yeah as I said.....first reaction was paranoia!! Ha Sligoman.....just like Sligo would never have dreamed of luring a mons player away coz there is absolutely no way that we could have a talented player on our books!!Yes, ye had one and we took him but that doesn't mean the rest of the squad are as good as Foyzer, I mean, ye are in last place at the moment:D.

Magicme
14/06/2006, 11:33 AM
I didnt say any of them are even fit to shine Foyzers boots but there are a few talented young players on our books. Stephen Finnegan, Jimmy Fullam, Jim Murphy and Paul Whelan to name a few. Sure we are bottom....but not for long!

gufct
14/06/2006, 11:34 AM
be the best man for the job full stop. I think of the canidates he was the best. As one of the canidates felt he was bigger than GUFC im sure we have got the right man.

NY Hoop
14/06/2006, 11:34 AM
Rovers legend for sure but he has no managerial experience. Has to start somwhere I guess. Good luck TC.

KOH

JC_GUFC
14/06/2006, 11:41 AM
As one of the canidates felt he was bigger than GUFC im sure we have got the right man.

To be fair to that candidate he IS bigger than GUFC! :D

When I saw the list of candidates I said I'd have liked Cousins so I'm happy with the appointment. He's worked at Rovers and a very well run Drogheda side over the last few years so has good experience and I'm sure he'll do a good job with us.

JW.
14/06/2006, 11:49 AM
It's part of a general trend of young-ish managers taking over that has been very prevalent in the EL in recent seasons: Fenlon, Kenny, Farrelly, Doolin, Kerly, O'Connor... etc. I know very little of Tony Cousins and the challenging thing for him is that (a) he's taking over in the middle of a season and (b) there is a general expectation for immediate success (i.e. promotion).

wws
14/06/2006, 12:07 PM
he also has a good trade
so he can fall back on that if it all goes pear shaped :D

JW.
14/06/2006, 12:14 PM
Perhaps there is the potential for some decent Drogs players who're not getting their game joining us on loan?
WWS - are you gonna fall back on your trade if your betting goes pear-shaped?
;)

Conor H
14/06/2006, 12:42 PM
wait until 1.35. Best of Luck to Tony very higly thought of at Rovers and Drogheda and will be out to prove himself. His new assistant will be Galway based and will be a popular choice. Glad to see democracy and common sense prevailling.

I take it your on about Goughie?:confused:

If so i think it's a black mark on Cousins book already.Goughie is a good captain and an excellent keeper but that's it.He shouldn't be apppointed assistant manager IMO.I've heard one or two stories about Goughie not been the "gent" we all know him for.
Also all our hopes that the new manager would come in,not knowing the GUFC scene and have a totally unbiased view are tarnished with hiring a player as assitant coach.

geezer
14/06/2006, 12:42 PM
wrong with the man but i would have a worry about where he is based
i think cousins runs his business in Naas in Kildare so it will be difficult, a lot of dublin, managers who come down to regional sides do find the travelling tough after a few months, King for harps was an example. fingers crossed, I hope we dont go back to having a dublin team training in the phoenix park like joey malones side years ago

thescoringgoals
14/06/2006, 1:32 PM
i know a bit about the other 2 but nothing really about him apart from rovers days etc.the 5 man panel are no fools though,you have to trust them i suppose,theyve steered us right up to now,i heard him speaking on gbfm,seems to want to get down to business etc,he didnt give much away about what way he was gonna play,"mixing it up" is what he called it,i hope that doesnt mean alot of high long balls,it probably means a bit of both types.
good luck to him anyway,all the best.well done to nick again and co for taking care of this quickly and efficently.

gufct
14/06/2006, 1:35 PM
married with 3 young children and could not commit to living here initially due to the fickle nature of the el (just check out shels situation) so he needed an assistant manager based locally.

Goughy has played at highest level in Ireland,Has numerous contacts throughout england and ireland and will not suffer fools gladly so he is the ideal man for the job. Some of the rumours and stories that ghho around galway are absolutely ridiculous and are spread normally by people who were afraid to take on the job at united when it was offered to them or else by certain "knowalls" from Junior clubs in the city.

Today is a very good day in the history of the club lets move on get behind the new regime and get promoted forget the negatives lads!!!!!

Tir Oilean
14/06/2006, 1:52 PM
Dunno what Tony's business is( anyone shed a light?) But how can a guy self employed with three young kids attend training three times weekly?:confused: my guess is twice a week and Gough the other. Then again he's obviously no fool and is thinking when he gets Utd to the top flight he'll have less travelling to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Patrick Dunne
14/06/2006, 2:03 PM
He will be attending all training sessions, starting this evening. Its only 2.5 hours drive to Kildare. There also is the option of flying to Galway. Our sponsors Aer Arann (flights) and accomodation (Racing Lodge) may be able to help out.

Was at the press conference, Tony said that players will be coming in from July 1st on. He will be assessing the current squad and is lining up a friendly for this weekend.

Tony needs the support of everyone at the club to succeed. Ballybofey on Saturday week is the first step.

Come on United !

PD.

geezer
14/06/2006, 2:05 PM
you could take it from your post above that goughy is the real manager, cousins is a good appointment, but there are genuine concerns, for example he has never managed a club before, he will be manageing remotely, which is not impossible and in all fairness this could change, it has to be a concern that being based in Naas could prove tough for the lad himself....
As ever he will be given plenty of support and I hope he does well.

Conor H
14/06/2006, 2:33 PM
Will the details of the press conference be up on the website later?

Can anyone tell us the jist of what he said?Terry/PD?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Galway United FC is pleased to announce that Tony Cousins has been appointed as the club's new team manager. Cousins will take charge of the side immediately and has been appointed to the end of the 2008 season.

The appointment of Tony Cousins as manager, which was announced on Wednesday at the Racing Lodge in Galway, has been welcomed by the Galway United chairman John Fallon.

"There was a lot of interest in the position from many quality candidates but throughout the process one person stood out and we are delighted that Tony Cousins will take charge of the side for the next two and a half seasons.

"He has all the skills and experience to take this club forward and he shares our ambition in restoring Galway United as one of the top clubs in the country," said Fallon.

Tony Cousins, who has been assistant manager at Drogheda United for the past season and a half, said he was looking forward to the challenge.

"I am impressed with the structures in Galway United and the ambition and talent that is in the club. I want to be part of taking that forward and I am looking forward to the challenge," he said.

Cousins (36) has been involved in football full-time since he was sixteen when he joined Chelsea. He spent two years at Stamford Bridge and throughout a decorated career played for Liverpool, Dundalk, Bohemians and Shamrock Rovers.

He was appointed U-21 manager at Shamrock Rovers before becoming assistant manager. A year and a half ago he was appointed assistant manager at Drogheda United, who won the FAI Cup last season, the Setanta Cup this season and are currently top of the Eircom League Premier Division.

www.galwayunitedfc.ie

gufct
14/06/2006, 2:36 PM
the rant was aimed at Conors post as Goughy is as well placed as any coach in Galway to be assistant manager and we all know Tony is the manager.

Conor H
14/06/2006, 2:40 PM
How is Goughie the ideal man?
You have said that many of us have had blinkers on about Dolan i'd say the same about you and Goughie.The stories i've heard are pretty realiable and true.Don't get me wrong now i have great time for Goughie but he's not the legend of a man you seem to think he is.I mean you thought he should nearly have been the manager,full stop!:eek:
What has he done to suggest that he's so good?
A GUFC legend and a sound guy?But sure Lally was both those things?
In truth i'm slighlty sceptical about this appointment but i'll give him my full support and hope everyone else does!
Roll on Harps!:cool:

JW.
14/06/2006, 2:51 PM
If Goughie has the other players' general respect, good and well; otherwise, it might be a problem.

Tir Oilean
14/06/2006, 3:06 PM
From talking to some of the players this season they do have respect for Goughie this could change if he becomes assistant boss though! Surely Jim Noone will still be there for a bit. There was no mention whatsoever of Goughie being assistant at the press conference

corbyeire
14/06/2006, 3:07 PM
thats the point of it all jw, as mentioned above the idea of getting cousins from outside being great - could be undone slightly by goughy in assistant position

Flano
14/06/2006, 3:39 PM
....the FAI promised a great new manager and all we got Steve Staunton.

GUFC board had the opportunity to appoint a decent manager and should have insisted on him being Galway based...

I think the appointment is poor and is a backward step

gufct
14/06/2006, 3:40 PM
always going to have to be galway based so the contenders would have been few and far between. He has played with Goughie with the irish u'21s and knows him very well so he was the ideal man for the job . Conor you must tell me those stories about Alan because the only one I have had a falling out with him is the way he left united way back and he has acknowledged himself that he handled that all wrong.

The team spirit is very strong this year and this was done to Lal,Goughy and the players and if we go on a good run this will soar. So as I said before lets get behind the new regime and fill a couple of buses to ballyboffey.

Conor H
14/06/2006, 3:43 PM
GUFCT i'll fill you in on those stories another time.
However Cousins is the new manager and as you said time to get behind the new regime,starting with 3 points against a poor Harps side.
Come on UTD!

Patrick Dunne
14/06/2006, 4:20 PM
He appears to be testing the fabric of Terry's GUFC scarf to the limit
on www.galwayunitedfc.ie !

Galwayexile
14/06/2006, 5:01 PM
I hope it works for for him and Galway Utd.

All the best from the states.

Metrostars
14/06/2006, 5:24 PM
Before we start critizing him, let's at least give him a few games.

Lets hope he can lead the club to success.

Terry
14/06/2006, 9:15 PM
Right, Bit drunk but here we go.

I had my doubts when I just finished my lunch and I seen a jersey with cousins on the back of it, but I said I'll wait till its all over and then give my personnel verdict.

And, in the end that has to be well done to all involved in the interview process. Tony has to be one of the most down to earth and profesional person I have ever met. He was telling me and PD all about how drogheda was run and how he plans to introduce that here also. He was saying how well impressed he is with the set up here and how sure he is on bringing immediate success to the club (promotion). Tony glows with confidence (something that matches that of everyone who is involved with what happens off the pitch), and as being a former striker, can only be good for Murphs and Moran.

I have to agree with GUFCT, and say that goughie is the ideal assistant manager. The 2 of them know each other from their former playing days and can help Tony settle in quickly and comfortably. Travel will not be a problem, as PD said, sponsors will help ease that situation.

He also promised, that he already has players inline ready to join us in july which will add considerable strength to the squad.

Thats all the brain is capable of remembering at the moment, any questions just ask.

COMON united:D

Conor H
15/06/2006, 8:45 AM
Any idea who the possible friendly will be against?

Terry
15/06/2006, 10:21 PM
Any idea who the possible friendly will be against?

nothing official yet, but if they can get the green light it will be against Longford up there.

corbyeire
16/06/2006, 10:03 AM
more blood! - everyone got a can of petrol and matches with them

will test the term friendly - again!

dont know about this fixture

Galwayexile
16/06/2006, 4:24 PM
I hope tony can bring in a few players now come july. Best of luck with the rest of the season.