PDA

View Full Version : League of Ireland Hall Of Fame

Pages : [1] 2

el punter
13/06/2006, 11:07 PM
Probably inspired by the recent passing of some of the league's former stars, I've had an idea to add a Hall of Fame section to Walk The Chalk (http://www.walkthechalk.com) as a little something which might provide interesting reading for students of our league, and because it will be well, nice, to give some of the great players a bit of recognition.

This is where you lot get to wax lyrical about your favourite players from the days of old. I think the Hall would work best if it was written with the passion of fans who truly were moved by the exploits of the player they are writing about.

I would just ask that the pieces don't get too silly and are entirely factual (or specify where you are unsure of a fact like a date or something and we'll check it out).

Ideally an article of 300 or so words outlining the player's career and why they are worthy for the hall of fame, and a list of their honours would be good for consistency. Any photos of the players would be great too, maybe your clubs can help you out on that front.

Lets restrict to retired players only, and ignore the superstar blow-ins that only played a few games.

I'm open to any other suggestions on this, and we'll get the Hall of Fame profiles up on Walk The Chalk (http://www.walkthechalk.com) as soon as we've got 4 or 5 ready to go.

Let the nominations for the League's all time Hall of Fame begin!

sligoman
13/06/2006, 11:24 PM
Dixie Dean

harpskid
13/06/2006, 11:33 PM
Brendan Bradley without doubt!

I'll rattle something together on him.

And what about Jim Sheridan too?

sligoman
13/06/2006, 11:35 PM
And what about Jim Sheridan too?I presume this must be a different Jim Sheridan than the one currently with Athlone yeah?:D.

sullanefc
14/06/2006, 12:37 AM
Dave Barry
John Caulfield
Pat Morley

nuff said.

DmanDmythDledge
14/06/2006, 12:41 AM
Dermot Keely

RĂ©iteoir
14/06/2006, 12:51 AM
Jackie Jameson
Barry Kehoe

sligoman
14/06/2006, 1:09 AM
Paul McGee anyone?

headtheball
14/06/2006, 2:24 AM
Liam Coyle....

gustavo
14/06/2006, 2:45 AM
Tony Fagan

Snoop Drog
14/06/2006, 3:21 AM
Barry Kehoe
Despite his Craptown heritage I would second this.

harpskid
14/06/2006, 8:10 AM
I presume this must be a different Jim Sheridan than the one currently with Athlone yeah?:D.

Yes, his father.

the 12 th man
14/06/2006, 8:45 AM
Jackie Jameson

I would vote for Jackie as well.He was a class player and an absolute gentleman.

Patrick Dunne
14/06/2006, 8:50 AM
Jim McLaughlin
Liam Tuohy

The post is for League of Ireland Hall of Fame, not "My Favourite Player From My Club" !

placid casual
14/06/2006, 9:22 AM
Paddy Coad .
widely acknowledged as one of the best to play for Rovers.
ergo - best in the league

in my own time - Pat Byrne
best midfielder in 20 years

el punter
14/06/2006, 9:42 AM
We'd better make a rule to stop the petitioning for 'favourite' players rather than legends. Any player nominated has to be seconded by a few other posters who are not supporters of the club the player is most associated with.

Thanks for the nominations, keep them coming, and give the thumbs up to those of fellow posters who warrant it.

Dodge
14/06/2006, 9:47 AM
Also no current players or anybody who played less than 5 full seasons should be a rule

I vote for Shay Gibbons (multiple league top scorer, one of a handful of players to have scored over 100 goals, international caps)

bluemovie
14/06/2006, 11:18 AM
Blues from the past - Peter Thomas, Johnny Matthews, Alfie Hale and Jimmy McGeough have to be mainstays of any Hall of Fame.

Other clubs (that I've seen) - Liam Coyle, Paul Osam, Stephen Geoghegan, Pat Morley, Paul Doolin, Pat Fenlon, Pat Byrne and the ultimate cult hero Tony Sheridan spring to mind.

DmanDmythDledge
14/06/2006, 1:56 PM
Blues from the past - Peter Thomas, Johnny Matthews, Alfie Hale and Jimmy McGeough have to be mainstays of any Hall of Fame.

Other clubs (that I've seen) - Liam Coyle, Paul Osam, Stephen Geoghegan, Pat Morley, Paul Doolin, Pat Fenlon, Pat Byrne and the ultimate cult hero Tony Sheridan spring to mind.
Second Geoghegan.

Joe Hanrahan.

observer
14/06/2006, 1:59 PM
Frank O'Neill Shamrock Rovers - class act.

Vitruvian Man
14/06/2006, 2:16 PM
I'll second Pat Fenlon for the hall of fame.

Other Bohs legends I would like to propose are

Tony O'Connor
Tony O'Connell.

KildareFan
14/06/2006, 4:20 PM
Just some random people

Dermot Keely
Jim McLaughlin
Derek Swan
John Caulfield
Pat Morley
Gino Brazil
Mick Neville
Damian Byrne
Brian Kerr
Derek Treacy
Pat Fenlon
Paul Osam
Stephen Geoghegan
Gavin Dykes
John Ryan

sligoman
14/06/2006, 4:52 PM
Gavin DykesWhat's the opposite of seconding a player? Whatever it is, I'm doing it for Dykes;).

Poor Student
14/06/2006, 4:59 PM
If it includes managers, Dr. Tony O'Neill.

Schumi
14/06/2006, 5:08 PM
Off the top of my head:
Paul Osam
Derek Swan
Mbabazi (may fall foul of a 5 season rule but should be an exception IMO)
Liam Coyle

el punter
14/06/2006, 7:35 PM
Ok, from a quick scan we've got Stephen Geoghegan, Pat Fenlon and Paul Osam definitely in. Any takers to write the bios for them?

Dodge
14/06/2006, 9:04 PM
Ok, from a quick scan we've got Stephen Geoghegan, Pat Fenlon and Paul Osam definitely in. Any takers to write the bios for them?
Yeah I'll do Oso's.

A face
14/06/2006, 9:13 PM
I am not singling anyone out but i just want to suggest that people be conservative about name legends. No doubt they were all great players and made the league a better place but including people who were borderline may devalue the list.

Alfie Hale and Liam Coyle have been mentioned already, from Cork Dave Barry, Pat Morley and John Caulfield.

Mr A
14/06/2006, 9:39 PM
I know I'm maybe a bit biased but the list simply has to include Brendan Bradley. More LOI goals than anyone else and the most goals in one season. 6 goals in one game as well. There's no arguing with that.

dcfcsteve
14/06/2006, 10:47 PM
Just to register something openly.

I've been spending some time now writing a history/almanac of Irish football. It includes both a Player Hall of Fame, and a Managerial Hall of Fame in it.

A number of the above mentioned are already on my list for this book.

I have written a number of the entries so far - including one on Brendan Bradley that I have sent to Publishers as one of the sample sections.

I just wanted to state this openly in-case I get accused in 12mths time of nicking the idea, entrants, or anything else off of 'Walk the Chalk'.

I'm not suggesting for one minute EL Punter that you would accuse me of this - I'm just covering me back here.......

:ball:

Superhoops
15/06/2006, 12:23 AM
Not sure where one should start, but probably my nominations would be for those who played in 60's, 70's 80's and from those whose names stick in the mind, some of whom have already been mentioned:

Shels: Freddie Strahan, Ben Hannigan, Eric Barber, John Heavey, Jackie Hennessy
Drums: Eamonn Darcy
Bohs: Jimmy Conway
Rovers: Liam Tuohy, Frank O'Neill, Ronnie Nolan, Mick Lawlor, Mick Leech, Pat Dunne, Paddy Mulligan, Paddy Ambrose, Eddie Bailham, Damian Richardson, Mick Smyth
Pats: Dinny Lowry, Noel Campbell
Dundalk: Jimmy Hasty, Tommy McConville
Sligo Rovers: David Pugh
Limerick: Kevin Fitzpatrick, Al Finnucane
Waterford: Peter Thomas, Alfie Hale, John Matthews
Cork Hibs: Miah Dennehy
Cork Celtic: Kevin Blount
Evergreen: Donal Leahy
Finn Harps: Brendan Bradley
I would also incude men of many clubs, Jackie Mooney and Turlough O'Connor.

Happy Days :) Great memories :D

A face
15/06/2006, 1:58 AM

I've been spending some time now writing a history/almanac of Irish football. It includes both a Player Hall of Fame, and a Managerial Hall of Fame in it.

Steve, can i just ask that you be as inclusive as possible in compiling the book, far a wide kinda thing, dont overlook counties that dont have eL teams etc. ... i know you'll look to cover all the bases but just want to say it.

drinkfeckarse
15/06/2006, 7:59 AM
Pat Byrne. Had the pleasure of playing in the same side as him a couple of times at the Ramblers and despite being about 2 stone overweight he was still different class.

David
15/06/2006, 8:18 AM
Paul McGee anyone?

Is that the one that played for us and Wimbledon?

el punter
15/06/2006, 8:50 AM

I have written a number of the entries so far - including one on Brendan Bradley that I have sent to Publishers as one of the sample sections.

I just wanted to state this openly in-case I get accused in 12mths time of nicking the idea, entrants, or anything else off of 'Walk the Chalk'.

I'm not suggesting for one minute EL Punter that you would accuse me of this - I'm just covering me back here.......

:ball:

Cheers Steve, great minds and all that! I wish you the very best of luck with the book - there's certainly call for one to be written/compiled.

I don't expect to win any prizes for originality for putting a hall of fame on our site anyway :)

Dodge
15/06/2006, 9:08 AM
nah (he played for us too), he's talking about the legendary "Ski" McGee who most definitely would be a contender for hall of Fame

red bellied
15/06/2006, 9:16 AM

He played for his hometown club Sligo Rovers when they won the league in 76/77. Then went to England played for OPR and Burnley had a spell in Holland as well i think.

He started off his career with Harps he might have won a cup medal with them but i am to be corrected on that. Played with countless other teams when he returned to the LOI rejoining Sligo Rovers on least another 2 occasions. Also won over 20 caps for Ireland and scored a few goals as well. Never seem him at his best too young then but he was always full of tricks and knew how to beat a player even though his pace was gone, great from set pieces as well and a good header of the ball.

sullanefc
15/06/2006, 10:17 AM
Dave Barry
John Caulfield
Pat Morley
nuff said.

Just some random people

Dermot Keely
Jim McLaughlin
Derek Swan
John Caulfield
Pat Morley
Gino Brazil
Mick Neville
Damian Byrne
Brian Kerr
Derek Treacy
Pat Fenlon
Paul Osam
Stephen Geoghegan
Gavin Dykes
John Ryan

Alfie Hale and Liam Coyle have been mentioned already, from Cork Dave Barry, Pat Morley and John Caulfield.

Several nominations to go with the 3 in bold :)

el punter
15/06/2006, 10:34 AM
Yeah, the Barry, Morley, Caulfield trio can consider their places assured, as can Jackie Jameson, Liam Coyle and Pat Byrne.

Thanks for the Oso offer Dodge.

Any more volunteers for doing the above bios?

Speranza
15/06/2006, 11:12 AM
Due to my age I can't possibly devise a definitive list like those above but for me Oso and Peter Hutton would be dead certs.

el punter
15/06/2006, 11:19 AM
Due to my age I can't possibly devise a definitive list like those above but for me Oso and Peter Hutton would be dead certs.

The current player rule keeps Hutton out I'm afraid Speranza....but I imagine he'll be in as soon as he throws his boots to the Brandywell faithful.

placid casual
15/06/2006, 11:45 AM
i hope whoever is doing the Bio on pat morley makes sure to include the incident with the golf clubs

monzo
15/06/2006, 2:02 PM
I second Al Finnucane, Paul McGee and Paddy Mulligan.

God knows why Brendan Bradley hasn't been nominated more than once by other supporters by this point.

Also if managers count I nominate Patsy McGowan and Amby Fogarty.

Red&White Rover
15/06/2006, 4:07 PM
cant believe a Sligo Rovers fan hasnt nominated the legend that was Gerry Carr yet!;)

Superhoops
15/06/2006, 7:35 PM
posted 15/06/2006 at 0302pm

....God knows why Brendan Bradley hasn't been nominated more than once by other supporters by this point..

posted 14/06/06 1233am

Brendan Bradley without doubt!...

posted 14/06/06 1039pm

I know I'm maybe a bit biased but the list simply has to include Brendan Bradley. More LOI goals than anyone else and the most goals in one season. 6 goals in one game as well. There's no arguing with that.

posted 15/06/06 0123am

Not sure where one should start, but probably my nominations would be for those who played in 60's, 70's 80's and from those whose names stick in the mind, some of whom have already been mentioned:

Shels: Freddie Strahan, Ben Hannigan, Eric Barber, John Heavey, Jackie Hennessy
Drums: Eamonn Darcy
Bohs: Jimmy Conway
Rovers: Liam Tuohy, Frank O'Neill, Ronnie Nolan, Mick Lawlor, Mick Leech, Pat Dunne, Paddy Mulligan, Paddy Ambrose, Eddie Bailham, Damian Richardson, Mick Smyth
Pats: Dinny Lowry, Noel Campbell
Dundalk: Jimmy Hasty, Tommy McConville
Sligo Rovers: David Pugh
Limerick: Kevin Fitzpatrick, Al Finnucane
Waterford: Peter Thomas, Alfie Hale, John Matthews
Cork Hibs: Miah Dennehy
Cork Celtic: Kevin Blount
Evergreen: Donal Leahy
Finn Harps: Brendan Bradley
I would also incude men of many clubs, Jackie Mooney and Turlough O'Connor.

Happy Days :) Great memories :D

More than once methinks! Read the whole thread!

superfrank
16/06/2006, 9:13 AM
People from my time...

Paul Osam (on his day the best el midfielder at the time)
John Ryan (hat-trick in a cup final)
Barry O'Connor (more then a hundred league goals)
Peter Hutton (great central defender)
Mbabazi (imo, the best Pats player since Osam)

That's all I can think of for now.....

TheOwl
16/06/2006, 10:47 AM
Mick Neville and Tony Sheridan

monzo
16/06/2006, 11:35 AM
Superhoops,

el Punter made a rule stating fans from other clubs are only to second candidates

LeixlipRed
16/06/2006, 11:52 AM
Neil Trebble

Sniffer
16/06/2006, 1:52 PM
I am an ignorant arse, who is Neil Trebble?:confused: