PDA

View Full Version : Move to Fridays

Pages : [1] 2 3

SligoBrewer
10/06/2006, 5:44 PM
Move to Fridays..is this serious??

if so,

why, what when, where, who, when and how?

i thought there was a LANDSLIDE of a vote at the beginning of the season to decide this..

Red4Eva
10/06/2006, 6:39 PM
the club could have tried a bit better to sell saturday night football(posters around town etc) rather than just deciding to move the games. last season we played one game on a friday night(v galway) and it was one of our two lowest league attendances all season. the other being v dundalk which also was not played on a saturday night. the people running the club ain't the sharpest at the best of times IMO. if games are to be changed i'd say home support will not be affected drastically but away days in sligo will be less attractive for visiting fans. also are the club being realistic expecting much larger attendances when cork with a huge population relative to our own, and other clubs, not exactly pulling in massive crowds either considering we are a mid table side. the board should stop whinging in the champion and just put more work into marketing our club and should embrace the trust&all our supporters and work together rather than this petty nonsense that is going on with the trust. also some of the board cough MICHAEL LEYDON should be apportioned more blame for poor attendances than the public of sligo. i can think of several people who just gave up on rovers after bout 3 seasons in the graveyard because of don and have not returned this season.

The Stars
10/06/2006, 6:56 PM
Gonna E-mail the club and ask them why they are doing this.
It will probably lower attendances if anything,less away fans and a good few home supporters are out of town on Fridays.
The only plus is that it will get more media coverage.

sligoman
10/06/2006, 7:12 PM
Well that's me ****ed then. Rovers this is one of the worst decisions you've made, I hope it fails miserably:mad:.

SligoBrewer
10/06/2006, 7:13 PM
petition?

MervilleUnited
10/06/2006, 8:58 PM
Tough One this for the Committie, as Cash is the only way to compete at the top table.

Two Things: I think Summer Soccer has been a disaster for the Eircom League (Although I fully support it for kids, but thats a different story!) Like it of not, I think the majority of Fans enjoyed the Cold Frosty Saturday Nights, bad chicken Soup in hand, etc. Nostalgia! So the Habit was lost.

And the hard core of the old fan base lost the habit, when the DOR Era did its worst. And it will be very difficult to get those back.

What Next? Fridays, not a hope! Maybe the Committie could make a gesture, target the old fans, whom they all know, with a half price personal ticket for some games, a welcome back night or nights. Just to get them in the gate. And maybe an extra free draw on all entrance tickets, with small prizes, just as a thank you for all who attend. Names in the Champion are always read!:)

And work on the Young Support is already starting. The hosting of the U12 SL League Final was a tremendous sucsess, and the Super Reds is growing.

But until a clubhouse is built, the night out in modern Ireland will not happen!:eek:

red bellied
10/06/2006, 11:35 PM
Just home from the pub after reading this thread must be some sort of windup Saturday night is always the night for football in the showgrounds There is no logic to this and i know its bullshut.

sligoman
10/06/2006, 11:39 PM
Just home from the pub after reading this thread must be some sort of windup Saturday night is always the night for football in the showgrounds There is no logic to this and i know its bullshut.Trust me red bellied, it's not bull. I heard it was happening and now it's true:(.

Red&White Rover
10/06/2006, 11:55 PM
if so, i can see where the club is coming from but i mean if anything its going to have the oppposite effect and lower no.'s even more....for example the teenagers around my age who dont really follow rovers and just go to the showgies purely for just to be there and after being in town for the Saturday are NOT going to come on a Friday night! and there is a lot of them that do go on Saturdays, you'll see them in a groups with they're back turned to pitch havin a chat!

red bellied
10/06/2006, 11:57 PM
The most i can recall of Friday games at the Showgrounds were the first 2 games under lights Waterford and Home Farm. They battered them both. There was a couple of expectations after this by then the home night in the Showgies was Saturday ( Mike Small had to go to a wedding and Ireland playin on the same day)

sligoman
10/06/2006, 11:58 PM
for example the teenagers around my age who dont really follow rovers and just go to the showgies purely for just to be there and after being in town for the Saturday are NOT going to come on a Friday night! and there is a lot of them that do go on Saturdays, you'll see them in a groups with they're back turned to pitch havin a chat!Well in fairness, they're no loss. It's the fact that a lot of genuine fans who will miss games that I'm annoyed about and away fans too.

Red4Eva
11/06/2006, 12:29 AM
a large % of our support is made up of students and ppl who don't work in sligo and prob won't be able to make it back for friday nights and these ppl may lose interest in rovers forever because of the change of match nights. i can't think of one positive whatsoever for changing to friday nights

mypost
11/06/2006, 2:48 AM
I think the majority of Fans enjoyed the Cold Frosty Saturday Nights, bad chicken Soup in hand...

...and the postponed games because of waterlogged pitches too, obviously...:rolleyes:

Terry
11/06/2006, 7:42 AM
Havent ye aquired a commerical manager this season? What has he done to promote saturday fooball? What has he done since he joined? as I havent heard anything about hm except what his name was, and I have forgotten that.

Friday football would be a disaster for Sligo football in my opinion. It works for other clubs i.e. clubs in dublin, as there isnt much of a distance for away supporters to travel, and Galway as friday night has being here for a good few years now and is only this season starting to pick up!

Put this thread to a poll, let all supporters vote and send the results to the club

MervilleUnited
11/06/2006, 8:48 AM
...and the postponed games because of waterlogged pitches too, obviously...:rolleyes:

Try Summer Soccer at Station Road!:mad: Summer Downpours lead to games off as well! And try Playing on a rock hard pitch wearing Blades! its like walking on stilts, as HAS to be a factor in injuries!

Maybe the Courts will decide! By the Way, its a three game trial on fridays as far as i am aware!:eek:

roversforever
11/06/2006, 9:25 AM
Put this thread to a poll, let all supporters vote and send the results to the club
we already did that at the start of the season. saturday won bya landslide and that's why they decided to keep it on a saturday.why are they persisting with friday when nobody wants it?im another one that will be working and won't be able to make it on friday nights.

SligoBrewer
11/06/2006, 10:33 AM
http://www.gopetition.com/online/8798.html

Sign it now!!!

Red&White Rover
11/06/2006, 11:03 AM
Well in fairness, they're no loss. It's the fact that a lot of genuine fans who will miss games that I'm annoyed about and away fans too.

im talking about money coming cause they will be a decent proportion of it...of course it is worse for the real fans who will miss out because of this

SligoBrewer
11/06/2006, 3:24 PM
10 signatures....come on!!!

Rovers1
11/06/2006, 4:52 PM
where did ye's hear about this??

sligoman
11/06/2006, 5:35 PM
10 signatures....come on!!!17 now!:).

sligoman
11/06/2006, 7:00 PM
Just thinking lads, is their official news from the club on this yet? It's only from Rogue Trader on here where I heard it.:confused:.

Red&White Rover
11/06/2006, 7:06 PM
we may be getting slightly ahead of ourselves

Red&White Rover
11/06/2006, 7:09 PM
also if this happens its a disaster for the Supporters Trust aswell...i mean the fanzine "Saturday Night Live" dosent make sense if its on a Friday!:eek: :D

Conor H
11/06/2006, 8:47 PM
Is this coming into effect soon or is it just been proposed?

Rovers1
11/06/2006, 9:01 PM
Is this coming into effect soon or is it just been proposed?

you know about as much as us...me anyway!!!

The Stars
11/06/2006, 10:00 PM
Season Ticket holders are also being pushed aside when you think about it.
We bought our tickets in the knowledge that ALL home league games would be on Saturdays.Id say a fair few of fellow ST holders will be p!ssed off as im sure some of them will be missing the games on Fridays.

Terry
11/06/2006, 10:05 PM
disgraceful if true, surely this would have been put to the season ticket holders before being implemented? ST holders should be seen by the club as the must important people at the club, people who are always willing to put in the cash when needed.:mad:

Magicme
12/06/2006, 8:14 AM
I would hate you to change to Friday nites coz they I defo wont get to any games up there this year. Saturday nites are Sligo nites.

Rory H
12/06/2006, 10:09 AM
it wont last and a few dozen emails to the club instead of some ****ty petition will sort it out

red bellied
12/06/2006, 11:25 AM
Was talking to a few people about this and no one seems to have heard anything.

feo123
12/06/2006, 3:16 PM
i signed the petition!! come on everyone....dont let this happen!!

Rovers1
12/06/2006, 3:25 PM
ill say it again....where did the posters who say this is happening hear this?????......

Red&White Rover
12/06/2006, 3:57 PM
ill say it again....where did the posters who say this is happening hear this?????......

i know...if this isnt true were going to look like fools...

Red4Eva
12/06/2006, 4:07 PM
Trust me red bellied, it's not bull. I heard it was happening and now it's true:(.

i assumed you heard somethin official when i read this.

SligoBrewer
12/06/2006, 5:55 PM
i heard it on the longford thread

SligoBrewer
12/06/2006, 5:57 PM
btw....36 signatures

red arrow
12/06/2006, 9:33 PM
its going to happen they are putting it on a trial basis

Redzer
13/06/2006, 12:02 PM
Friday nights will not increase the crowd IMO without a serious advertising campaign. So, why not put the publicity towards Saturday nights instead. I don’t see the logic in this move, all right, lets try it out, if only for the sake of trying it out. But, Saturday is and always has been the night for the Showgrounds.
I am down hearted about this. First, because I will miss alot of games, and secondly it’s looking like there is nothing in the kitty for the transfer window. So the MC will tell us, this is their effort to attract more support, when in fact it is a knee jerk reaction, without any thought or effort being put into increasing the Saturday night attendance.
I have said on another thread, that a major effort must be put into advertising the games.
I worked in South London back when Charlton was struggling with very small crowds in the 2nd Division.
One way they went about getting crowds back, was a door-to-door leafleting campaign. Popping a leaflet through the letterbox, stating exactly why you should support your local team, and urging people to attend. Outlining future plans, etc. I think there was a reduction also on the gate, if you brought the leaflet to the game. I’m not saying this solved everything, but it was a start. Look at where they are now.
We need to use our imagination and come up with real alternatives. I would ask the Trust to take on board this idea. Maybe it is something they would consider doing.
There are a lot of distractions out there, keeping punters away from football at this time of year. Even the GAA are struggling with attendances. We have the nucleus of something great. But we need another thousand coming regularly through the gate. That would bring in 10-15K. Surely it’s worth a gamble. The leaflet like the Summer School one (which looks fantastic) would be ideal.
I would also try a Saturday 3 P.M. kick off. That would give away fans plenty of time to get to the games, plus you would be home again in plenty of time for the pub, grub, club etc.
The FAI should come on board now and help clubs promote the league. It is in their benefit too, that the league is winning over the public.

Guts&Glory
13/06/2006, 12:36 PM
Friday nights will not increase the crowd IMO without a serious advertising campaign.....

Good points Redzer.
More imagination needs to be brought to the table alright by th MC and especially them Marketing manager thats what he is paid for after all.

Have family days, there are plenty of under age teams
in the area who could be invited along at a reduced entry price with a session on the astro thrown in for free or again a reduced rate etc.

The 3pm Saturday thing could be a runner for other people as it would be somewhere for a dad +kids to go whilst the missus is off shopping, an alternate to the cinema etc.

The MC move seems to be very negative almost giving up already, tat needs to change.

The Stars
13/06/2006, 6:04 PM
3:00 is a great idea.Wasn't for the winter soccer because of the Premiersh!t but in the summer there is no competition(well,apart from the world cup this year)
You would wonder what the board at the showgrounds be thinking sometimes.

Also,remember how Sean came on here for the questions,think it would be a good idea to have a meeting or questions with the commercial manager as the ideas on this forum are great and would promote the club so much.

red bellied
13/06/2006, 6:16 PM
Three o clock on a Saturday would be a disaster it just wouldnt work. What do yeah do when the English season starts up again go to Thursday nights. I think Rovers played on a Saturday afternoon once bout 15 years ago agaainst Cork, Keely was the manager worst crowd of the season.

DmanDmythDledge
13/06/2006, 6:26 PM
Have Sligo always played on Saturday nights or have they played on a Friday before? If they did how were the crowds in comparison to Saturdays?

SligoBrewer
13/06/2006, 6:32 PM
3 o' clock is a bad idea...y cant they just leave it alone!!!

sligoman
13/06/2006, 6:32 PM
Definitely against 3pm kick off's. Saturday night is working fine, the crowds are grand when you compare it with what's average in EL games now-a-days. If the club want bigger crowds then it's time they got out and publicised it themselves! If Friday's dont work are they just gonna change it again?

Let them do a bit of work on Saturday night games first, if that doesn't work, then let them think about changing game nights.

red bellied
13/06/2006, 6:35 PM
Have Sligo always played on Saturday nights or have they played on a Friday before? If they did how were the crowds in comparison to Saturdays?

Over the last few years Rovers have played on Friday night at a guess three or four times due to Ireland games, crowds would be definitely down. Hard to say exactly a couple of hundred off the attendace at a guess.

SligoBrewer
13/06/2006, 6:40 PM
the late late is a better alternative to these people...

...they need propaganda..i mean advertising

red bellied
13/06/2006, 6:49 PM
Maybe they could think of changing the kick off to a later time 8.00 or 8.15 especially at the height of summer June and July months.

SligoBrewer
13/06/2006, 6:57 PM
why would u want it later??? ???

red bellied
13/06/2006, 8:08 PM
With all the attractions of the summer especially on a good day people tend to head out for the day Rosses Point or whatever. Rovers supporters casual or what just after being out for the day, frig it just in the door couldnt be bothered with the Showgrounds. The later kick off might just get them out door again.

Also it might add to the atmosphere with nightime coming into the equation in the second half with Rovers pushing for a goal. It wouldnt be as drastic as Friday night football, then returning to earlier kickoffs as the Autumn sets in.