PDA

View Full Version : Ireland Supporter Survey

Karlos
10/06/2006, 11:36 AM
Hey all

In an effort to gain a greater understanding of what makes an average Irish supporter tick and what drives him/her nuts, I have compiled a nifty little survey to gather this info. The survey looks at various aspects of Irish football & it's supporters including issues like the new Lansdowne Road stadium, Eircom logo's on replica jersies and the FAI's Block Booking Scheme.

I intend to report back on the results of the survey on my blog http://southterraceview.blogspot.com and here on www.foot.ie (http://www.foot.ie) for us all to gain in insight into the type of people Irish Football supporters are and what we feel strongly about.

The survey can be taken anonymously however those who input a name and valid email address will be entered into a draw to win an Ireland football DVD (I have a tiny personal budget!). I also wholeheartedly promise to not share your email address with any known Internet freaks!

To take the survey log onto http://www.AdvancedSurvey.com and enter the following code: 40392 in the 'Take The Survey' box on the right hand side of the page.

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts and sharing them with you.
I'm not sure if we'll really learn anything new from it but it will be interesting none the less.

Slan mo chairde :)

Karlos

DmanDmythDledge
10/06/2006, 11:51 AM
Done!

Forever Dreamin
10/06/2006, 6:26 PM
results should be interesting, howerver q re eircom logo do not like but realist in me accepts without it the fai would be millions worse off

Karlos
10/06/2006, 8:03 PM
results should be interesting, howerver q re eircom logo do not like but realist in me accepts without it the fai would be millions worse off

Yep I agree with you on that one. In fairness some of the questions are quite difficult to anser. As this is my first attempt at a survey of this type, I can see some flaws in some of the questions used already. I was also resticted a little by the survey software thing I used - in some cases I wanted a lot more options to select. Live and learn however so next time should be easier to compile. It's been a worthwhile exercise so far though. The results I've seen today have been very interesting and surprising, I have to say. Will be interesting reading when fully completed I think. Thanks to all who have contributed so far and keep the comments coming :)

Forever Dreamin
10/06/2006, 9:01 PM
Yep I agree with you on that one. In fairness some of the questions are quite difficult to anser. As this is my first attempt at a survey of this type, I can see some flaws in some of the questions used already. I was also resticted a little by the survey software thing I used - in some cases I wanted a lot more options to select. Live and learn however so next time should be easier to compile. It's been a worthwhile exercise so far though. The results I've seen today have been very interesting and surprising, I have to say. Will be interesting reading when fully completed I think. Thanks to all who have contributed so far and keep the comments coming :)

Looking forward to seeing the results as well

RonnieB
10/06/2006, 11:08 PM
Done and done!

joema
11/06/2006, 2:32 PM
Done :)

Junior
11/06/2006, 9:37 PM
got as far a Q33 and then the site couldn't find the next page - is there a problem?

onenilgameover
11/06/2006, 11:04 PM
Fair play...good survey.............

Paddy Garcia
12/06/2006, 8:34 AM
Done .

Karlos
12/06/2006, 11:30 AM
got as far a Q33 and then the site couldn't find the next page - is there a problem?

There is only one other question after that and it's a 'any other comment field' so you ansered 99% of it. Thanks for letting me know though, I will look into it. might have been something wrong with the survey hosters site! :)

cullenswood
12/06/2006, 11:54 AM
Done agus done

Kingdom
12/06/2006, 1:49 PM
Done too.

Karlos
12/06/2006, 11:35 PM
Lads,

Thanks for all the comments so far. It's been very helpful. One question I wanted to ask was how long you think the survey should be active for. We've already had 65 replies in 2 days or so which is great so far but I'm wondering what your thoughts are on what amount of of submissions you think will paint a decent picture of our fanbase?

Forever Dreamin
13/06/2006, 6:15 AM
Lads,

Thanks for all the comments so far. It's been very helpful. One question I wanted to ask was how long you think the survey should be active for. We've already had 65 replies in 2 days or so which is great so far but I'm wondering what your thoughts are on what amount of of submissions you think will paint a decent picture of our fanbase?

Most opinion polls in the papers take a sample group of 1000. If you take 1000 out of a population of say 4m a sample of 100 would be representative of 400,000 supporters which is probably a reasonable number. So in my humle opinion i would wait for another week and hope to get as close to the 100 mark as poss.

Paddy Garcia
13/06/2006, 8:01 AM
Most opinion polls in the papers take a sample group of 1000. If you take 1000 out of a population of say 4m a sample of 100 would be representative of 400,000 supporters which is probably a reasonable number. So in my humle opinion i would wait for another week and hope to get as close to the 100 mark as poss.

Spot on.

Hither green
13/06/2006, 8:34 AM
Lads,

You should probably leave it at least until the next game. Some might not be as active during the summer break.

Poor Student
13/06/2006, 8:47 AM
Karlos you might try to spread this out a bit or you'll get highly disproportionate answers to questions like: Do you support an eircom League team?

Karlos
14/06/2006, 12:46 AM
Lads,

Thanks for all the comments. For the moment I'm going to leave the survey up and running for another week at the least and see how we go. We've got 90 odd submissions now but the more we get the better.

I've posted the survey up on a few other notice boards and have sent an email out to help spread it around a bit. If anyone wants to help passing it around to some friends, just pm me and I'll forward on the email or you can write one up yourself.

Had a quick look at some of the results again tonight and I won't spoil the surprises but I've been a little surprised with some of the answers. Very interesting altogether! :)

deego11
21/06/2006, 1:06 PM
Lads,

Thanks for all the comments. For the moment I'm going to leave the survey up and running for another week at the least and see how we go. We've got 90 odd submissions now but the more we get the better.

I've posted the survey up on a few other notice boards and have sent an email out to help spread it around a bit. If anyone wants to help passing it around to some friends, just pm me and I'll forward on the email or you can write one up yourself.

Had a quick look at some of the results again tonight and I won't spoil the surprises but I've been a little surprised with some of the answers. Very interesting altogether! :)

excellent survey! results should be interesting!

Forever Dreamin
23/06/2006, 2:41 PM
any chance of seeing the results?

Karlos
24/06/2006, 1:01 PM
Hope to have them up this week or next week at the very latest!:)

Crazy week workwise last week so I'm hoping to get an hour or two this week to sit down and decide how best to present the info. Will let you all know as soon as it's ready to go :)

Raheny Red
25/06/2006, 1:23 PM
Done and done, looking forward to the results :) :ball:

LeixlipRed
27/06/2006, 12:39 AM
Just completed it there. Should be interesting to see the results

Karlos
01/07/2006, 2:52 PM
Hi all,

The results are now up on the 'A Northsider On The South Terrace' (http://southterraceview.blogspot.com) and (results available directly by clicking here (http://southterraceview.blogspot.com/2006/07/republic-of-ireland-supporters-survey.html) )

I didn't want to clog up the thread by posting the whole results here but if any ones wants to copy and paste them for the link, please feel free.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed and I'm looking forward to some healthy discussion on some of the findings here on www.foot.ie

thanks

Karlos :)

Forever Dreamin
01/07/2006, 6:15 PM
Congratulations on the survey, interesting results, I would say the age profile would mirror the general age profile for people surfing the net etc, ie much more likly among younger people, still results interesting, itd be nice if someone in power in the FAI would actally look at and take note of!!

Karlos
02/07/2006, 12:02 PM
Congratulations on the survey, interesting results, I would say the age profile would mirror the general age profile for people surfing the net etc, ie much more likly among younger people, still results interesting, itd be nice if someone in power in the FAI would actally look at and take note of!!

I agree with you. The fact the survey was web based ensured the survey was never going to be a dinfinitive look at our overall support base.

The results though for certain topics I did find quite interesting and a little surprising in some places. All in all, I reckon it was a worth while activity though. Thanks for the comments. :)