PDA

View Full Version : The Greatest Show on Earth, and we're not there

Reality Bites
09/06/2006, 8:15 AM
Just wondering how people are going to enjoy the World Cup with us not involved, personally i'm looking forward to it but there is also alot of regret that we're not there, But i can't help but to think maybe its a blessing in disguise cause we certainly would have performed poorly with Kerr at the helm, his tactics would have been exposed as one dimensional and lacking surprise, also boring,, the current players too are poor overall with one or two exceptions and more importantly mentally the weakest bunch to don the green in memory..

My team will be Argentina, Vivas Malvinas Argentinas!!

Ash
09/06/2006, 8:26 AM
I reckon Spain will finally come good and I'd like Australia to do well but
I got Japan in the office draw so goooo on Nagata, Inamoto and Nakamura.

(Sorry, dont know many more of the Japaneese squad)

OwlsFan
09/06/2006, 8:28 AM
"Blessing in disguise" :rolleyes: - as if we can cherry pick what tournaments we can play in. It's a disaster of the highest order not to be there and we'd have a better team than a lot there. I have hated the build up but once it starts I'll get stuck in to it and cringe when I have to listen to Drunkphy attack the referees, contradict himself and take apart a team he has tipped to win which has failed as Bill laughs on.

I won't support any team but I think the Italians will win it.

Stuttgart88
09/06/2006, 8:43 AM
Absolutely gutted we're not there. Just one win from our last 3 home games was all it may have taken. Unforgivable. Fortress Lansdowne my arse.

I'll be looking at the tournament from a few angles:

Watching to see how / if the best teams adapt to recent rule changes & refereeing guidelines
Watching to see which wins out: the technocrats or the English style, or a combo of both
Our Euro 2008 opponents' form
Whether the tournament backs up my mantra of great teams not requiring great players throughout the team
Is anything other than 4-4-2 used to good effect, and if it is, why, and what are the essential ingredients?

That kind of thing.

Oh, and hoping England gets knocked out!

CraftyToePoke
09/06/2006, 9:06 AM
dont see how you can view it as a blessing in disguise, its always better to be at a world cup than not to be, always, but particularly when, had we gotten there, you had planned the holiday of a lifetme at it with a bunch your best friends as i had, :(

also theres the seedings issue, each time we fail it makes success harder to achieve in the future, and therefore less likely, so forgive me for not feeling particularly blessed about that one:rolleyes:

theres also the green granny brigade, whether you agree with it or not, or want them on board or not, had we made it, i think several guys would have become 'irish' in oppertunistic honour of the occasion, most likely Nolan and Bullard amongst them, (and god knows who else), i hope i dont kick of another Nolan saga by mentioning this though.

also to say Kerr would not have stepped up is pure conjecture, we will now never know how he would have fared. who knows, he may have performed admirably, although personally i doubt it, but we just dont know. for example Pardew at west ham struggled at champoinship level, his team too elaborate for a very systematic rigid division, and scraped up via the play-offs, but look at them now.

CraftyToePoke
09/06/2006, 9:19 AM
will still be glued to every game though, cant wait for it, the summers without tournaments arent a patch on those in a w.c. or e.c. year.

will be interesting to watch if/which African side explodes onto the world scene this time.

Dodge
09/06/2006, 9:20 AM
Looking forward to it more that we're not in it. Despise fake football fans.

Don Vito
09/06/2006, 9:34 AM
Not really looking forward to it, finding it very hard to watch any programmes on tv about it, absolutely gutted that we missed out.

bwagner
09/06/2006, 10:59 AM
Guys When You Think Of Our Campaign ....we Had 1 Good Game ...france Away...think About It Really.

We Have No Right What So Ever To Have Made The Cut , We Were And Are One Of The Poorest Sides In Western Europe No Europe Full Stop

micls
09/06/2006, 11:09 AM
Just lookin forward to it. Obviously gutted were not in it but getting to see the best players in the world in the biggest tournament in the world is always something to look forward to

bluemovie
09/06/2006, 11:10 AM
I can't wait for it to get started. Obviously I'd prefer if we were there (how is it that we qualify for Japan/South Korea, but when I can realistically go to France or Germany, we don't make it? South Africa's surely a certainty), but in some ways the football connoisseur in me can enjoy it more without seeing everyone as our rival.

I think Brazil will win it, I'm betting on France to win, but I'll be supporting Angola. It's a crying shame two-time Blue Jose Quitongo just missed the final cut for the squad (what a nice guy), but I'll still shout on Arsenio Love and Andre Titi Buengo (how could you not?).

Vitoria ao Palancas Negras!!

Noelys Guitar
09/06/2006, 11:29 AM
Will watch everygame. Love the WC even if we haven't qualified. But still have a sick feeling about us not qualifying from an easy group. And we would have had an even easier group if we had have qualified! That said I fancy the Czech Republic and have wagered to that effect. In the US for the next 6 weeks so it is a bit surreal here. ESPN/ABC start their coverage 10 mins before the opening game! Will be watching the Spanish station which starts its coverage 2 hours before the opening game. Missing Giles/Dunphy already.

eirebhoy
09/06/2006, 11:47 AM
I still think people are underestimating Kerr. If the players could lose the fear factor they'd be in Germany now. We were world class in friendlies, world class when we had nothing to lose. It was only when there was something to lose (ie. when we took the lead) that the team crumbled. If that could have been sorted we'd have done well. Someone mentioned our performance in Paris as been the best. I can say for certain that we wouldn't have performed as well if we took the lead after the 5th minute.

As for how I feel now. I didn't think I'd be able to watch it but I'm really looking forward to it now. Can't wait.

WeAreRovers
09/06/2006, 11:54 AM
Looking forward to it more that we're not in it. Despise fake football fans.

What he said, major tournaments are always better without our brand of rubbish football, rubbish fans and rubbish media. This way, I can watch the world's best footballers without every leprachaun wig-wearing idiot ruining the show for the rest of us.

KOH

eirebhoy
09/06/2006, 11:57 AM
I'm shocked that an Irishman would prefer us not to be there. :eek: Ah well, it's not your fault that the national team isn't in your heart.

NeilMcD
09/06/2006, 1:57 PM
what a load of rubbish. The pixies sold out when the worte Monkeys Gone to Heaven. Inverted snobbery at its worst or best depending what way you look at it.

CraftyToePoke
09/06/2006, 2:25 PM
What he said, major tournaments are always better without our brand of rubbish football, rubbish fans and rubbish media. This way, I can watch the world's best footballers without every leprachaun wig-wearing idiot ruining the show for the rest of us.

KOH

the wig wearing boyos we could certainly do without, but if your countrys involvement in the world cup is actually a hindrance to your enjoying it, then you are on a different orbit...........man.

theworm2345
09/06/2006, 2:26 PM
The Greatest Show on Earth, and we're not there
No ****, thanks for the reminder :(

Aldini98
09/06/2006, 2:31 PM
We are sh*te and dont deserve to be there, and it'll only get worse with Muppet Stan in charge

WeAreRovers
09/06/2006, 2:52 PM
the wig wearing boyos we could certainly do without, but if your countrys involvement in the world cup is actually a hindrance to your enjoying it, then you are on a different orbit...........man.

Trust me, watching Ronaldinho, Messi, Toni, Rosicky, Adriano, Kaka, Totti, Ballack, and erm Owen Hargreaves, as a neutral is much better than watching the boys in green huff and puff against the might of Saudi Arabia from behind the back of my couch.

I'm a football fan and as such I can't wait for this to kick-off...........John O'Shea won't be missed, by me or the billions watching. FFS we treat our 3 draws and a defeat in 1990 as the greatest thing to ever happen. And then we've the cheek to slag the English over their 1966 obsession.

KOH

wws
09/06/2006, 3:14 PM
its all brian kerr's fault

im with my learned friend Mr WaR on this

cant understand the zillions of endless posts on this place about Ireland - endless nit picking over friendlies and potential friendlies - this is the world cup!

a feast of football - and ppl are postin over whether stan should have had a few more meaningless friendlies

enjoy all

this is gonna be great!

CraftyToePoke
09/06/2006, 3:19 PM
Trust me, watching Ronaldinho, Messi, Toni, Rosicky, Adriano, Kaka, Totti, Ballack, and erm Owen Hargreaves, as a neutral is much better than watching the boys in green huff and puff against the might of Saudi Arabia from behind the back of my couch.

I'm a football fan and as such I can't wait for this to kick-off...........John O'Shea won't be missed, by me or the billions watching. FFS we treat our 3 draws and a defeat in 1990 as the greatest thing to ever happen. And then we've the cheek to slag the English over their 1966 obsession.

KOH

i can kinda see where you are coming from, there is an element of ''lets all just sit back and enjoy it'' now thet the stinging disappointment of not making it has faded a bit, and we can now do so without having to endure Ian Fuuckin Hartes ''performances'' and the prospect of the pain of that penalty debacle v 10 man spain etc etc coming round again in a differing fixture and ultimately ending in exit from the big gig.......but neither will there be the roof punching euphoria of Keanes equaliser v germany or Duffs cool as fcuk 'oriental bow' celebration v the Saudis and so on to enjoy,

i know we arent as good as the big boys of the world stage, most likely never will be, but do i want our eleven little green soldiers of mixed and sometimes limited ability, out there endeavouring to upset the odds?? damn right i do, every time.

micls
09/06/2006, 3:24 PM
looking at the ivory coast flag at the opening ceremony you could nearly pretend we are there if you want......comon ivory coast :)

jbyrne
09/06/2006, 3:33 PM
i can kinda see where you are coming from, there is an element of ''lets all just sit back and enjoy it'' now thet the stinging disappointment of not making it has faded a bit, and we can now do so without having to endure Ian Fuuckin Hartes ''performances'' and the prospect of the pain of that penalty debacle v 10 man spain etc etc coming round again in a differing fixture and ultimately ending in exit from the big gig.......but neither will there be the roof punching euphoria of Keanes equaliser v germany or Duffs cool as fcuk 'oriental bow' celebration v the Saudis and so on to enjoy,

i know we arent as good as the big boys of the world stage, most likely never will be, but do i want our eleven little green soldiers of mixed and sometimes limited ability, out there endeavouring to upset the odds?? damn right i do, every time.

good post. sums up most Irish fans feelings at the moment i would imagine

eirebhoy
09/06/2006, 3:40 PM

KOH
You don't support Ireland so I can see why you wouldn't want them being in the world cup, living in the country and all that. Nothing can match watching Ireland in the world cup for me, nothing could probably match watching Rovers in the Champions league for you.

WeAreRovers
09/06/2006, 4:26 PM
You don't support Ireland so I can see why you wouldn't want them being in the world cup, living in the country and all that. Nothing can match watching Ireland in the world cup for me, nothing could probably match watching Rovers in the Champions league for you.

That's it in a nutshell...........mind you I might be waiting a while to see Rovers in the CL.

KOH

Fergie's Son
09/06/2006, 4:57 PM
At least you are honest.

Very odd that you are posting on an Ireland forum though. There is an EL forum and a World Cup forum for you as well

Gutted we aren't there. I'd be in Germany right now having a few too many.

Instead, I am "watching" the first match on the Guardian's website here in the US.

CraftyToePoke
09/06/2006, 7:01 PM
mind you I might be waiting a while to see Rovers in the CL.

yeah, theres the slight matter of our threatening to dissappear into the distance to deal with for a start, in the good ole eircom 1st.....:)

DmanDmythDledge
09/06/2006, 9:10 PM

KOH
We were voted best fans of the last World Cup.:rolleyes:

Condex
11/06/2006, 10:58 AM
I still think people are underestimating Kerr. If the players could lose the fear factor they'd be in Germany now.

If Kerr could have lost the fear factor we would have been in Germany now!!
He looked like a bunny in the headlights...

Emmet
11/06/2006, 9:33 PM
I have a feeling if we had gotten to Germany it would have been more like 1994 than 1990 or 2002 - perhaps we would have got out of the group but we would have been properly shown up by someone sooner or later. Our current crop of players are poor (with three or four exceptions). Very Poor!

Having said that, it still hurts that we aren't there :)

Superhoops
11/06/2006, 9:37 PM
If Kerr could have lost the fear factor we would have been in Germany now!!
He looked like a bunny in the headlights...
Without wishing to open this all up again, lets not forget that our 'big game' players did not perform consistently enough throughout the qualifying campaign, Damian Duff, Roy Keane and Robbie Keane in particular.

Feech
11/06/2006, 9:46 PM
We were voted best fans of the last World Cup.:rolleyes:

By who?

Source please.

DmanDmythDledge
11/06/2006, 9:47 PM
By who?

Source please.
I read it on BBC ceefax at the time. I will look for a link now.

Emmet
11/06/2006, 9:54 PM
The only thing about Kerr that really got to me was his preference for Carr over Finnan - apart from that he seemed well organised and tactically sound. The players were the ones who capitulated against Israel (twice). That is why we didn't qualify! As someone posted earlier in this thread they aren't very strong as people and probably the weakest (in terms of their mental toughness) we have had for a good twenty years.

lopez
11/06/2006, 10:30 PM
I'll enjoy it even more when the tans are coming home, you're coming home, the Tans are coming home, you're coming home...:D

I reckon Spain will finally come good...Ojala! hombre, ojala!

Looking forward to it more that we're not in it. Despise fake football fans.What are you? The f*cking fan taliban?:rolleyes:

We are sh*te and dont deserve to be there, and it'll only get worse with Muppet Stan in chargeOne simple question to you son. Were you born before or after France '98?

Dodge
11/06/2006, 11:32 PM
What are you? The f*cking fan taliban?:rolleyes:

I wish...

onenilgameover
12/06/2006, 12:04 AM
Have my wall-chart on the wall and I'm tryin to get into it. It stings when i get asked unbelievably stupid questions like ''are you really disappointed we're not there?'' by my girlfriend and statements like ''i can't believe we're not there'' by my sister. I was in Croatia on holiday and they we're warming up for the world cup with various stuff on tv etc etc, that made me sad too..

Condex
12/06/2006, 10:04 AM
Without wishing to open this all up again, lets not forget that our 'big game' players did not perform consistently enough throughout the qualifying campaign, Damian Duff, Roy Keane and Robbie Keane in particular.

I agree the players let him down, but wouldn't call Duff a 'big game' player
can't remember the last time he played well in a match of any importance...

Poor Student
12/06/2006, 10:09 AM
It pains me that we're not there. I could really have gone to this one. I'm sick of watching tournaments that we're not at. That said, I have watched every game so far and I am enjoying it. It does allow you to relax and soak it up in a different sort of way.

jbyrne
12/06/2006, 10:13 AM
By who?

Source please.

japanese fans signed a petition and handed it into their football association asking for a friendly to be arranged with Ireland so as the fans would come back. cant rem hearing them do that for any other set of fans. also heres a link for you….

http://www.seoulshamrock.co.kr/irish_fans_the_best.htm

bwagner
12/06/2006, 10:32 AM
Roll on SA 2010! ...... yea right roll on the nike cup if were even invited or the milk cup up the north the boys can play the kid teams and we may have a chance of winning the whole thing........
WE BADLY NEEDED SOME NEW EXPERICENCED QUALITY MANAGER , ENTER STAUNTON...WELL DONE FAI AGAIN

ramondo
13/06/2006, 5:41 AM
I'm still gutted we didn't qualify for Spain '82.

Staying up till 2 o'c to see the Aussies beat Japan was pretty good though. At least there's local interest and it isn't England.

Reality Bites
13/06/2006, 7:47 AM
Guus Hiddink is a wonderful coach and is everything Brian Kerr wasn't, he is tactically astute, a risk taker and knows how to make the right subs, Brian Kerrs inabilities as a manager and the players silent mutiny at the end is why we're all home while probably one of the best venues in the world is hosting what is already a very entertaining tournament..

By the way how much longer will Mourinhos stifling of various topclass footballer talents be allowed to continue, Michael Essien was superb last nite for Ghana, and i thought he was ordinary all season for chelsea..Are you watch Damien Duff?