PDA

View Full Version : Jerry McCabe Documentary

cheifo
07/06/2006, 6:37 PM
Anybody see this?Thought it was fairly well put together.Cant beleive it is ten years since this happened .I didnt remember the funeral been so large.Thought the bits about witness intimidation were fairly shocking.
Walsh the head of the gang who shot him came across as an unrepentant pscyho.

joeSoap
09/06/2006, 11:04 AM
Walsh the head of the gang who shot him came across as an unrepentant pscyho.There aren't words that describe the piece of scum...."did it for the cause" my arse... Thet did it cos they're robbing, murdering scum.

paul_oshea
14/06/2006, 1:25 PM
they literally sprayed the car with bullets. fooken terrible.

im from caislean riabhach, and my neighbour is a prison warden down there, he says he( and all wardens )sees them as much as he sees me and i live in London and im home about 3 times a year!!!!!

$Leon$
14/06/2006, 1:52 PM
The scum seem to be having a great time in prison down there.
Paul Williams had an article in the Sunday World last week where he claimed that the sewers need unblocking every so often because these murders are having the wifes and girlfriends in regularly and throwing their used condons down the jacks and blocking them.

Apparantly they don't even eat the prison food they get food delivered 3 times a day. It seems a bit like the scene from Goodfellas where they're all in prison cooking lobster and drinking wine.I'm sure they have a massive plasma and a few kegs in for the World Cup (or would they be into foreign games?)

The IRA have the line that all of their members in prison are glorious warriors fighting the brits. Prime example would be that "great republican hero" Bobby Sands who was in jail for burning down a closed furniture shop.

cheifo
14/06/2006, 3:32 PM
Adams did not do himself any favours either the way he spoke down to Ann McCabe.BTW how come everythings gone quiet regarding the bank raid money.

lim abroad
14/06/2006, 3:42 PM
the way he danced around her question reminded me of yer man in killinaskully peter power the politician

pete
15/06/2006, 9:48 AM
Keep it on topic folks.

Did not see the documentary but whats the latest status of these prisoners - how long were they sentenced for & how long they got left?

I've no doubt they would be greeted as heros on their release...

joeSoap
15/06/2006, 10:04 AM
Did not see the documentary but whats the latest status of these prisoners - how long were they sentenced for & how long they got left?

I've no doubt they would be greeted as heros on their release...
They plea-bargained themselves a manslaughter charge and a 14 year sentence. This was opposed to a Capital Murder charge and life meaning at least 40 years. Our Government were too lily-livered to press ahead with the Capital Murder charge, and settled for what they could get.

Their sentence goes back to 1996 when they were arrested, with the exception of McAuley(1998), so they will be released in 2010.

Its disgusting.

cheifo
15/06/2006, 10:22 AM
The reason they got a manslaughter charge was according to the documentary the witnesses recieved phone calls/visits and were "terrified".
Sinn Fein told their lads to do a bit of time so they wouldnt have to put up with a backlash.Why does our media who are obsessed with financial scandals from the eighties not badger Adams and SF about this?I mean
witness intimidation?We are meant to be a modern country for God sake.

Roverstillidie
15/06/2006, 12:31 PM
firstly bobby sands was arrested because he was in a car with a gun in the boot.

secondly the capital murder charges were dropped partially because of the kicking the guys got from the cops, next defence witness up was the governor who was going to say he sent them straight to hospital on recieving them.

interesting they avoided the question of what one of the gardai in the car did to earn one (and it was only one of them) of the robbers spraying him and his collegue with bullets.

leather
15/06/2006, 1:14 PM
firstly bobby sands was arrested because he was in a car with a gun in the boot.

secondly the capital murder charges were dropped partially because of the kicking the guys got from the cops, next defence witness up was the governor who was going to say he sent them straight to hospital on recieving them.

interesting they avoided the question of what one of the gardai in the car did to earn one (and it was only one of them) of the robbers spraying him and his collegue with bullets.

Alas the apologist! how do you earn being sprayed with bullets...? oh sorry doing your job as a garda, upholding a peaceful society.....

Roverstillidie
15/06/2006, 1:24 PM
Alas the apologist! how do you earn being sprayed with bullets...? oh sorry doing your job as a garda, upholding a peaceful society.....

far from it, just the show was (understandibly) a vehicle for ann mccabe and doesnt address a fundamental question: why did walsh break disciple and shoot the specific cops in that car? it wasnt the random killing of any old garda.

there is more to this murder than the show was willing to delve into.

leather
15/06/2006, 1:40 PM
Point Taken...pls Elaborate...

Roverstillidie
15/06/2006, 5:56 PM
the story i heard at the time from a fenian i know was, and i add this is just his version and cannot be in any way shape or form backed up, that gda ben o'sullivan had a lot of previous with walsh and when walsh was on the run o'sullivan pulled a gun on walshs wife and tried to scare his whereabouts out of her.

walsh heard this and swore to kill him next time he saw him. which was adare.

probably ******, but the story i heard at the time which may or may not explain why one of the IRA men went dipso instead of doing what he was there to do.

pete
15/06/2006, 6:44 PM
the story i heard at the time from a fenian i know was, and i add this is just his version and cannot be in any way shape or form backed up, that gda ben o'sullivan had a lot of previous with walsh and when walsh was on the run o'sullivan pulled a gun on walshs wife and tried to scare his whereabouts out of her.

walsh heard this and swore to kill him next time he saw him. which was adare.

probably ******, but the story i heard at the time which may or may not explain why one of the IRA men went dipso instead of doing what he was there to do.

Even if true in no way excuses the killing & actually makes it worse as could be argued was premeditated.

This issues does bring topic of why prisoners would be treated differently for similar crimes in the North & South. I am sure must be a few jailed for killing RUC members during robberies?

joeSoap
15/06/2006, 10:37 PM
secondly the capital murder charges were dropped partially because of the kicking the guys got from the cops, next defence witness up was the governor who was going to say he sent them straight to hospital on recieving them.Total and absolute bullsh1t and an attempt to sway public opinion away from the reality of the situation. If they were kicked to within an inch of their lives, which I truly hope they were, this could not have been brought up as evidence in court, and it was not a mitigating factor in why the Capital Murder charges were dropped. The injured arrestees had the right to have charges brought against the gardai for assault if they so desired to try, but this would have been a totally seperate issue, and nothing at all to do with the fact that prior to these beatings they murdered a detective. The Capital Murder charges were dropped because the government sh1t themselves over the Good Friday agreement and thought they would lose the prosecution altogether. They would have done, only for public outcry.

interesting they avoided the question of what one of the gardai in the car did to earn one (and it was only one of them) of the robbers spraying him and his collegue with bullets.Interesting how you develop these 'opinions', or have them drip-fed to you. Ask yourself why Walsh was on the run in the first place. And please don't honestly tell me that they knew that Ben O'Sullivan was on that checkpoint at 6 o'clock in the morning. They went there with armed robbery in mind, pure and simple. Nobody knows why shots were fired, but it has been proven forensically that the first shots were from the jeep that rammed the unmarked squad car.

This was capital murder, pure and simple, and these bastrads deserve nothing more than pure misery and hell for the rest of their lives.

Roverstillidie
16/06/2006, 12:34 AM
joe, i have tried to put forward an explaination GIVEN TO ME by someone who is clued into these sorts of things, and i get that abuse? drip fed? what are you on about.

i am not trying to justify this by any stretch, bit the eye witnessess reported a nothern accent (presumably mccauly) screaming at the gun man 'what the **** are you at, get in the car'. check the court transcripts and the press at the time. it clearly, and no-one ever claimed, was not a murder mission. but they did murder a garda. why? why did one of the gang lose the head and spray 2 cops with bullets against a: orders and b: standing provo rules?

im not in any, way shape or form defending this crime Joe despite your rant, but there is something else going on here and i heard it was a vendetta.

the IRA men were beaten up. thats a legal technicality right there. see when i used the word PARTIALLY. i have no doubt the boys did there best to harass witnessess, sure some did time for contempt (another debate) but i am saying the cops did themselves no favours by hospitalising them. and letting rte capture them going to hospital in stretchers.

and your last bit there helps proves that guy i know's thesis despite yourself. they DIDNT know he would be there. it was 1 provo losing the head against a cop he had a beef with.

now joe, could you think before you reply. im not a provo. i think what happend in adare was appaling, even if walsh didnt lose the plot.

whats the point of 'its been proved forensically'? no one disargrees who shot the 2 guys, the question is why?

cheifo
16/06/2006, 1:05 AM
Robert McCartney found out what happens when provos lose their code of "discipline".Also in similar style to this case there was a so called whispering caimpaign started to damage the reputation of McCartney and then his sisters.Hard to believe this is not a tactic used to justify the indefencible.

Roverstillidie
16/06/2006, 1:45 AM
Robert McCartney found out what happens when provos lose their code of "discipline".Also in similar style to this case there was a so called whispering caimpaign started to damage the reputation of McCartney and then his sisters.Hard to believe this is not a tactic used to justify the indefencible.

agreed, but im not trying to justify anything.

there was a bar brawl in the mccartney incident that ended in murder and a cover up by the local IRA.

all im saying is that something doesnt fit in the way the mccabe killing was reported. thats not to justify the murder by any stretch, but why did this guy snap at that place at that time?

Strabane_Harp
16/06/2006, 10:07 AM
Pearse McAuley's release date is in fact early 2008, not sure about the others.

joeSoap
16/06/2006, 10:24 AM
Pearse McAuley's release date is in fact early 2008, not sure about the others.Why is he granted early release? He got a 14 year sentence like the others, meaning he shouldn't get out til 2010 at the very earliest. I'll be very surprised if any of these murdering scum are released early. Hopefully they'll all meet with painful, violent deaths like that they inflicted on an innocent man.

Strabane_Harp
16/06/2006, 10:37 AM
No idea, but he will be released 2008

prob to do with remission

Strabane_Harp
16/06/2006, 10:39 AM
Why is he granted early release? He got a 14 year sentence like the others, meaning he shouldn't get out til 2010 at the very earliest. I'll be very surprised if any of these murdering scum are released early. Hopefully they'll all meet with painful, violent deaths like that they inflicted on an innocent man.

well Joe as was brought out in the trial McAuley had to be stopped from physically attacking one of his colleagues who opened fire. his longer sentence was more down to his previous convictions and reputation

joeSoap
16/06/2006, 10:52 AM
prob to do with remissionI think the government are adamant that there will be no remission. And rightly so....

well Joe as was brought out in the trial McAuley had to be stopped from physically attacking one of his colleagues who opened fire. his longer sentence was more down to his previous convictions and reputationGod...you nearly had me feeling sorry for poor old Pearse there...

pete
16/06/2006, 11:15 AM
Even if the guards beat up the killers that hardly a reason to drop a capital murder charge. Its not as if the beat them up & they confested so only evidence is the confession?

If only hanging was still an option...

Roverstillidie
16/06/2006, 3:14 PM
Hopefully they'll all meet with painful, violent deaths like that they inflicted on an innocent man.

?

whats the moral difference between that keyboard hard man routine and kevin walshe? :rolleyes:

you would be more credible condemning violence if you werent propogating it

Strabane_Harp
16/06/2006, 5:40 PM
Even if the guards beat up the killers that hardly a reason to drop a capital murder charge. Its not as if the beat them up & they confested so only evidence is the confession?

id imagine the droppin of the charge was part of a plea bargain offered by the free state. Maybe the evidence for capital murder wasnt as clear as they wanted and the free state didnt want them goin free from court and bein unable to charge them with anything again.

cheifo
16/06/2006, 8:37 PM
It has been widely reported that witnesses were not prepared to give evidence after been intimidated.

pete
17/06/2006, 4:19 PM
id imagine the droppin of the charge was part of a plea bargain offered by the free state. Maybe the evidence for capital murder wasnt as clear as they wanted and the free state didnt want them goin free from court and bein unable to charge them with anything again.

What country are you referring to again? I find that term offensive.

Strabane_Harp
17/06/2006, 6:29 PM
just like we up north find offensive how we were abandoned by the free state.

to quote Tom Maguire 'its a republic when we have 32 counties, its a job half done while we have 26'

but that doesnt really come into the argument of what the provos did

Speranza
17/06/2006, 10:19 PM
There can be no excuse for the murder and it shows the current state of the republican movement. Heroes like Bobby Sands, Connolly would be turning in their graves if they knew about Mc Cartney, Mc Cabe and the way Sinn Fein generally conduct their affairs.

Finding the term Free State offensive is hilarious but typical of you Pete. Your posts constantly suggest a hatred of republicanism but it's nice to see you hate the term that sums up your own views. What exactly is your problem with the assertion that the 26 are free and the 6 are not? Are you McDowell is disguise?

pete
18/06/2006, 3:15 PM
What exactly is your problem with the assertion that the 26 are free and the 6 are not?

I am a citizen of the Republic of Ireland. The fact that 6 counties of this island are not politically part of that country is no reason to insult citizen of the Republic (definition below). Is it my fault there isn't a 32 country Irish Republic? have i done something to prevent this happening?

A political order in which the supreme power lies in a body of citizens who are entitled to vote for officers and representatives responsible to them.

I'd love to see a democratic all-island Irish state but I oppose terrorism as I don't think you can pick & choose causes. I oppose terrorists & politicans who want to assume power in this country but won't recognise its democractically elected government & organs of State.

You have a vote in Northern Ireland. It just happens the majority of people want to be part of the UK. Adding the 6 counties to the Republic would not be democratic.

Speranza
18/06/2006, 4:01 PM
I oppose terrorism

So you oppose the origins of the state you claim to be a citizen of? The old adage of "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter" is totally lost on free-staters like yourself. Using your rigid definition of terorism great men like Nelson Mandela would be cast as criminals. Take it down from the mast Irish traitor.........

RonnieB
19/06/2006, 1:24 AM
They live the lifes of kings down in Castlerea, I used to/will do again soon live just a few miles away. Would have liked to see the documentary and see that scum bag adams give his condescending little spiel.

Just shows how far the Republican movement has gone from its origins. A bunch of common thugs and criminals is all they are now.

Speranza
19/06/2006, 4:54 PM
Just shows how far the Republican movement has gone from its origins. A bunch of common thugs and criminals is all they are now.

Let no more be said than that. There is no longer an acceptable Republican party on this island.

paul_oshea
21/06/2006, 4:05 PM
There can be no excuse for the murder and it shows the current state of the republican movement. Heroes like Bobby Sands, Connolly would be turning in their graves if they knew about Mc Cartney, Mc Cabe and the way Sinn Fein generally conduct their affairs.

well, eh, if sands knew what he and his fellow hunger strikers who died, were really used for, then i think shortly after 1981 he would have been turning in his grave at sinn fein etc.

ronnieB where did you live? a few miles from caslterea? out in the sticks literally then, like ballymoe or somewhere?!?!

Speranza
21/06/2006, 4:23 PM
well, eh, if sands knew what he and his fellow hunger strikers who died, were really used for, then i think shortly after 1981 he would have been turning in his grave at sinn fein etc.

I wouldn't say they were used. The natural reaction to their death was a consolidation of support for Republican groups, it was IMO a case of natural increase in votes for SF rather than any cynical plot.

Mental Man
21/06/2006, 9:33 PM
lads dont be calling the provos- Sinn Fein, the provos was formed in 1970 as provisional sinn fein, the old sinn fein was formed early in this century and have no resemblence to the murdering bunch of scum that we see today, it makes me laugh to see the scum trying to celebrate 100 years, they should be celebrating 35 years, actually they should really be called Republican Fianna Fail, cos thats where they came from, pure evil scum.

cheifo
21/06/2006, 9:49 PM
Fair play to you for Speranza for condemning the murder outright.Too many Northern republicans/Nationalist find it impossible to speak out against an injustice perpetrated by someone from the same "side".
Dont want to go off topic but in a word are the SDLP not a viable alterative?

Block G Raptor
22/06/2006, 9:02 AM
SDLP not a viable alterative?
NO! They've been provenm to be weak when it comes to negotiating and the people of Northern Ireland have voted with there feet. SF has more democratic support thats democracy !

Lionel Ritchie
22/06/2006, 9:47 AM
NO! They've been provenm to be weak when it comes to negotiating and the people of Northern Ireland have voted with there feet. SF has more democratic support thats democracy !

An astute observation BGR ...not being in a position or of a mindset to turn the violence on and off like a tap certainly weakened the SDLPs bargaining power.

Not being a position to say "deal with us ...or deal with these other people who've nails through the end of hurleys and much worse besides" handicapped them too.

RonnieB
22/06/2006, 1:27 PM

ronnieB where did you live? a few miles from caslterea? out in the sticks literally then, like ballymoe or somewhere?!?!

Ballinlough, paul.

Speranza
22/06/2006, 2:03 PM
Fair play to you for Speranza for condemning the murder outright.Too many Northern republicans/Nationalist find it impossible to speak out against an injustice perpetrated by someone from the same "side".

Nail on head there. It's the same with Haughey, depsite his corrupt ways the majority of nationalists remember the man fondly because of his leanings. It's the tribal way of things up here that allows Sinn Fein to rule the roost without fear of backlash from the grassroots. Robert Mc Cartney for example -outside the Short Strand no republican really cared that an innocent man was killed. I am a Republican but I refuse to ever accept Sinn Fein just because they are the only republican party.

are the SDLP not a viable alterative

Durkan is a weak leader lacking in charisma and their policies are far too light for many. My main gripe with them is that I don't agree with joining the policing board while Special Branch continue to act as conspirators with Loyalist Paramilitaries and murders of Finucaine and Nelson go uninvestigated.

paul_oshea
22/06/2006, 2:29 PM
Ballinlough, paul.

your not the lad whose parents own the tap, or used to even, one to frequent bruxelles.

so ye scored for lough harps reserve? do they even have a reserve team!?!?! :D

RonnieB
22/06/2006, 11:43 PM
we used to paul many moons ago, I havent played in nearly 5 years. And no, im not the fella whose parents owned the tap, I know who you are thinking of though he hasnt been around in a long time. That said I used to spend a large amount of my time there ;) Anyway for fear of taking the thread any further off topic any more roscommon questions sure send us a pm!