PDA

View Full Version : Looking for views on Dolan from Cork

gufct
07/06/2006, 9:05 AM
and St. Pats Fans.

Im sure you all know by now that Dolers is being touted as the new messiah for Galway United. Im very sceptical myself and feel that short term gain might not be worth the long term cost to the club.

If the Admin wants to move this to the GUFC forum i have no problem with it just thought I might get more feedback from here.

Peadar
07/06/2006, 9:13 AM
Don't let him near your club. He's grand where he is, behind a desk at Setanta Sports. Putting Nick Leeson and Pat Dolan together in an eircom League melting pot can only end in tears. You might one season of promise and expectation but you'll be left with nothing.

Danny
07/06/2006, 9:29 AM
As a manager he's ok, if he gets anymore power than that ur fcuked.
he wont be happy as just a manager tho and will try all he can to get as many job titles for him or his mate wallace as possible.
Wouldnt recommend taking him on, the first season or 2 will probably be a success but in the end it wont be worth it.

Oh and ps - he doesnt like "internet fans"....

Pablo
07/06/2006, 9:35 AM
he wont be happy as just a manager tho and will try all he can to get as many job titles for him or his mate wallace as possible.
Wouldnt recommend taking him on, the first season or 2 will probably be a success but in the end it wont be worth it.

Oh and ps - he doesnt like "internet fans"....

PR wise he'd be a dream. but dont leave him spend............

Terry
07/06/2006, 9:40 AM
The position going is Manager/director of football

Pablo
07/06/2006, 9:43 AM
The position going is Manager/director of football

There are huge pluses to getting him on board. Profile, professionalism etc etc but a cloud hangs over his last 3 clubs. Ask yourself why is he not liked by the majority of Pats, Waterford and City fans?

He has his sycophants no doubt who worship him like Smithers to Burns but they are the minority

harpskid
07/06/2006, 10:39 AM
**awaiting customary rant from Dolan about how Galway was always his favourite club...so much potential...he'll bring success....**

Stick with Felix on Setanta Pat!

Dodge
07/06/2006, 10:41 AM
I'll leave this one to aface...

Peadar
07/06/2006, 10:44 AM
I believe Roddy Collins is available! :D

Terry
07/06/2006, 10:58 AM
**awaiting customary rant from Dolan about how Galway was always his favourite club...so much potential...he'll bring success....**

Stick with Felix on Setanta Pat!

I believe Roddy Collins is available!

nothing to do with the title...."looking for view on dolan from cork and pats fans" Anyone? or is it a case of if you have nothing good to say best say nothing at all?:o

sullanefc
07/06/2006, 11:06 AM
nothing to do with the title...."looking for view on dolan from cork and pats fans" Anyone? or is it a case of if you have nothing good to say best say nothing at all?:o

There you go ;)

gufct
07/06/2006, 11:28 AM
reason it was posted here was because the "Blinkered View" on our own forum where Pat is seen as a demi god.

Roverstillidie
07/06/2006, 11:47 AM

introducing the SUPERHERRINGS!

Patrick Dunne
07/06/2006, 12:02 PM
Regardless of his off-pitch "issues" his managerial record is excellent.

Lasts years miracle escape by Waterford, league success at St Pats, European run with Cork City.

A properly run club with a proper structure should be able to handle his ego.
He would put 500 on the gates at Terryland straight away.

Dricky
07/06/2006, 12:03 PM
Don't get me started......

pete
07/06/2006, 12:16 PM
Dolan brings a lot of publicity to a club but unsure what value can be put on that unless it brings in extra sponsorship.

He is a very good man manager & will motivate players to win. He will also convince players to join the club through his enthuasism. However i am unsure about his tactical ability & while he did improve the confidence of the Cork City squad i am also unsure he if really improved the players ability.

Dricky
07/06/2006, 12:17 PM
Regardless of his off-pitch "issues" his managerial record is excellent.

Lasts years miracle escape by Waterford, league success at St Pats, European run with Cork City.

A properly run club with a proper structure should be able to handle his ego.
He would put 500 on the gates at Terryland straight away.

Now I was always the Anti Dolan crowd so...
Ha ha ha ha ha, that is someone who has been listening to Dolan already and not the clubs that have had him.

He did such a good job with Waterford they are applying for the english premiership. If Galway are looking for survival go for him, he saved them from relegation no more than that.

He got a run at Cork, at a time they were turning full time, that would improve any team. Yes he put work in but the movement to full time had nothing to do with him. He try's to be a friend of all. He tried to turn the players on Lennox regarding the training grounds. Spent and won nothing. Couldn't get to grips with Shels.

Pat's are only recovering and if it wasn't for the people in that club who don't look for the plaudits, richmond park would be a apartment block and Pat no more.

Short term solutions are his speciality and that can bankrupt clubs.

Dricky
07/06/2006, 12:25 PM

Dodge, save time....just copy and paste some old comments :D

A face
07/06/2006, 2:06 PM

There is actually no point .... if Galway cant read the signs now then there is no hope and nothing any of us will change that. If you are looking to employ someone, grounds to go ahead and do that would largely be based on that persons track record. If its pathetic, then that should decide for you.

There is argument against and that is fair enough, but in that scenario you'd have to have some sort of a qualitative approach, you'd weight up the pros and cons .... imo the cons far out weight the pros.

All this along with Galway actually seem to be getting the act together and progressing, its seems like a crazy decision. If that progression were to keep going the way it is, doing the ground work behind the scenes, then it would ensure there have a much better chance of staying in top flight as soon as they get there.

I'd be looking at who is making the decision right now and trying to assess are they capable of making the right one. Given the climate in Irish football and the fact its about to change big time, alot of the shoddy underhanded practices will be found out fairly fast (in theory anyway) and clubs like Galway should steer away from people who ........ struggling to word this one .... steer away from people who directly or indirectly, who are not in their best interests.

coislaoi
07/06/2006, 2:35 PM
The short answer to this one, imho, is no. If you want a short term boost, then he is definitely the man. He is, no doubt, very charismatic but he tends to have favourites and if you are not in with him you are fĂșcked. He will want to control EVERYTHING - from the team to the finances to the running of the club. Unless he is Chairman/Chief Executive/Team Manager/Finance Director (even though nominally someone else may have 3 of those titles) he won't be interested in staying with you.

There is a pattern to his involvement in clubs - just ask other City fans or St Pats fans. He starts off well and then gets far too immersed in club issues that have nothing to do with team management.

Jerry The Saint
07/06/2006, 4:26 PM
Despite the negative aspects of his track record, this could be a good move by Galway, given the current climate. Having an enthusiastic Pat Dolan selling their future plans in front of Niall Quinn's committee may just tip the balance by giving them a slight edge over the likes of say, Bray and Limerick

passerrby
07/06/2006, 6:19 PM
in a few months he will be telling the public in the tabloids how the board they are killing his chances of winning the eufa cup by not giving him more money.. or as pat says " you have no vision.

Pablo Escobar
07/06/2006, 6:25 PM
Who do people think has wasted more money in their life-time.......Nick or Pat? :D

A face
07/06/2006, 8:26 PM
Who do people think has wasted more money in their life-time.......Nick or Pat? :D

Having listened to Dolan and Leeson, i'd have to say Leeson sounds far more reasoned and logical, grounded if you will. Just my opinion though.

Colm
07/06/2006, 10:28 PM
A lot of City fans (well internet City fans anyway) turned against him with little reason after he left but don't let that cloud peoples judgement.
Until he was sacked, they all thought he was the greatest thing ever to happen to the club. Some of our fans turn on everyone, sure there were even people having a go at Rico less than two weeks ago.

He brought us to within one game of winning the league and built a team which went on to win it the following year. He also gave us the best European run any Irish team had achieved up to that.
So you should have no worries on the football side. He's no better or worse than Rico or Kenny and that is a good standard.

It's off the field he will really bring major benefits though. He was instrumental in bring Nissan on board as our sponsors (biggest deal in Irish football) and unfortunately now that he's gone it appears they no longer want to renew their deal. Hopefully Brian Lennox can change their minds on that but the rumours are worrying.
We were getting massive crowds at the time, the Cork public really bought into his Rebel Army, Dublin bias, us against the world kind of thing. His personality can draw the crowds.

I'm sure he has his faults too (as I'm sure others will to point out in reply to this) but he'd be an asset to any club imo, whether as a team manager or commercial/PR manager.

Risteard
08/06/2006, 2:18 AM
A lot of City fans (well internet City fans anyway) turned against him with little reason after he left but don't let that cloud peoples judgement.
I'd say a large majority.
People can judge for themselves asto whether it was little reason. However, I would definately advise gufct to LET the opinion of the majority cloud his judgement.
About 9 people believe he was the greatest thing to happen to the club . . . . . . . strongly.:)

We might be a fickle/passionate bunch.
That doesn't mean I'm not entitled to change my mind on Dolan (who i was a great fan of and supported) and back Lennoxs decision.
I'm sure Dodge thought he was the bees knees at one stage as did the Waterford fans.
Best European run any side had achieved up to that? Really? 2 Inter-toto ties?
Rebel Army was Brian Lennoxs creation (i think???).
Dublin bias, us against the world thing (http://homepage.eircom.net/~drogvideos/richardson127.mp3).
No better (http://www.soccerbot.com/fai/tables/irprem2005.htm) or worse (http://www.soccerbot.com/fai/tables/irprem2004.htm) than Richardson?
Well, better or worse?
Remember Dolan had superstars Doyle and Long for more than 10 or 11 games, wasn't having his players unsettled and didn't have the aforementioned "fans that turn on everyone" calling for his and the chairmans head outside the ground.
No doubting Pat Dolans ability to bring attention to the club.
GUFC just have to ask themselves is it worth it?

razor
08/06/2006, 8:23 AM
Dolan is passionate but was not in any way realistic about spending money, especially when it was other peoples, kinda like Leeson really. Lennox had to cut the cord and in doing do saved CCFC from ruin.
Even after his sacking Pat hung around the club and the city like a bad smell.
Then 2 of our better prospects left, accompanied by Pat, to a club where his twin brother is head of the academy, then he was gone.

sullanefc
08/06/2006, 8:26 AM
He has his sycophants no doubt who worship him like Smithers to Burns but they are the minority

Until he was sacked, they all thought he was the greatest thing ever to happen to the club.

He certainly has both detractors and followers ;)

A face
08/06/2006, 12:51 PM
No doubting Pat Dolans ability to bring attention to the club.

All publicity is good publicity, even if its bad !! :eek: :p

CuanaD
08/06/2006, 1:36 PM
There's no such thing as bad publicity:cool:

pete
08/06/2006, 1:46 PM
Dolan is like a cult leader in the way he can command loyalty from supporters years after his departure. :)

The whole dublin bias thing was ok for a while but got tiresome especially to city fans based in Dublin.

Peadar
08/06/2006, 1:50 PM
The whole "them against us" mentality doesn't work in a league as small as ours. All the clubs depend on each other to make this league a success.

wws
08/06/2006, 2:07 PM
My report on Pat Dolan.

Pat Dolan works for Setanta Sports. The head of Setanta Sports is a Mr. Johnston or John Stone.

razor
08/06/2006, 3:31 PM
Dolan is like a cult leader Little typo there pete.

Jerry The Saint
08/06/2006, 3:31 PM
There's no such thing as bad publicity:cool:

Tell that to Gary Glitter!

NY Hoop
08/06/2006, 4:22 PM
Dolan is like a cult leader in the way he can command loyalty from supporters years after his departure. :)

The whole dublin bias thing was ok for a while but got tiresome especially to city fans based in Dublin.

Tiresome too for every other EL fan. Unfortunately Damien has caught the same bug...........

KOH

passerrby
08/06/2006, 4:48 PM
razor is right Cult was not the word you were looking for but close

kdjaC
08/06/2006, 8:23 PM
/Pats fan

When he was at the club i didnt like him much, he bought and played Marcus Hallows!!!

His managerial cant be argued with, the 3 clubs he got playing.

Off field this is where it gets clouded, at Pats we had missing funds which were invested in things that never came off and we struggled financially BUT the reason they didnt come off could be a lack of league winning and UEFA Cl money that another team got, it rightly left us in the **** and only now we may be coming out of it (altho im not too sure on that one, we have a lot of players).
Had that gone our way would he still be with us in some role, would we have a stadium?? Things that will never be answered and tbh money wise theres far worse at the club now then him.

At cork from the outside to me it seemed he wanted investing either Cork didnt back him or hadnt got the cash to back him, but he put bums on seats and built a league winning side. If i was Cork manager i would pull the republic of Cork thing too be madness not too. Again things unanswered would he have won the league last season??? Would Cork have a new shed by now due the income he brought???? The fact he was backed by the players in the training pitch incident says a lot too.

Waterford footballing role he got the job done.

If he takes over GUFC he will get them playing ball and increase the crowds and generate money....how can that be bad a thing??? Its not like they have millions to lose. Maybe he will answer some questions with a long term stay.

Maybe it will end in heartbreak but **** me he won leagues for us and i enjoyed it :)

kdjac

Dodge
08/06/2006, 9:06 PM
Off field this is where it gets clouded, at Pats we had missing funds
Yeah and funnilly enough he did VERY well out of Pats. Sorry but thats about as subtle as I can be on this...

Danny
09/06/2006, 8:20 AM
In his column in the star today he says he hopes the next person to ring him to offer hm a job is someone from the GAA, co they're his kind of ppl....
Article is about the eL taking a break for the WC while the GAA goes toe to toe with it.

passerrby
09/06/2006, 6:07 PM
yes sometimes he makes sense but only sometimes ,like the missus
p.s if there is a god in heaven please please gaa give him a bell

soccerc
09/06/2006, 10:34 PM
In his column in the star today he says he hopes the next person to ring him to offer hm a job is someone from the GAA, co they're his kind of ppl....
Article is about the eL taking a break for the WC while the GAA goes toe to toe with it.

Didn't Michael Barrymore have a show called something similar;)