PDA

View Full Version : Google ads/adds on websites.

paul_oshea
06/06/2006, 1:17 PM
i was having a big debate the last couple of weekends with a few mates in relation to this, I just cant understand how sites can make so much money practically all their money through advertising/marketing, without actually providing any "service" or support.

Anyhow I was just wondering, does anybody ever actually click on google adds, or click on adds in websites. I can honestly say i have never bought anything over the internet from seeing an add on a website. I probably have used google to search for companies I ALREADY know, but are unaware of the website. however these companies havent actually paid for an add slot on yahoo/google/whoever, they just come back via page ranking etc.

So I was just wondering, has anybody ever seen a google add clicked on it and bought what they were looking for, or do people generally already know the website ( not seen via a google ad/add on another website ) or do they use google adds etc.

I really want to see what people use. It will also strengthen/weaken my argument in the future!!!

Peadar
06/06/2006, 1:32 PM
I'd go along with you on this, Paul.
I've never clicked on a google ad at on a web page.

pete
06/06/2006, 1:33 PM
Have you bought something because you saw on a tv or newspaper advert?

paul_oshea
06/06/2006, 1:58 PM
pete, I can see where you are going on this, however I was pointing out to the lads that I was STILL paying a pound or whatever for this paper, I was directly contributing to the cost of creating this paper.

Anyhow that doesnt really matter. I generally go from word of mouth, but whcih is probably indirectly from an advert through the TV or something.

A face
07/06/2006, 12:07 AM
I probably have used google to search for companies I ALREADY know, but are unaware of the website. however these companies havent actually paid for an add slot on yahoo/google/whoever, they just come back via page ranking etc.

You can pay for page ranking aswell.

Roadend
07/06/2006, 9:08 AM
Have you bought something because you saw on a tv?

Only Cilit bang.

dahamsta
07/06/2006, 9:31 AM
Ah, the inimitable agency-invented (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Scott) Barry Scott.

adam