PDA

View Full Version : Viva Ucd

Sniffer
03/06/2006, 12:35 PM
I'm not a fan of the club, but a staunch admirer.They are a boon to the eL with their supply of fresh young talent. kids stay here to pursue their studies and their footbal careers thanks to them. A case in point! Ronan Finn was introduced late in last night's game v Derry. He's about 18 and spent a season or so with Cambridge United. He was studying for his Leaving Cert and flying across the Irish Sea at weekends to play in youth games and the odd reserve match.A lot of hassle especially if there were midweek games to play. Cambridge didn't want him to leave, but he has blossomed in the Students successful U-21 side, sufficiently so for Pete Mahon to give him a run agaiinst one of the top sides in the land. He's one to watch, and another reason for keeping UCD in the top league.

DmanDmythDledge
03/06/2006, 12:59 PM
Also Finn scored in his second ever game for UCD at the end of last season. He is definitely one to watch for the future.

Poor Student
03/06/2006, 2:47 PM
I have a great feeling about Finn. I think he could be best with deployed off the front one or two. Any time I've seen him he has shown a willingness to run beyond the strikers and took a good goal against Rovers last year. It'll probably be another year in the U-21s for him for the main part. I see him as a possible successor to Dicker if/when he leaves. Never knew about any of the Cambridge stuff.

sligoman
03/06/2006, 3:17 PM
Lads, their is a UCD forum located here (http://www.foot.ie/forumdisplay.php?f=21):p.

Poor Student
03/06/2006, 3:19 PM
Lads, their is a UCD forum located here (http://www.foot.ie/forumdisplay.php?f=21):p.

In true UCD fashion I'll remind you of your incorrect choice of spelling. It should be there.;) It belongs in this forum as the poster is highlighting UCD's benefit to the Eircom League as a whole and to aspiring young footballers from this country.

sligoman
03/06/2006, 3:27 PM
In true UCD fashion I'll remind you of your incorrect choice of spelling. It should be there.;)I disagree, if I was saying that the UCD forum is there then it would be spelt there but I'm not so I'm right.

Poor Student
03/06/2006, 3:30 PM
I disagree, if I was saying that the UCD forum is there then it would be spelt there but I'm not so I'm right.

Are you serious? You think your usage of "their" in that context is correct?

Sniffer
03/06/2006, 3:55 PM
It belongs in this forum as the poster is highlighting UCD's benefit to the Eircom League as a whole and to aspiring young footballers from this country.[/QUOTE]

This hombre, he speak the truth

Sniffer
03/06/2006, 3:57 PM
I have a great feeling about Finn. I think he could be best with deployed off the front one or two. Any time I've seen him he has shown a willingness to run beyond the strikers and took a good goal against Rovers last year. It'll probably be another year in the U-21s for him for the main part. I see him as a possible successor to Dicker if/when he leaves. Never knew about any of the Cambridge stuff.

They [ Cambridge] signed him from St. Kevin's, I talk to his father and he's been keeping me up to date with his progress.

Poor Student
03/06/2006, 4:39 PM
They [ Cambridge] signed him from St. Kevin's, I talk to his father and he's been keeping me up to date with his progress.

Are Cambridge keeping tabs on him or has the link been severed?

Roverstillidie
03/06/2006, 5:01 PM
i remeber about 5 years ago they signed a rake of journeymen like richie purdy. whats the balance today? how many are students, 'students' (jay shelock style) and others?

but i broadly agree, UCD are a great story, but the belfield stadium is a joke.

Conor H
03/06/2006, 5:03 PM
Are you serious? You think your usage of "their" in that context is correct?

He's from Sligo.....leave him alone.;)

Poor Student
03/06/2006, 5:08 PM
i remeber about 5 years ago they signed a rake of journeymen like richie purdy. whats the balance today? how many are students, 'students' (jay shelock style) and others?

Not entirely sure to be honest, RTID. Some of the younger players seem to have failed their exams and aren't students at all. If players have low points in the Leaving they generally get banged into Sports Management which has low requirements. The club actually foots the money for their scholarships so it's not that much of an issue. There's a decent mix of experience and youth in the squad this year. Players like Tony Mac, Alan McNally, Darragh Ryan and Alan Cawley have a good deal of experience and most of the younger lads have at least a season behind them.

Sniffer
04/06/2006, 11:19 AM
Are Cambridge keeping tabs on him or has the link been severed?
No, he's a UCD man now, just finished his first year in the College.

Student Mullet
05/06/2006, 11:43 PM
i remeber about 5 years ago they signed a rake of journeymen like richie purdy. whats the balance today? how many are students, 'students' (jay shelock style) and others?I'd say about half students with the majority of the rest 'students' and a few, like Tony Mac, are graduates or other former students.