PDA

View Full Version : UCD 0-0 Derry

John83
02/06/2006, 11:47 PM
Plucky Derry held mighty UCDD (pronounced "ocht-d...d...da"), to a draw this evening. Well, yesterday evening now. The game defied the current fashion of having a sending off, though McWalter and some Derry punter did get as far as shoving each other after the Derry punter had fouled McWalter, having missed the ball by about twenty yards.

The game started a few minutes later than usual, because we were on the telly. A non eL fan who watched tells me that Dolan and Healy were photoshopped to look like they were being conferred in some sort of effort to be clever. There. That Setanta bloke (that mustard shirt looked silly :p) was worried that STIG might not contain some anti-Setanta jibes this time, so they are necessary in the match report.

The calling out of the teams was somewhat prolonged, as UCD's PA decided to take the Derry fans to task for being rowdy while he was trying to make a charity appeal. Unfortunately, he doesn't speak the language of the Derry-hi, and the drumming and shouting through a loudhailer continued.

He took his revenge forty minutes later, announcing the first UCD substition in Rugby-speak. "Alan Mahon," Michael informed us, "retires due to a blood substition."

I seem to be missing most of the game out here, but I don't care. Anyone who does either went to the game or watched it in the pub. One fan's text from a pub, asking for a chant on TV with his name in it got "Deco, how's your ma" in return.

To sum up, Derry played okay but didn't threaten much, UCD were reaonable but didn't take any of their four chances (which, it should be noted, all fell in the same six second period), and everyone went home happy, especially Connor Salmon, who got his second consecutive man of the match award, and got to be interviewed on the telly. ("So Connor, did UCD want to win after losing to Derry the last two times they played?" "Nyeeh, sure... [cliché x5]". There were other enlightening questions, but I choose not to record them now, because my eyes are sore, and I want to go home).

Oh, and Darren Quigley spent much of the match doing his best Rene Higuita impersonation.

UCD: Quigley, Mahon (Matthews ~40), Shorthall, McNally, Kenna, Hurley (Finn ~70), McDonnell, Dicker, Ryan (Cawley ~60), McWalter, Salmon
All substitution times more or less made up to suit the narritive flow.

Attendance: c.400

I'm not drunk, honest.

pineapple stu
03/06/2006, 1:22 AM
Proper report...

UCD took a point from a tricky tie against Derry City in a open match which they arguably shaded, but in which they couldn't make their possession tell. In the end, the draw was the fair result, but UCD will look - not for the first time this season - at what might have been.

UCD made two changes from the team which won in Kilkenny - Brian Shortall was back from injury, replacing Alan Cawley (Tony McDonnell moved up to centre mid) and Stephen Hurley replaced Paul Byrne as the Students went for a 4-4-1-1 formation to counter Derry's attacking threat. Derry had Peter Hutton and Pat McCourt in the team despite injury worries.

A game played in blissful sunshine was slow to take off, although the quality of play was high from both teams. UCD's best chance of the half came just past the half our, when the Derry defence had to be alert to clear off their own line three times in the one attack - first from Tony McDonnell's header, and then from two attempts from Conor Sammon; the beleagured Derry defence eventually cleared for a corner. At the other end, Darren Quigley was using the occasion to showboat somewhat - coming out of his box to feint past Derry attackers on more than one occasion.

UCD were dealt a blow shortly before half time when Alan Mahon went off with a head wound - Jimmy-Lee Matthews came on in his place.

Derry keeper David Forde nearly gifted UCD an equaliser in the second half when he flapped at Stephen Hurley's cross; Conor Sammon was unable to capitalise, however.

Derry did have a good spell midway through the half, and Darren Quigley twice had to be smartly off his line to collect through balls, with former Student Ciarn Martyn lurking.

With 20 mintes to go, Derry had their best chance - a free kick found its way across the six-yard box, and Derry should have done better than to hit the side-netting, albeint from a narrow angle. UCD went up the other end of the pitch, and after Pat McWalter was fouled on the edge of the box, he was lucky to remain on the pitch after seemingly pushing his marker in the face; both players were shown yellow cards by referee Paul Tuite.

UCD finished the stronger, however, and again the Derry goal was fortunate to escape from a scramble; again, man-of-the-match Conor Sammon was heavily involved.

The last chance of the match also fell to UCD - substitute Ronan Finn volleying over from the edge of the box after a corner was half-cleared.

Overall, a satisfactory way to bounce back from the Dublin City defeat and a result wihch will have UCD in good spirits heading into the mid-season break; certainly, it was the Students' best performance of the season in terms of style of play. A trip to high-flying St Pat's is next after the break, with UCD hoping to gain further ground on Bohs and Dublin City immediately above them.

UCD - Quigley; Mahon (Matthews 37), Kenna, Shortall, McNally; McDonnell, Hurley (Finn 85), Dicker, Ryan (Cawley 70); McWalter, Sammon. Subs not used - Hussey, P Byrne

Att - 426

CollegeTillIDie
03/06/2006, 8:47 AM
Disappointing turn out on the one hand... best Bank Holiday weekend crowd of recent times on the other.

Poor Student
03/06/2006, 10:12 AM
Interesting that he decided to play 4-5-1. We do have a lot of tactical options with 6 quality midfielders in the squad. I wonder why he went with Sammon instead of Byrne. Can't complain if he got MOTM though. A draw with Derry is a good result though.

DmanDmythDledge
03/06/2006, 12:03 PM
Sammon I think has been our best player this season- I wasn't surprised by that. His first touch and ability to hold up the ball is superb. Overall a good performance- something to build on after the break.

DmanDmythDledge
03/06/2006, 1:29 PM
I think that was our best team that started, except I would change Podge with Paul Byrne.

Daz is much better down the left wing. He can dribble and cross the ball well. How coudl anyone ever think he was a left full:confused:

MariborKev
03/06/2006, 2:43 PM
[QUOTE=John83The calling out of the teams was somewhat prolonged, as UCD's PA decided to take the Derry fans to task for being rowdy while he was trying to make a charity appeal. Unfortunately, he doesn't speak the language of the Derry-hi, and the drumming and shouting through a loudhailer continued. [/QUOTE]

T'was comedy gold that

"Can I have some silence"

Slightly more irked "Can I please have some quiet"

Then lost the head completely with "C'mon guys would you give me a chance here" in a very emotional voice

Poor Student
03/06/2006, 2:44 PM
I like Sammon. He's come on a lot from last season. He caught my eye in pre season against Kilkenny particularly. Odd thing about him is that for such a tall guy he loses a lot of headers. That's a problem as more often than not Quigley has been punting it up the field. He's very quick on the turn and is far better with the ball played to his feet. I think Byrne is better in the air and a better target man though.

Daz is actually quite a good attacking left winger. Seems able to beat his man and I think he plays in a good cross. A lot of good options at the club these days.

Colie
03/06/2006, 2:58 PM
Why the PA was looking for silence is beyond me. Its a football match, what does he expect.

Good game for the telly I must say, plenty in int bar the goals.

Agin fair play to the Derry fans; in great voice, as ever.

Schumi
03/06/2006, 4:59 PM
Watched the re-run on Setanta earlier and we had a shout for a penalty in the second half that I didn't notice at the match. Hutton looked like he pushed Sammon (I think, could have been someone else) over in the box. It might have been a little soft but I've seen similar ones given in the past. We've clearly been ridden rock solid by Derry again. :D

The performance shows the difference that keeping the ball on the ground makes as against the hoofing we've been at in some of the games earlier in the season. Byrne should have started I think, as Sammon was left quite isolated a lot of the time with McWalter dropping back. He held the ball up really well but an option of giving it earlier to Byrne, compared with where McWalter was, would have given us a better chance of getting a goal.

T'was comedy gold that

"Can I have some silence"

Slightly more irked "Can I please have some quiet"

Then lost the head completely with "C'mon guys would you give me a chance here" in a very emotional voiceI hope you put some money in the collection buckets to make up for not being quiet. :D