PDA

View Full Version : Leinster Senior Cup?

paudie
02/06/2006, 1:12 PM
Is the Leinster Senior Cup played for any more?

10 years ago all the Leinster EL teams played in it, admittedly rarely with full teams, but it seems to disappeared off the radar in the last 5 years.

It was quite an old competition, going back to pre FAI days I think.

Anyone have any info?

Poor Student
02/06/2006, 1:13 PM
I think it was dumped due to the summer football change.

pineapple stu
02/06/2006, 1:22 PM
Gone, thank God. It was dropped for the short transition season (2002/03) and never came back. Complete waste of time. UCD won it three or four times, which should give an indication as to how little teams cared! Can't understand why the MSC still continues?

Dodge
02/06/2006, 2:23 PM
Teams used to care alot about it.

We're reigning champions

bigmac
02/06/2006, 4:31 PM
Gone, thank God. It was dropped for the short transition season (2002/03) and never came back. Complete waste of time. UCD won it three or four times, which should give an indication as to how little teams cared! Can't understand why the MSC still continues?

Cork City like the opportunity to ride the rest of Munster rock solid.

Jerry The Saint
02/06/2006, 4:57 PM

I will never get tired of this!:D

RTRS

Strabane_Harp
02/06/2006, 6:03 PM
there are endless headlines about this

'Cork given rough ride' will appear in all papers come europe time

paudie
09/06/2006, 3:35 PM
Can't understand why the MSC still continues?

The only reason I can think of is to raise a few bob for the MFA if City are in the final as you're guaranteed a few hundred at least at it.

A Cork Cobh final would probably get over 1,000 but the last few years Cobh haven't made the final.

I've no doubt that City's landlords (the MFA) "expect" City to enter it every year, though we entered it when we were in Bishopstown as well.

BohsFans
09/06/2006, 3:52 PM
add it to the list of competitions that have disappeared in the last 10 years!

The Presidents Cup
The Super Cup
The First Division Shield

Johnnie C
11/06/2006, 11:17 PM
Was/Is there a Connaught Senior Cup and an Ulster Senior Cup ?

Mr A
12/06/2006, 8:51 AM
Was/Is there a Connaught Senior Cup and an Ulster Senior Cup ?

Nope- there isn't even an intermediate league in Connacht so there'd be no one to play in it bar Sligo and Galway.

There was the Irish News Cup in the North West for a while, featuring teams from both sides of the border and the odd intermediate side, but once the IN lost interest it ended.

Patrick Dunne
12/06/2006, 12:33 PM
There was a Connacht Senior Cup. It was scrapped along with the Connacht Senior League, around the time of the introduction of the U21 League.

United won it 78 times, Sligo Rovers won it twice.

Mr A
12/06/2006, 2:06 PM
None of them are as good as the county Antrim Shield.

citybone
12/06/2006, 2:10 PM
coming from yee who decided not to turn up for a final one year and were never allowed back
limerick are back in it this year which is good its good comp to give youngsters a chance and bench players a game

Patrick Dunne
12/06/2006, 3:17 PM
And boost the trophy count !