PDA

View Full Version : Season so far

DmanDmythDledge
01/06/2006, 11:00 PM
Alrite lads the season is a third of the way through- what's everyone's thoughts on how we have done so far?

We've got 10 points from a possible 30- 3 wins, 1 draw and 6 losses.

The games we have won were games that we were expected to win, and the draw coming against a Cork side who have been poor on the road this season.

However I think it has been worrying in the manner we have played in the games we have lost. In the games against Derry and Pats we were simply outplayed by superior opposition, so there's no harm in that. We were below par against Dublin City- a game we should be getting 3 points from no bother. But what has been worrying is that we can not seem to finish teams off after outplaying them for much of the game. The matches against Shels and Drogs are prime examples of this. I do not feel we are taking the game to our opponents as much as we should be. I would have taken 10 points at the begining of the season(and we can expect 3 points from Longford so technically 13) but after seeing us play this season we should be aiming for more in our next set of games. We should be able to build on our good performances and translate more of our possession into goals.

Despite the negativity of the above I think we can move up the table. Top 6 should be the aim of the club. We have the players at our disposal to achieve this. I am confident that with the right approach this can be achieved.

pineapple stu
01/06/2006, 11:31 PM
Hard to argue with that really. We can play well when we want to, and I think Saturday afternoon will help. Had we beaten Dublin City, we'd be sixth now and things would look a lot nicer. I agree top six is a realistic target. We usually start slowly - hopefully we can start getting a few results against the top teams and start climbing up the table again.

lefty
02/06/2006, 11:20 AM
With the genesis report thing and the soon to be revamped league i feel personally that its been hard to really get into the swing of things this year or really care about where we finish. Were not going to do well enough to finish in a European or Setanta Cup spot that might have saved our ass, we ****ed up in the League Cup, so for me personally the Cup is the only thing im really looking forward to/care about. Sorry for the negativity but thats how i feel.

DmanDmythDledge
07/06/2006, 10:17 PM
This is what I think we should be realistically aiming for in the next round of games:

Away vs St Pats-L
Home vs Waterford-W
Away vs Cork-L
Away vs Bray-W
Home vs Drogs-D
Away vs Shels-L
Home vs Bohs-W
Away vs Sligo-D
Away vs Longford-W
Home vs Dublin C-W

That's 18/33 points when you include the Derry game. Add another 3 points for the re-arranged Longford game as well.

CollegeTillIDie
07/06/2006, 10:18 PM
This is what I think we should be realistically aiming for in the next round of games:

Away vs St Pats-L
Home vs Waterford-W
Away vs Cork-L
Away vs Bray-W
Home vs Drogs-D
Away vs Shels-L
Home vs Bohs-W
Away vs Sligo-D
Away vs Longford-W
Home vs Dublin C-W

That's 18/33 points when you include the Derry game. Add another 3 points for the re-arranged Longford game as well.

18/33 is definitely achievable but I think 20 might even be possible!

DmanDmythDledge
07/06/2006, 10:20 PM
Ye we could scrape a win in Sligo but I wouln't count on it as they are a good team and The Showgrounds is a difficult place to travel to.

Poor Student
08/06/2006, 3:11 PM
It'll never go as well as you expect, it just doesn't. It's been very disappointing to throw away leads against Bohs and Dublin City and to lose games in Pat's and Shels which we could have drawn but for a couple of weird goals. That's 8 points thrown away and many handed to near rivals. The draws with Cork and Derry are good results and the wins were against weak enough opposition. That said, you'd complain if we didn't beat Waterford and Bray. I agree that the potential is there to finish 6th, but these things just don't happen. I'd be happy with 8th minimum.