PDA

View Full Version : New Manager

Pages : [1] 2

Conor H
01/06/2006, 7:31 PM
Galway is the capital of the West of Ireland, a thriving modern University City, situated on the banks of the River Corrib. A uniquely cosmopolitan city with something for everyone, it attracts thousands of visitors each year. One of Europe’s fastest growing cities; it still manages to retain much of its old world charm.

Galway United Football Club is a thriving, vibrant and ambitious Club currently competing in the Eircom League First Division. The new Manager must have the skills, competencies and ambition to take the club into the FAI Premiership in 2007 and on to European Club competitions in the years ahead. The new Football/Team Manager must also have the strategic capacity to work as part of a team to support the achievement of the Club’s long term plans.

Closely supported by the Galway & District League which has hundreds of affiliated players; Galway United can be justifiably optimistic about its future development. Its training and playing facilities are among the best in the Country.

Restructured a number of years ago the Club has one of the broadest and best developed Club infrastructures in the League. A strong Board of Directors populated by entrepreneurs, developers, and business people is supported in its day to day operations by a full-time General Manager with office support. Weekly operations are guided by an active Executive Committee with Marketing, Facilities and Finance expertise.

The Club now wishes to recruit a full-time Director of Football/Team Manager to match its ambitions. This is an excellent opportunity for a qualified coach to manage a Football Club at the highest level in Ireland. The person will be responsible for team selection, tactics and training as well as supporting the long term ambitions of the Club and the development of the game in Galway.

Applications in writing or on e-mail with CV to Mr. Nick Leeson, General Manager, Galway United Football Club, Terryland Park, Galway or email nick@galwayunitedfc.ie by close of business Friday, June 9th, 2006.

www.galwayunitedfc.ie

JW.
02/06/2006, 10:31 AM
"The Club now wishes to recruit a full-time Director of Football/Team Manager to match its ambitions."
I find the wording a bit interesting here: while 'Director of Football' remains a wishy-washy term, it still differs quite a bit in terms of concept from that of a team manager.

Terry
02/06/2006, 10:46 AM
"The Club now wishes to recruit a full-time Director of Football/Team Manager to match its ambitions."
I find the wording a bit interesting here: while 'Director of Football' remains a wishy-washy term, it still differs quite a bit in terms of concept from that of a team manager.

I think they are saying that they arent looking for just a manager but someone who can handle the dealings of both positions.

JW.
02/06/2006, 10:54 AM
Suits Dolan anyway Terry!

Terry
02/06/2006, 10:58 AM
Has to be tempting to him. It virtually 2 seats for one man, perfect fit !!!

JW.
02/06/2006, 11:13 AM
Lol :)

Jaws!
02/06/2006, 12:25 PM
I don't think there's anything wishy-washy about the term 'director of football (DOF)'. In some clubs the manager is also the DOF, and in some clubs the manager/DOF are two different people.
Typically, a DOF (depending on the power he is given) can be as much if not more of a factor in a teams success than a 1st team manager. DOFs are not only in charge of negotations with players (who have been shortlisted by the manager) but also in charge of hiring coaches, etc. all the way down through the ranks. In a club with a youth structure, this allows the DOF to hire the coaches he thinks are best suited to developing young players and make sure that all coaches in the club have the same philospohy of soccer. That draws a direct line in player development all the way from the bottom ranks to the top echelons.
By combining the two posts, the club have made the position of manager quite powerful, because the new manager is going to have an awful lot to say about the way every GUFC team is run. It's quite an incentive for candidates to apply.

geezer
02/06/2006, 1:33 PM
yday i thought buckly was the way to go, but the only real answer is Dolan

Terry
02/06/2006, 1:53 PM
yday i thought buckly was the way to go, but the only real answer is Dolan

Agreed!

Do you think if Dolan didn't go for it that maybe GUFC would ask him personally if he would be interested? The worst that can happen is that he just says no!

I know it sounds like we are begging, but it happens everywhere, especially if you look at the likes of Martin O'Neill standard of management. Every club in Britian must ring him first if there is a vacancy.

The Stars
02/06/2006, 2:16 PM
Might apply for it myself lads, you never know!!!!!Need a job for the summer.

Gaillimh Al
02/06/2006, 4:55 PM
Wasnt Tony Mannion Director of Football for a while..need i say more.

Conor H
03/06/2006, 11:28 AM
I think myself Jim Noone had nothing really to do with last night.It was more the players knew they had alot to proove to everyone.
Onwards and upwards!!!:)

Tir Oilean
03/06/2006, 12:05 PM
Shame they couldn't do it for Lal I still think he was doin nothing wrong it was down to the players belief in themselves. Anyone know about half time.... he was seen around the clubhouse...did he go in for the team talk?

Terry
04/06/2006, 6:25 AM
he was seen around the clubhouse...did he go in for the team talk?
no. he went upstairs for his half time cuppa

Magicme
06/06/2006, 8:38 AM
I hate to burst your bubble but I cant see Dolan giving up the cushy job with Setanta and being able to work to his own schedule with Limerick to get back into management. I may be wrong but I just cant see him taking the job.

Gary Howlett (ex Mons assistant Manager and Bohs assistant Manager) is on the loose....mite be a good stop gap option for u and if things work well he mite be ur man.

Terry
06/06/2006, 8:47 AM
Gary Howlett .

I dont think he would be good enough, plus, has he got all of the uefa coaching badges? We are looking for someone full-time so they have to be fully qualified.

Magicme
06/06/2006, 8:51 AM
Not sure what status he is at. I just think it will be difficult for you to get the kinda manager you are looking for....there are not many of the calibre your talking about around!

Flano
06/06/2006, 9:49 AM
The Dream Management Team has got to be Pat Dolan & Johnnie Glynn working together - plenty of experience there between the two of them -what do ya think ?

gufct
06/06/2006, 10:17 AM
wouldnt be a very popular appointment among fans and players and as for Dolan i would be very wary of him after the past experiences of Pats & Cork. If Dolan is to get the job it has to on United's terms with a strict policing of his activities.

geezer
06/06/2006, 11:09 AM
Glynn is an iconic figure with the older supporters, younger fans wouldnt have anything against him, he is a galwayman, well qualified and has won championships with pats and cork, could be dolans man on the ground.

I think its time to make a statement of how ambitious the club is. Dolans appointment will do that.

gufct
06/06/2006, 11:55 AM
your having a laugh mate.

JW.
06/06/2006, 12:49 PM
Are we any the wiser at all? Lucky we've 20 days or so break to get the new man in.

gufct
06/06/2006, 1:00 PM
very surprised if its not Dolan not saying I agree with it.He seems to have all the people fooled down here about his love for the club.

Flano
06/06/2006, 1:12 PM
Over the years (but strangely not in the last 3/4 years) Big Pat has never made any secret of his wish to get involved in management of United....BUT ...I'ld agree with GUFCT that if he got the job it would have to be spelled out what his role was.

Whether himself and Nick L. would get on is a big question 'cos I would imagine Dolan has bigger ambitions than just managing the football side of United...and how many big chiefs can one club afford.

I still don't see what the issue is with Johnnie G - didn't he get involved with Utd again recently.

Conor H
06/06/2006, 1:32 PM
very surprised if its not Dolan not saying I agree with it.He seems to have all the people fooled down here about his love for the club.

Doesn't matter about his "love" for the club.
He's a top manager.

JW.
06/06/2006, 1:37 PM
I with Conor H here. Dolan is a brilliant manager and his record will tell you as much. How he guided the Pat's team to "win" the title when they lost it because of the points deduction remains a mystery as they'd a very ordinary team at the time. It was an amazing achievement.
Having said that, no man - even Pat - should be bigger than the club and he shouldn't have anything to do beyond management/director of football. Just having him there should ensure huge promotion for the club. If it's ever to happen, now's the time - and you can guarantee we'll soon be back where we believe we belong.

galwaygirl
06/06/2006, 1:38 PM
Are we any the wiser at all? Lucky we've 20 days or so break to get the new man in.
Don't think anyone is any the wiser, remember Applications will be accepted upto the closing date which is this Friday. Who knows who will apply between now and then or even who has applied already. I dont think there's any point in speculating until after the closing date...

Tir Oilean
06/06/2006, 2:11 PM
At which time we'll know who it is and there'll be nothing to speculate about GG! Buckley's the frontrunner of those who have applied......what has he been doin up till now? I'd still prefer Phat Dolan. Agree with Conor H its irrelevant whether he loves the club or not.

galwaygirl
06/06/2006, 2:54 PM
At which time we'll know who it is and there'll be nothing to speculate about GG!
How? I mite be wrong but Friday is only the closing date for applicants, then wont there have to be the interviews which will start next week. As it said on the official website "Chairman John Fallon, Finance Director Colm Feeney, General Manager Nick Leeson and Directors Peter Gilhooley and Nial O'Reilly are committed to completing the process within three weeks"

Terry
06/06/2006, 2:56 PM
I too am with Conor here, we have tried the "love" thing to death at this stage. I'd happily take someone who is going to do the job we want to be done, even if they were only doing it for self interest reasons. We have seen success within the club off the field for the last few seasons. Its now time to mirror that on the pitch. We all know we have the players capable of getting us out of this death trap of a division, we just need someone to get that bit more out of them.

Terry
06/06/2006, 2:58 PM
How? I mite be wrong but Friday is only the closing date for applicants, then wont there have to be the interviews which will start next week. As it said on the official website "Chairman John Fallon, Finance Director Colm Feeney, General Manager Nick Leeson and Directors Peter Gilhooley and Nial O'Reilly are committed to completing the process within three weeks"

they plan on having a manager in place the week before the harps match, which would mean we will be looking at an annoucement in around the 17th or 18th of this month

Joe C
06/06/2006, 3:15 PM
I know he is looking for an international team, but as he has failed to find one so far, GUFC might keep his hand in. He is a top manager and all we want is to be in the top division after the big shake up, if he moves on then, so be it.

Terry
06/06/2006, 3:18 PM
I know he is looking for an international team, but as he has failed to find one so far, GUFC might keep his hand in. He is a top manager and all we want is to be in the top division after the big shake up, if he moves on then, so be it.

cant see that happening Joe, He is favourite to take over in India:confused:and probably wants nothing more to do with the FAI.

Conor H
06/06/2006, 3:20 PM
AFAIK Terry he lost out on the India job.

Still i wouldn't say there's much if any chance of him coming to Terryland.

Patrick Dunne
06/06/2006, 5:15 PM
His salary demands would be way out of our league, or any other club in
the EL, for that matter.

Paddyfield
06/06/2006, 5:29 PM
Last year I came across the match programme for the 1993 (not too sure of the year) League Cup Final (St. Pat's Ath V. Limerick ). Dolan was playing for St Pat's at the time with Kerr as manager. Anyway, Dolan was interviewed for the programme. There were lots of questions regarding his time at Arsenal and Rep of Ire Under 21 caps etc etc.

One question was What Is Your Proudest Moment In Football?

His answer...."my proudest moment was the first time I put on a Galway United jersey"

Ironically, he was in the Shamrock Rovers squad for the 1991 FAI Cup final when GUFC won.

Conor H
11/06/2006, 9:25 PM
Gone very quiet.I'd say the club have a fairly strong idea who will be taking over..I'd say Dolan will take over.the club realise what's needed and he's the man to deliever.All will be revealed though,there may be some dark horse?

Terry
11/06/2006, 9:55 PM
Ssh! there has been interviews over the weekend and some more to come during the coming week. We should know by (and im guessing here) friday who is in charge.

JW.
12/06/2006, 2:15 PM
I can only assume Roy Keane will take the job now.

corbyeire
13/06/2006, 9:35 AM
:d :d :d :d :d

thescoringgoals
13/06/2006, 10:20 PM
that dolan,cousins and buckley are the 3 front runners and its been decided in next day or 2 but not announced till around friday,if someone knows before that then its prob best not to say it here and let the offical site get all the "hits".therell be plenty of time to discuss it here after its announced.is what i heard true,has someone else heard the same?

gufct
14/06/2006, 8:10 AM
racing lodge if you want to find out the new boss. Dolers is very unlikely to get the job the ego was too big.Funny i cant see him getting a managers job anywhere again unless he buys the club.

Tir Oilean
14/06/2006, 8:26 AM
racing lodge if you want to find out the new boss. Dolers is very unlikely to get the job the ego was too big.Funny i cant see him getting a managers job anywhere again unless he buys the club.

Let it go gufct we all know you dont like Dolan at this stage! Its not him but i reckon its got to be someone with a higher profile than Buckley or Cousins or else there was a poor response to the advert. Great to see the professionalism of the club with a press conference called etc. Lets hope the manager lives up to the clubs standards.

gufct
14/06/2006, 9:24 AM
Dolers as I get on with Pat but i can see beyond his bluster. If he had got the job i would have had serious worries over the future stability of the club after all the inital PR had blown over.

Check out the answers some Cork & Pats fans gave on the league forum to see how he is remembered by them not too pretty reading.

Thanks once again to Lal who had the balls to take on the job something a lot of his detractors around galway were scared of. Good luck to the new man and lets all hope everyone moves on from here and concentrates on getting us promoted this season.

Terry
14/06/2006, 9:30 AM
Id be happy with either Dolan or Buckley. Will be heading to the annoucement myself, if any one cannot attend I would suggest tuning into GBFM, or as GUFCT said, monitoring www.galwayunitedfc.ie for further info as I will only post here the link to the abve address when its available. Any body want a lift out?

corbyeire
14/06/2006, 10:03 AM
its good that this is all happening early in the break so the new man can get his teeth into the job before the restart

Magicme
14/06/2006, 10:48 AM
Is Drogheda's Tony Cousins in the running?? I think he would be a good one for you, he has learned alot under Doolo am sure. He may also convince his very talented younger brother Andrew to sign for you instead of us too.

JW.
14/06/2006, 11:02 AM
Who's his very talented brother Magicme?

Magicme
14/06/2006, 11:07 AM
Andrew Cousins (Andy).....well he was very good for us in pre-season and we were gutted he couldnt sign due to a technical difficulty!

geezer
14/06/2006, 11:23 AM
all in all a good choice, great player excellent technical and coaching ability, drogs fans will agree he was an important part of their set up under Doolin.
I would say he will give it everything and is light years ahead of anyone local in terms of coaching and knowledge.........excellent. he will eek out any shysters or mouths on the panel pretty quickly as well