PDA

View Full Version : Best World Cup Match

lofty9
01/06/2006, 8:48 AM
.............Not involving Ireland?

My favourite game was Italy v Brazil 1982 in Spain. One of my first memories of football and I wonder if I would have been such a fanatic if I hadn't have watched it.

superfrank
02/06/2006, 9:52 AM
My vote would be the Netherlands Argentina match in 1998.

red bellied
02/06/2006, 9:58 AM

My favourite game was Italy v Brazil 1982 in Spain. One of my first memories of football and I wonder if I would have been such a fanatic if I hadn't have watched it.

Same for me remember watching that game as a young fellow. They showed the highlights of it last Sunday on Network two, arguably the best team never to win the world cup, Brazil of 82.

Dodge
02/06/2006, 10:07 AM
Brazil v France in 1986

Giuly
03/06/2006, 10:39 AM
France - Germany: WC semi finals 1982_ Sevilla

just unforgetable

DmanDmythDledge
03/06/2006, 12:07 PM
England-Argentina 1998. That's all my short memory can remember!

liam88
03/06/2006, 3:31 PM
England vs Brazil 2002

Everyone was packed into the school hall from about 7am to watch it on the big screen; people sitting on top of lockers, canteen, everything-you couldn't move and then wehn Owen scored the whole place went absolutley mental; cracking match to :D

harry crumb
04/06/2006, 1:08 AM
South Korea vs Italy was an amazing game in the last world cup.

osarusan
06/06/2006, 2:19 AM
Ecuador versus Croatia in 2002. 1-0 to Ecuador. I was at the game in Yokohama, and even though I didnt care who won, I was sitting with the Ecuador fans, so I became an honorary Ecuador fan for the day. Great atmospere in the ground and after, with boths sets of fans mixing in a friendly way. I remember as we left the stadium, a big plastic beach ball was being bounced up and down over the heads of the crowd, and everybody gave a big cheer everytime it was punched up in the air again. Then, for reasons I cannot fathom, a Japanese policeman confiscated it.
Strange choice for the best game I know, but actually being there was great.

CollegeTillIDie
06/06/2006, 7:16 AM

Good call. Italy 1982 have never been given the credit they deserve for winning that World Cup. They had to beat Brazil ( who everyone says were the best team that year :mad: ), Argentina, Germany ( runner-up that year) and Poland ( 3rd that year). I mean they were the four other best nations in the world what more does a team have to do to get respect?

Brazilian keeper in 1982 Waldir Peres was 57 shades of crap. He was even worse than Felix from the 1970 team , which is saying something. That's the reason Brazil did not beat Italy and win the World Cup. Extremely weak link in the crucial position on the park. Italy had Dino Zoff one of the best in the World, case closed good night goodbye. Italy deservedly won that World Cup. [rant over]

Aldini98
07/06/2006, 11:46 AM
I'd have to go with Italy Brazil from 82 as well, just made me love football. Other fav was Argentina Romania in 94, stayed up with the oul fella and was well worth it - Hagi was deadly that day.
Argentina Holland in 98 for Bergkamps last minute winner and Barry Davis roaring down the mic, spine tingling stuff !

Metrostars
07/06/2006, 12:19 PM
Begrudgingly I also include England-Cameroon in the list. Great match.

TheJamaicanP.M.
07/06/2006, 1:47 PM
How about Brazil V Italy in 1970? The team of the century on top of their game. After Boninsegna equalised, Brazil ran riot. Gerson and Jairzinho both got great goals before Carlos Alberto capped it off with the best team goal ever scored at a World Cup.

In recent times, I'd have to pick England V Argentina in 1998. That game had everything. Lots of drama and a wonder goal from Michael Owen.

stojkovic
12/06/2006, 12:33 AM
How about Brazil V Italy in 1970? The team of the century on top of their game. After Boninsegna equalised, Brazil ran riot. Gerson and Jairzinho both got great goals before Carlos Alberto capped it off with the best team goal ever scored at a World Cup.
Great game but Jairzinho's went in off his knob from about three yards out. my list would be ;

holland 2-0 brasil 74
italy 4-3 germany 70
argentina 2-1 france 78
italy 1-0 argentina 78
italy 2-1 argentina 82
italy 3-2 brasil 82
france 1-1 brasil 86
argentina 2-2 england 98

but the best ever is germany 3-3 france 82

superfrank
15/06/2006, 8:33 AM
I'd have to say that the Italy Ghana match the other night will be a World Cup classic in years to come. It was a great game. The best in these finaks so far.

LeixlipRed
15/06/2006, 2:36 PM
being only 21 my memory only extends back to 1990. England Cameroon was a classic game, what I can remember of it. In 1994, Brazil Holland was a great game as was Bulgaria v Germany. In 1998, England v Argentina was a cracker (I'll admit wanting England to win after that cheat Simeone got Beckham sent off). Hooland v Argentina was the best game that year though. Two teams at the height of their powers playing end to end football. Berkgamp's goal gets better every time you see it! 2002 didnt have any classics although I oved watching Mexico and Japan play all their games. Two exciting teams. Best game I've ever seen at a major championships was Spain v Yugoslavia in Euro 2000. Greatest game ever in my opinion

stojkovic
15/06/2006, 8:59 PM
Best game I've ever seen at a major championships was Spain v Yugoslavia in Euro 2000. Greatest game ever in my opinionGreat game but if you're including the Euros its got to be France 3-2 Portugal in the semi final in 1984. Unbeatable.

LeixlipRed
16/06/2006, 9:30 AM
Great game but if you're including the Euros its got to be France 3-2 Portugal in the semi final in 1984. Unbeatable.

3 months before I was born but I'll trust you ;)

tipp man
16/06/2006, 10:26 AM
France v West Germany. World Cup semi 1982. Not only remembered for the assualt on Patrick Battiston but France scored twice in extra-time to lead 3-1and still couldn't hold on. I remember feeling really down after the game that the artistry of the French couldn't beat the organised Germans (plus the bent referee). That game and what happend during the 120 minutes should be on the leaving cert course.

LeixlipRed
16/06/2006, 11:11 AM
Now that's game I know! I love it when during the penalty shootout you see Herr Schumacher and the referee having a friendly chat and giggle together. The referee also placed the ball for all the penalties, suspicious or what??

stojkovic
17/06/2006, 3:59 PM
Now that's game I know! I love it when during the penalty shootout you see Herr Schumacher and the referee having a friendly chat and giggle together. The referee also placed the ball for all the penalties, suspicious or what??But that was two years and three months before you were born ;)

LeixlipRed
17/06/2006, 4:30 PM
yes your right it was! dunno where I was going with 3 months!! I wish i was 23 and that'd be the case but I'm not that grown up yet :D