13-Jun-06 FRA 1:1 SUI
13-Jun-06 KOR 1:0 TOG
18-Jun-06 FRA 2:1 KOR
19-Jun-06 TOG 0:1 SUI
23-Jun-06 TOG 0:1 FRA
23-Jun-06 SUI 0:0 KOR

Stuttgart88
01/06/2006, 11:16 AM
I think France are beginning to look the part. Saw bits of the Mexico & Denmark games. They have proper shape and genuine world class performers in certain positions, and good enough players in others. I think they could go all the way.

I expect Switzerland to do better than their Euro 2004 showing and these two will go through.

Real ale Madrid
01/06/2006, 2:29 PM
I really rate the Swiss - they are young enthusiastic side with everything going for them. I think they will shock france in the opening game if they attack them. France are very solid and should regroup and take second spot.Domenech is a boring git IMO so expect France to be in a few shoot-outs if they progress. Tough Draw on South Korea who would look to qualify in most other groups. Don't know much about Togo - but they have a few useful performers. Look inexperienced IMO.

Kerry Blue
01/06/2006, 7:33 PM
France should win this group with the Swiss just holding off the Koreans for second place, but it could be close. I don't expect Togo to make much of an impression.

superfrank
02/06/2006, 10:00 AM
I don't expect Togo to make much of an impression.
Maybe, but everybody expected France to beat senegal last time round and look what they went on to.

Stuttgart88
02/06/2006, 3:55 PM
I really rate the Swiss - they are young enthusiastic side with everything going for them.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/worldcup06/2006/06/01/my_world_cup_outsiders_switzer.html

So does Paul Doyle of The Guardian (ex-Irish Times). You may remember Doyle was a massively outspoken critic of Kerr all the way through the last campaign.

My World Cup Outsiders? Switzerland

"The Swiss are on a roll" is a line you're likely to get sick of hearing over the coming weeks. Unless, of course, you do what I did and stick a fiver on Kobi Kuhn's crew making it to the semi-finals. At 16/1,
Switzerland are great value.

1990 was the only one of the last five World Cups where the semi-finals featured four of the game's big guns (Germany, Argentina, Italy and England). In 1982, Poland made it to the last quartet. In 1986, Belgium crept in. At USA 94, Sweden and Bulgaria contested the third place play-off and in France 98, Croatia were the surprise package.

Four years ago in Asia, Turkey and South Korea nearly went all the way. With the exception of Poland and Bulgaria, none of those giant-killers had stand-out stars: rather, they were well-drilled collectives of tidy, tough and tricky players who gathered momentum as they progressed.

Switzerland fit that bill perfectly. Their deftness of touch and thought is central to their style of play, which is all about retaining possession, not in ponderous Italian fashion but as part of zippy, slick moves that probe quickly and directly. Their fluidity and flair made them top scorers (and unbeaten) in a tight qualifying group, and they showed they had steel to go with their style by surviving a literally riotous play-off with Turkey.

They may not have made much impression at Euro 2004 but the fact is Switzerland have been building up to something big for the last four years. The squad features some solid old stagers such as captain Johan Vogel and Hamburg enforcer Raphael Wicky but the bulk of it is made up of gifted youngsters who first hinted at a gilded destiny in 2002. That year Switzerland won the U-17 European championship with Philippe Senderos as captain, and came third in the U-21 tournament, where the excellent Alexander Frei was top scorer. Since graduating to the senior team, Frei has hit 23 goals in 43 matches (he's 150/1 to pick up the golden boot in Germany - well worth another fiver).

The draw has smiled on the Swiss. They should demolish Togo and are more lively than the predictable South Korea. Which only leaves France, a fading force who can't get the best out of Thierry Henry and have a midfield of jaded veterans who won't admit their past it. Count on the Swiss to prove
it to them - they almost did so in the qualifers, when the French were fortunate to escape with draws from both their meetings.

Indeed, in the run-up to their latest encounter, oddball French boss Raymond Domenech has taken the characteristically unusual step of admitting: "the Swiss game gives me nightmares - they know how to beat us."

In the second round, Switzerland will likely face Spain, Ukraine or Tunisia, all of whom are more beatable than insolent eggs. Brazil or Italy could await in the quarters - and that's when the young Swiss will seal their new stardom. And you'll collect a handsome profit on your fiver.

Kerry Blue
04/06/2006, 9:23 PM
Maybe, but everybody expected France to beat senegal last time round and look what they went on to.
There is a huge difference between the Senegal team of 2002 and the present Togo team. In 2002 before going to the World Cup Senegal got to the Final of the African Nations Cup only to loose on penalties to Camerron. Quite an achievement which meant they went to Korea/Japan with plenty of confidence. This year however Togo only managed to score 2 goals in the African Nations Cup and this was in a meaningless final group match against Angola which they lost 3-2, and thereby finished bottom of their group. The only surprise that would be greater than Togo getting out of their group would be Trinidad & Tobago doing so.

DmanDmythDledge
07/06/2006, 8:16 PM
Cisse has broken his leg. Out of the World Cup.

Giuly
07/06/2006, 11:14 PM
Even though as a Frenchman that hates cisse as a player I was not happy with him in the squad, I REALLY feel so sorry for him... Saw the injury live tonite, the manager said the players had tears running down their face after the match. That's very cruel.:(

Stuttgart88
08/06/2006, 7:09 AM
Saw it on eurosport too. Poor guy.

France looked good initially but ultimately lacked the guile to get through a pretty well organised Chinese team. They looked less & less impressive as the game went on. Zizou's penalty miss was comical, just like Beckham's in Lisbon. France's second goal was a freak, a 20 yard volleyed own goal that flew backwards off the defender's ankle as he tried to thump it up the pitch. Ribery looks quality though.

Giuly, will you be changing your mind about playing?

Giuly
08/06/2006, 10:18 AM
Saw it on eurosport too. Poor guy.

France looked good initially but ultimately lacked the guile to get through a pretty well organised Chinese team. They looked less & less impressive as the game went on. Zizou's penalty miss was comical, just like Beckham's in Lisbon. France's second goal was a freak, a 20 yard volleyed own goal that flew backwards off the defender's ankle as he tried to thump it up the pitch. Ribery looks quality though.

Giuly, will you be changing your mind about playing?

I'm afraid its too late for them after what they said about domenech through the medias;
I guess he will pick Govou or Pires

Stuttgart88
08/06/2006, 11:06 AM
I think France will really need to pull their socks up if they're to avoid a repeat of 2002. They've absolutely everything going for them but something's wrong. And what's up with Vieira? He and France are looking very ordinary. They were one of my 4 favourites 10 days ago!

Pires' inclusion would really help and I think he & Domenech should both grow up and get on with it.

Giuly
08/06/2006, 11:53 AM
I think France will really need to pull their socks up if they're to avoid a repeat of 2002. They've absolutely everything going for them but something's wrong. And what's up with Vieira? He and France are looking very ordinary. They were one of my 4 favourites 10 days ago!

Pires' inclusion would really help and I think he & Domenech should both grow up and get on with it.

Its official: Govou will replace Cisse:rolleyes:

As for vieira, he's been ****e because Domenech makes him play on the right wing, which is quite new for him; he claimed yesterday that he prefers to play in the center of the midfield

Metrostars
08/06/2006, 3:25 PM
I think France won make the same mistake twice. Too many veterns in the team to let that happen again. Plus it is not a difficult group. Togo are pushovers and Korea and Switzerland are about the same.

DmanDmythDledge
10/06/2006, 11:43 AM
Togo's coach is after resigning because of a pay dispute.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2006/teams/togo/5066770.stm

Giuly
12/06/2006, 5:09 PM
Domenech's just revealed the starting squad against the swiss (malouda is out for this match):
______
_______________[Barthez]_________________
_________________Henry__________________

DmanDmythDledge
12/06/2006, 9:29 PM
Domenech's just revealed the starting squad against the swiss (malouda is out for this match):
______
_______________[Barthez]_________________
_________________Henry__________________
France needed to change their system to have a chance of doing well in this WC. Zidane would have had to have done a lot of running if Domenech still used 4-4-2. Maybe he saw Figo for Portugal last night? Good to see Ribery in the side but is Malouda injured because I read on Aertel that he would be sticking with his experienced players. Also, Vieira is moved to CM instead of RM which was a ridiculous decision in the first place.

Giuly
13/06/2006, 12:31 AM
I agree with you about Vieira; We have no idea whats really going on with Malouda but "Lequipe" reported he was sick as he caught some virus and couldnt recover yet for this match. So he had to change his system because he had no player with Malouda's profile.
But that's, for me, the best system.
I just hope Ribery is ready.:D

gustavo
13/06/2006, 12:52 AM
He was very impressive in his brief cameo against China anyway.France have the players to win it thats for sure and it will take a good team to beat them

Closed Account 2
18/06/2006, 11:45 PM
I think France will struggle now. If the Swiss beat Togo tomorrow, and then draw with Korea (assuming France then beat Togo in the last match) it will all come down to goal difference... have we seen the last of Zidane ??? (he got a 2nd yellow today and will miss the Togo match)

dancinpants
19/06/2006, 2:02 AM
France have to beat Togo and beat them well to have any hope of progressing. I can see Togo snatching a point against the Swiss leaving the group on a knife edge. I feel that S Korea/Swiss game will end in a stalemate too.

S Korea and France (barely) to go through.