13-Jun-06 BRA:CRO
12-Jun-06 AUS:JPN
18-Jun-06 BRA:AUS
18-Jun-06 JPN:CRO
22-Jun-06 JPN:BRA
22-Jun-06 CRO:AUS

DmanDmythDledge
31/05/2006, 11:56 PM
This won't be easy as it seems for Brazil. Japan have looked good lately and Australia have a good squad and with Hiddink in charge I think they will reach the QF. Brazil will still qualify definitely, almost certain top but they won't have it easy in their matches, except maybe Croatia.

Metrostars
01/06/2006, 1:35 AM
I think Brazil will top the group easily. Austrailia and Japan fighting for second place but Japan's experience might help them nick a point off Brazil and go through.

Risteard
01/06/2006, 9:05 AM
Group F
Brazil, Croatia, Austrailia, Japan

13-Jun-06 BRA 2:1 CRO
12-Jun-06 AUS 1:0 JPN
18-Jun-06 BRA 1:1 AUS
18-Jun-06 JPN 2:1 CRO
22-Jun-06 JPN 0:3 BRA
22-Jun-06 CRO 1:0 AUS

Saw Brasil yesterday and wasn't impressed.
Adriano and Ronaldo are shockingly overweight.
Nonetheless, i just can't picture Ronaldinho crying after elimination . . . . in his whole career.

eirebhoy
01/06/2006, 10:38 AM
I can't wait for this group. Hopefully Japan and Brazil get through, 2 of the most exciting teams in the world. If Croatia/Australia get 2nd then I think it's an easy enough last 16 match for the winner of Italy's group. I don't rate either of them very highly.

Zico said Nakamura can "astonish the world". I think he's up there with Larsson as truely world class players at Celtic. He got man of the match against Greece and Brazil in the confederations and was one of the stars of that tournament. I love the guy and really hope he's at Celtic next season.

Stuttgart88
01/06/2006, 10:43 AM
I think Australia will be bottom.

But I think Croatia may do well. Friendly victories include a 4-1 away win in Austria and a 3-2 win over Argentina. Japan have always played lovely football, or since 1998 anyway.

Is Adriano overrated? His Inter goalscoring record isn't impressive as far as I know. Would Edmilson have been a starter for them?

eirebhoy
01/06/2006, 10:49 AM
Is Adriano overrated?
I don't think so. He plays for a team full of Argentinian's and they don't like each other. In fact, Veron gave him a real bashing in the papers last week saying he's not a patch on Ronaldo. In the calender year 2004 he scored at a rate of almost a goal a game for club and country. He scored 7 goals and was the star player of the Copa America and scored 20 goals in the 4 months before Christmas for Inter.

He'll guarantee you goals in a Brazil shirt though and I'll be suprised if he's not there or there abouts for the golden boot.

eirebhoy
01/06/2006, 12:28 PM
Another example of Japan's play. The goals against Germany:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzOTgFMyev8

No guessing who that was that beat 2 Germans in the middle of the field. ;)

Real ale Madrid
01/06/2006, 2:17 PM
The most interesting group of the lot this one in my opinion. Brazil will win it i think but its wide open for second spot. Again i am inclined to err on the side of the european team as the competition is in Europe. Croatia are a good solid side while Australia have too many weak points for me despite having one of the best managers. Japan have every chance and with them playing Brazil last gives them a slight advantage over the other two IMO. as we saw when Norway Beat Brazil in the final game of group 1 of France 1998 if Japan really go at them then Brazil will look to protect themselves esp if they have first place wrapped up by the last game.

Kerry Blue
01/06/2006, 7:35 PM
It has to be Brazil to win this group no problem. Croatia should get second place but Japan might sneak it. I think the Aussies could be the big flop of the tournament and finish bottom of the group.

Coltron
02/06/2006, 7:09 AM
I think Croatia have a strong chance to pick something up from their opening game against Brazil. Croatia are a tight well run side who are never going to be push overs. Parreira has said in the last few days that he does mind if Brazil are not 100% going into the this game as it will give them room to improve.

He has also had criticism leveled at him because of the lack of competion in friendlies. He did sight the past tournaments where they used this tactic and it paid off but I for one need more convincing.

That would mean that they have to beat the Ozzies which they should but that doesn't mean that it will happen just because they are the champions they still have to go out and work bloody hard to win.

They should win the group, of course, but it's no foregone conclusion. There is a chance that they will not win it and even a smaller chance that they go out in the group stages. Not likely, maybe, but stranger things have happened and they some holes in this team and if they get exposed through some freak event or just plain bad luck then it could well happen.

Even if Brazil were at their best it would still take a portion of luck to win all three matches. Consider that they won half of their matches in the qualifing.

This World Cup will be won by a side coming from the "pack" and so will this group.

Stuttgart88
02/06/2006, 1:09 PM
I hope Brazil come second. Then I'll see them in Kaiserslautern on 27th June.

DmanDmythDledge
07/06/2006, 10:23 PM
Brazil top, Japan 2nd.

Stuttgart88
12/06/2006, 1:31 PM
Japan 1-0 up after 30 mins, a cross went straight in after a blatant foul on Schwarzer who was taken right out of it, though it looked like he missed the flight of it anyway.

I've often criticised Schwarzer for not being as commanding as his physique suggests he should be but he was unlucky on this occasion.

Metrostars
12/06/2006, 2:36 PM
First major refereeing blunder of the WC right there.

DmanDmythDledge
12/06/2006, 2:41 PM
Tim Cahill has just equalised.

DmanDmythDledge
12/06/2006, 2:47 PM
Cahill has got a second. Australia deserve to win after the blunder from the ref.

eirebhoy
12/06/2006, 2:53 PM
I can't believe Japan got nothing from that match.:(

FarBeag
12/06/2006, 3:23 PM
Good win for the Aussies but they were very very lucky.Japan just could not convert their dominant procession in the second half. Cahill scored two good goals but should have being penalized for the penalty.I think a draw would have been fair.

Poor Student
12/06/2006, 6:35 PM
Zico said before the tournament that the lack of a decent striker would be their undoing. They just have nothing up front. That right back of theirs can't cross either. I don't know how many times Nakamura set him away in ridiculous acres of space and he put in a crap ball. I didn't see anything wrong with Japan's goal. Fair play to the Aussies for digging in but I find it shocking that the Japanese went down to three goals.

Closed Account 2
13/06/2006, 9:31 PM
Brasil were very average vs Croatia tonight. The Croats were good, but I've a feeling the Brazilians wont find life that easy against the Auzzies.

FarBeag
13/06/2006, 9:36 PM
Brazil were not great and i use more energy to get up out of bed in the morning than Ronaldo used all match.They will need to improve a lot if they are to go all the way.

eirebhoy
13/06/2006, 9:51 PM
Brasil were very average vs Croatia tonight. The Croats were good, but I've a feeling the Brazilians wont find life that easy against the Auzzies.
I don't know. Australia must be one of the most overrated teams at this world cup. :) They had a Bristol City player starting for them yesterday. :) Brazil were poor tonight but they'll no doubt get better and should certainly beat Australia.

Poor Student
14/06/2006, 11:07 AM
Barzil didn't look like they were trying. Ronaldinho barely broke a sweat. Parreira said they were going to start off at 40% rate in the tournament and kick it up a notch as they went on. Ronaldo looked very off the pace and very unfit. Croatia on the other hand gave their all.

Red&White Rover
14/06/2006, 3:51 PM
Ronaldo was playing?...how can he start ahead of Robinho if he plays like that...he just walked!

Marked Man
14/06/2006, 6:43 PM
Why does Roberto Carlos think he can take free kicks?

Red&White Rover
14/06/2006, 6:49 PM
Why does Roberto Carlos think he can take free kicks?

watch this Link (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6409800387589839940&q=roberto+carlos+vs.+France)

then you'll see why...

DmanDmythDledge
14/06/2006, 6:52 PM
Carlos was never that good at taking free kicks. A few good ones here and there was all he ever did.

Snoop Drog
16/06/2006, 7:01 AM
Australia must be one of the most overrated teams at this world cup. :) They had a Bristol City player starting for them yesterday. :) Brazil were poor tonight but they'll no doubt get better and should certainly beat Australia.

I don't think they are overrated- They are ranked about 40 in FIFA rankings and 28 out of the 32 finalists which I think is fair enough. If they get to the last 16, surely they will have been underrated.

Go Socceroos!

eirebhoy
16/06/2006, 7:55 AM
I don't think they are overrated- They are ranked about 40 in FIFA rankings and 28 out of the 32 finalists which I think is fair enough. If they get to the last 16, surely they will have been underrated.

Go Socceroos!
The rankings aren't the be all and end all. :) Australia seem to be very overrated by people on the net. Described as "dark horses", etc. If you see the post I replied to I think cfdh_edmundo is overrating them. Croatia are the better team. Japan are better too imo but didn't have a great game on Monday.

Stuttgart88
18/06/2006, 6:23 PM
Brazil are definitely beatable but two poor performances are still good enough to win against two good sides. They definitely rode their luck though. Ronaldo dreadful again, Robinho miles better. Dida as erratic as ever.

eirebhoy, enjoy Nakamura-san today?

Mod edit: Keep your conspiracy theories out of this.

pineapple stu
18/06/2006, 9:33 PM
Carlos was never that good at taking free kicks. A few good ones here and there was all he ever did.
I think after the Tournoi free, it was five years before he scored a free for Brazil again - when most of the Chinese wall fell over in the 2002 World Cup. No idea why he takes them so often either - don't think he ever crosses for someone else either. Minimal contribution really.

Closed Account 2
18/06/2006, 11:36 PM
The Auzzies more than matched them today. Brazil look like a spent force, if they dont improve soon I doubt they'll make the semis.

Snoop Drog
18/06/2006, 11:52 PM
The Auzzies more than matched them today. Brazil look like a spent force, if they dont improve soon I doubt they'll make the semis.

The difference was that Brazil took their chances and Australia didn't. Both goals came from defence mix-ups which is a worry for the Aussies. Impreseed at kewell when he came on but Viduka didn't look all that sharp.

Still, the Cro V Aus game should be a good one :ball:

stojkovic
18/06/2006, 11:55 PM
The Auzzies more than matched them today. Brazil look like a spent force, if they dont improve soon I doubt they'll make the semis.I said it before and i'll say it again. Brasil won't get past the second round.

Stuttgart88
19/06/2006, 7:13 AM
With regard to the moderator intervention above, may I respectfully point out that there was no conspiracy theory suggested whatsoever?

I merely pointed out, maybe too strongly, just how little I think of Marcus Merk as a referee. He made a total mess of Brazil vs Australia and, like he did at Lansdowne in October vs Switzerland, he made no attempt to let the game flow, penalised physical contact in the most pedantic manner (and usually incorrectly too) and so on. He ruins every game he takes charge of in my opinion.

I'm sorry superfrank, but I honestly can't comment on Brazil vs Australia without pointing out how bad a referee I think this man is.

jockser
19/06/2006, 8:26 AM
With regard to the moderator intervention above, may I respectfully point out that there was no conspiracy theory suggested whatsoever?

I merely pointed out, maybe too strongly, just how little I think of Marcus Merk as a referee. He made a total mess of Brazil vs Australia and, like he did at Lansdowne in October vs Switzerland, he made no attempt to let the game flow, penalised physical contact in the most pedantic manner (and usually incorrectly too) and so on. He ruins every game he takes charge of in my opinion.

I'm sorry superfrank, but I honestly can't comment on Brazil vs Australia without pointing out how bad a referee I think this man is.
the ref was woeful alright

superfrank
19/06/2006, 9:39 AM
That's fair. Just choose your words carefully.

razor
19/06/2006, 10:25 AM
I'm sorry superfrank, but I honestly can't comment on Brazil vs Australia without pointing out how bad a referee I think this man is.Agree, How Grella did not walk for that early "tackle" on Ronaldo defies belief.

Snoop Drog
19/06/2006, 11:56 AM
grella's tackle was mistimed and nothing more. A booking at worst.

Stuttgart- Without having read your comments, I can just imagine what they were. I believe I was thinking something similar myself. Merk appeared incredibly one-sided, esp in the first half.

geysir
19/06/2006, 11:57 AM
The difference was that Brazil took their chances and Australia didn't. Both goals came from defence mix-ups which is a worry for the Aussies. Impreseed at Kewell when he came on but Viduka didn't look all that sharp.
Possibly Viduka was exhausted with all the tracking back he had to do :) he put in some good tackles as well. Personally I thought Viduka was a force and Lucas Neill as well. Kewell was not as sharp as he can be and he took a while to slot in. I wondered why Hiddink had Chipperfied on the lw instead, maybe he can defend better.
Would anybody be complaining if we had performed as well as "a sum of the parts" team like Australia did yesterday? ok Schwartzer excepted.

Real ale Madrid
19/06/2006, 12:06 PM

Harry Kewell agrees with you - and he is big trouble for insulting the referee - prob will miss the Croatia game now.

geysir
19/06/2006, 12:15 PM
Doesn't that mod edit look ugly and in bold type as well.

eirebhoy
20/06/2006, 12:41 PM
eirebhoy, enjoy Nakamura-san today?

Yeah, he had a decent game. :) He wasn't as good as the Aussie match but he isn't 100% due to injuries and illness. Hopefully he's at the top of his game for the Brazil match as if they beat them you might see him in the flesh! ;)

Snoop Drog
22/06/2006, 9:49 PM
I think Australia will be bottom.

I don't know. Australia must be one of the most overrated teams at this world cup. :)

Happy Days! What a great result for the boys in green and gold! Sydney is going nuts this morning :D

eirebhoy
22/06/2006, 11:16 PM
They got lucky! ;) Nah, they have a never say die attitude and they deserve to be through. I can't see them getting anything off Italy though. They're certainly no better than Ghana, USA or Czechs.

ramondo
22/06/2006, 11:56 PM
I can't see them getting anything off Italy though.

Keep writing them off why don't ya.

The major problem the Aussies faced before the tournament was not being taken seriously by just about anyone. And still not, it would appear. Including FIFA btw, who a few years ago said the best team in Oceania would go through automatically, only to change their minds and give it to an African team instead.

To get this far the Aussies have had to win the group in Oceania, win a two leg play off against Uruguay, beat Japan and draw with Croatia.

Just lucky, I guess.;)

I'm definitely looking forward to the Italy game - it's just a pity all the games are played at 5 in the morning. I passed a bar on the way to work this morning and there were some happy but very tired looking people in there.

Next Monday morning it's a choice between going to work, or getting to a bar at stupid o'clock to watch a game....

Bring it on.

Snoop Drog
23/06/2006, 3:37 AM
Next Monday morning it's a choice between going to work, or getting to a bar at stupid o'clock to watch a game....

1am TUESDAY night in Sydney mate :p

Stuttgart88
23/06/2006, 7:19 AM
I can't get EVERYTHING right Snoop :)

I'm going to Italy vs Australia on Tuesday. Can't wait.

Stuttgart88
23/06/2006, 7:28 AM
I thought Lineker, Hansen & O'Neill were patronising in the extreme last night.

It's exactly the same when we do well. "Plucky", "Great spirit" blah blah blah.

I thought Australia played really well & actually got less than they deserved from the game, my only criticism being that they defended too deep since Kewell's equaliser, but that's natural.

If England gets a result it's because of their quality. If Australia (& Ireland) gets a result it's spirit.