12-Jun-06 ITA:GHA
12-Jun-06 USA:CZE
17-Jun-06 ITA:USA
17-Jun-06 CZE:GHA
22-Jun-06 CZE:ITA
22-Jun-06 GHA:USA

Metrostars
01/06/2006, 1:45 AM
Alright so I'm biased because the US is my second favourite team after the boys in green but I see them advancing along with Italy. The US will win the first game over the Czechs, who are an aging team, slow defenders, over-reliant on Nedved and Rosicky to provide service to the front two. Arena is a master tactician as he proved in the last world cup, he will stick Beasley on the right who is good defensively to track Nedved and run him up and down the wing all day. 3 players to watch for the US: Mastroeni is a very good defensive midfielder and will knock everything that will come his way. Oguchi Onyewu will handle Koller easily. The new kid, Eddie Johnson, is lightening fast and will cause a lot of problems for the slow Czech defense.

Italy will knock off Ghana in the first game, and will draw 0-0 against the US and beat the Czechs in the last game. The question is how the US fares against Ghana in the final game but I'm guessing a draw or a US win. Dont be surprised to see the US not conceed a goal in the group stages.

Stuttgart88
01/06/2006, 8:23 AM
I think the USA is as likely to get 7 points as 0 points. Very interesting group. There may well be no unbeaten team. However, it's hard to say just how good or otherwise either the USA or Ghana is as there are few competitive benchmarks against teams we know enough about. Yes, the USA did excellently in Japan, but I still feel that if Portugal hadn't actually beaten themselves in the first game maybe it'd have been very different for the USA.

I'm going to the last 16 game in Kaiserslautern which is the winner of this group vs the runner up in Brazil's. Any combination of the 8 teams in question is potentially interesting. Really looking forward to it.

My colleague, from Washington DC, is going to Italy vs USA.

Stuttgart88
01/06/2006, 8:34 AM
I'm looking for the USA to do well in order to back up one of my most firmly held football principles: you don't need great players to be a great team.

I'd add that I'd like to see an English-speaking country not depending on exports to England to achieve success, and though the respective scales are hardly comparable, if a sound domestic league can be a viable alternative, or complement, to the glamourous foreign leagues to provide players for a good international team, then there could be a message for us there.

I'd also like to see Bobby Convey do well. If he can do it at this level then so too can Kevin Doyle.

shakermaker1982
01/06/2006, 8:43 AM
Ghana were poor at the African Nations but were missing several key players. They are a very big and imposing side and I think they will ruffle a few 'big names', as a result I can see them getting a draw against Italy in the first match (we all know about Italy's renowned slow starts at major competitions).

I had written off the USA until I read Metrostars post so I will keep a close eye on their warm up games to see how they shape up. I go along with his assessment on the Czech Rep. This ageing team will struggle to qualify for the 2nd round.

Risteard
01/06/2006, 9:08 AM
Group E
Italy, Ghana, USA, Czech Republic

12-Jun-06 ITA 1:0 GHA
12-Jun-06 USA 2:0 CZE :eek:
17-Jun-06 ITA 1:1 USA :eek:
17-Jun-06 CZE 3:0 GHA
22-Jun-06 CZE 0:1 ITA
22-Jun-06 GHA 1:1 USA

Stuttgart88
01/06/2006, 9:27 AM
This ageing team will struggle to qualify for the 2nd round.They were far and away the best team in Euro 2004. Are they that much worse 2 years later? They were by no means as impressive in qualifying this time mind you. Beating Norway in a play off was decent, but not an indication of any real threat. And can they depend on Baros for goals this time around?

shakermaker1982
01/06/2006, 10:16 AM
Koller is 33, Nedved 34 I think and so is Poborsky. 3 key players all hitting their mid 30s. Football is a funny thing and in 2 years a lot can happen if you have your team has been hit by injury like star man Nedved. Baros has been unfortunate to miss a lot of games for Villa this season with various ailments so a lot depends whether he is 100% match sharp. This is why I'm so confident we have a chance of upsetting the Czechs/Germans in our next campaign group.

Don't get me wrong though, if these boys get off to a good start and click like they did 2 years ago then they could easily go all the way.

eirebhoy
01/06/2006, 10:30 AM
Koller is 33, Nedved 34 I think and so is Poborsky. 3 key players all hitting their mid 30s.
Galasek is also a key player and 33.

Real ale Madrid
01/06/2006, 11:28 AM
I would love to see the Americans do well but every time i see USA v Czech Republic on paper there is only one winner for me. The opening games are crucial in this group if Italy and the Czechs get off to a good start than there will be no stopping them however if the Ghanians and the US can snatch a draw each then its all wide open. If i was to make a prediction i think Italy and the Czechs will take the honours with US getting no points at all. Another point to remember to people writing off the Czechs is that this is thier last chance as a team to make an impression in a world cup so expect them to come out with all guns blazing early on.

Stuttgart88
01/06/2006, 12:12 PM
Smicer's absence has just been confirmed I think.

Metrostars
01/06/2006, 12:43 PM

I had written off the USA until I read Metrostars post so I will keep a close eye on their warm up games to see how they shape up. I go along with his assessment on the Czech Rep. This ageing team will struggle to qualify for the 2nd round.

The US have finished their pre WC friendlies - lost 0-1 to Morocco, beat Venezuela 2-0, beat Latvia 1-0. They looked rusty against Morocco, but handled the other two easily. They do have a "closed-door" friendly against the Ivory Coast I think next week though.

I'd also like to see Bobby Convey do well. If he can do it at this level then so too can Kevin Doyle.

Little Bobby played well in the 3 friendlies (2 sub appearances, 1 start). I think he might start against the Czechs, a lot depends on whether Arena chooses to put Beasley on the right to watch Nedved and also if he trusts John O'Brien to go an hour or so due to the fact he has barely played in the last year due to injury.

dancinpants
01/06/2006, 7:25 PM
Group E
Italy, Ghana, USA, Czech Republic

12-Jun-06 ITA 1:0 GHA
12-Jun-06 USA 1:1 CZE
17-Jun-06 ITA 2:1 USA
17-Jun-06 CZE 2:0 GHA
22-Jun-06 CZE 1:1 ITA
22-Jun-06 GHA 1:1 USA

ITA 7pts
CZE 5pts
USA 2pts
GHA 1pts

If Italy and the Czechs click, this group will be straight forward.

Contrary to what Metrostars wrote, the report on the friendly against Latvia that I read indicated that the US struggled in that game.

Bruce Arena after the game (from ussoccer.com)

“I’m happy with the win,” said U.S. Manager Bruce Arena. “I think this week our three opponents played us quite well. I think we were pushed to our limits, physically, with the awkward calendar. The games made it real tough on our team. And, today, to have two players almost play 90 minutes and having them play it on Friday is pretty remarkable.”

Kerry Blue
01/06/2006, 7:30 PM
As ever in the World Cup I expect Italy to get off to a slow start. I think the Czechs may do a lot better than most believe and I think they will win the group. The Americans could cause a few problems but I think they won't make it out. Czechs to win it, Italy second.

Metrostars
01/06/2006, 9:02 PM
Well DP, I was at that game and Latvia basically bunkered all game. The only spot where the US struggled was not scoring more. Latvia had one decent chance and that was at the end of the game.

dancinpants
01/06/2006, 9:27 PM
Well DP, I was at that game and Latvia basically bunkered all game. The only spot where the US struggled was not scoring more. Latvia had one decent chance and that was at the end of the game.

Whats your point?

Struggle to score = struggle to win

Makes sense to me.

Stuttgart88
02/06/2006, 12:59 PM
To me the Bruce Arena quote was only saying that 3 games in a short space of time was physically tough on his players. I've seen loads of games where a team has been on top but not scored as many as the play justified. I'd hardly say that was "struggling" :)

shakermaker1982
04/06/2006, 5:43 PM
Ghana won today 3-1 against S korea. Theey are my dark horses along with the Ukraine. If they hold Italy would this go down as a huge shock?

Noelys Guitar
06/06/2006, 12:36 PM
I'm going to be in Philadelphia for the World cup watching all the matches. Watched an ABC interview with Landon Donovan on Sunday last. He reckons he dosen't have to play in leagues like the Prem to be at his best. I know he had a nightmare in the Bundesliga. Arena is a clever coach and definetely gets the best out of his team. But I fancy the Czechs to do really well in this WC. Baros will still score plenty of goals. And Nedved despite his age and being a little slower now is still in the top 5 players in the world.

eirebhoy
07/06/2006, 9:36 AM
And Nedved despite his age and being a little slower now is still in the top 5 players in the world.
I can't say I agree with that. There's quite a few players I'd have ahead of him now. Judging on his performances this season he won't be first choice with Juve next season. He's far from the same player he was a 2 or 3 years ago.

DmanDmythDledge
12/06/2006, 1:40 AM
Italy will have an easy enough time in this group. Probably will get 9 points. USA will get second place- they are under-rated by most people. Ghana will get third, securing draws against USA and the Czechs, who will finish bottom, losing to Italy and USA.

Marked Man
12/06/2006, 2:41 AM
Italy will have an easy enough time in this group. Probably will get 9 points. .

Has this ever happened? Italy are always slow off the mark in the group stages (I believe the official commentatorspeak is that "Italy are notoriously slow starters"). No chance whatsoever of 9 points.

strangeirish
12/06/2006, 6:22 PM
Terrible effort from the US today. Looked like they just got out of bed. No ball control whatsoever. Can't take anything away from the Czechs though. Looked good all over,especially midfield. All nice goals too.

Metrostars
12/06/2006, 6:32 PM
The Czechs beat the US at their own game, i.e. counter-attacking football in the first half. The US is no good when they have most of the ball, build-up was too slow and predictable.

superfrank
12/06/2006, 6:38 PM
Italy will have an easy enough time in this group. Probably will get 9 points. USA will get second place- they are under-rated by most people. Ghana will get third, securing draws against USA and the Czechs, who will finish bottom, losing to Italy and USA.
Where did you get that idea from??

The Czechs destroyed the US today and they look really good attacking. Rosicky will be a real star for them, imo. If Italy don't focus and get thei act together the Czechs will destroy them too.

It'll be interesting to see how Italy get on against Ghana tonight. I'd say 1-1.

eirebhoy
12/06/2006, 6:48 PM
Italy might lose a game but nobody will destroy them. :)

DmanDmythDledge
12/06/2006, 9:14 PM
Where did you get that idea from??

I thought that the Czechs had an aging team and would struggle to produce performances at the level they did before- I was wrong. Also, I expected USA to put up a better fight.

eirebhoy
13/06/2006, 10:13 AM
Excellent performance by Italy and Pirlo in particular. Pirlo has been getting bit of stick for his form with Milan since Christmas but he was top class last night. He was on the ball more than anyone. He's also not renowned for his tackling yet put in more tackles than anyone last night.

Zambrotta, Gattuso, Camoranesi, Del Piero and Inzaghi didn't start last night so they certainly have enough back up to go all the way this year. 19 games unbeaten and it'll probably take penalties to knock them out.

If Brazil win their group it will be crucial to win Group E and avoid them. It could come down to goal difference if Czechs and Italy draw.

btw - Nesta/Cannavaro: Best central defensive partnership of all time? Almost 200 caps between them and have been superb in probably ever one of those caps. :)

Stuttgart88
13/06/2006, 10:31 AM
I thought it was a nailed-on penalty last night. Even if no contact was made the attacker was prevented from getting to the ball by a missed tackle. I'd loved to have been in the studio to take on Martin O'Neill. Also, a better ball striker than Essien would have enjoyed last night against Italy. But, despite some reviews I read this morning, I thought Italy were pretty good. When Gattuso returns they'll be harder to play against. Pirlo was great.

I'm going to the winner of this group vs the r'up in Brazil's group in Kaiserslautern on 27th. Mrs Stuttgart (of all people) picked up a pair of tickets. 2 days away from the kids & a World Cup match. Way hey!!

Motson drove me mad last night, as always. After Kuffour's botched back pass he asked "was that an example of Ghanain gullibility Mark?". No, you ****ing knob, it was a sh1t backpass!!

eirebhoy
13/06/2006, 11:01 AM
Houghton was just as bad with his bias against Italy. Totti is a bit of a **** but Hougthon was letting his dislike for him overshadow everything. I thought as soon as he went off the strikers were getting very few chances. His through balls are second to none. Considering it was his first competitive start in 3 months he can only get better.

Poor Student
13/06/2006, 12:04 PM
btw - Nesta/Cannavaro: Best central defensive partnership of all time? Almost 200 caps between them and have been superb in probably ever one of those caps. :)

I thought they were so solid at the back. Fabio Grosso was immense at left back. The Ghanain right winger just couldn't get past him or get a decent ball in by him. Italy were also so strong on the counter (as usual). Luca Toni has a great burst of pace and ball control for a big man.

Noelys Guitar
13/06/2006, 12:38 PM
My bet to win the WC the Czechs rampaged against the US. Boylesports look out. First games can be deceiving so I will hold off on getting carried away. I am here in the US for the next few weeks watching the games and abc went to a commercial break when the Czech Republic anthem was played! Lalas in the studio stated before the game that Keller is the best keeper in the world! The "aging" Czech team nonsense was brought up. Nedved although overshadowed by Rosinski had an excellent game. Italy looked good. always composed and looked to me to be playing in 2nd gear. Essien was excellent but Ghana like the Ivory coast look suspect at the back.

FarBeag
13/06/2006, 9:39 PM
I think that the Czech Republic, Italy, Holland and Portugal have being the best teams so far.

eirebhoy
14/06/2006, 11:58 AM
Baros and Koller are definitely unavailable for the Ghana game on Saturday. Ghana looked like a pretty decent team against Italy so it'll be a tough game for the Czechs. 1 goal should be all that seperates them.

Zambrotta played against a local youth side in training yesterday and is fit to face the US on Saturday. Gatusso got back to training today well ahead of schedule and while he might not make the US game, he'll definitely be fit the face the Czechs.

superfrank
15/06/2006, 9:05 AM
Gatusso got back to training today well ahead of schedule and while he might not make the US game, he'll definitely be fit the face the Czechs.
If the Czech beat Ghana and Italy neat the US then this will be one of the best games of the tournament. Both teams going out to get the second round place against the probable runner-up to Brazil.

eirebhoy
15/06/2006, 11:55 AM
I don't think USA are doing anything more than riling Italy on more with their comments.

Arena: "Italy have three points and would gladly go home Saturday with four in the bank. They're not going to be opening themselves up too much Saturday."

Donovan: "I believe we can beat Italy. Not tie them or lose 1-0. Beat them. I really do."

Johnson: "It's do or die. We're going to do whatever we can, whatever it takes, whatever we have to when the referee is not looking. It's the biggest sporting event in the world. I don't want to go home early."

btw - even the best in the world have foreigners playing for them:
http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=reu-worldcamoranesi&prov=reuters&type=lgns

Metrostars
16/06/2006, 1:18 AM
I don't think USA are doing anything more than riling Italy on more with their comments.

Arena: "Italy have three points and would gladly go home Saturday with four in the bank. They're not going to be opening themselves up too much Saturday."

Donovan: "I believe we can beat Italy. Not tie them or lose 1-0. Beat them. I really do."

Johnson: "It's do or die. We're going to do whatever we can, whatever it takes, whatever we have to when the referee is not looking. It's the biggest sporting event in the world. I don't want to go home early."

btw - even the best in the world have foreigners playing for them:
http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=reu-worldcamoranesi&prov=reuters&type=lgns

Likewise, I'm sure some of the Italian players' comments will fire up the US players:

Of three Italian players asked what they knew about the American team, only midfielder Andrea Pirlo was able to name a single member of the US squad.

'There is (Claudio) Reyna, who plays in Europe and then there is the other lad from PSV Eindhoven,' said Pirlo, referring to midfielder DaMarcus Beasley.

'I don't known much about the players who don't play in Europe but we will watch some videos,' added the Italy midfielder who scored the opening goal in Monday's 2-0 win over Ghana.

Striker Vincenzo Iaquinta, scorer of Italy's second against the Africans, knows even less about Bruce Arena's American side.

'I know very little about them, I know they have some players in Europe. "

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=371230&cc=5739

tricky_colour
17/06/2006, 5:44 PM
Ghana looked pretty impressive today, I also thought they were doing well
against Italy untill they scored.
The USA must be worried, they look 5 goals worse than Ghana!!
Mind you, its funny how a teams form can fluctuate, so maybe they will
make a similar transformation?
(It would need to be quite a transformation though).

DmanDmythDledge
17/06/2006, 5:50 PM
Ghana were always attacking, even at the end when they were leading comfortably. It was very refreshing to see such high quality football from a so-called lesser footballing nation. Their fitness levels are superb. If they get through to the next round, they will have a good chance of beating an over-confident Brazil side.

shakermaker1982
17/06/2006, 6:01 PM
well done Ghana. Awesome today and I'm glad my predictions of them doing well in this group didn't jinx em!!!

FarBeag
17/06/2006, 6:18 PM
Seriously, on this evening’s performance by the Czechs I think we can take them. They looked good against the US but Ghana could have embarrassed them

LeixlipRed
17/06/2006, 6:25 PM
we can definitely take the Czechs, especially when you consider the fact that 5 or 6 of their players are sonsidering retirement. I think defeat by Italy would force several retirements which is only a good thing in my mind. Nedved and Koller and crew have shown they're still dangerous so hopefully they'll pack off to the old folks home leaving the might O' Shea to mark Rosicky

DmanDmythDledge
17/06/2006, 9:01 PM
De Rossi was an absolute disgrace. Should get banned for a few games. He had the cheek to argue with the red card also.

Metrostars
18/06/2006, 3:51 AM
Ref was awful, especially on the Pope yellows. Should never have been sent off. The first yellow was a total dive by Gilardino. Plus the Italians were disgraceful with all their diving e.g. the free kick on their goal was the result of a dive, also Italy should have had a penalty late on when Conrad was tugging an Italian shirt in the area, plus a number of Italian offside calls were incorrect. The US got a lucky goal but they stuck it out with the 9 men in the second half.
Can't believe Arena didnt bring on Eddie Johnson in the last 20 minutes for McBride who was totally knackered by then because the Italian defense were also tired. Johnson would have stretched them with his pace.

As for Thursday, I think Italy will take the Czechs who wont have Koller, Lokvenc (suspended), Ujfalusi(also suspended), and probably Baros. The Ghana-USA match, who knows, Ghana should be favourites but I think their defense is suspect.

dancinpants
18/06/2006, 5:50 AM
Ref was awful, especially on the Pope yellows. Should never have been sent off.

Pope was on a yellow, and continued to hold, push and pull!!!. I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did. As for Maestoenis(?sp) tackle, the Italian is lucky he didn't end up with a broken ankle.

Can't believe Arena didnt bring on Eddie Johnson in the last 20 minutes for McBride who was totally knackered by then because the Italian defense were also tired. Johnson would have stretched them with his pace.

Beasley had little impact when he came on. Johnson would probably have had little more. With 9 men the team were getting stretched and pulled all over the place.

As for Thursday, I think Italy will take the Czechs who wont have Koller, Lokvenc (suspended), Ujfalusi(also suspended), and probably Baros. The Ghana-USA match, who knows, Ghana should be favourites but I think their defense is suspect.

Czechs/Italy - I can see a draw. Italy might have to beware of the backlash.

Ghana/US - another draw. You think the Ghanian defence is suspect? I think they will be thinking the same about the States.

The interesting point is though, and as you mentioned about the offside calls against Italy, maybe the US should be glad that the officiating was crap!!

Stuttgart88
18/06/2006, 3:28 PM
I wasn't fully concentrating on this one & can't recall the first Pope yellow, but although a final warning may have been an option, I don't think the ref did much wrong showing a red. Pope should have just stayed on his feet & jockeyed rather than committing to a tackle he was never likely to make successfully. The italian red was very well spotted and many refs may have missed it. The first USA red was warranted too - an atrocious effort at a tackle that may easily have resulted in a broken ankle though I'm sure it was careless rather than malicious.

And the USA goal (''equaliser'' that Peter Drury somehow called it deespite the score already being 1-1!) was also correctly ruled out I think. OK, so the new offside rules are fuzzy enough but McBride was right in front of Buffon.

So of the 4 key decisions, I think the ref got them all right. Certainly 3.5 anyway, cos I think Pope could have had a stern warning.

I think the USA were naive in the extreme in conceding the man advantage they had.

Italy didn't impress me bar Pirlo and one or two others. No threat upfront whatsoever. OK, so the USA goal was a freak OG rather than a chance created but I don't think Italy are ruthless enough in front of goal to go far in WC06.

pete
18/06/2006, 3:36 PM
Ghana were superb & could have beaten Czechs 5 or 6 nil if had a decent forward. Will be interesting to see if they have the ability & fitness to play all games at that tempo.

Very disappointed with Italy last night, started poorly & didn't get much better. USA were very physical & eventhough 1st red was unjust they were lucky not to have other ones. I don't think the Italians knew how to play the game.

Would like to see Inzaghi play alongside Toni as he would stretch the defense a lot more & create space.

Metrostars
22/06/2006, 1:01 PM
My guess is that Italy and US will win today to qualify for the last 16.