16-Jun-06 NED:CIV
21-Jun-06 NED:ARG
21-Jun-06 CIV:SCG

CollegeTillIDie
31/05/2006, 9:37 PM
The Serbs will qualify and either Argentina or Holland will lose out

DmanDmythDledge
31/05/2006, 10:51 PM
The group of death without doubt. All the teams have a chance.

Argentina would have to be the favourites to top the group and also one of the favourites to win the World Cup with star names like Riquelme and Messi. Pekerman has worked with many of the players from managing the youth sides so may favour them in selection.

Holland have a young, slightly inexperienced side but have a good team spirit with many of the veteran players who usually cause trouble left out. Van Basten seems to have the team organised well, but the lack of experience at the big stage could cost them.

Serbia & Montenegro qualified top of their group so they have to be taken seriously. They have a mean defence and won't be too short on goals with Vigic up front.

Ivory Coast are the massive underdogs in this group but they still have a chance of qualification. Lost in the African Nations Cup Final on penalties and had an impressive qualifying campaign. Many top stars in their team- Eboue, Toure, Zokora, Drogba- but a lack of experience and lack of talent throughout the whole team could cost them qualification.

I think that Argentina will top the group. After that it could be any one of the three teams left to qualify. I've a sneaky feeling that Ivory Coast could nick it but I think the sensible bet would be to go for Serbia & Montenegro. Holland I thought would have a poor tournament but after looking back at their good qualifying campaign I'm not too sure. Still think they could finish bottom though.

Flea
01/06/2006, 12:07 AM
Holland are very capable and unpredictable. Very inexperienced, but all the old muppets that used to hold them back through their big heads i.e. Davids, are gone. Van Nistelrooy will lead the young team from the front. Defence is a big issue for them but Ive faith in Van Basten, very astute. However I have a suspicion that Riquelme and/or Messi could flop for Argentina.

Metrostars
01/06/2006, 1:34 AM
It's important to look at the sequence of games not just in this group but in all groups. I'm sure that by the final group games (NED:ARG & CIV:SCG), there will be a lot to play for and these should be great games. I could even think that all 4 teams could still be in contention by the final games. With that said, I fancy Holland and Ivory Coast to beat their respective opponants on the final day to advance.

shakermaker1982
01/06/2006, 8:46 AM
Complete nightmare of a group.

Are the Dutch too young and inexperienced?

Have the Argies learnt their lesson from WC2002? I'm praying for them to get out of the group stage and go marching on to the final. Messi if fully fit deserves that kind of stage IMO.

Ivory Coast fluffed a lot of chances in their most recent game against Chile, their defence is very strong but they'll need to take their chances when lining up against Ayala and co.

Answers on a postcard please!!!

Risteard
01/06/2006, 9:01 AM
Group C
Argentina, Côte d'Ivoire, Serbia and Montenegro, Netherlands

10-Jun-06 ARG 1:0 CIV
11-Jun-06 SCG 1:0 NED
16-Jun-06 ARG 2:0 SCG
16-Jun-06 NED 1:1CIV
21-Jun-06 NED 2:0 ARG
21-Jun-06 CIV 2:1 SCG

Real ale Madrid
01/06/2006, 11:18 AM
Complete nightmare of a group.

Are the Dutch too young and inexperienced?

Have the Argies learnt their lesson from WC2002? I'm praying for them to get out of the group stage and go marching on to the final. Messi if fully fit deserves that kind of stage IMO.

Ivory Coast fluffed a lot of chances in their most recent game against Chile, their defence is very strong but they'll need to take their chances when lining up against Ayala and co.

Answers on a postcard please!!!

Totally agree that this will be a very hard group to call. Shades of Irelands group in 94 where everyone finished with 4 points! Dont be surprised if that happens here. If i HAD to make a stab at who will go through - I think Argentina and Holland will do enough. The Dutch will have huge support and Argentina i think will win thier opening game i think against the inexperienced Africans.

Kerry Blue
01/06/2006, 7:38 PM
This is definitely the group of death. Very tough to call as Serbia are no pushovers and the Ivory Coast are by far the best African team in the competition. I reckon Argentina will win the group with Ivory Coast coming second possibly on goal difference to Holland.

CollegeTillIDie
01/06/2006, 9:17 PM
Serbia Montenegro have the best defence in Europe on current form.
If they lost to Cote D'Ivoire it would be 1-0!

eirebhoy
01/06/2006, 11:35 PM
Serbia Montenegro have the best defence in Europe on current form.
Bulgaria had the best defence going into Euro 2004. It doesn't seem to count for much. :)

Giuly
03/06/2006, 11:08 AM
Keep an eye on Abdulkader Keita, playing for CIV. He plays for Lille since last summer and improved all trough the season; Finaly Lyon's president Aulas wants him to replace Govou on the right wing of the attack but fortunatly our own president won't let him go. He has got great skills, dribbling ("Ronaldinho like" Tricks) and is very powerfull.

Stuttgart88
05/06/2006, 3:12 PM
Looks like the Dutch & the Aussies were kicking lumps out of each other yesterday. Dutch had 3 off injured, van Bronckhorst, Cocu & Schneider while Wilshire was sent off for the Australia. Van Persie was throwing himself around too. I'd say Guus Hiddink's popularity in Holland has fallen a bit.

superfrank
06/06/2006, 10:09 AM
Bulgaria had the best defence going into Euro 2004. It doesn't seem to count for much. :)
And Serbia will be missing Nemanja Vidic, one of the best defenders around, prior to his Man U move.

DmanDmythDledge
06/06/2006, 10:50 PM
He is only suspended for the first game.

superfrank
07/06/2006, 8:24 AM
He is only suspended for the first game.
Exactly. The Netherlands are one of the best attacking teams, imo.

DmanDmythDledge
10/06/2006, 6:20 PM
I'm really looking forward to this group. All the matches in this group could be cracking games. I'd say that Ivory Coast will run Argentina close, but will lose 2-1.

Poor Student
10/06/2006, 6:32 PM
I'm looking forward to the game tonight having watched 3 dull enough games after the opener. Ivory Coast were very impressive against Slovenia in their last warm up friendly and steamrolled over them with ease.

DmanDmythDledge
10/06/2006, 6:44 PM
Line-ups for the game tonight;

Argentina: Abbondanzieri, Burdisso, Ayala, Heinze, Sorin, Maxi, Mascherano, Cambiasso, Riquelme, Saviola, Crespo.
Subs: Aimar, Coloccini, Cruz, Cufre, Franco, Gonzalez, Messi, Milito, Palacio, Scaloni, Tevez, Ustari.

Ivory Coast: Tizie, Eboue, Kolo Toure, Meite, Boka, Akale, Zokora, Kalou, Keita, Gneri Yaya Toure, Drogba.
Subs: Barry, Demel, Dindane, Domoraud, Fae, Gnanhouan, Arouna Kone, Bakari Kone, Kouassi, Romaric, Yapi Yapo, Zoro

I'm surprised to see Tevez left on the bench- I thought he would have got in ahead of Saviola. I don't know much about this Maxi fella. I think he plays in Spain but that's all I know about him.

Ivory Coast have a strong centre-mid pairing and they won't be afraid to get stuck into the Argies.

gustavo
11/06/2006, 12:37 PM
thought Ivory Coast done well enough. was a good game. cant wait to see one of my tips , Holland , play this afternoon , hopefully they put up a good display . Ill say 2-1 Holland . Van Nistelrooy and Robben and Zigic (sp?) the 6'7 Serb striker who will probably get a big money move after this

Poor Student
11/06/2006, 6:32 PM
I wasn't impressed by either the Dutch or the Serbs today. Holland seemed to be heavily reliant on Robben to come up with anything. Serbia lacked any real inventivenss. They did threaten Holland with a few crosses but I reckon they'll be going home as they'll probably be beaten by Argentina.

Closed Account 2
12/06/2006, 1:25 AM
I'm really looking forward to this group. All the matches in this group could be cracking games. I'd say that Ivory Coast will run Argentina close, but will lose 2-1.

Good call, any more tips ??

PS - Those Dutch players dive and roll around far too often.

DmanDmythDledge
12/06/2006, 1:34 AM
Good call, any more tips ??

PS - Those Dutch players dive and roll around far too often.
I thought the Argentina players were just as bad too.

I think that Argentina will beat S&M 2-0 and Ivory Coast/Holland will be 1-1.

Stuttgart88
13/06/2006, 10:20 AM
And Serbia will be missing Nemanja Vidic, one of the best defenders around, prior to his Man U move.
superfrank the clairvoyant! Vidic injured in training & out for the tournament.