PDA

View Full Version : Euro 2008 Group Watch

pineapple stu
31/05/2006, 1:07 PM
Germany had to come from 2-0 down at home to draw with Japan - two late goals too.

Czech Republic beat Costa Rica 1-0 at home.

wales' most recent games were a win over T&T (I think?) and a Basque XI.

Haven't seen anything from Slovakia, Cyprus or San Marino.

Nothing to be overly concerned by as yet really. Though it's not as if losing 1-0 to Chile at home will have the others quaking either.

Stuttgart88
31/05/2006, 2:09 PM
Wales' win over the Basques was the Basques first defeat in 14 years! Probably only their 3rd game in that period mind you. They beat T&T with a late Earnshaw goal. In March they drew 0-0 with Paraguay, but before that lost 1-0 to Cyprus (don't scoff - we nearly did too!).

WC06 will be a very good chance to check out Germany & Czechs.

The Czechs beat Saudia Arabia 2-0 last week.

Cyprus beat Armenia in March and lost to Slovenia in February having beaten Wales in November.

Slovakia's most recent friendlies were a 1-1 home draw with Belgium in May and a 2-1 win in Paris in March.

I just checked Slovakia's results in coming second in last campaign. Nothing to write home about. Included a 0-0 in Liechtenstein (where Portugal also drew). Generally speaking they outperformed Russia, Latvia and Estonia (Liechtenstein & Luxembourg were the minnows) in coming second to Portugal. Lots of draws in that group, a bit like ours I suppose. They went on to be resoundingly thumped by Spain.

jbyrne
31/05/2006, 5:37 PM
Though it's not as if losing 1-0 to Chile at home will have the others quaking either.

chilie had an alright result the other night, 1 all with ivory coast who will be the best of the african teams in the WC imo. they were much better than i thought they would be and had 1 or 2 very good players. they also had the incentive of winning to stay in the top 70 of fifa rankings which assists their players when seeking work permits in foreign countrys. i know we were rubbish against them but i think/hope that it can be put down to possible overtraining in portugal camp, end of season weariness and starting the game with a poor formation that set the tone for rest of game even when switched back to usual system.

pineapple stu
31/05/2006, 6:19 PM
Chile were a decent team alright - better than I'd thought they'd be. I wouldn't particularly place much weight in "best of the African teams" though - not after seeing Cameroon at the last World Cup.

Metrostars
01/06/2006, 12:53 PM
Actually the Czechs beat Costa Rica 2-0, they got a penalty in the last minute. I saw the majority of the game on TV. TBH, I wasnt that impressed by the Czechs, their defense is slow were caught out by some speedy Costa Ricans at times. The others like Nedved were taking it easy most of the time.

eirebhoy
01/06/2006, 3:55 PM
It looks like Nedved will be staying on after the world cup and I wouldn't be worried at all. He's nowhere near the player he was at his peak.