PDA

View Full Version : Ireland Team v Holland (and Germany)

Pages : [1] 2

TerryPhelan
30/05/2006, 9:47 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, Terry is glad to be back!
:)
Given that it's going to be basically an identical team lining out against the Dutch as the Germans, and going on the two friendlies and the likelihood of Irish lads getting first team football, who do people think Stan (and Bobby?!) will go with?

The most likely eleven to be picked will be as follows (i.e. not who I personally think SHOULD be picked, but who I think Stan will select anyway!):

Given

Finnan
Dunne
O'Brien
Harte

Miller
Reid
O'Shea
Duff

Keane
Doyle

With McGeady, Andy Reid, Carr, Joey O'Brien, Elliott, Morrison, Fabrizio Kavanelli (silver feather) and Paddy Kenny on the bench.

The team I would like to see line out would be as follows:

Given

Finnan
Dunne
O'Brien
Harte

Ronnie O'Brien/McGeady (trickery, speed, confidence - both these lads have it in abundance. All it needs is a bit of courage from 'd'gaffer')
S Reid
A Reid (the best place to deploy his excellent passing and vision: an old-style playmaker and, as in the last campaign, would take some of the creative burden off Duff. Also, his performance against France shows he has the engine, the aggression and the willingness to 'get stuck in' to succeed in CM)
Duff (praying for a move so he can rediscover his old swashbuckling self. Whoever said on an earlier thread that Chelsea have turned him into a wing-back was spot on!)

Keane
Doyle

With Elliott, Morrison, Kavanelli, Joey O'Brien, Carr, O'Shea, Kenny etc ar an bĂ­nse.

What do you people make of it?:ball:

Colbert Report
30/05/2006, 9:51 PM
Team I think he should pick:

Given
Finnan-O'Brien-Dunne-Harte
McGeady-SReid-Kavanaugh-Duff
Morrison-Keane

Team I think he will pick:
Given
Carr-O'Brien-Dunne-O'Shea
Finnan-SRied-Miller-Duff
Doyle-Keane

Stuttgart88
31/05/2006, 9:55 AM
I'd pick the following:

Given
Finnan-Dunne-O'Brien-Kilbane
Carr - Kavanagh* - S. Reid - Duff
Robbie - Clinton

McGeady, Doyle, A. Reid. Elliott, Harte and O'Shea all bench options.

I really hope Stan tries Carr RHM and forgets any notion of playing one of Europe's finest full backs anywhere other than, eh, full back.

* I'd like to see a match fit Andy Reid tried alongside Steven Reid in central midfield.

bawn79
31/05/2006, 10:09 AM
Team

Given
Finnan O Brien Dunne Harte
McGeady Kavanagh S Reid Duff
Doyle Keane

Seems to me to be the best players playing in there natural positions.

CraftyToePoke
31/05/2006, 10:19 AM
I'd pick the following:

Given
Finnan-Dunne-O'Brien-Kilbane
Carr - Kavanagh* - S. Reid - Duff
Robbie - Clinton

McGeady, Doyle, A. Reid. Elliott, Harte and O'Shea all bench options.

I really hope Stan tries Carr RHM and forgets any notion of playing one of Europe's finest full backs anywhere other than, eh, full back.

* I'd like to see a match fit Andy Reid tried alongside Steven Reid in central midfield.

i like the look of this side by and large, possibly moving Finnan accross to l.b. with carr at rb, not ideal i know, but i dont think Carr would bring enough to the midfield, id like to see Lawrence tried there, at least its his club spot.

i like the bench though, guys there who may change a game for a change, better than having Docherty sat there anyway, with your game changing hopes pinned in him.

bwagner
31/05/2006, 10:58 AM
My team for the dutch game.......test run

Given
Finnan Dunne O brien Harte
Lawerence S.reid Kavanagh Duff
Keane Morrison

NeilMcD
31/05/2006, 11:00 AM
my team would be

Given

Finnan A. O Brien Dunne Kilbane

A.Reid S. Reid Kavanagh Duff

Doyle Keane

Subs Kenny OShea, McGeady, Morrison, J O Brien

Donal81
31/05/2006, 11:12 AM
Given

Steve Finnan, Richard Dunne, Andy O'Brien, Kevin Kilbane

Aiden McGeady, Stephen Reid, Graham Kavanagh, Damien Duff

Robbie Keane, Kevin Doyle

We need to settle on a first eleven as soon as possible, I really think this is vital.

Andy Reid, Clinton Morrison, John O'Shea, Ian Harte, Paddy Kenny, Steve Carr on the bench.

eirebhoy
31/05/2006, 11:56 AM
I'd be happy with most of the teams put up in this thread. I think most of us can agree on:

Given
Finnan - Dunne - O'Brien - *
* - Kavanagh - Reid - Duff
Keane - *

For left back it seems its between Kilbane and Harte.
Up front it's between Doyle and Morrison.
Right midfield between A.Reid / Lawrence / McGeady / Carr.

That's the people's choice but we all know he'll find a spot for John O'Shea in there somewhere and fck it up. :)

shakermaker1982
31/05/2006, 12:00 PM
My team for Holland:

Given

Finnan Dunne O'Brien Kilbane

McGeady Kavanagh S Reid Duff

Keane Doyle

You guys don't seriously think he'll start with Miller or O'Shea? Please God no.

Superhoops
31/05/2006, 8:46 PM
....That's the people's choice but we all know he'll find a spot for John O'Shea in there somewhere and fck it up. :)
Wouldn't bet on that just yet.

thejollyrodger
31/05/2006, 9:00 PM
the fact that Jayo wont be in the squad is criminal

theworm2345
31/05/2006, 9:26 PM
(If someone is on the far right, it doesnt mean they are on the wing)
Given

Finnan---Harte---Dunne---Breen

O'Shea

S. Reid---Kilbane

Duff

Doyle---Keane

Subs: Kenny, Morrison, A. O'Brien, Henderson, Connolly, Kavanagh, Miller, A. Reid, Liam Lawrence, Carr, J. O'Brien, Elliott, MARK KENNEDY

No "blackhole (as I called him)," McGeady who gave it away everytime against Chile, Stephen Kelly wasnt impressive either

EDIT:
The most likely eleven to be picked will be as follows (i.e. not who I personally think SHOULD be picked, but who I think Stan will select anyway!):

CRAP

dr_peepee
31/05/2006, 9:57 PM
I dunno what team I'd want to start TBH...

He may start with a similar line up and formation to the team that started against Sweden, with possibly someone more versatile in the role that Steven Elliot played in that Right Midfield/Interchangable Forward role (Maybe McGeady/Andy Reid)

Not convinced by O'Shea either but all the signs are he'll start with Reid in the Middle.

Morrison should start against Holland in a chance to defend his place as I still think it's his place to loose and not to displace Doyle.

Another look at Kilbane at left full wouldn't do any harm.

I dunno lads... Staunton has been a bit off the wall on his formations and selections so it's anyones guess.

joema
31/05/2006, 10:02 PM
Dont know who he will pick (may be injuries aswell!!) but Id love to see Andy Reid in the centre - he's our most creative player IMO and would link up well with Doyler up front

TerryPhelan
31/05/2006, 10:52 PM
EDIT:
CRAP

That's really eloquent. Just what did you find so objectionable in what I wrote?

DmanDmythDledge
31/05/2006, 11:14 PM
Does anyone think that John O'Shea would be a better option that Andy O'Brien at CB? When he first came on the scene at Man Utd he looked like he could make the position his own in years to come. However he has been tried in various positions since and was never given a good run at CB. I feel he would be a better option that A O'B.

eirebhoy
31/05/2006, 11:37 PM
O'Brien has done nothing yet to lose his place. In fact, he was one of the most consistant players under Kerr and never once put in a bad performance or was the cause of a goal. O'Shea had the potential to be a lot better than O'Brien but I think O'Brien is the safer bet atm.

Buller
31/05/2006, 11:58 PM
Our Strongest Starting Lineup In My Opinion

GK: Given

RB: Finnan
CB: Dunne
CB: O'Brien
LB: Harte

RM: McGeady
DCM: O'Shea ???
ACM: Reid
LM: Duff

S: Keane
S: Doyle

Sadly i think we are very average and are lacking some class in the middle of the park....

theworm2345
01/06/2006, 3:09 AM
That's really eloquent. Just what did you find so objectionable in what I wrote?
No, my lineup was crap, it didnt follow that, Stan would never call Connolly or Kennedy :(

Stuttgart88
01/06/2006, 7:32 AM
Does anyone think that John O'Shea would be a better option that Andy O'Brien at CB? When he first came on the scene at Man Utd he looked like he could make the position his own in years to come. However he has been tried in various positions since and was never given a good run at CB. I feel he would be a better option that A O'B.
Despite looking shaky at club level I think O'Brien has been consistently good for Ireland. I think he's more of a continental style centre-back which is useful to have. He'd complemenent Dunne well in my opinion. I'd only consider O'Shea as first choice in that position if he was playing there regularly at club level, which I'd like to see.

tetsujin1979
01/06/2006, 2:25 PM
I think that whoever is picked at the centre half pairing, at least one will have to show some sort of leadership abilities. Having lost Kenny, we need to replace the organisational qualities he brought to the side. Right now I'd go with Dunne, he's captained Man City on several occasions this past season and I've watched him order around the younger players, telling them where to stand and who to mark etc. With any luck he could develop into a future captain of the national side.

Irish_Praha
01/06/2006, 3:13 PM
With any luck he could develop into a future captain of the national side.

I can't see that title being taken away from Keane and he's about the same age. So only if Dunne goes on to play a few years longer or if 2 superstar strikers come along in the near future and displace Keane from the starting 11. Dixon and Stokes maybe? :D

Colbert Report
01/06/2006, 5:48 PM
Off topic but I was very very surprised to see Keane get the armband. I thought for sure it would be either Given or Dunne, my preference being Dunne. He looks like a more vocal Paul McGrath out there.

DmanDmythDledge
01/06/2006, 8:39 PM

LB: Kilbane

RM: McGeady
DCM: Kavanagh
ACM: S. Reid

S: Keane
S: Doyle

Also think that Mahon and A. Reid should be tried out in CM for the last half-hour.

DmanDmythDledge
01/06/2006, 8:40 PM
Off topic but I was very very surprised to see Keane get the armband. I thought for sure it would be either Given or Dunne, my preference being Dunne. He looks like a more vocal Paul McGrath out there.
Ye Dunne would have seemed the more logical choice. I don't really like having strikers as captains as they are less involved in the game.

TheJamaicanP.M.
02/06/2006, 9:54 AM
Ye Dunne would have seemed the more logical choice. I don't really like having strikers as captains as they are less involved in the game.

I'd agree that defenders and central midfielders make better captains. However, from what I can remember of the game against Sweden, Andy O'Brien was the one organising the defence. One of the flaws in Dunne's game is that he's often not vocal enough.

Closed Account 2
18/06/2006, 2:40 AM
On the basis of their 2 matches so far in the World Cup, the Dutch are a very dirty team. Van Bommel practically broke Boka's (Ivory Coast) ankle in the second half. Van Persie and Robben roll around all over the place, the look Robben gave when he got a yellow the other day for diving was priceless. We need to watch ourselfs against this shower in August, they could well try and get our players sent off and Van Bommel is a dirty player.

theworm2345
22/06/2006, 4:57 AM
they could well try and get our players sent off
That wouldnt matter, would it? If you red-carded in a friendly, does it affect the Euro or WC Qualifiers?

NeilMcD
22/06/2006, 11:36 AM
When was the last time an Ireland player was sent off in a friendly. Not going to happen.

Stuttgart88
22/06/2006, 11:53 AM
Roy Keane against Russia?

Poor Student
22/06/2006, 12:03 PM
What's the exact date of the Dutch fixture?

Stuttgart88
22/06/2006, 12:16 PM
16th August I think.

Who'd take Kevin Nolan now? (I'll put on my helmet)

geysir
22/06/2006, 12:33 PM
That wouldnt matter, would it? If you red-carded in a friendly, does it affect the Euro or WC Qualifiers?
Not sure, but I thought that it did have effect in qual. games. Any definite answer?
I wouldn't be too worried about Dutch players diving in a friendly.

I haven't seen Germany play yet, i'd say it will be a fair enough indicator for our game to see them play Sweden.
ATM I think our Euro hopes are resting on how O'Shea performs for us as most seem to think that he will be selected.

cavan_fan
22/06/2006, 2:46 PM
Who'd take Kevin Nolan now? (I'll put on my helmet)

I have to say this is the key question that can make a significant difference to our time.

The decider would seem to be if McClaren will pick him and I suspect if he's not in their first squad he wont ever be. After this we we shoudl all get very drunk and holding our noses beg Nolan to play for us. Watching major tournaments with the Swiss rather than us is crap

TheJamaicanP.M.
22/06/2006, 5:52 PM
Roy Keane against Russia?

How about Liam Daish and Niall Quinn who were sent off against Mexico in the US Cup later that year?;)

Closed Account 2
25/06/2006, 11:02 PM
Dutch very dirty again tonight

Diarmo
27/06/2006, 2:55 PM
I'd be critical of John O'Shea in the middle of the park against Germany. No footballing brain. I reckon in the short term, Kavanagh is the better option because he can pass better and dictate the game more. So I'd go with

DCM: Kavangh
CM: Steven Reid
RM: McGeady/Reid (depending on club form of either)

CF: Keane
CF: Doyle

Dr. Ogba
27/06/2006, 9:42 PM
I'd be critical of John O'Shea in the middle of the park against Germany. No footballing brain. I reckon in the short term, Kavanagh is the better option because he can pass better and dictate the game more. So I'd go with

DCM: Kavangh
CM: Steven Reid
RM: McGeady/Reid (depending on club form of either)

CF: Keane
CF: Doyle

That's EXACTLY the line-up I'd go for....Definitely the most balanced team that we could put out with the players at our disposal and a few handy players on the bench also....Morrison, Reid/McGeady, O'Shea, Miller (despite being much maligned I still think he has a bit to offer)....

I think we could have a fighting chance to qualify from this group if all of the above stay fit and playing...

shakermaker1982
28/06/2006, 9:45 AM
The only change I'd consider from the team above is Kilbane maybe playing LB. He played well against Chile and impressed me for once. McGeady has to start, plenty of tricks when he came on and offered something different.

Kavanagh and S Reid MUST play from the start. O'Shea will be rolled over against the Germans.

bwagner
28/06/2006, 9:59 AM
is carr not a option lads?

eirebhoy
28/06/2006, 11:27 AM
Yeah, I'd like to see Diarmo's lineup against Holland at least.

murtybyrne
28/06/2006, 12:53 PM
Would Like to see him going with this, probably our strongest!

GK : Given

RB : Finnan
LB : O'Shea - Not a huge fan but harte offers nothing but dead ball so would opt for oshea
CB : Dunne
CB : O' Brien

RM : McGeady - Defo deserves the chance to show us what he can do
CM : A Reid
CM : Kavanagh, but if there was a possiblilty of Nolan this would change but that aint probably goin to happen!!!!!
LM : Duff

S : Keane
S : Doyle - but probably go with Morrison

colster
28/06/2006, 1:11 PM
Would Like to see him going with this, probably our strongest!

GK : Given

RB : Finnan
LB : O'Shea - Not a huge fan but harte offers nothing but dead ball so would opt for oshea
CB : Dunne
CB : O' Brien

CM : A Reid
CM : Kavanagh, but if there was a possiblilty of Nolan this would change but that aint probably goin to happen!!!!!
LM : Duff

S : Keane
S : Doyle - but probably go with Morrison

Definitely wouldn't have A.Reid in CM. The Dutch and Germans would take him to the cleaners.

theworm2345
01/07/2006, 4:14 AM

He was a black hole against Chile, got the ball, tried to make some fancy moves, and lost it everytime

eirebhoy
01/07/2006, 1:47 PM
McGeady is like all the young fancy players (C.Ronaldo, Ribery, Schweinsteiger, etc). One excellent game every 3 or 4.

elroy
03/07/2006, 11:21 AM
Dont think anyone has mentioned Stephen Ireland, I think we should give him a go alongside Stevie Reid. I think he probably has the best range of passing skills of our midfielders, ya I know hes inexperienced etc but none of the other options are greatly inspiring.
i think its worth taking a risk in the Holland game at least, if he performs well there, then he should start against the Germans.

Still think we've problems on who to play on the right though. Think Carr may not be the quickest these days, but how about him playing in front of finnan on the right?

Stuttgart88
03/07/2006, 5:30 PM
Agree totally about Carr playing RMH with Finnan Right Full. Has always made sense to me & I'm surprised it hasn't been tried. Finnan is more solid defending & Carr is more aggressive going foward.

If you look at Stephen Ireland playing for City you can see he operates best in the last third, or rather, of all the players we could pick who can unlock a defence with a clever pass it's he. However, he depends a lot on Joey Barton covering every blade of grass for the two of them to be effective together. Steve Reid has similar attributes to Barton & thse two could well forge a partnership, but maybe not just yet.

Lawrence is an option on the right that we've yet to see.

Watching Argentina recently made me recall McGeady vs AC Milan. Wasn't it Colochini (spelling?) that McGeady ran ragged that night? Speaking of Colochini, any UCD fans remember Mark McKenna (''Stick'')? Were he and Colochini separated at birth?

Paddy Garcia
08/07/2006, 9:24 PM
.......now that Carsley has made himself available for selection, we have half a chance of firming up the weakest centre midfield we have had in over 20 years. So:

Given

Finnan
Dunne
O'Brien
O'Shea

Duff
S Reid
Carsley
J O'Brien with McGeady warming up

Keane
Doyle

I'd give Lawrence a long run against Holland to asssess what he has to offer in an international environment.

southbucket2001
31/07/2006, 8:59 PM
I don't know about giving Carsley the reins in centre midfield - still havent fully forgiven him for penalty v Romania, circa late 90s. Especially when we head to Croke he might be thinking its GAA time again . . .

But he's worth a spot in the squad but was this not the problem when he took an international break?

Heres my team v Germany

Super Shay

Stevie Finnan
O'Shea
Honey Monster (favourite player)
Harte

McGeady
Stephen Reid
Alan Quinn (most underrated palyer we have)
Duff

Robbie
Doyle

Bench men
Kenny
Carr
Morrison
Miller
Byrne
O'Brien
McCarthy
Delap
Kavanelli
"Jese we are short squad wise"

Must make set pieces count in this campaign.

Good luck all