PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Russia

CollegeTillIDie
29/05/2006, 8:20 AM
The next World Cup Qualification Group game for the Republic Of Ireland Women's Senior team will take place on Saturday June 17. Venue and kick off time to be confirmed , but we know who the opponents will be ... Russia.

Ireland played them in Moscow last July but were beaten 5-1 in scorcing temperatures. Bouyed by a recent creditable 0-1 defeat away to Germany Noel King's team are confident of getting a better result against Russia this time.

pool 7
03/06/2006, 9:39 AM
Heard Noel King was in Mayo last weekend,working with Mayo league team.I wonder was he looking at 1/2 players for senior panel.It would be great for Mayo soccer if players made the panel.Have some good players??

CollegeTillIDie
03/06/2006, 9:52 AM
Mayo has always produced a high number of underage internationals it would be no surprise if one or two made the senior panel. You would have had one by now only Clare Egan chose thugball instead. The Nevin sisters( Eilis and Tara) are currently playing in the Dublin Women's Soccer League with one of the Dundalk teams and might be knocking on the door soon. Very good performances last season during the successful Cup campaign.

pool 7
03/06/2006, 10:04 AM
Ya.Egan would have made it.what about Mullin,Lilly,Ruane,current players??

CollegeTillIDie
03/06/2006, 9:00 PM
Ya.Egan would have made it.what about Mullin,Lilly,Ruane,current players??

Emma Mullin is already an Irish Universities Soccer International. Myles Kelly, who is Noel King's assistant with the Senior Republic of Ireland team, looks after them so she is being monitored.But I suspect she will opt to play against Australia in the thugball international series instead.

pool 7
06/06/2006, 4:24 PM
CTID would you agree but alot of the good players feel they have to play in dublin to be seen??nothing against dublin.but if so i think its wrong.4 strong regions has to be more beneficial to womens soccer???

Countryripple
06/06/2006, 4:55 PM
Thats where a National League would come in handy instead of itsy bity leagues all over the place. Lot more scope for seeing players throughout the country then.

CollegeTillIDie
06/06/2006, 7:47 PM
CTID would you agree but alot of the good players feel they have to play in dublin to be seen??nothing against dublin.but if so i think its wrong.4 strong regions has to be more beneficial to womens soccer???

Well I think, Countryripple is right, what we need is a National League for Women's Soccer, so players based in the Regions would get to play against Dublin sides and vice versa. This would enable players to be seen and gauged against opposition deemed to be of a high standard which would enable them to show if they have what it takes to be international standard players, without them having to leave their own region.

But pool7 the real problem with all the players you listed is they dissipate their energies playing the other code.

CollegeTillIDie
06/06/2006, 9:11 PM
According to UEFA.Com the game takes place on Saturday June 17 2006 at Richmond Park with a 7 p.m. kick off. Russia have beaten Scotland 4-0 away recently. Scotland beat Ireland 2-0 at Richmond Park in our last home game.

pool 7
07/06/2006, 10:00 AM
Yes a National League is important.But how far away is it??How would a national league be structured.Is womens soccer in ireland ready for it.
Maybe there are a lot of itsy bity leagues but they must help a little!!!

Number9
12/06/2006, 3:50 PM
Rasher's Western League is a great step forward at senior level - the itsy bitsy leagues provide representative teams who then compete against each other. Quite a few of these itsy bitsy league teams would then compete in the senior cup.

To be seen at national level, the best players have to be picked for a representative panel (eg at underage - the Gaynor Cup). If the representative panel manager is not neutral ( has this ever happened??) or indeed is not fair (surely this has never happened!!!) ,then chances are that some of the better players will be allowed to slip through the net. A mechanism needs to be put in place to catch these players. Perhaps an FAI RDO should be put in place to manage each development panel, rather than volunteer coaches/managers. Especially at underage.

I believe that there is TALK of Regional Acadamies or Schools of Excellence. Perhaps an insight into one of these, it's requirements and it's objectives will be revealed on Wednesday in Merrion Square at the launch of the female development plan. These Acadamies may be the vehicles to prevent players from being overlooked. By the way - WHY LAUNCH THE DEVELOPMENT PLAN ON A WEDNESDAY??

Even if these Acadamies are set up and patch up some of the holes in the catchment net, I believe that the national selectors must travel, ie leave Dublin - and not just for a weekend at the start of July to watch the Gaynor Cup. Or perhaps the FAI RDOs be asked to cover selected matches (perhaps these matches could be hand picked by the itsy bitsy leagues to showcase players passed over by selectors of representative panels and/or national panels) with analysis being sent back to Dublin HQ. Better to see a player in competitive action playing with players they know well as opposed to a training session or a practice match or a trial match.

CollegeTillIDie
13/06/2006, 8:52 AM
Rasher's Western League is a great step forward at senior level - the itsy bitsy leagues provide representative teams who then compete against each other. Quite a few of these itsy bitsy league teams would then compete in the senior cup.

To be seen at national level, the best players have to be picked for a representative panel (eg at underage - the Gaynor Cup). If the representative panel manager is not neutral ( has this ever happened??) or indeed is not fair (surely this has never happened!!!) ,then chances are that some of the better players will be allowed to slip through the net. A mechanism needs to be put in place to catch these players. Perhaps an FAI RDO should be put in place to manage each development panel, rather than volunteer coaches/managers. Especially at underage.

I believe that there is TALK of Regional Acadamies or Schools of Excellence. Perhaps an insight into one of these, it's requirements and it's objectives will be revealed on Wednesday in Merrion Square at the launch of the female development plan. These Acadamies may be the vehicles to prevent players from being overlooked. By the way - WHY LAUNCH THE DEVELOPMENT PLAN ON A WEDNESDAY??

Even if these Acadamies are set up and patch up some of the holes in the catchment net, I believe that the national selectors must travel, ie leave Dublin - and not just for a weekend at the start of July to watch the Gaynor Cup. Or perhaps the FAI RDOs be asked to cover selected matches (perhaps these matches could be hand picked by the itsy bitsy leagues to showcase players passed over by selectors of representative panels and/or national panels) with analysis being sent back to Dublin HQ. Better to see a player in competitive action playing with players they know well as opposed to a training session or a practice match or a trial match.

Agree with you about the Western League being a step forward.

The Development plan is being launched on a Wednesday for two reasons
1/ Wednesday is a slow news day, so the papers are more likely to give it a bit of coverage.

2/ It is also being used to publicise the International game on Saturday and as there are some international players back home preparing for this game they are also being brought to the event to help launch the plan.

Well the last section I would endorse 100% too

Magicme
13/06/2006, 8:56 AM
What time is the launch at?

As for RDO's the FAI in the process of recruiting Womens Football RDO's so that is a positive step and the centres of excellence, while in the planning stages, some should be a reality in the next 3-4 years from what I hear.

Number9
13/06/2006, 1:48 PM
While the development plan, Noel Kings appointment, RDOs etc may be positive steps, a time scale of 3-4 years for SOME centres of excellence to become reality does in my opininion reflect what the WFAI is all about - lets maintain the status quo, lets put things on the long finger, leave it long enough and it'll be forgotten or maybe we'll just put our heads back in the sand, well hasn't it always been done that way, lets get the girls out on the pitch - isn't that what it's all about anyway? Sure it is if you don't want to raise standards.

Be transparant, enforce your rules and regulations to make the game better, support the itsy bitsy leagues, become pro-active, stand on peoples toes if necessary, acknowledge that there are always (at least) 2 sides to every tale, encourage grass root volunteers to stand up and be counted, let them rock the boat. Rock the boat yourself. With good leadership it won't sink.

The female game needs a major overhaul - let's hope it's in the plan.

Magicme
13/06/2006, 3:56 PM
I am not saying that centres wont be open until 3-4 years but I have heard of some in the pipeline and it will take time for all the wonderful facilities that are needed to be put in place.....am just guessing it will take a few years b4 they are up and running properly.

Afaik the RDOs are on their way very soon. Again this is all just from reading and listening to what is being said.

Wanted to go to the launch of the development plan myself but cant get out of work tomoro and its on at 12.45 so no way would make it....oh well.

Countryripple
13/06/2006, 4:39 PM
Where is it on?

Magicme
13/06/2006, 4:48 PM
Merrion Square next door to FAI I think

Henry14
13/06/2006, 5:49 PM
College til I die: How do you feel you know so much about these so called "thugball" players? If you knew as much as you think you did you woul know that Emma Mullen only began playing GAELIC FOOTBALL with Mayo (this year) when Mayo had reached the League Semi Final, BECAUSE she had been concentrating on her college SOCCER career. She had been focussing on soccer as her no1 sport in the hope that she might get a call up to Irish Senior Squad. I think she has again proven herself in the League as one of the top goalscorers. However its that ignorance that makes people think that she is focussed on as you call it "thugball". We should be complementing her ability to play 2 sports at the highest standard rather than discouraging her away from gaelic football.

pool 7
15/06/2006, 10:31 AM
Well said Henry14.we have to complement a great "all" sports player mullin.Just cant understand why she is not getting a chance at senior level!!

Countryripple
16/06/2006, 12:35 PM
Hey guys,

The FAI website as usual is a bit slow at gettin the womens news up :rolleyes: Can anyone confirm that kick off tmrw is 7pm? Cheers.

Henry14
16/06/2006, 3:29 PM
The game is on at 7pm in Richmond Park

CollegeTillIDie
22/06/2006, 7:14 PM
College til I die: How do you feel you know so much about these so called "thugball" players? If you knew as much as you think you did you woul know that Emma Mullen only began playing GAELIC FOOTBALL with Mayo (this year) when Mayo had reached the League Semi Final, BECAUSE she had been concentrating on her college SOCCER career. She had been focussing on soccer as her no1 sport in the hope that she might get a call up to Irish Senior Squad. I think she has again proven herself in the League as one of the top goalscorers. However its that ignorance that makes people think that she is focussed on as you call it "thugball". We should be complementing her ability to play 2 sports at the highest standard rather than discouraging her away from gaelic football.

1/I was the WFAI Delegate with an Under 17 International Women's team which included Emma Mullin in 2001 so I know her a while. She has won All-Ireland medals with Mayo, I've seen her in the final on television! She won her first all-Ireland medal at Gaelic football when she was 16.

2/ My antipathy towards "thugball" stems from one point. Several counties force their women players to sign contracts that they will not play soccer:mad: We don't do that to stop players playing Gaelic... the Bloody Ban is back!

Poor Student
22/06/2006, 9:00 PM
Well folks, what was the result?:confused:

prinz
22/06/2006, 10:21 PM
is it time sharon boyle called it a day on the international scene she is not up to it

Numero
23/06/2006, 10:33 AM
It is sad to see such comments posted and I'm not sure on what basis you are making your comments prinz. Also remember that the Irish women's national team are amateurs, not well-paid professionals who train every day and should be open to personal criticism of performance

Countryripple
23/06/2006, 10:53 AM
I agree about the critisim there. Where are you drawing this from when she didnt even get on the pitch?

I for one was disappointed to a certain extent. At least 3 or 4 players on the pitch on the day were pretty hopeless and had no impact on the game whatsoever! Im more than sure that there were better, more eger players on the bench.......and probably a hundred more in the stand!!!!

To see these players stroll around the pitch with hardly a tackle or a pass really frustrated me. The other players on the pitch were busting their guts as im sure that they felt they were the team with less players!!!

As for the Russians, they didnt even seem to break a sweat. They let our girls come at them for the majority of the game, then at the end when our team were getting very tired they just seemed to step up and put the foot down for the final blow. They certainly seemed a good outfit, very organised and very tactical.

Cant wait to see the Germans!!! :ball:

Numero
23/06/2006, 11:13 AM
Yeah I mean there appears to be a selection problem when it comes to the women's team - such as players who could do better not being picked and even players capable of international football not even being considered or really known about in those circles.

Regarding prinz's criticism it is odd that she is singling out a player who didn't play versus Russia! To a certain extent I think it's ok to offer opinions on individual performances in matches - particularly if a player's attitude was questionable - but they have to be specific and balanced

Countryripple
23/06/2006, 12:44 PM
I know. I didnt name the players in my last post because I didnt want offend anyone. But now that I think of it, if it was the mens team, players would be named in any comments that would be made about their performance be it good or bad.

I have nothing against any of these girls, im just making my comment on the lack of performance.

Elaine O Connor.........I dont know what postition she was supposed to be playing and neither did anyone around me whom i asked. If it was right back, surely its a criminal offence to say that that is the best right back available in this country!!! I witnessed one half hearted challenge from her that didnt even result in her winning the ball!! If it was right midfield she was playing, I never saw one run, one decent pass, one cross of the ball into the box for our forwards!!!

Sonia Hughes........Sonia made a couple of tackles and a few good passes. She was very unlucky with her shot just skimming over the bar. But when it came to breaking down plays in the centre of field she was kind of non existant.

Laura Hislop..........Just looked lethargic and non interested. Was useless at taking on the opposing defenders and didnt ever threaten them.

All of these players looked un-fit, had no enthusiasm and looked very far from any match fitness and sharpness was just not there at all.

I can say that every other player on the pitch gave all they could. Ciara Grant was everywhere in the middle of the pitch and busted her guts to chase everything down. Oliva O Toole looked like she was playing lone striker on the day and didnt give up once, always snapping at heels looking for that break. The defenders i thought had a hard time of it because they were always under attack. But they did extremly well and battled all the way to the end.

If I give an opinion of everyones performance ill get no work done...so ill leave it at that for my rant.:D

Numero
23/06/2006, 12:58 PM
Well if players looked unfit hopefully the manager has caught onto this - i hope players are given their own training regime to keep up with because that's the type of focus players need - cos let's face it, fitness work is boring and you need goals to be set in order to get through it. am not sure if the women's side are given such fitness goals, it wouldnt surprise me if they weren't.

Noel King also has to not be scared to drop 'stalwarts' - sometimes it's a good thing for players and just what they need in order to return to form

Countryripple
23/06/2006, 2:39 PM
there is no way a player of international level should be lacking fitness and sharpness. if they do, they simply dont go on the pitch. there are an abundance of players out there that are at the peak of their fitness and would probably have more ability than some of those seen in the green shirts!

Poor Student
23/06/2006, 2:49 PM
Hello? What was the score?

Numero
23/06/2006, 2:53 PM
Am not making excuses for any players but the gap between international matches is just too much for some players. I'm not sure if all the internationals play summer football - it is possible that some of those based in the US actually don't play during summer cos they play during academic year. Again, this isn't right.

It's not acceptable to be unfit, but it doesn't really surprise me when you take into account how women's football is structured. Am not saying the FAI should dictate players' lives but surely during the summer the international squad should all come back to Ireland and play in matches every few weeks- maybe the FAI could utiliise them in coaching schemes etc/set them up in some football-related employment for summer- and let them take part in friendlies against the better women's club sides and even underage lads teams. This doesn't seem to happen. How do Germany do things? That's what people should be looking at.

Numero
23/06/2006, 2:56 PM
Score was Ireland 0 Russia 2. You can get results on fai.ie

Countryripple
23/06/2006, 4:16 PM
Copy and paste this link for some info on how the Germans do it!!! Amazing for a country that up until 1970 forbade women to play soccer!!!! and even when they uplifted that ban there were still alot of restrictions on how they played.

http://www.goethe.de/ins/au/prj/fbl/dst/en1168755.htm

Numero
23/06/2006, 4:40 PM
Yeah very interesting. Am not surprised to hear that the German women sometimes train with men. It is something all women's sides who really want to achieve something need to incorporate into their training. The fact is that men are faster and stronger than women and it will push women above their limits. Ideally underage lads teams would be best - and am sure the lads would be given a run for their money by the better female sides. Also, the international women's team should play friendlies against the better female club sides. This would help their rythem of play and also give the Irish manager a chance to look at some players from the club side who may have been overlooked. But hey this is all so obvious.

CollegeTillIDie
25/06/2006, 10:54 PM
Numero

The Secretary of the DWSL, Mal O'Reilly, and myself offered to give Noel Kings Republic Of Ireland Senior Selections training friendlies against a Dublin League Selection. To date this offer has not been taken up. At the time we made the offer, Rathfarnham had a decent Romanian player and Dutch player among their ranks and they were two of the players we had in mind for the League Selection.

Numero
26/06/2006, 10:31 AM
Ok CTID, but by the way I think it would also be a better idea to get the international side to play the better club sides, instead of just a Dublin selection.

That's interesting about the foreign players although I'm not sure what point you are making

CollegeTillIDie
27/06/2006, 12:56 AM
Ok CTID, but by the way I think it would also be a better idea to get the international side to play the better club sides, instead of just a Dublin selection.

That's interesting about the foreign players although I'm not sure what point you are making

The inclusion of the foreign players in the Dublin selection would have meant that Kinger would have had the option of selecting two more players for his " Ireland" selection than might otherwise have been the case. Given that the Romanian had been capped for her country previously , and the Dutch player was not living in Ireland long enough to be eligible for citizenship here.

Numero
03/07/2006, 11:48 AM
Ok.

But CTID, with all due respect, who says that you and that other guy knows exactly which players are best for the Dublin selection?? If you are forming your own Dublin selection to take on the international side you are lessening the possibility of the international side taking on the top club sides - where all players with the top teams would be seen by the Irish set-up. This is also also being very Dublin-centric. I think you should think about that .

For example, I know a few quality players whose names aren't that well-known, but are very good players who perhaps you don't know too much about. Also, why should the international team take on a team that is just a selection and don't play together often? Why not take on the likes of Peamount, UCD, Raheny, Lifford, a Cork club team, team from the North etc

greenumbro
03/07/2006, 2:18 PM
U make a fair point Numero... I agree with ya in that it would be a good idea for the international to play against a team, who are a team! Who play together week in, week out and who know eachothers games, strenghts and weaknesses, however... I don't know/think if this would be possible...
I'm not sure how this affects other teams but regards Raheny, if the international team was to play against them, the Raheny team, while still being very strong, would undoubtedly, be significantly weakened as the would be losing a number of the best players to the international team... At the moment the Raheny team have three players playing for the Irish senior team and many others playing for the the under age teams... I think Peamount would be in a similar position? They'd be missing Katie Taylor anyway... As I said, this would be a good idea if it'd work? Do any of the UCD team currently play on the Irish team, if not, I agree with Numero and think it'd be worth while... Y can play both - selection and club teams? Surely the more friendlies played, the better? :confused:

CollegeTillIDie
05/07/2006, 8:24 PM
UCD have no current internationals in their team in fact I cannot remember the last time a UCD student other than Katie Taylor made an international soccer squad. How they can overlook the likes of Mary Waldron and Sylvia Gee is amazing to me personally.

Numero
05/07/2006, 10:48 PM
I'd have to agree with you there CTID, and after all, UCD have been the best team in the country for the past few years.
I think the focus with the international team seems to be: we'll blood teenagers. That's fine, but they also need to introduce or re-introduce slightly older players

Countryripple
06/07/2006, 10:28 AM
Here here. Definately two great players. And just two of those out there who have been overlooked. But i dont beleive there is any point playing older players to get a mix of youth and experience. It should just be a team that has players with the ability to mix it up at international level. Yes loyalty goes without saying to Kinger when it comes to senior players and players he has been coaching for the last 10 years. But we all know that at least 50% of our senior squad could be dropped straight away and be replaced by players who are much more capable of doing the job.

greenumbro
06/07/2006, 1:09 PM
I have to agree with Ripple here... There are so many players out there who, like you said have much more ability than some players currently on the senior team... Its a tricky one as experience and loyality are important in my opinion, however there needs to be a balance regards ability, fitness, skill.... Ideally every player should have all these qualities, I know that is very rare however surely if the next couple of years rae used as a "building period" by "blooding teenagers" as mentioned, then all the current squad should be young enough now to ensure that they will be still around and, in fact in, still their prime in a few yrs time, after the building have been completed and not be retiring as many current players will/may be...
What is the point in these players being part of the building up process, if they aren't going to be around to be part of the final product meaning that once again new players need to be built up.... :confused:

Numero
06/07/2006, 2:24 PM
Just in response to Countryripple, I wasn't saying put in older players for the sake of it, I agree that the best player should always be picked irrespective of age. I was just saying someone shouldn't have to be a teenager to get a chance because that's just ridiculous.

Greenumbro, I think the Irish manager should be looking to plan for each campaign - Euro qualifiers and World Cup qualifiers - so squad development is over a period of 3+years, so any player selected would need to be around within that timeframe. There is no point building for more years than that

greenumbro
06/07/2006, 3:06 PM
I agree with you Numero... That is what I was trying to say... Build for the next qualifiers or whatever/whenever the next upcoming tournament/competition is, however if that time is say 3 yrs, there may be certain players on the team at the moment who may only play for another yr or so before retiring.... Thereby not being around for the qualifying games or for the tournament itself... Ok, I'm not really making any sense... :confused:
I guess what I'm trying to say is if a player starts a qualifying campaign they should have the full intentions and ability to see the full tournament through(obviously once an injury etc does not occur)...

Numero
06/07/2006, 7:39 PM
Yeah, that makes sense. I think on some occasions some players who do plan retiring should stay on as mentors, or something like that. Because some younger players coming through, irrespetive of pace and skill, might be a bit lacking in their mindet/decisions on the pitch - and players with a lot of experience generally are mentally strong

greenumbro
06/07/2006, 9:36 PM
Yea, every young player needs a mentor or somebody to look up to, somebody to help them along the way (other than just their manager)...
Having said all that though, as players get older, while they may lose some of their pace or whatever, they get stonger and therefore may be able to make up for the loss in pace with the strenght and experience built up so.... It's a tough call... In my opinion, it's up to the player, as well as the manager, to decide when it is time to call it a day(on their international career anyway)...

CollegeTillIDie
08/07/2006, 6:24 PM
UCD defender Niamh Connolly is currently performing better than any of the current International back four.