PDA

View Full Version : Town dump Cork out of the Cup!

Dillo
27/05/2006, 12:55 PM
All credit to the red and black army last night. Didn't make it down for the match but fair play to TG4 with a fine coverage. And special praise is also due to the Section O faithful who made themselves heard for the entire 90 minutes! Just when it looked as if the town's season was over and their FAI Cup adventure was coming to an end, up popped the fabulous Baker Boy to save the day. And what a superbly struck volley from O' Connor to send the rebels home empty handed! :p
And to cap it off what a sore looser is Rico moaning about a rough ride from officialdom. He said he's going to have to consider his future over the next few months! Work away Rico... :rolleyes:

Let's not get carried away though. Longford are not playing well at the moment and are very weak in a number of positions. The players that have gone have not been replaced with the same quality. Our midfield was clueless in the first half last night. Cork were technically miles ahead (as you'd expect from a full-time set up) but this result reflects the beauty of the cup competition.

But with a bit of luck in the draw, who knows? A another trip to Lansdowne might just be on the cards!

Maz
27/05/2006, 1:06 PM
Wont lansdowne be closed?

But you're right, a great win and a great night for town fans

Dillo
27/05/2006, 1:07 PM
True I forgot about that!

RonnieB
27/05/2006, 1:08 PM
I really miss the games at times like this. The old fella was there and said rico nearly lost the plot when he told him it was just a game :D

Very angry man, if he needs to consider his future lets hope he doesnt spend to long mulling :)

Great win for the lads, delighted with it, as after the bohs win hope we can go on and build on it. Good to see Dave Mooney back on, the lad should play every game he can if he is fit.

RonnieB
27/05/2006, 1:10 PM
:D was no other replys while I was typing lol, 1:06, 07 and 08 :)

Maz
27/05/2006, 1:16 PM
I thought Robbie Martin and Sean Prunty did particularly well last night..was very impressed

Dillo
27/05/2006, 1:25 PM
Yeah Prunty had a great first half and Robbie Martin alway looked dangerous. Paisley, O' Connor and Doherty were generally solid too. Both Mooney and Kirby are lively and should've started.

I'd have major doubts about Cronin, Byrne and Myler. And could Shay Kelly have done better with that O' Flynn strike?

Anyway let's hope this result can kick start the season!

RockofGibraltar
28/05/2006, 11:04 AM
Let's not get carried away though. Longford are not playing well at the moment and are very weak in a number of positions. The players that have gone have not been replaced with the same quality. Our midfield was clueless in the first half last night. Cork were technically miles ahead (as you'd expect from a full-time set up) but this result reflects the beauty of the cup competition.

stop bein so pessimistic and just enjoy the win

Real ale Madrid
28/05/2006, 11:09 AM
Congrats on yere win again lads.

Just one general question about the crowd. Ye had the league champions in the tie of the 2nd round at home in the cup and ye could only manage 800 at the game. Any ideas why the crowds are so small? Not trying to start a row now - just a genuine question. Pity cos its a great ground.

town73
28/05/2006, 11:37 AM
TV coverage. Cup always brought out the biggest crowds of the season, no matter how we were doing in the league. But with the game on TG4, people opted to stay home. It affected the Cork crowd too. I've seen more Cork fans at a league match in Flancare.

Wiseguy
29/05/2006, 8:45 AM
It was a great win but a poor enough performance.Danny o' Connor was the hero but he gave the ball away to much and playing in that position just dosen't suit him.Alan Murphy had a nightmare again and really shouldn't be starting matches.The same goes for Gary Cronin.Our midfield didn't perform and most of them really didn't know what they were suppose to be doing.
It was a poor Cork performance and i don't think that they deserved anything from the game.I can't really see what rico has to whinge about.It was a stonewall peno and if Devine hadn't brought down Mooney then he more than likely would've scored.I just think that Rico is a sore loser and yet again he has proved what a pr1ck he is.Hopefully this result can get our season started.

Roo69
29/05/2006, 8:50 AM
Delighted ! Super result. Cork's season falling apart already at this stage....

Martinho II
29/05/2006, 9:14 AM
cracking result for us. so proud for the lads. didnt think we had a chance when cork went 1-0 up but we showed some much needed character. i can sense a chant comin on for karate kid....

KK77
29/05/2006, 9:58 AM
Delighted ! Super result. Cork's season falling apart already at this stage....

And Bray's is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! well it never got started it to fall apart.

Sonic
29/05/2006, 11:33 AM
Anyone know when the draw for the last 16 is?

RockofGibraltar
31/05/2006, 1:18 PM
dunno but it'll be a while yet becos the 3rd round isnt being played until week ending 27th August. Killester United at home would be nice!

Dillo
01/06/2006, 4:22 PM
I thought the pr!ck was considering leaving the job! :rolleyes:

http://www.elevenaside.com/premier/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=22785

micls
01/06/2006, 5:58 PM
I thought the pr!ck was considering leaving the job! :rolleyes:

http://www.elevenaside.com/premier/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=22785

key word there is considering ;)

Fair play lads. Ye played well enough and we certainly didn't do enough to win. Great strike in the end. Good luck in the cup