PDA

View Full Version : Ed Joyce

WeAreRovers
26/05/2006, 4:54 PM
Came across this while trawling t'internet bored out of my tiny mind.

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/smalltalk/story/0,,1782922,00.html

KOH

Dodge
26/05/2006, 4:57 PM
Strange one isn't it. Understand why he done it. Still prefer he didn't.

Roo69
26/05/2006, 5:04 PM
I know he's brother and they all play cricket as well, his sisters play hockey for Ireland. STRANGE family to say the least.....

Jerry The Saint
26/05/2006, 5:41 PM
Good luck to him I say, hope he gets a full call-up. No-one slags off Brian O'Driscoll and the rest for playing for the British andirish Lions.

Dodge
26/05/2006, 6:04 PM
Its totally different Jerry (as you well now). I have even less problem with Carney aplaying for RL side (which BTW his club have stopped this week!)

CollegeTillIDie
26/05/2006, 8:59 PM
If Ireland play England at the next World Cup in 2007( I think they might be not sure) You could have Ed ( England ) lining out against his own brother!

Dodge
27/05/2006, 2:19 AM
If Ireland play England at the next World Cup in 2007( I think they might be not sure) You could have Ed ( England ) lining out against his own brother!
Not in the same group but if we qualify for 2nd phase, who knows?

gustavo
27/05/2006, 2:28 AM
How do the Cricket rules work so that he is eligible to play for England ? I know they are a Test side and we arent But why would one want to play for a different nation just from a career point of view?

Real ale Madrid
27/05/2006, 9:48 AM
How do the Cricket rules work so that he is eligible to play for England ? I know they are a Test side and we arent But why would one want to play for a different nation just from a career point of view?

Just like you said England are a test nation - and test cricket is the best form of cricket and those lads are the ones that get the most money. He qualifies on some residency rule aFAIK.

gustavo
27/05/2006, 10:14 AM
Yeah but still tthough cant imagine i would want to represent England just cos they could offer me a higher level of competition

Real ale Madrid
27/05/2006, 10:26 AM
Yeah but still tthough cant imagine i would want to represent England just cos they could offer me a higher level of competition

Ah i dont think its an England / Ireland thing - he just needs to maximise his earnings as a professional cricketer. I mean if someone offers you a better paid job - you take it!

gustavo
27/05/2006, 10:37 AM
Cant argue with that i suppose national pride goes out the window when big wads of cash are thrown before you;)

Real ale Madrid
27/05/2006, 11:13 AM
Cant argue with that i suppose national pride goes out the window when big wads of cash are thrown before you;)

He wants to play test cricket - how un-patriotic of him. I can see it in the front page of tomorrow's Independant - as irish cricket is a huge source of national pride to us all. :D

Dodge
27/05/2006, 12:35 PM
How do the Cricket rules work so that he is eligible to play for England ?
Its a nationality thing. He's been living in England for 5 years so is eligibl;e for a British passport and therefore eligible to play for England

Dodge
27/05/2006, 2:38 PM
No, its definitely a passport issue. Just that the rugby and cricket sides use them fairly often

pete
27/05/2006, 8:45 PM
No, its definitely a passport issue. Just that the rugby and cricket sides use them fairly often

England rugby have a New Zealander playing fullback for them tomorrow under the residency rule.

Dodge
27/05/2006, 10:27 PM
Proving my point...

$Leon$
28/05/2006, 9:54 PM
In alot of ways this is the reverse of what happened with the Irish football team in the past.Where english born players with no real connection to Ireland find out they've got an Irish granny and decide to play for us. They play for us because in alot of cases they have a better chance of an international career with Ireland rather than england.

deadman
29/05/2006, 12:51 AM
either way, Ed was batting for the right side today.

hit 95 as Middlesex destroyed Ireland in the C&G

he even bowled a few overs to his bro .... weird