PDA

View Full Version : Dark Horse of the World Cup

DmanDmythDledge
26/05/2006, 3:11 PM
I think it's either going to be Ivory Coast or Australia.

Ivory Coast have a number of good players that play in Europe. Same with Australia, plus they have Hiddink in charge as well.

I think there's a good chance of the Aussies making the QF but Ivory Coast might have their work cut out in the group stages, then possible tie against Portugal. Unlucky that they got such a difficult draw.

wws
26/05/2006, 3:45 PM
USA and Mexico might do something that will suprise us europeanos

superfrank
26/05/2006, 3:50 PM
I don't think Mexico would be a real dark horse.

Roo69
26/05/2006, 4:42 PM
There not really a darkhorse but nobody is giving them a chance in hell. I reckon Germany could do quite well.

beautifulrock
26/05/2006, 8:39 PM
what about Tunisa, I have a feeling they could do well. African Cup finalists, with a good defence.

CollegeTillIDie
26/05/2006, 8:52 PM
Serbia and Montenegro ( about to be defunct) will, if they qualify from the group of death, go a long way.
Best defence in Europe on current form, cracking midfield, and in Nikola Zigic,potentially the surprise packet up front 6foot 7 inches of class act. And the Montenegrins might as well enjoy this one because it's the first and last time they will be represented( in billing terms) at the World Cup.

brine3
27/05/2006, 8:17 AM
Ukraine. Came top in a really difficult qualification group. Solid defence, Rotan in midfield, Sheva and Rebrov up front. Could be this year's Bulgaria '94.

gustavo
27/05/2006, 10:34 AM
Again not really a dark horse but Portugal have all the players to win it . Its gonna be a great World Cup its very open!

eirebhoy
27/05/2006, 12:16 PM
Japan for me.

Risteard
27/05/2006, 3:21 PM
Jayz lads, these horses are very dark.
Assuming Brazil, Argentina, Italy, Germany, England and France are the bright horses.
How about Spain?

Terry
27/05/2006, 3:24 PM
what about Tunisa, I have a feeling they could do well. African Cup finalists, with a good defence.
doubt it since they didnt make it to the finals !!;)

Baker
27/05/2006, 3:47 PM
doubt it since they didnt make it to the finals !!;)

They are in Group H with Saudi Arabia, Spain and Ukraine.

Terry
27/05/2006, 4:13 PM
my apologies, I was full sure that there was only 3 african teams in it :(

Armando
27/05/2006, 7:24 PM
my apologies, I was full sure that there was only 3 african teams in it :(

There's 5 - Tunisia, Ivory Coast, Togo, Angola and Ghana.
You're having a 'mare today!!

Armando
27/05/2006, 7:29 PM
The Czechs are 33-1 to win the World Cup. If they get out of the Group of death with Italy, USA and Ghana those odds will come tumbling down.
I don't believe they'll win it, with those odds I couldn't resist putting a tenner on them.

DmanDmythDledge
27/05/2006, 11:32 PM
If they get out of the Group of death with Italy, USA and Ghana...
The group of death is clearly Argentina, Holland, Serbia & Montenegro and Ivory Coast. There can't be any arguments about that.

Flea
29/05/2006, 2:44 AM
I think it's either going to be Ivory Coast or Australia.

Ivory Coast have a number of good players that play in Europe. Same with Australia, plus they have Hiddink in charge as well.

I think there's a good chance of the Aussies making the QF but Ivory Coast might have their work cut out in the group stages, then possible tie against Portugal. Unlucky that they got such a difficult draw.

You may prove me completely wrong with this one, but I'd give the Ivory Coast a pass for the dark horses tag. One of the most disorganised teams Ive seen in qualifciation.Yes they have Kalou, Eboue, and Drogba, but a tough group, overreliance on Drogba and bad service from midfield should hamper progression. Everyone will know Drogba's capabilites while Kalou has great pace yet not great control. In the qualifying stages the defence and keeper were no strangers to suicidal defending through unforced errors. I dont know I could have this one all wrong but I wasnt impressesed.

My dark horses as stated already, Mexico (easy group and impressed by them last year) or Serbia( could see off an inexperienced Dutch team from the group of death if they perform well).

Coltron
29/05/2006, 7:26 AM
Maybe a year ago Mexico were the dark horse but with their strong preformance in the Confed and there placment as a top seed means they aren't really a true dark horse. I agree with what's been said regarding some fans of European sides maybe being surprised by them but there are other sides.

I would dismiss Ivory Coast. I don't consider Drogba a very good player and even if he was they would need a lot more to pick up the points to get out of their group.

A side like Croatia could pull off some upsets. They play Brazil in their opening game which they are expected to lose. If they can stay focused and get it together for their next two matches they might get some momentum going.

They did very well in qualifing, both in defence and attack and have to quality to shock Brazil and some others. Hard to find a "star" name, which can also be a good thing. Knowledgable coach by all accounts and well supported. They did also beat Argentina earlier in a friendly so they should fancy there chances of giving Brazil a game.

A side point - if they did beat Brazil (possible in theory atleast), then Brazil would be under pressure to beat Australia. Hiddink is no miracle worker but he is possibly one of the best coaches in the game today and will have his side ready to test them, that I have little doubt. If they did draw this next match it's concievable that the reigning champions could be on the first plane home (same as England). Big tournaments can brutally expose weaknesses in the extreme, as France and Argentina can attest from Japan/Korea. Just some food for thought even in such a situation they would probably qualify on goal scored.

NeilMcD
29/05/2006, 9:27 AM
Ukraine. First ever time to qualify and I think they will top their group and then get to the quarter finals.

gustavo
29/05/2006, 10:29 AM
Can they do it without Shevchenko though if he misses any games?

shakermaker1982
29/05/2006, 3:07 PM
If Shevvy is missing then I think Ukraine will struggle. But if he is fit I could see them reaching the Q Finals no bother.

Serbia is a good shout, the group stage is a nightmare for them but their defence is solid and doesn't leak many goals. I can see Holland getting frustrated when they do meet and getting countered.

The Stars
29/05/2006, 9:53 PM
Everyteam has a chance of winning in reality but you have to ask yourself who would you put your hand in your pocket and back.

I think Spain at 14-1 are a great bet.

Also,Holland have an excellent young squad and with Van Nistilrooy I reckon they have a good chance.Van Basten knows what he's about.The Dutch usaully have a bust up or arguement prior to big tournaments.Van Basten knows of this and picked a young squad,with a lot of players who have points to prove and will be unknown by most opponents.They are more like a club team and their egos wont get in the way of team spirt,unlike teams such as Italy.

Olander
31/05/2006, 11:59 AM
Czech Republic or Japan

The Stars
31/05/2006, 12:48 PM
The Czechs have an aging team and this world cup came a year too late for them.

gspain
01/06/2006, 3:32 PM
The Czechs have an aging team and this world cup came a year too late for them.

Whatever about the World Cup I hope you are right come October. Somehow I have my doubts though. Still a class act.