PDA

View Full Version : Farmer's Field?

Redzer
25/05/2006, 10:11 AM
From an article in the "Sligo Champion" newspaper.

Showgrounds pitch ‘among the best in the league’

Following recent criticism levelled by Shelbourne against the Showgrounds pitch, a senior official in the eircom league has maintained that Rovers training facilities were “the best in the league” and that the pitch was “among the top six in the Premier League.”
John Byrne, Acting Manager of the eircom league, made his comments following a recent visit to the Showgrounds, and he commended the club for its progressive and ambitious development programme.

“Sligo Rovers published their development programme about five years ago, and I am delighted to see that most of the objectives set out in that document have been delivered, and the remaining elements of their programme are well under way. “Indeed, the Showgrounds development programme could be a model for other clubs to follow, as Rovers have delivered these major projects within budget to a very high standard.

“Value for money is always a major consideration for the league and the Department of Sport in promoting ground developments around the country. Sligo Rovers have provided a new western stand and a state of the art all weather pitch, and the construction of a new boundary wall will greatly enhance the appearance of the ground.

“In short, the Showgrounds is rapidly being transformed into one of the best grounds in the country and this work is a credit to all concerned,” he added. These views were endorsed by former FAI President Pat Quigley, who inspected the ground recently in his capacity as official FAI Observer for the League Cup game v Finn Harps.

He was highly complimentary of the playing area and the general ground facilities. The match officials for that game remarked that their experience was that grounds all over the country are suffering the affects of the poor spring growth, but relative to other pitches they visited, they felt that the Showgrounds pitch would merit 8 out of 10 in terms of the quality of the surface.

On 10th May 2006 the club was formally notified by Bob Breen, FAI Club Licensing Manager, that Sligo Rovers ‘has no outstanding issues’ in terms of club licensing and complimented the ‘dedication and hard work’ of the club in ensuring the various criteria were met.

Drogman.
25/05/2006, 12:09 PM
BullSh*t. We played up there a couple of weeks ago and the pitch didn't look well at all. Fair enough it had grass on it and wasn't muddy but it was just a nicely cut field. The pitch was yellow for gods sake!

Ask anyone about Utd Park last Friday night, now that's what a football pitch should look like ;)

TonyD
25/05/2006, 12:13 PM
Have to echo Drogmans view. When Pats played there I thought it was one of the worst pitches I've seen in a good while. Sligo's trainging facilities may indeed be top class, their pitch sure ain't.

iceman
25/05/2006, 12:13 PM
Ask anyone about Utd Park last Friday night, now that's what a football pitch should look like ;)

Totally agree Drogman , you could play snooker on the pitch at United Park at the moment its that good.

SeanDrog
25/05/2006, 12:21 PM
went over to the sideline near the end of the match to see how the pitch held up given all the rain and the only word was fantatsic- it is some surface at the moment - a snooker table of a surface. The grounds people in Utd Park are doing a fantastic job - some might slag off our ageing ground but no one can question the quality of the pitch.

monkey magic
25/05/2006, 12:35 PM
went over to the sideline near the end of the match to see how the pitch held up given all the rain and the only word was fantatsic- it is some surface at the moment - a snooker table of a surface. The grounds people in Utd Park are doing a fantastic job - some might slag off our ageing ground but no one can question the quality of the pitch.

the highbury of el football..:rolleyes: :D

nephin
25/05/2006, 2:55 PM
The pitch surface in the showgrouds is very poor. If its among the top six then what state are the pitches below it in the rankings.
No doubt about the training facilities, they are excellent and the development around the groud is good but the pitch surface is very very poor.

bluemovie
25/05/2006, 3:02 PM
United Park was excellent on Friday last. Our boys could have done with some divots and puddles to make them feel at home. They simply weren't used to playing on a flat surface. Typical underhand tactics from Drogheda trying to gain an advantage.:mad: :D

Rory H
25/05/2006, 4:50 PM
BullSh*t. We played up there a couple of weeks ago and the pitch didn't look well at all. Fair enough it had grass on it and wasn't muddy but it was just a nicely cut field. The pitch was yellow for gods sake!

Bullsh1t.......anyone who thinks our pitch is yellow is the green giant

Roverstillidie
25/05/2006, 7:54 PM
here come the sligo kids to defend their bog!!

Red4Eva
25/05/2006, 11:25 PM
although i think our pitch is nowhere near the standard we should be striving for i think fenlon was a f*ckin g*mp for sayin what he did. shels played long balls for 70 mins and got nowhere against us. then they brought on alan moore&started to play football and gave us a bit of a kicking for last 20 mins. he was just makin excuses for his side playin sh*te and it had nothin to do with the pitch. our pitch has been crappy since the new stand was built but has improved bit by bit since then&the drainage is as good as anywhere else i'd say: it's a long long time since we had a game called off whereas tolka had one called off last wk

SeanDrog
26/05/2006, 6:51 AM
I haven't seen the Sligo pitch but I did think it a bit rich Felon slagging it off considering how poor Tolka generally is, there always seems to be a bald patch somewhere on it (is it the water table effecting it?) and is it me or is there a slope on it?

The Stars
26/05/2006, 9:39 AM
Pitch is getting better over the past few years and I think the last time a game was called off because of it was 4 years ago.

Jeebus
26/05/2006, 12:43 PM
here come the sligo kids to defend their bog!!

At least we own our 'bog'.:)

red bellied
26/05/2006, 12:56 PM
At least we own our 'bog'.:)

Was waiting for someone to reply with that!

Anto McC
26/05/2006, 7:51 PM
The pitch is in a state,even Alan Kelly could see that!

sligoman
27/05/2006, 11:03 AM
you could play snooker on the pitch at United Park at the moment its that good.What, it's full of pockets?:confused: :p.

The Stars
27/05/2006, 11:13 AM
as jose mourinho says....Is it better to have a car that looks nice but doesnt get you to work everyday or a car that may not look as nice but gets you to work everyday?apply that theory to eircom league pitches and you can then see how we can defend our pitch.

Anto McC
27/05/2006, 3:28 PM
as jose mourinho says....

The bit of your post i've quoted is the only bit of your post i've read and i know i dont need to read anymore!!

Jose says a lot of things and if he said it then i already know it's tripe!!!

The Stars
27/05/2006, 8:53 PM
well if you would care to read the rest of it it is a good point Jose makes.

CollegeTillIDie
29/05/2006, 7:34 AM
Totally agree Drogman , you could play snooker on the pitch at United Park at the moment its that good.
Are the flagpole holes big enough to take snooker balls?:eek: