PDA

View Full Version : £8.5m bid accepted for Andy Johnson

eirebhoy
24/05/2006, 2:57 PM
..from Wigan. I'm sure Bolton will match that too. He'd be a great buy. He'd be definitely wortht he money with the amount of goals he'll score. He's extremely underrated imo.

Roo69
24/05/2006, 3:14 PM
Wigan would want to concentrate on the middle of the park and defence 1st before buying strikers i think, thats were they lacked towards the end of the season. I can't see them having much more transfer money to spend if that bid go through....

DmanDmythDledge
24/05/2006, 3:15 PM
Well I think they had £25million last summer. Don't know how much of that they spent plus maybe a bit more this summer. Sure 2 or 3 more players could be bought.

Roo69
24/05/2006, 3:18 PM
They have been talking to Quinten Fortune as well, free transfer and would be an excellent signing for them but think he said he would prefer a move to Man City.

drinkfeckarse
24/05/2006, 3:35 PM
..from Wigan. I'm sure Bolton will match that too. He'd be a great buy. He'd be definitely wortht he money with the amount of goals he'll score. He's extremely underrated imo.

I'm one of the one's who doesn't rate him especially at that price. I saw him 3 or 4 times this season, admittedly not in the flesh but I just don't think he's top class at all.

20 or so goals in the Premiership was a good return but it could easily have been Kevin Phillips syndrome (one season wonder) and about 40% of those were penalties. 15 in the Championship this season doesn't warrant an £8.5m transfer fee to me.

I'd be shocked if Bolton matched that considering they normally look for quality Bosmans and pay them good wages instead of forking out big transfer fees. I can't remember the last decent fee they paid at all!!

KK77
24/05/2006, 3:40 PM
Wigan would want to concentrate on the middle of the park and defence 1st before buying strikers i think, thats were they lacked towards the end of the season. I can't see them having much more transfer money to spend if that bid go through....

Not being smart but Wigan will have more money to spend if they buy Johnson that i can promise you!

Junior
24/05/2006, 4:50 PM
And they'll need to seeing as they've sold their best midfielder (no not Kav!) but Bullard, to Fulham and one of their better defenders, Chimbonda, looks like he's could be off to (though they do want £6m for him) - Perhaps their spending the money before its in the bank!!!!

eirebhoy
25/05/2006, 8:45 AM
20 or so goals in the Premiership was a good return but it could easily have been Kevin Phillips syndrome (one season wonder) and about 40% of those were penalties. 15 in the Championship this season doesn't warrant an £8.5m transfer fee to me.
That's one of the reason he doesn't get the credit he deserves but he made all but 2 of those peno's himself. In 03/04 he scored 28 goals (28 in the championship, 4 in the cup). Very few premiership players would reach that figure in the championship and the fact that he followed it up with 21 in the premiership says it all. He missed the best part of 3 months this season and still scored 15 in the league. I was suprised to see that figure as he seemed injured more often than not this season.

That's 3 seasons now that he's been scoring non-stop. Spurs paid £7.5m for Defoe and nobody batted an eyelid. In my opinion Jonhson is a better player than Defoe and will get you more goals.

Junior
25/05/2006, 9:39 AM
That's one of the reason he doesn't get the credit he deserves but he made all but 2 of those peno's himself.

I don't doubt that you are correct eirebhoy - but how in gods name do you know that stat? I've always found you're statisctical knowledge very informative and on the ball - but with this one you're reaching a new limit!!

eirebhoy
25/05/2006, 10:26 AM
I don't doubt that you are correct eirebhoy - but how in gods name do you know that stat? I've always found you're statisctical knowledge very informative and on the ball - but with this one you're reaching a new limit!!
:D I just had that figure in my head, I was slightly wrong:

"Despite Palace's relegation to the Championship, Johnson was the highest scoring English player with 21 goals in the season. Although Johnson's detractors note that 11 of these came from penalty kicks rather than open play (a record for the Premiership), he himself won 7 of the penalties. Nevertheless, this is still an impressive tally for a player, in their first season of Premiership football."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Johnson

I actually think that's wrong, I was nearly certain he won all but 2 of the peno's himself. He has a bit of a reputation for it: :)
http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Football/Pix/gallery/2005/05/10/ACIDANDY22.jpg

pete
25/05/2006, 11:27 AM
For "won" substitute dived.

Johnson not worth 13 million euro.

Strange that Wigan can't hold on to existing players & spending big on new players.

anto1208
25/05/2006, 12:28 PM
8.5 is too much for a player trapped in the championship , i hope everton dont match the bid as i think the money could be well better spent , id much prefere a move for either lesscott or huth for defence and then get in some one from abroad benni mccarthey for example .

John83
25/05/2006, 12:34 PM
I'd be shocked if Bolton matched that considering they normally look for quality Bosmans and pay them good wages instead of forking out big transfer fees. I can't remember the last decent fee they paid at all!!
They had a bid of £8m turned down a few days ago. It's odd to see them spending big alright.

I don't think he's underrated at 8.5m at all either. He's an expensive gamble for clubs of that stature. I think he won't improve Wigan substantially at all.

anto1208
25/05/2006, 12:37 PM
They had a bid of £8m turned down a few days ago. It's odd to see them spending big alright.

I don't think he's underrated at 8.5m at all either. He's an expensive gamble for clubs of that stature. I think he won't improve Wigan substantially at all.

i think if you have 50 mill to spend there is no gamble he is proven , he will score goals there is no doubt about that i just feel if you only have 10 mill to spend he isnt worth blowing your kitty on him .

John83
25/05/2006, 12:42 PM
i think if you have 50 mill to spend there is no gamble he is proven , he will score goals there is no doubt about that i just feel if you only have 10 mill to spend he isnt worth blowing your kitty on him .
Sure, but what does Wigan have though?

anto1208
25/05/2006, 12:47 PM
i guess about 20 mill .but as with all prem sides ( that stay up ) they will have about 100 mill in coming in over the next 3 years from tv rights/prize money.

the team that finishes 10 th in the prem next season will get more than a team would for winning the champs league !!

eirebhoy
25/05/2006, 3:36 PM
I don't think he's underrated at 8.5m at all either.
The fact that very few people seem to rate him highly leads me to believe he's underrated. :)

To answer your other question. I'd say they'd have about £30m to spend if the manager really needed it. They had £20-25m last summer and had bids accepted for Owen and Parker. They just couldn't attract any players.

eirebhoy
25/05/2006, 3:49 PM
As expected, Bolton have matched Wigan's bid.

DmanDmythDledge
25/05/2006, 8:18 PM
I think he won't improve Wigan substantially at all.
Disagree with you there. He's capable of scoring 20 goals in the Premiership again. Camara got 12 goals last season, Roberts 8. The extra goals will be the difference between winning and losing.

John83
25/05/2006, 8:25 PM
Disagree with you there. He's capable of scoring 20 goals in the Premiership again. Camara got 12 goals last season, Roberts 8. The extra goals will be the difference between winning and losing. That's the point under debate really. He wouldn't be the first player to score twenty one season before sinking back to his level. Very few players score that many, and I really doubt he will.

DmanDmythDledge
25/05/2006, 8:35 PM
It's my opinion that he won't be a one season wonder. He can finish well, has strength and can run a bit. 28 goals in the Championship a few years ago and 15 this season while being injured for a while.

eirebhoy
25/05/2006, 9:06 PM
That's the point under debate really. He wouldn't be the first player to score twenty one season before sinking back to his level. Very few players score that many, and I really doubt he will.
Very few players could score 28 goals in the championship. It also isn't easy to score 15 goals after spending September, October and November out injured. He's been scoring regularly for 3 seasons now (since he joined Palace). I can't see him failing to hit 15 goals next season if he stays injury free. I think the likes of Bolton, Everton and Wigan would have had him well scouted before putting big bids in.

drinkfeckarse
26/05/2006, 7:55 AM
I think the likes of Bolton, Everton and Wigan would have had him well scouted before putting big bids in.

Yes but it's significent that the big boys haven't bid, you know yourself that they'd have done their homework too.

eirebhoy
26/05/2006, 8:06 AM
Yes but it's significent that the big boys haven't bid, you know yourself that they'd have done their homework too.
tbf, you could say the same about most players. I don't think Arsenal, Man U or Chelsea would be really interested in Robbie Keane either. Liverpool have been linked with Johnson for a while and Benitez seems to rate him but maybe he feels he can get a better bargain.

FarBeag
26/05/2006, 10:28 PM
Signed for Everton. good buy in my opinion

anto1208
26/05/2006, 11:41 PM
Palace have accepted an offer of 8.5mill from Everton ,Johnson is due in merseyside tomorrow , rumour has it personal terms have allready been agreed ( at his best mate beatties wedding last week ) but wigan are putting together a new deal to try and temp him .

Dillo
27/05/2006, 1:04 PM
AJ is quality. Great signing. Along with being a great finisher, he has pace to burn and a great work ethic. Top man.

Aberdonian Stu
27/05/2006, 5:25 PM
I think he is over rated but Wigan do seem to have a fair bit of loose change knocking around so I reckon it won't hit them hard.

gustavo
29/05/2006, 12:34 AM
Looks like he's off to Everton now . Dunno how well Beattie and him would work together

anto1208
29/05/2006, 10:10 AM
andy johnson will join Everton tommorow at £15,000 a week less than what Wigan are offering taking a 3 year deal at 30,000 per week at Goodison .

johnson:"I find the prospect of playing for one of the biggest names in British football impossible to resistand I am now just hopeful that I can swiftly complete my medical so that I can sign on the dotted line and commit myself to the club."

anto1208
29/05/2006, 3:56 PM
now on for Huth for 5.5 mill .

drinkfeckarse
30/05/2006, 8:39 AM
QUOTE=anto1208]
johnson:"I find the prospect of playing for one of the biggest names in British football impossible to resistand I am now just hopeful that I can swiftly complete my medical so that I can sign on the dotted line and commit myself to the club."[/QUOTE]

Since when did he sign for Liverpool...:confused: ;)