PDA

View Full Version : An (EL) Academy in Brasil?

thejollyrodger
22/05/2006, 9:12 PM
How come the clubs didnt get together and get all their foreign players from Brasil ??? They are free transfer as long as you can provide the backup staff to set up an academy (local brasilans) with basic footballing facilities and of course food.

They have all the technical ability you can shake a stick at and its the cheaper option than trying to get players from England.

pól-dcfc
22/05/2006, 10:12 PM
3 Foriegn players rule for a start.

The facilities don't set themselves up for nothing either. It would require some degree of investment.

Surely the money would be better spent trying to keep good Irish players in Ireland. If we had players playing here up until they are 21 (which they basically force players to do in Brazil btw) the league and national team would progress faster than cheap Brazilian imports.

LeixlipRed
22/05/2006, 10:51 PM
holy god almighty are you for real? hundreds of things wrong with domestic football and decades away from fixing them and you want us to try set up an EL academy in Brazil?? we dont even have an academy in this bloody country!! why dont you and Don Givens get together over lunch and discuss this topic under the title " the death of irish football "

Roverstillidie
22/05/2006, 11:41 PM
from a fan of the club that blocked a hooligan database, and he wants them to get together to organise something like this?:D

a bit of ambition is one thing, but surely an acadamey in dublin would be ahead of rio on the list of priorities?

TheOwl
23/05/2006, 11:41 AM
Also would we be able to get work permits for random Brazilians?

pól-dcfc
23/05/2006, 11:57 AM
Defs not. Sure Manchester United have been told if they sign Kerlon (already capped at underage levels) he won't get a WP. Think the rules are similar if not identical in Ireland.

dcfcsteve
23/05/2006, 11:59 AM
Ignoring the ludicrous nature of the suggestion for a moment, I also love it's naivety. I can imagine the train of thought went something like this :

- "Who's good at playing football in the world"
- "The Brazilians"
- "OK - we'll let's open an Irish football academy in Brazil, and we'll hoover-up all the new Peles and Ronaldinho's"
- "Brilliant !!"

The number of teams who have made the fatal error of signing a Brazilian largely or solely on the basis that that must make them a good footballer is legion.

The Brazilian's are bloody good at football, and do tend to constantly have individuals who play in a more skillful and colouful way than most others - but that's not necessarily down to some mystical ingredient in the Brazilian water, climate or diet.

Simple fact is that Brazil is by-far the biggest football-mad country in the world. It has a population of 186m people - over 60% of whom are under the age of 30 - and football is by far and away the one thing that pretty much every male kid is into. You simply cannot genuinely say that about the other big countries in the world : USA, China, Indonesia, India, Russia. Brazil is the 5th most populous country, and I reckon you have to go all the way down the list to the 10th most populous to find the next soccer-mad nation (Mexico).

So not every Brazilian will automatically be a footballing genius, and the fact that so many are is as much to do with their massive population as it is anything else. So opening an acedmy there would be as naive as it is ludicrous for a country thousands of miles away with no academy of it's own.

Danny
23/05/2006, 12:36 PM
Pats tried a link up with a 2nd divsion club in Brazil (Rio Brava or something) a few years back. We got 2 players out of it, neither of them broke into the 1st team tho and nothing has been said of it since....

Dodge
23/05/2006, 1:25 PM
Defs not. Sure Manchester United have been told if they sign Kerlon (already capped at underage levels) he won't get a WP. Think the rules are similar if not identical in Ireland.
Totally different WP rules for Ireland. Impossible not to get one for a sportsman TBH

Luiz played one league danny. And was MOTM v Bohs...

lefty
23/05/2006, 4:19 PM
Would it not be better for teams to have a look at some of the foreigners that are here already. There must be some decent footballers from all the people that are here

thejollyrodger
23/05/2006, 8:44 PM
All the spanish clubs seem to have 1 brasilian on their team. You only have to go to nikefootball.com and see all the kids dying to play football in Europe. The facilities are just an old pitch and a few local trainers.

dcfcsteve
24/05/2006, 12:14 AM
The facilities are just an old pitch and a few local trainers.

Is that a description of the facilities in Ireland or in Brazil....?:eek:

All the spanish clubs seem to have 1 brasilian on their team. You only have to go to nikefootball.com and see all the kids dying to play football in Europe.

So what if Brazilian kids all want to play football in Europe. I'm sure African and Asian kids do to. That doesn't make them any good, or make your proposal any more viable. This is nothing more than the naive sort of thought that people have but tend to reject instantly and keep to themselves once their brain kicks-in.

Jerry The Saint
24/05/2006, 9:23 AM
All the spanish clubs seem to have 1 brasilian on their team. You only have to go to nikefootball.com and see all the kids dying to play football in Europe. The facilities are just an old pitch and a few local trainers.

You've convinced me. Although, there's no point doing things by half - to really make this work we may also need to setup FAI-funded academies in Amsterdam, Ibiza and Las Vegas. It'll be tough work but because I care about Irish football so damn much, I volunteer to use the first installment grant to assess the viability of all four destinations.

Shimokita
24/05/2006, 10:32 AM
How many players from the FÁS/FAI training programme are now with eL clubs? I know a few of them have played for the Ireland underage teams.

garykelly
24/05/2006, 11:08 AM
why do people insist on 'insta-fix' solutions for the EL. the whole EL from top to bottom needs revamping and structures put in place. It's a long and winding debate, but academies in brazil ?? we need academies here first which would only be a part of a major overhaul needed to develop and keep young players in the country.

monkey magic
24/05/2006, 1:18 PM
an irish solution to an irish problem my friends, give that man a banana and an office in merrion square, cos we need more of that thinking in the FAI....

do ya know ya almost had me goin there for a minute, i actually took that post seriously for a couple of seconds! if that was the intention, good work!

if yer being serious, id say your idea is about as useful as a **** flavoured lollipop.. and thats giving it some credit;)

Jerry The Saint
26/05/2006, 2:50 PM
How come the clubs didnt get together and get all their foreign players from Brasil ??? They are free transfer as long as you can provide the backup staff to set up an academy (local brasilans) with basic footballing facilities and of course food.

They have all the technical ability you can shake a stick at and its the cheaper option than trying to get players from England.

Who knew that this wouldn't be the most nonsensical suggestion to improve the league this week:confused: :)

A face
26/05/2006, 8:14 PM
The fact that this thread exists spells out the need for an academy here. Its scary actually.

thejollyrodger
26/05/2006, 8:41 PM
The fact of the matter is that the kids in brasil are better footballers than anywhere

Just check out the archives on http://nikefootball.nike.com/nikefootball/siteshell/index.jsp

Shels could well do with a few 1/2 as good ronaldinhos for bargin prices.

A face
27/05/2006, 12:29 AM
Just for the record, jollyrodger ... that was not a dig at you at all, just the fact there is no academy on the island, given the expectation of the national team. I'd also mention the attitude of the FAI, by that i mean the expectation/standards they set while relying on English clubs to develop players instead of themselves.

The fact of the matter is that the kids in brasil are better footballers than anywhere

ARe kids in Ireland not able to do the same if they were trained ??

Just check out the archives on http://nikefootball.nike.com/nikefootball/siteshell/index.jsp

Not being funny but thats an advert, they wont show you bad stuff ..... the power of advertising i suppose.

We all could .... but i'd prefer a player from Cork to play with City over a Brazilian to be honest.

thejollyrodger
27/05/2006, 10:14 AM
Maybe an academy is a bad choice of words. But the league could have some kind of scouts down there to pick some of the best players up and bring them to our academy. Maybe it will rub off on some of the players here.

But the fact of the matter is that buying players out of England, France and most western leagues is so expensive that we should look elsewhere.

A face
27/05/2006, 6:49 PM
Maybe an academy is a bad choice of words. But the league could have some kind of scouts down there to pick some of the best players up and bring them to our academy. Maybe it will rub off on some of the players here.

Jolly .... why not bring coaches and trainers from Brazil to train Irish lads ?? :(
Not only are Irish players getting a raw deal already with a completely inept setup here, you'd want to pull the rug from underneath them totally and replace them altogether ??

Academy is a perfect choice of words ..... and its exactly what we need.

Sniffer
27/05/2006, 6:56 PM
Jolly .... why not bring coaches and trainers from Brazil to train Irish lads ?? :(
Not only are Irish players getting a raw deal already with a completely inept setup here, you'd want to pull the rug from underneath them totally and replace them altogether ??

Academy is a perfect choice of words ..... and its exactly what we need.
Spot on, no point in needlessly riddling our league with foreign players. We have the raw material, our schoolboy clubs have produced fine footballers over the years, they need the finishing school in England; that's what we need to replicate here in some form. A very broad statement, I acknowledge, but why do we need young Brazilians?

CollegeTillIDie
29/05/2006, 7:44 AM
I have a revolutionary idea. Why not set up an academy for kids in Ireland?
AND hire one or two Brazilian coaches? They already come over for the Samba Soccer thing so..... it would not be outside the realms of possibility that it could be done !

After all the boxing crowd hired Nicolas Cruz ( from Cuba) and we started winning medals at amateur boxing again !

CollegeTillIDie
29/05/2006, 7:54 AM
As regards Brazilian players, you won't get them their season lasts 11 months long. Simlar style players from ex-Yugoslavia are a lot closer to home and clubs there might be willing to loan players to clubs here for the summer months, to get them fit from injury for the Winter seasons over there. Throw in a package that includes , English lessons making the players concerned 26.4% marketable and it could work!

Jerry The Saint
29/05/2006, 9:21 AM

There are plenty of Brazilian people already living in Ireland. Rather than wasting money on sending scouts or setting up academies in Brazil we should be looking to breed the next generation of players ourselves. Some Brazilian footballers have struggled to adapt to the European climate and football culture so, ideally, we should be able to produce players who will combine the natural footballing genius inherent in their Brazilian genes with the Celtic ruggedness necessary for the eircom League.

Quick fixes won't work - we need to take the long-term view on these things.

thejollyrodger
10/07/2006, 7:20 PM
the fact of the matter is that any Eircom League club could send a few people down to brasil and get players for free that are far better than any player that could be bought in Europe. It has to be an option for clubs here.

As for south americans settling into Ireland. Well the ones that are here dont find it that difficult.

pineapple stu
10/07/2006, 7:26 PM
Oh God - not this thread again.

We have clubs going up against the wall every couple of months and you want them to spend a few grand to get people to hop on a plane half-way across the world on the off chance they find someone who could improve the first-team slightly?

Think before you type. For the love of God, think...!

LeixlipRed
10/07/2006, 7:34 PM
Come on, this is jollyy rodger speaking here. He's posts are best taken with a pinch of salt

thejollyrodger
10/07/2006, 8:07 PM
I thought it was the best idea on this board in a very long time. Rico is on record as saying he cant afford players in UK or mainland Europe. he said he had to look further afield.

pineapple stu
10/07/2006, 8:08 PM
Pass the salt cellar, LeixlipRed. Thanks.

A face
10/07/2006, 9:12 PM
I thought it was the best idea on this board in a very long time. Rico is on record as saying he cant afford players in UK or mainland Europe. he said he had to look further afield.

Still doesn't rule out why we shouldn't develop our own players here.