PDA

View Full Version : Germans through to final!

pete
25/06/2002, 2:41 PM
Only saw the 2nd half myself but looked like Koreans not so handy when don't have the use of a 12th man. ;)

From what I saw germany good enough value for their win. Ballack did well to prevent probable goal at his own end knowing almost certainly get yellow to rule him out of the final & then slotted Neuvilles great cross for the winner.

Pablo
25/06/2002, 2:46 PM
If there is any god up there at all he wont let them win. They have bored their way to the final!

Imagine how tense a Germany/Turkey final would be, with so many millions(6?) of Turks living in Germany

Neil
25/06/2002, 2:47 PM
Germany probably deserved it alright.

BUT....

1-0 v Paraguay
1-0 v USA
1-0 v Korea

Put your money on another 1-0 v Brazil!

MikeW
25/06/2002, 3:02 PM
What are the chances that Turkey will beat Brazil and the Germans will then beat the Turks? That'll mean the Germans would have beaten Paraguay, USA, Korea and Turkey in order to win the thing. No disrespect to any of those teams, but no World Cup winner would've ever faced such a weak line-up as that! In fact we'd have probably been the closest thing to an "established" power that they'd have faced in the tournament! (Cameroon are too unpredictable to count as "established").

Neil
25/06/2002, 3:11 PM
Originally posted by MikeW
we'd have probably been the closest thing to an "established" power that they'd have faced
And Robbie Keane would have been the only player to score against them...

patsh
25/06/2002, 3:27 PM
What are the chances that Turkey will beat Brazil and the Germans will then beat the Turks? That'll mean the Germans would have beaten Paraguay, USA, Korea and Turkey in order to win the thing. No disrespect to any of those teams, but no World Cup winner would've ever faced such a weak line-up as that! In fact we'd have probably been the closest thing to an "established" power that they'd have faced in the tournament! (Cameroon are too unpredictable to count as "established").

And Robbie Keane would have been the only player to score against them...

So is it so hard to think that Ireland could have won the WC???
We have really missed a great chance here, and McCarthy has to take the major share of the blame. I think McCarthy never thought for a second we could go to the semi's or the final.
Outside of the RK business, no proper practice for penalties, even though it is a fact that in finals tournaments, 20% of all knockout games are decided this way.
"Garbage" is McCarthy's description of practising for penalties.
Leaving out Finnan in the opening game.
Sticking with Ian Harte even though he had to substitute him every game.
It now seems likely that he did not realise that Spain had only 10 men in extra time. (as reported in the Sunday Tribue and by Liam Brady)
Not takin charge of the penalty shoot-out and claiming shoot-outs "are a lottery".
I really am not trying to start another argument, but we have missed an incredible opportunity here..........:(

Neil
25/06/2002, 3:28 PM
Originally posted by oddboy
I really am not trying to start another argument, but we have missed an incredible chance here..........:(
Good man Eamon!

patsh
25/06/2002, 3:30 PM
Originally posted by Neil

Good man Eamon!
not to say except name-calling, Neil?

Neil
25/06/2002, 3:33 PM
Originally posted by oddboy

not to say except name-calling, Neil?
huh?:confused:

patsh
25/06/2002, 3:37 PM

huh?:confused:
my apologies!
Nothing to say but name-calling,Neil?

pete
25/06/2002, 3:38 PM
No disrespect to any of those teams, but no World Cup winner would've ever faced such a weak line-up as that!

As the old saying goes you can only beat the opposition put out in front of you plus saying the US, Paraguay etc... aren't good teams is just acting the same arrogant way Spain did when almost beaten by irish minnows.

You could say the germans got an easy run but thats just the luck of the draw. I haven't seen too many of their games but you can't be lucky all the way to the final.

btw from what i've seen so far Kahn is probably about to complete the best WC performance by a keeper ever - he should be rechristened Robo keeper. ;) Oh yeah & remember germany never have skillful creative players & did lose 4 first teamers through injury before the tournament. probably just me but i think its too easy to be highly critical of them. :confused:

Neil
25/06/2002, 3:40 PM
Odd,

This thread was about Germany and you still managed to bring your personal attacks on McCarthy into it!

Leave it go boy! It will ruin ya!

patsh
25/06/2002, 3:50 PM
Odd,

This thread was about Germany and you still managed to bring your personal attacks on McCarthy into it!

Leave it go boy! It will ruin ya!
This really is the pot calling the kettle black.
Criticising the manager for decisions he made is not making a personal attack.
You, after all, are the most persistent critic of Liam Murphy on this forum, yet it is understood that these attacks are on his management, not his person.
The thread is about Germany, a team we at least equalled in our match against them, so it is valid to compare their tournament with that of our country.
And finally Neil, yet again you make no attempt to agree/disagree with any of the points raised, you just descend to name -calling and personal comments.

Neil
25/06/2002, 4:04 PM
Yawn!

no proper practice for penalties
They DID practice for penalties. And if you've ever played the game you'd know that you could knock in 10 out of 10 on the training pitch and miss in the real thing.

He was slightly injured (I believe) and Gary Kely was flying in training.

Sticking with Ian Harte even though he had to substitute him every game.
Fair enough.Although there was no obvious left-sided replacement.

It now seems likely that he did not realise that Spain had only 10 men in extra time. (as reported in the Sunday Tribue and by Liam Brady)
Specualtion.

Not takin charge of the penalty shoot-out and claiming shoot-outs "are a lottery".
They ARE a lottery. Ask Zico, Platini, Baggio.... The best players in the World can miss a penalty.

I really am not trying to start another argument
Really?

but we have missed an incredible opportunity here.
So have Spain. So have Italy. So have Paraguay. So have USA. etc etc etc. Get on with it.

Thank God the World Cup is nearly over!
C'mon Cork City!

patsh
25/06/2002, 4:20 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Neil
no proper practice for penalties
They DID practice for penalties. And if you've ever played the game you'd know that you could knock in 10 out of 10 on the training pitch and miss in the real thing.
They practised only in an end-of session, if we feel like it kind of way.
He was slightly injured (I believe) and Gary Kely was flying in training.[/b]
Speculating ?, Neil, and there was nothing wrong with him when he came on

It now seems likely that he did not realise that Spain had only 10 men in extra time. (as reported in the Sunday Tribune and by Liam Brady)
Specualtion.
Also reported in other papers by journalists at the same press conference, as he was questioned about it after the game, and seemed surprised when asked about the ten players.

They ARE a lottery. Ask Zico, Platini, Baggio.... The best players in the World can miss a penalty.
Bullsh*t. Germany have taken 20 penalties in shoot-outs in tournaments since1976 and scored 19.
19 out of 20 is NOT a lottery, you CAN train players to take penalties. Anyone can miss, but you can do a lot to make sure you do not miss

I really am not trying to start another argument
Really?
Yes, really. I was comparing Germany's tournament to our own.

but we have missed an incredible opportunity here.
So have Spain. So have Italy. So have Paraguay. So have USA. etc etc etc. Get on with it.
I am only concerned with Ireland. If you want to carry on as if it all was wonderful and a great success, that is up to you.

Thank God the World Cup is nearly over!
C'mon Cork City!
Yeah you can get on now with calling L. Murphy every name under the sun, criticising his tactics and promoting your conspiracy theories.
Great eh?, everything back to normal.....;)

Neil
25/06/2002, 4:25 PM
you CAN train players to take penalties. Anyone can miss, but you can do a lot to make sure you do not miss

Have you ever taken a penalty in an important competitive game?
Actually, have you ever played football?

patsh
25/06/2002, 4:30 PM
you CAN train players to take penalties. Anyone can miss, but you can do a lot to make sure you do not miss

Have you ever taken a penalty in an important competitive game?
Actually, have you ever played football?
I was not in the Ireland squad, so the question is moot.
When and where have you played in important competitive games?

JC_GUFC
25/06/2002, 4:30 PM
I've just gotta say George.....

In my opinion it's been the worst WC in terms of the strength of the top teams in it.
Germany played well today but overall they're an average team with only 2 world class players, Kahn and Ballack;

As for a WC XI anyone have any ideas?

GK: Kahn (Germany)

RB: Puyol (Spain)
CB: Choi (Korea) if only for his other initials!
CB: Ferdinand (England)
LB: Any good left backs?!

RM: Reyna (USA) had a great game v Mex on the right and v Ger
CM: Basturk (Turkey)
CM: Wilmots (Belgium)
LM: Duff (Ireland) though he hardly played in that position!

CF: Ahn (Korea)
CF: Rivaldo (Brazil)

CU
JC

pete
25/06/2002, 4:35 PM
In fairness to the ten players thing it took the tv commentators (from high in the stand) 15 minutes to notice Spain missing a player. Not sure what the team would have done different anyway.

Trues you can train for penalty to an extent but just look at Spains penalties against us & against Korea. - how come they completely different standard?

My theory about penalties is the team doing most the running in extra time will more than likely lose the shootout i.e. Spain & then Korea were the teams hanging on for penalties & went on to win the shootouts.

I never thought McCarthy a great manager but i'm able to accept when he done a good job & give him crdeit for it.

I agree WC almost over, time for the real football to start :D

patsh
25/06/2002, 5:12 PM
Originally posted by pete
I agree WC almost over, time for the real football to start :D
Yeah, hurling abuse across a forum is not half as satisfying as hurling abuse out the cross........:D

pete
25/06/2002, 5:47 PM
Examiner: Voller praises 'techical' foul (http://breaking.examiner.ie/story.asp?j=3085614&p=3x85668&n=3085728&x=)

Think we'd be saying the same if an irish player did it.....

John-boy
26/06/2002, 1:01 PM
Originally posted by pete
Examiner: Voller praises 'techical' foul (http://breaking.examiner.ie/story.asp?j=3085614&p=3x85668&n=3085728&x=)

Think we'd be saying the same if an irish player did it.....

Considering the commentators were praising Damian Duff for being a national treasure for going down easily in the box to get us our penalty I'd say yes we would. Finnan did something similiar around midfield when Ireland were very vulnerable to the break. I can't remeber if this was against Cameroon or Germany.

Éanna
01/07/2002, 2:08 PM
Originally posted by Pablo
Imagine how tense a Germany/Turkey final would be, with so many millions(6?) of Turks living in Germany
most germans would rather germany go out than have had to face turkey in the final. AFAIK, there are 2.5 million turks living in germany legally. Berlinis actually the largest turkish city in the world after Istanbul!