PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations to Munster Rugby...

Plastic Paddy
20/05/2006, 4:25 PM
Champions of Europe! :D

A fantastic win today boys, long overdue and most welcome. All good things come to those who wait. Well done again. :)

:ball: PP

aberharp
20/05/2006, 4:52 PM
congratulations to munster!! i'm delighted for them :D :D

Risteard
20/05/2006, 4:57 PM
What's with the fields of Athenry?:confused: :confused:

FarBeag
20/05/2006, 5:14 PM
That was some game. Heart stopping stuff towards the end.They all played a blinder particulary Springer.Some crowd too.Fair play to Munster.

ccfcgirl
20/05/2006, 10:38 PM
Brilliant result and great athmosphere around the place ..Well done

Real ale Madrid
21/05/2006, 12:04 AM
What a day. What a team. What a cracking game as well. And thank God they finally did it. Wish i was at home for this. Well done Munster.

Forever Dreamin
21/05/2006, 9:28 PM
Congratulations and i hope the fai invite them to the chile game as guests of honour, the're an inspiration for all irish sportspeople

Risteard
21/05/2006, 9:37 PM
What's with the fields of Athenry?:confused: :confused:
Anyone shine some light on this?
Not a rugby fan but heard them singing it.
Is it some sort of changed version like the fields of Thomond Park or something?

Soper
21/05/2006, 9:50 PM
Nah, it was the normal version.It was printed on little cards issued by the Munster supporters club (on the reverse was the words to Stand Up and Fight).The atmosphere was just so infectious, that everyone got roped into singing.

The match was amazing, I feel privilaged to have got to see it, and it'll be soemthing to tell the kids.If only there was more ways to thank the team for yesterday.

carrickharp
22/05/2006, 10:49 AM
Well done some match alright!!!

Roo69
22/05/2006, 11:25 AM
delighted for them !

Great game, don't know how both sides kept up the pace right until the end, savage stuff altogether ! They rode there luck quite a lot but ya need that bit of luck to win it. How on earth was there 1st try given ? one of the worst decisions in any major final EVER. Stringer was in a class of his own.

paul_oshea
22/05/2006, 12:27 PM
stringers passess out to ogara were terrible lads, not one was into his chest, all too high or in front of ogara, dont be overshadowed by his one-man try.

btw i have to agree the fields is a connaucht song not a munster song!!!!

anyhow was some buzz, watched it in germany on rte. quality stuff. there is no better sports setup for rugby or soccer than the irish panel. great stuff really.

popey said he has been to super 12 finals, to big new zealand games but he had experienced nothing like "this" before. it was infectious it was munster first and ireland second, i think anyone who was irish was a proud man on saturday.

Dricky
22/05/2006, 2:43 PM
Anyone shine some light on this?
Not a rugby fan but heard them singing it.
Is it some sort of changed version like the fields of Thomond Park or something?

It has to do with where it was written not the place he signs about, isn't written from the prison in Limerick before being shipped out down under. Always thought that's what it was.

strangeirish
22/05/2006, 2:49 PM
The Fields of Athenry is a song about the Irish Potato Famine, which was composed in the 1970s by Pete St. John. The words however, originate from a broadsheet ballad published in the 1880s. A version of the song was published by Devlin in Dublin with a different tune to the one known today.

"The Fields of Athenry" is widely seen as the definitive folk song on the Famine, telling the story of the Famine through the personal experiences of someone gaoled and deported.

The song, which was first recorded by Irish ballad singer Paddy Reilly, recounts the tale of a fictional Irishman in prison, reporting the story he could hear through the prison walls of another prisoner who is being deported to Botany Bay for stealing food to feed his starving family.

Paddy Ramone
22/05/2006, 3:10 PM
I'm not a great rugby fan but it was great to see Munster win. I'm half Munster my mother is an O'Connell from Kerry. The stag on the Munster crest is from the O'Connell (and O'Sullivan and McCarthy) coat of arms.:)

joeSoap
22/05/2006, 8:18 PM
It was the greatest single sporting occassion that I have ever had the pleasure to experience, and I have been at All-Ireland finals, the 1999 Champions League Final where United stole it, and the 1998 World Cup Final in Paris. As a Munsterman, it was the proudest sporting day of my life. To those of you who want to mock or deride the choice of song the Munster fans sing; I pity you, for you do not understand what it is to passionately support your side. It wouldn't and shouldn't matter what songs or anthems are sung, be it the theme from Sesame Street or The Fields of Athenry.

Can anybody tell me what the Leinster anthem is please, or the Biarritz one, or the Toulouse one, or the WASPS one....probably not, because none of these teams have the support base that Munster rugby has. And they never ever will. Before anybody criticises Munsters supporters song choices, I would advise them to go along to a Munster game...home or away...and witness the atmosphere. It will change your opinion.

The match itself was a classic, typical final. Close, physical, and decided by errors. I have never see so many big players not perform to their potential, Shaun Payne, O'Gara(second half), Paul O'Connell, Traille, Lievremont, Betsen, and Brusque all played below their best for different reasons. Somebody criticised Stringers passing earlier; I don't know what game he was watching. Stringer was mostly sublime. Not everything went 100% as he planned it, but the try, his tackling, and leadership were immense. Halstead was a collossus, and the Bull incredible. Donncha played his best ever game of rugby. What a day...unbelieveable.

Yes, I am biased, yes I am a Munster fan, Yes, I'm proud of it, and No, I don't give a flying f**k what anybody else thinks!!

Thank you Declan Kidney and the 30 odd other heroes for making so many people so happy.:D :D

Soper
22/05/2006, 10:13 PM
I endorse the above statement:D

I know it is a cliche, but it really was one of, if not the best occasion of my life.

Risteard
23/05/2006, 12:17 AM
To those of you who want to mock or deride the choice of song the Munster fans sing; I pity you, for you do not understand what it is to passionately support your side. It wouldn't and shouldn't matter what songs or anthems are sung, be it the theme from Sesame Street or The Fields of Athenry.

Steady on Joe, twas a genuine query, not that i'm any the wiser now as to why Munster claim it as their own, rather than Irelands.
Written in a Limerick jail???
Like i said, no interest in rugby but very impressive to see that sort of mobilisation of support for any sporting team in Ireland.
Don't see how you get to question my support for my team though.:confused: :mad: ;)

londonirish17
23/05/2006, 9:14 AM
FĂ©licitations !
Great game, great athmosphere, great support.
Munster were the best but tribute should be paid to Biarritz who were oustanding through the whole season ! Toulouse and Stade Français were never near that level...

tetsujin1979
23/05/2006, 9:40 AM
I'm still recovering from the trip. Planes, trains and automobiles were all made use of in the pilgrimage to the upper tier in the Millenium Stadium in Cardiff. The flag hanging behind my desk in work was draped over the wall and can be seen in some of the conversions and penalties. Still can't believe I was there or that we won.

Some pics from around the net:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mediapower/sets/72057594141862633/
http://www.play.ie/index.html
http://www.bhalpin.com/
http://community.webshots.com/album/550637577yuwlAD/2

Roo69
23/05/2006, 10:11 AM
Can anybody tell me what the Leinster anthem is please, or the Biarritz one, or the Toulouse one, or the WASPS one....probably not, because none of these teams have the support base that Munster rugby has. And they never ever will.

Not having ago what so ever, as i said i was delighted as an Irishman that an Irish team won the top prize in european rugby, but..... i was listening to the Last Word last night (i think) and they were talking about support and they mentioned that offical figures have Leinster's and Ulster's attendences high this season.

Kingdom
23/05/2006, 10:17 AM
Some super photos there Tets.

Johnnie C
23/05/2006, 10:49 AM
Ole Ole Brigade
Man United
Munster

A rising tide lifts all boats. Easy to "follow" a team when they only play a maximum of 9 important games spread over 8 months :rolleyes:

joeSoap
23/05/2006, 10:57 AM
Ole Ole Brigade
Man United
Munster

A rising tide lifts all boats. Easy to "follow" a team when they only play a maximum of 9 important games spread over 8 months :rolleyes:

Johnny (I refuse to spell it the Brit way you do)...stop being such a pillock...or maybe you can't help it or handle the Munster success....go try rise someone who is going to fall for it.

Schumi
23/05/2006, 3:07 PM
Happy for Munster, they deserved the win against a very dangerous looking Biarritz side. The noise was fantastic with the roof closed, hope they close it for the football qualifier. I was in the very back row of the top tier and the view was great for such a distance from the pitch, fantastic stadium, really looking forward to Wales - Ireland.

pete
23/05/2006, 3:09 PM
I travelled over & must say enjoyed the previous final in Cardiff against Leicester more excluding the result.

I was at the quarter & semi finals & might go to 1 or 2 celtic league games if in Cork at year but were far too many bandwagon people at the game this time. The fact that virtually no Biarritz support also lessened the occasion. We had good seats behind the posts where tries scored but huge amount of people who probably at first game this season. A lot of shiney new jerseys in view.

Cardiff seemed good spot 3 years ago but came across as a kip this year with few bars or facilities in the town.

As an avid eL supporter everything else suffers by comparison. I just can't invest the same emotion in any other event. However tingle in my spin when teams entered the pitch pre ko.

15 hour ferry delay in Holyhead kip but Stenaline muppets probably not help my mood.

Paddy Ramone
24/05/2006, 10:46 AM
Johnny (I refuse to spell it the Brit way you do)...stop being such a pillock...or maybe you can't help it or handle the Munster success....go try rise someone who is going to fall for it.

What's British about spelling "Johnny" as "Johnnie"?

NY Hoop
24/05/2006, 10:59 AM
Fantastic to see an Irish team winning the European Cup. Anybody who claims to be Irish who says otherwise is a muppet.

Great year for Irish rugby. Triple Crown, beating the huns 3 times in a row and a European Cup. Happy days:D

KOH

Stuttgart88
24/05/2006, 11:01 AM
To those of you who want to mock or deride the choice of song the Munster fans sing; I pity you, for you do not understand what it is to passionately support your side. It wouldn't and shouldn't matter what songs or anthems are sung, be it the theme from Sesame Street or The Fields of Athenry.

Can anybody tell me what the Leinster anthem is please, or the Biarritz one, or the Toulouse one, or the WASPS one....probably not, because none of these teams have the support base that Munster rugby has. And they never ever will. Before anybody criticises Munsters supporters song choices, I would advise them to go along to a Munster game...home or away...and witness the atmosphere. It will change your opinion.
Eh, a bit of a chippy retort. no? The lad was simply asking why Munster sing it. Innocent enough question I thought :)

Bald Student
24/05/2006, 11:57 AM
Before anybody criticises Munsters supporters song choices, I would advise them to go along to a Munster game...home or away...and witness the atmosphere. It will change your opinion.You left out the small print.

"Offer applies only to big European Cup games. Atmosphere and crowds not guarenteed on Celtic League evenings. 'Away' refers to destinations in the South of France, not provincial rugby grounds."

CollegeTillIDie
25/05/2006, 7:52 AM
You left out the small print.

Missed the match I am overseas, and did not even see the result.
I know Munster won lads but what was the score? Well done to them anyway.
The point about bandwagon jumpers is I believe a fair one.
I have long believed that the fan who goes to the bread and butter games, in any sport, should be prioritized when it comes to the big match tickets, which on this occasion for once, did not seem to be in too short supply judging by the small amount of tickets sold in France.

But on a general point I believe that the GAA fan who goes to club Hurling games and National League games should get priority over me ( I have been to I think one hurling match in my life and that was earlier this year) when it comes to All-Ireland/Provincial Championship matches.

In the same way the AIL and Celtic League supporters deserves first crack at the Heineken Cup and International Rugby tickets...

And finally the EL supporters deserve priority when it comes to International tickets. And all of the barstoolers and Premiersh*t supporters can take a run and jump, that is only fair and just! And you cannot say given the numbers involved and the fact that Croker is going to be used for internationals that there won't still be room for a few ole ole bandwagon jumpers!

pete
25/05/2006, 10:22 AM
Anyone who really needed a ticket could have bought on the internet weeks ago. Any true fan knew where & when the game was on & should have bought befoe the semi final as could have offloaded to Leinster if lost that.

Plenty of Leinster event junkies there last weekend too some even dressed in Munster merchandise :eek:

tetsujin1979
25/05/2006, 10:58 AM
some vids from the big day, Nancy Blake's in Limerick goes ape and O'Connell Street is wedged!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pPvyx4lkrI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nkLubytk8w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0iKaShHorM&search=Munster%20Limerick

drinkfeckarse
25/05/2006, 2:03 PM
I travelled over & must say enjoyed the previous final in Cardiff against Leicester more excluding the result.

I was at the quarter & semi finals & might go to 1 or 2 celtic league games if in Cork at year but were far too many bandwagon people at the game this time. The fact that virtually no Biarritz support also lessened the occasion. We had good seats behind the posts where tries scored but huge amount of people who probably at first game this season. A lot of shiney new jerseys in view.

Bandwagon jumpers are natural so I don't even see the point for debate. Do you think all the people that stood in O'Connell St are regular Munster Rugby attendees? I don't see why anyone should be labelled just because it's their first game, everybody has a first game sometime and if just a small percentage of them continue to go then I'm sure the bigwigs will be pleased with that.

It's a situation that has snowballed and caught everybody's imagination so of course there was going to be lots of people there that don't regularly go to games if at all. Otherwise Munster would be getting 60,000 at every home game (if it was possible of course). It is a natural phenomenon, a bit like City getting 7 or 8 thousand for a big European tie and then 1,500 on a wet miserable night a few days later....

pete
25/05/2006, 2:45 PM
All teams have a bandwagon element to big matches however lot of event junkies in Cardiff i.e. people who attend big events irrespective of the team or the sport. These are the same people who will moan that can't get All Ireland tickets.

If Leinster were in the final i would definitely not have travelled & would not have hoped they'd win.

Soper
25/05/2006, 3:16 PM
I only got to 6 matches this year (4 celtic league and 2 heineken cup, all of which were over here).Will have to improve that.

paul_oshea
25/05/2006, 3:25 PM
this "great" munster support has only started over the last few years, and got bigger and bigger every year as there quest for glory gathered moss.

gspain
26/05/2006, 8:04 AM
Yes but the great Munster support was the great Limerick support for the AIL in the 1990s. Young Munster brought 30,000 to Lansdowne Road in 1993 for an AIL decider. Shannon v Garryowen packed out Thomond a year or so later. There has been a strong tradition too in Cork, parts of Kerry and North Tipperary.

It was a great day and a moment to savour.

Of course there is a bandwagon effect but that happens in all sports. Where are the 23,000 Shels fans who watched the Depor game?

From a football perspective I think the Munster story should give great encouragement. Football is still a far more popular game than rugby outside of Limerick. Rugby is at best 3rd in the popularity stakes while football is by far the most played and watched (albeit on tv) sport in the country. Those diehard Man Utd and Celtic fans could well be supporting a successful Irish side in the future be that Shelbourne, Cork City, Drogheda or even Limerick (I can dream).