PDA

View Full Version : RTE World Cup Gatecrasher

Pages : [1] 2

gatecrasher
19/05/2006, 3:04 PM
World Cup RTE

RTE are sending a film crew over to Germany, sending back reports on the World Cup every couple of days. We’re calling it “Gatecrasher” as it’s someone else’s party and we’re gatecrashing it, travelling around in a van all over Germany for the duration of the tournament. If anyone is heading over to the tournament send us an email to gatecrasher@rte.ie telling us who ya are, and where you’re gonna be (what matches etc ). We’re gonna try and catch up with as many Irish fans over there as possible.

Look forward to hearing from ya

The gatecrasher team

GalwayFrancis
19/05/2006, 3:49 PM
fair play, even rte are on foot.ie!

pete
22/05/2006, 5:30 PM
fair play, even rte are on foot.ie!

Typical bandwagon RTE-ers ;)

Docboy
23/05/2006, 5:16 PM
You can hardly argue with their reasoning, we'll be watching the WC anyhow. Crying shame we're not all on our way!

onenilgameover
23/05/2006, 11:56 PM
Think this is Ger Gilroys baby...

ruben_sosa
12/06/2006, 6:47 PM
your gatecrasher segment is f*cking horrendous, i wouldn't like to be with you planks on an ireland away trip. The most toe curling moment so far was u trying to get a word out of that East Belfast fella over there supporting england, wouldn't even stop to talk to ye so u ran along side him trying to be the friendly fenian.

thejollyrodger
13/06/2006, 5:53 PM
RTE should print some of the posts here out and hand them to Johnny Giles and Brady. Obviosuly they need help

NeilMcD
14/06/2006, 9:27 AM
That guy from East Belfast was an ignorant ****.

bluemovie
22/06/2006, 1:05 PM
Sorry, but that Gatecrasher thing is appalling. How much of my TV license was wasted on that?

Jerry The Saint
22/06/2006, 1:19 PM
Sorry, but that Gatecrasher thing is appalling. How much of my TV license was wasted on that?

[QUOTE=Frank Stapleton]I think we should go over to Germany and give him a smack!

Dodge
22/06/2006, 1:36 PM
Doubt its much. Fair play to Gilroy though. Deserves it for putting up with Roddy's ****e on newstalk

NeilMcD
22/06/2006, 2:19 PM
He might get the Dunphy gig now that he has left.

tipp man
22/06/2006, 2:44 PM
This rubbish is beneath Gilroy's obvious talent. Why can't RTE give him something decent to do. I have not seen him get one piece of footage that was even mildly interesting. If he is going for humour then he is failing badly!

LeixlipRed
22/06/2006, 6:17 PM
Its shockingly bad alright. Don't think Gilroy is "made" for TV to be honest (what was that skin tight orange t-shirt all about for example). I love him on Newstalk but i really dont think his voice is suited for TV. He just annoys me to be honest. And the actual programme itself is unbelievably uninspired. Whats the aim of it all? What the hell are they gatecrashing? I presume FIFA dont let them film inside the ground so why even bother making this if you knew you couldnt actually get some decent footage? rubbish

Billsthoughts
27/06/2006, 12:45 PM
Its not as bad as people are saying. I think it could probably do without having an intro that lasts nearly as long as the segment. But its still an interesting concept. I take it all the people criticising it have extensive TV experience? No? I didnt think so. Never mind the begrudgers Ger..........

pineapple stu
27/06/2006, 12:53 PM
I take it all the people criticising it have extensive TV experience? No? I didn't think so.
I imagine those people have extensive TV experience from sitting down watching telly every day.

Billsthoughts
27/06/2006, 12:57 PM
I doubt watching telly would give you any idea of how a television programme is conceived and produced. All it makes you an expert in is sitting on your arse.

pineapple stu
27/06/2006, 12:59 PM
Nobody's criticising the production values. They're criticising the content, as far as I can see. Watching other programmes with content is a very good way of forming a view on this programme's content.

Billsthoughts
27/06/2006, 1:06 PM
Well give a few examples of a similar segment which you feel has superior "content"? Or it is it a case of you just knowing what you dont like? Try add some constructive criticism that rises above "its ****e"!

pineapple stu
27/06/2006, 1:10 PM
Show me where I said it's ****e?

You said that people had to be experts in TV production to criticise a show. I showed that that was ****e, with reasons. You're now saying that that view is ****e without reasons. Bit hypocritical, no?

Billsthoughts
27/06/2006, 1:13 PM
Either give an example of a similar segment and compare and contrast with Gatecrasher or shut up.

Roadend
27/06/2006, 1:18 PM
Its rubbish, you're not going to change that fact no matter what you ramble on with.

Billsthoughts
27/06/2006, 1:20 PM
Were there not enough car chases in it for you?

Roadend
27/06/2006, 1:22 PM
There was no entertainment in it whatsoever, its just a few nomarks off on a jolly up. I'm sure you can extract some entertainment out of that though, you seem the type.

Billsthoughts
27/06/2006, 1:27 PM
You can just switch it off when it comes on next time and watch worlds biggest storms on Sky 1. I think Ger Gilroy has a lovely voice and could listen to him say anything.

Roadend
27/06/2006, 1:30 PM
Why wait till next time, I've switched it off already, one episode was enough.

NeilMcD
27/06/2006, 1:40 PM
Billsthoughts, please tell me you are female.

bluemovie
27/06/2006, 1:54 PM
I've never played in the World Cup, but I know that Ukraine v Switzerland was not an entertaining game.

I've never worked in television, but I know that Gatecrasher has not been an entertaining segment.

I assume the purpose of Gatecrasher is to provide an off-beat insight into the whole 'event' of the World Cup outside of just what is happening on the field. In which case, the most recent programme with which it could be compared is Ardal O'Hanlon's European derbies show. I found that programme both witty and insightful. It benefitted from concentrating on one thing per half hour show.

Obviously, Gatecrasher only has a few minutes per programme so it is limited, but they don't seem to have planned their time to maximise the entertainment value. Short segments like this were used on the BBC2 show Standing Room Only in the early 90s. They seemed to have a stronger sense of their purpose and were both informative and hilarious.

In terms of getting a sense of a place or an event, Gatecrasher could be compared to TG4's Neelo, Imigh le Sruth or Hector. Any of these are more enjoyable - largely due to the charisma of the presenters - something which Gatecrasher is lacking.

I think I've seen 3 Gatecrasher segments and haven't enjoyed anything yet. The one thing that looked promising was an interview with Paddy Agnew about the Italian scandal, but he only got about 30 seconds and it was kind of lumped in without much thought.

We see a little of the colour of various groups of fans, but nothing new. Even Marty Morrissey in the Woolshed got more out of his interviewees.

Generally, programme-makers welcome feedback from viewers. Personally, I think that Gatecrasher suffers from a lack of purpose, of humour and of charisma. I would switch it off, but then I might miss something worthwhile like the panel's comments or Apres Match.

nedder
27/06/2006, 9:44 PM
Its not as bad as people are saying. I think it could probably do without having an intro that lasts nearly as long as the segment. But its still an interesting concept. I take it all the people criticising it have extensive TV experience? No? I didnt think so. Never mind the begrudgers Ger..........

An interesting concept, but it's complete sh**te. Partly I think due to the fact that its only on for about 2 mins. However, I would agree with other posters that it totally fails to capture and convey the world cup atmosphere and gives little or no insight.

tetsujin1979
27/06/2006, 11:33 PM
Short segments like this were used on the BBC2 show Standing Room Only in the early 90s.
Jaysus, that takes me back, i remember the short cartoons, like God trying to take over from brian clough at forest, or jack charlton naming the ireland team with players like "celtic's goalie" and "scouse striker"

Docboy
27/06/2006, 11:35 PM
You can just switch it off when it comes on next time and watch worlds biggest storms on Sky 1. I think Ger Gilroy has a lovely voice and could listen to him say anything.

Are you Ger Gilroy??????????????

tetsujin1979
27/06/2006, 11:51 PM
Are you Ger Gilroy??????????????
Could be Eoin McDevitt or Ken Early!!

LeixlipRed
28/06/2006, 2:11 AM

And listen I do! On the radio that is. The man wears skin tight shirts while in public view while posessing a pot belly!! If that doesnt indicate that this segment is ****e i dont know what does. Its got so little content in it that people are having trouble explaining why its ****e. Sometimes things are just ****e without any reason (other than the skin tight shirts reason that is) and gatecrasher is one of those things. Its ****e. End of story

Dotsy
28/06/2006, 10:32 AM
And listen I do! On the radio that is. The man wears skin tight shirts while in public view while posessing a pot belly!! If that doesnt indicate that this segment is ****e i dont know what does. Its got so little content in it that people are having trouble explaining why its ****e. Sometimes things are just ****e without any reason (other than the skin tight shirts reason that is) and gatecrasher is one of those things. Its ****e. End of story

Brilliant:D That sums it up perfectly.

Billsthoughts
28/06/2006, 11:20 AM
Seems to me that you people have anger issues.........btw NeilMcD, "lady" is the term you are looking for. what were you people looking for in the programme other than the oppurtunity to moan!

NeilMcD
28/06/2006, 11:24 AM
Ok lady, I would not have thought that Ger Gilroy was a gay icon. Fair play to Ger Gilroy for looking like an Irish guy on the last going around Germany. No style . Leilip Red maybe you are reading far too many issues of loaded.

bluemovie
28/06/2006, 12:09 PM
Seems to me that you people have anger issues.

Well Duh!! We ARE football fans!:D

tipp man
29/06/2006, 3:35 PM
Seems to me that you people have anger issues.........btw NeilMcD, "lady" is the term you are looking for. what were you people looking for in the programme other than the oppurtunity to moan!
I was looking for a segment that conveyed the atmosphere in the world cup cities, conversations with fans who had travelled miles and miles to get there etc etc.

Gatecrasher provides none of that. It is a terrible attempt and IMO is a waste of money. I am not criticising out of some form of begrudgery. I am critical of it because it really is rubbish!

Billsthoughts
29/06/2006, 3:58 PM
"I have travelled miles to be here" random fan
" the atmosphere here is great" Ger Gilroy.
Something like that?

Docboy
29/06/2006, 4:36 PM
Keep flogging that horse, you'll make them like it ag crioch an la!

jbyrne
29/06/2006, 5:30 PM
i like the idea of it. think it would be a lot better if it was longer. not much insight to behind the scenes WC can be fitted into a few mins. they would have to uncover something pretty spectacular to make any kind of impact in such a short slot

Billsthoughts
30/06/2006, 11:33 AM
So we are all agreed then. It is a brilliant insightful little gem of a segment and hopefully RTE will do the right thing and give it a full hour long show.

NeilMcD
30/06/2006, 11:43 AM
With you presenting it Bill

Billsthoughts
30/06/2006, 11:45 AM
Nobody could replace Ger Gilroide.......
Maybe Ger should log in and answer his critics and leave his phone number...?????

nedder
30/06/2006, 12:15 PM
So we are all agreed then. It is a brilliant insightful little gem of a segment and hopefully RTE will do the right thing and give it a full hour long show.

oh please god No, an hour of that S***e!

nedder
30/06/2006, 12:18 PM
http://www.foot.ie/showthread.php?t=36697

They should have given the camera to gspain, seems like he's having more craic than Gilroy!!

OwlsFan
30/06/2006, 12:33 PM
It was an interesting concept and a good name - judging by the reaction here it hasn't been a success. I just saw the interview with Staunton which I enjoyed but haven't really watched the rest. I flick over to the other stations to see how Gabby Yorath is looking and what Drunkphy's twin brother, Ian Wright, has to say.

LeixlipRed
30/06/2006, 4:19 PM
Leilip Red maybe you are reading far too many issues of loaded.

I didnt realise saying something was ****e four times in a row was symptomatic of the fact you read rubbish magazines. The point I was getting across was that it's such a short and absolutely empty segment that it's hard to explain why it's crap. It just is

ruben_sosa
01/07/2006, 1:00 PM
http://www.foot.ie/showthread.php?t=36697

They should have given the camera to gspain, seems like he's having more craic than Gilroy!!

please god no, he might start yapping about his collection of old football programmes or bring along his sh8te stand up comic brother Karl. yes that's his brother.

http://www.rte.ie/tv/karlspain/

oconghc2
02/07/2006, 10:53 AM
please god no, he might start yapping about his collection of old football programmes or bring along his sh8te stand up comic brother Karl. yes that's his brother.

http://www.rte.ie/tv/karlspain/

he was actually on it there last night! - surprised he hasnt caught up with more irish fans over there - does anyone remember his comment about irish people wearing GAA tops abroad? I could have it totally arse ways - but i thought he was kind of laughing at them for it - again could be totally wrong :)