PDA

View Full Version : Legend Breen released by Sunderland

Pages : [1] 2

as_i_say
18/05/2006, 8:12 AM
Sad day this. one of my favorite players. I heard from friends who "heard" that sheffield utd were interested, maybe someone here could deny or confirm. If he doesnt at least get a high profile championship club, the dream of a team of gary breens for ireland could be over.

Beavis
18/05/2006, 8:25 AM
yeah I'd second that. an irish legend up there with Terry Phelan.

And number 1 is Gary Breen.......

Roo69
18/05/2006, 8:58 AM
Legend ?

as_i_say
18/05/2006, 9:25 AM
yes thats right. legend. never let ireland down, even when he played for kerr the odd time.

Plastic Paddy
18/05/2006, 10:06 AM
And number 1 is Gary Breen.......

That brings to mind one of my favourite football memories - a group of us on the Paris RER the day of the France match at the SdF bursting (well, spluttering) into song... "Nous tout le rêve d'une équipe de Gary Breens..." :D

Even the haughty Parisians were impressed!

:ball: PP

Roo69
18/05/2006, 10:10 AM
yes thats right. legend. never let ireland down, even when he played for kerr the odd time.

Would not put Gary Breen and Legend in the same sentence myself, now Paul McGrath = Legend, Liam Brady = Legend, Johnny Giles = Legend etc...

Plastic Paddy
18/05/2006, 10:43 AM
Would not put Gary Breen and Legend in the same sentence myself, now Paul McGrath = Legend, Liam Brady = Legend, Johnny Giles = Legend etc...

I can't speak for anyone else but to 2G and 3G Irish of a certain age or outlook Gary Breen is a legend. And I fall into those categories. :D

Dodge
18/05/2006, 11:05 AM
Likeable guy. Thought he was generally underrated by most. Certainly not a legend in footballing terms in my mind but why begrudge him

Donal81
18/05/2006, 11:35 AM
He had a fabulous World Cup in 2002, I reckon he really helped to galvanise the team after Saipan. He wanted to play for us so badly, I always got that sense, and I won't forget that. He had everything you want from a 2G player (other than world class talent, of course) and here's to him finding himself another club for a couple of years. Himself and Kilbane are really the poster boys of 2G players, who are born, raised and educated in England but grow up wanting to play for what they consider their country.

Purely on the pitch, his marking was ropey at times and that's being polite. If McCarthy's team was an example of the sum being greater than its parts, Breen personified it.

dr_peepee
18/05/2006, 11:56 AM
He shouldn't have any trouble picking up a top Championship club. He was on their team of the year last year and has the experience of captaining a league winning team.

I'd like to see him maintain premiership status for his and our sake. But he never seemed to be able to bridge the gap from Championship to top flight. He'd be an inexpensive gamble for a premiership club though.

Glenn Roeder might sign him again him at Newcaslte:D

John83
18/05/2006, 11:59 AM
Well, never that he could help, anyway! Decent, if limited player.

tetsujin1979
18/05/2006, 12:29 PM
linked with Reading today, according to football365

as_i_say
18/05/2006, 12:35 PM
yeah himself and kilbane were the 2 players that developed from very limited nobodies into 50+ cap international players thanks in part to mccarthy's man management. but it looks like neither will get much of a look in in the future unless we're short

tricky_colour
18/05/2006, 2:49 PM
Well with both Reading and Shefield United chasing him it sounds
more of a case of Sunderland realising that they would not be able
to keep him anyway?

http://www.sunderlandtoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=1108&ArticleID=1508336

He's a far better player than many give him credit for.

DmanDmythDledge
18/05/2006, 4:07 PM
One of the most under-rated players to play for Ireland. Were there any truth in the rumours after the 2002 WC that Inter Milan were interested in signing him?

John83
18/05/2006, 4:20 PM
One of the most under-rated players to play for Ireland. Were there any truth in the rumours after the 2002 WC that Inter Milan were interested in signing him?
Yes there was - he was available free. They soon realised the error of their ways. I wouldn't consider him underrated at all. Most people acknowledge that he was good at times but he was inconsistant and tended to do very poorly in the Premiership - West Ham and Sunderland fans won't be missing him.

tricky_colour
18/05/2006, 5:06 PM
Yes there was - he was available free. They soon realised the error of their ways. I wouldn't consider him underrated at all. Most people acknowledge that he was good at times but he was inconsistant and tended to do very poorly in the Premiership - West Ham and Sunderland fans won't be missing him.

"The 32-year-old had an option to stay at Sunderland for another season,
but only if they survived in the top flight."
So whether he was 'released' or not is irrelevant, he would be pretty
much free to go anyway, I am pretty confident Breen will be playing
Premiership football next season, he might not be good enough for
the fans of a Championship team but he may well be playing in the top
half of the Premiership next season rather than the bottom half of the
Championship. Being 'released' might be the best thing that ever happened
to him!!

zinedineontour
18/05/2006, 5:42 PM
Likeable guy. Thought he was generally underrated by most. Certainly not a legend in footballing terms in my mind but why begrudge him

Likeable guy my hole ... One of the rudest footballers I have ever met and wont be missed by Sunderland fans.. Has a very inflated opinion of himself and am happy to see the back of him .

zinedineontour
18/05/2006, 5:43 PM

Under Rated ??? Is his own mind maybe .. But a very average footballer who if anyone watched Man City v Sunderland this season will see why him been a captain was a disgrace. Wont be missed in Sunderland

zinedineontour
18/05/2006, 5:45 PM
"The 32-year-old had an option to stay at Sunderland for another season,
but only if they survived in the top flight."
So whether he was 'released' or not is irrelevant, he would be pretty
much free to go anyway, I am pretty confident Breen will be playing
Premiership football next season, he might not be good enough for
the fans of a Championship team but he may well be playing in the top
half of the Premiership next season rather than the bottom half of the
Championship. Being 'released' might be the best thing that ever happened
to him!!

Best thing that ever happened to Sunderland more like ... Doubt he will play in top half of prem though as he said earlier in the season " Im a premiership player and thats where I need to be playing " .. Poor deluded lad played more like a conference player this season..

The Legend
18/05/2006, 6:19 PM
ehm you guys must be on crack... admittedly he tried his heart for Ireland, but he's a rubbish footballer. I hope he doesnt go to Reading cause i'd like to see them stay in the premiership next year. He's best off calling it a day.

TheJamaicanP.M.
18/05/2006, 6:37 PM
ehm you guys must be on crack... admittedly he tried his heart for Ireland, but he's a rubbish footballer. I hope he doesnt go to Reading cause i'd like to see them stay in the premiership next year. He's best off calling it a day.

Gary Breen IS a legend. You are not my friend, despite the name.:D

Plastic Paddy
18/05/2006, 7:20 PM
Gary Breen IS a legend. You are not my friend, despite the name.:D

Good work JPM. Telling it just like it is. :)

The Legend
18/05/2006, 10:30 PM
and why is he a legend exactly? the same way as Eddie "the eagle" Mcgoldrick is a legend... ok i get it now. Apologies

onenilgameover
19/05/2006, 12:32 AM
have my brazil ticket from a couple of years ago signed by him....legend.....

stojkovic
19/05/2006, 12:46 AM
I'd rate him only slightly higher than other Irish centre half legends - Paul Butler, Pierce O'Leary, Alan Kernaghan etc.

Ok he's likeable and always committed, so would I be if given the chance but it doesnt mean that I'm any good.

Not fit to lace the boots of Lawrenson, O'Leary, Moran or McGrath. Or even the Honey Monster.

He'll be remembered as a bad rendition of a Beatles number.

tricky_colour
19/05/2006, 1:02 AM
How many Irish centerbacks have scored in the World Cup finals?

stojkovic
19/05/2006, 1:36 AM
God, you're easily impressed.

So every player who scores in a WC is a legend.

Ok Gary Breen was better than Baresi, Maldini, Nesta, Bobby Moore, McGrath, Lawrenson, Hansen, Sammer etc because they never scored in a World Cup.

Actually Gary Breen was a better player than George Best because he never even played in a World Cup.

eirebhoy
19/05/2006, 7:42 AM
Breen is a quality player, one of the best to put on the green jersey. He'll have a vital part to play in the up and coming qualifiers. I liked the look of him in the holding role so maybe he could partner O'Shea in midfield. Barca could have done with him against Henry on Wednesday. Without a doubt an absolute legend!

CraftyToePoke
19/05/2006, 8:12 AM
or maybe he could ''do a job'' on the right side of midfield.

as_i_say
19/05/2006, 9:06 AM
good grief, such vitriol towards the Kerryman. I agree he was sh ite for west ham and did captain the worst premiership side of all time but NEVER let Ireland down.

Whoever said he was ignorant and rude, please elaborate and tell us why-he doesnt strike me as that kind of lad

OwlsFan
19/05/2006, 10:07 AM
But what is "a legend" ?:

www.dictionary.com

"Legend comes from the Latin adjective legenda, “for reading, to be read,” which referred only to written stories, not to traditional stories transmitted orally from generation to generation. A legend can also be a person or achievement worthy of inspiring such a story anyone or anything whose fame promises to be enduring, even if the renown is created more by the media than by oral tradition. Thus we speak of the legendary accomplishments of a major-league baseball star or the legendary voice of a famous opera singer. This usage is common journalistic hyperbole, and 55 percent of the Usage Panel accepts it."

On that basis I would not inclined to call Gary Breen a legend for like many an Irish centre half of previous eras, he will be forgotten by most when he hangs up his boots. He always gave his best, didn't mind warming the bench when required and was proud of his Irishness despite being born in England. I have a lot of time for him as a person but "a legend" - I am not so sure.

as_i_say
19/05/2006, 11:03 AM
Legend i says.

stojkovic
19/05/2006, 11:33 AM
Breen is a quality player, one of the best to put on the green jersey. He'll have a vital part to play in the up and coming qualifiers. I liked the look of him in the holding role so maybe he could partner O'Shea in midfield. Barca could have done with him against Henry on Wednesday. Without a doubt an absolute legend!Yes you are right. He marked Henry out of the game many, many times in the Premiership. Chelsea should sign him to replace Carvalho and Gallas and they will win the European Cup next year.

Lads the man was an average player, full stop. Get over it.

tricky_colour
19/05/2006, 4:47 PM
This (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/acrossthewater/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=22594) article about Gary Breen being released by Sunderland is entitled "Sunderland Legend"............"glad to see the back of Breen". :)

It's rather superfleous Sunderland 'releasing' Breen when he had a get out
clause in his contract should they get relegated.

Regarding that article:-
"turning point coming when he inexplicably handled the ball and was sent off at Manchester City".
When I first saw that it looked inexplicable, however in the context of the game I think he sacrified
himself to give the team a chance. I can't remember the exact circumstances
but I think it denied Man city the chance to 'kill off the game' with limited time remaining.
A legendary sacrifice :D

Adrianovic
19/05/2006, 4:49 PM
good grief, such vitriol towards the Kerryman.

Gary Breen is a Kerryman? Eh?

Ade

tricky_colour
19/05/2006, 4:54 PM
http://www.sheffieldtoday.net/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=59&ArticleID=1509882

The 'release' is decsribed as a cost cutting measure anyway, a sign they
cannot afford a player of such legendary quality.

zinedineontour
19/05/2006, 9:37 PM
It's rather superfleous Sunderland 'releasing' Breen when he had a get out
clause in his contract should they get relegated.

Regarding that article:-
"turning point coming when he inexplicably handled the ball and was sent off at Manchester City".
When I first saw that it looked inexplicable, however in the context of the game I think he sacrified
himself to give the team a chance. I can't remember the exact circumstances
but I think it denied Man city the chance to 'kill off the game' with limited time remaining.
A legendary sacrifice :D

The Man City point was a disgrace .. We were 2-1 and still had a chance in that game and the tool handballs the ball for no ****ing reason .. City werent going for a scorable chance or owt.. That was the last straw for Sunderland fans that our captain would be so irresponsible.. And the fact after this game he said he was " premiership quality and wanted to stay playing there " . Muppet of the highest order

Plastic Paddy
19/05/2006, 10:01 PM
Me and EB think he's a legend. In a democracy, and since I don't hear Gustavo protesting, that's therefore down to (mod) majority rule. That's settled then. ;)

(Dav, if you'd have been on the RER with us rather than selling tickets at vastly oer-inflated prices then you too would know the words. All together now...)

"Nous tout le rêve d'une équipe de Gary Breens
Equipe de Gary Breens
Equipe de Gary Breens..." :D

tricky_colour
19/05/2006, 11:17 PM
The Man City point was a disgrace .. We were 2-1 and still had a chance in that game and the tool handballs the ball for no ****ing reason .. City werent going for a scorable chance or owt.. That was the last straw for Sunderland fans that our captain would be so irresponsible.. And the fact after this game he said he was " premiership quality and wanted to stay playing there " . Muppet of the highest order

I can only remember the game vaguely but as I recall Sunderland had
pushed everyone forward (including Breen) in an attempt to get a goal,
however they lost possession and were seriously exposed at the back
and likely to go 3:1 down on the break, that would have been the end for
Sunderland, hence Breen handled to allow the defense time to get back.
Of course that meant he got sent off, but they would still have a chance
with 10 men at 2:1 down. At 3:1 down, they would be out of the game,
even with 11 men. So as far as I am concerned it was not a blunder,
it was a stroke of genius and a calculated risk which unfortunately didn't
pay off as Sunderland can't score a goal to save their lives, never mind 2 goals. Their top scorer has 3 goals, that's just two ahead of Breen's 1.
One goal a season ain't bad for a centreback at the foot of the table.
3 goals for a striker is absymal.
Top class player in a cr*p side.

neutral
20/05/2006, 3:57 PM
muck is the only word i can describe gary breen's football ability, fair enough he turned up for ireland and gave his best blah blah blah.....so what....most average footballers would turn up for "their country" if called upon and give it their all....the fact is he was and is a poor footballer. if you want to put him in the "LEGEND" category for turning up for ireland then fair enough, but if anyones being honest he is no where near a footballing legend........

Plastic Paddy
20/05/2006, 4:27 PM
so what....most average footballers would turn up for "their country" if called upon and give it their all...

And what is it exactly you wish us to infer from your use of speech marks? I wonder... :rolleyes:

neutral
20/05/2006, 4:54 PM
maybe that was a bit harsh......gary breen has been a great servant to this footballing country down the years through his dedication and hard work, but i really cant put him in the "Legend" category for his footballing ability.......be it for ireland, subderland etc.....

gustavo
20/05/2006, 6:01 PM
Surely Legends shouldnt become Legends solely based on his footballing ability and for that i think he is a Legend!

neutral
21/05/2006, 8:00 AM
Surely Legends shouldnt become Legends solely based on his footballing ability and for that i think he is a Legend!

gustavo please spare the inconsolable tokens of sympathy in putting gary breen in the "legend" catergory....coments such as yours turn my stomach....his footballing ability is similar to dan murray of cork city...and thats being kind....

zinedineontour
21/05/2006, 8:46 PM
I can only remember the game vaguely but as I recall Sunderland had
pushed everyone forward (including Breen) in an attempt to get a goal,
however they lost possession and were seriously exposed at the back
and likely to go 3:1 down on the break, that would have been the end for
Sunderland, hence Breen handled to allow the defense time to get back.
Of course that meant he got sent off, but they would still have a chance
with 10 men at 2:1 down. At 3:1 down, they would be out of the game,
even with 11 men. So as far as I am concerned it was not a blunder,
it was a stroke of genius and a calculated risk which unfortunately didn't
pay off as Sunderland can't score a goal to save their lives, never mind 2 goals. Their top scorer has 3 goals, that's just two ahead of Breen's 1.
One goal a season ain't bad for a centreback at the foot of the table.
3 goals for a striker is absymal.
Top class player in a cr*p side.

yeah getting your captain sent off with a stupid handball is great for your side.. we had men back so it was a stupid thing to do .. then his arrogance and lack of care after it was the final straw. Some of his comments this season have been disgraceful. He treated the fans with a lack of respect and the delight shown by sunderland fans at his release shows what we think of our " captain " .. our strikers were ****e yeah but would rather any of them than our gutless captain

jjppc
21/05/2006, 9:16 PM
Wasn't to clever at West Ham either , lasted one relagation season. That said he somehow played well for Ireland, especially the 20002 WC, but legend nah

tricky_colour
21/05/2006, 9:55 PM
yeah getting your captain sent off with a stupid handball is great for your side.. we had men back so it was a stupid thing to do .. then his arrogance and lack of care after it was the final straw. Some of his comments this season have been disgraceful. He treated the fans with a lack of respect and the delight shown by sunderland fans at his release shows what we think of our " captain " .. our strikers were ****e yeah but would rather any of them than our gutless captain

Well as I said from my point of view he got himself sent to ensure they had a chance of getting something from the game, he had done nothing wrong so had not to go grovelling about. The Sunderland fans should have clapped him off the pitch. He sacrificed himself for the good of the team and then gets slagged off by the fans!!! Brilliant, no wonder they went down.

Also if they thought he was that bad they should have been glad to have seen him sent of!!
They can't have it both ways can they?

Qwerty
21/05/2006, 10:52 PM
I don't know about Breen being a legend but the attacks on him as with others players are despicable. The cheap insults say more about those that make them, you're just barstool big-mouths. Breen, Carsley, Carr etc have and will do more for Irish football than anybody on this board ever will.

tricky_colour
21/05/2006, 10:52 PM
"But any hopes they had of salvaging a draw were ended when Breen was dismissed after picking up a second yellow card for his handball when blocking David James' throw."

So that clarifies it a bit for me, James was throwing the ball out for a City
attack and Breen, and no doubt most of the Sunderland defense were
well out of position, if City scored on that break the game was over.
A brave and sensible decision which went unrecognised by the knowledgeable
Sunderland fans, who expect the team to clap them, whilst offering little support,
but plenty of abuse for their own team, apparently.