PDA

View Full Version : Are there any new books on the Irish team?

bwagner
17/05/2006, 12:51 PM
Is there any new books on the irish team?
Or any good old material.
I never see the fai doing much publishing compared to all the rugby and gaa books , magazines etc................................

Paulie
17/05/2006, 1:30 PM
Tony Cascarino's autobiography is one of the better ones. It's out a few years now but it's definitely worth a read.

bwagner
17/05/2006, 1:38 PM
thanks paulie

bwagner
18/05/2006, 6:57 AM
Great Help Guys :o)

Donal81
18/05/2006, 2:40 PM
I never see the fai doing much publishing compared to all the rugby and gaa books , magazines etc................................

Niall Quinn's book is a good read. Cascarino's is excellent. Laptop Dancing and the Nannygoat Mambo by Tom Humphries is, at times, brilliant.

John83
18/05/2006, 5:13 PM
To attempt to avoid derailing the thread further, I'll suggest Red Mist: Roy Keane And the Irish World Cup Blues - a Fan's Story (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0747570795/qid=1147971362/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/002-6922910-5784063?s=books&v=glance&n=283155) by Conor O'Callaghan, which was published rairly recently.

There's also Ireland's Soccer Top 20 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1845960335/qid=1147972163/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i2_xgl/026-1953007-0944429) by Colm Keane. I got it for Christmas. It's okay, if a bit dull overall.

Edited by Dodge; removed the petty grammar/language debate(s)

stojkovic
19/05/2006, 12:49 AM
"The Garrison Game" from about 7/8 years ago.
"We were there" fans book from Euro88 and updated for WC90.

onenilgameover
19/05/2006, 12:53 AM
he is a list of books I have recent or not.

Only a game - Dunphy
Tony Cascarino's Bio
Paul Mc G's bio The black pearl
Aldo's bio
Big Jack's bio
Langer's bio
Quinn's bio (about langers bio)
other book langers bio mark 2
''The Gaffers'' Book on messers keane and mc carthy (bol!ox)
The Team that jack built (not bad)
Jack Charton cica 1994 by Tom Humphries
Jack Charltons WC diary 90 and 94
75 years a history of the FAI (out in 96 or around then)
Behind the Green door (awful stuff)
A nation holds its breath (football quotes out recently)
McCarthy's WC Diary
Gifted in green
Whats the story? fans stories
Bobby Robson's bio (not really to do with us but good read)
Brady's bio
loads of peter byrnes wonderous words in there... lol

Might be one or two more...i recommend Cascarino's one. Its very cheap in easons and its short and a good read...alot of the others aren't the best but are on the reading list for a degree in irish football so get swatting..

CraftyToePoke
19/05/2006, 7:25 AM
Frank Stapelton had one out, possibly going back to the early 90's, it was called ''frankly speaking'' i think.

Paulie
19/05/2006, 9:03 AM
Jack Charton cica 1994 by Tom Humphries
Whats the story? fans stories

These two any use?

Dodge
19/05/2006, 11:14 AM
Cleaned up this thread. Keep it on topic folks...

Stuttgart88
19/05/2006, 3:18 PM
Red Mist: Roy Keane and the Irish Football Civil War by Paul O'Callaghan (?).

A bit of a Roddy Doyle effort at capturing the mood during WC02, though very much from a pro-Roy Keane view. I couldn't finish it because I just couldn't undertstand how anyone could not care / not be up for Ireland because of what happened, which is what the author said.

John83
19/05/2006, 3:51 PM
Red Mist: Roy Keane and the Irish Football Civil War by Paul O'Callaghan (?).

A bit of a Roddy Doyle effort at capturing the mood during WC02, though very much from a pro-Roy Keane view. I couldn't finish it because I just couldn't undertstand how anyone could not care / not be up for Ireland because of what happened, which is what the author said.
Just to correct you on the title and author:

Red Mist: Roy Keane And the Irish World Cup Blues - a Fan's Story (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0747570795/qid=1147971362/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/002-6922910-5784063?s=books&v=glance&n=283155) by Conor O'Callaghan

pineapple stu
19/05/2006, 4:44 PM
75 years a history of the FAI (out in 96 or around then)
Interesting book made almost completely, unreadable by Peter Byrne's complete inability to use a, comma properly. Very, irritating. Has a tendency to waffle a bit as well - the section on the 1994 (I think?) World Cup ticket fiasco and the FAI looks like it was just lifted straight from some report or other without any real comment.

onenilgameover
20/05/2006, 8:37 PM
These two any use?

The tom humphries one is a big hard back book with mostly pictures (i wouldnt recomend it) 'whats the story' is stories from those that believe they were the original green army. I think its cliched and kinda boring. The stories are badly written and not that interesting (not that i could do better) one about davy Keogh getting black paint on a hotel carpet. Snooze fest! There was meant to be a new book coming out with fans stories (recent ones) in it? don't know what happened to it. maybe it went down the drain with our 2006 WC hopes..........

Paulie
22/05/2006, 10:05 AM
The tom humphries one is a big hard back book with mostly pictures (i wouldnt recomend it) 'whats the story' is stories from those that believe they were the original green army. I think its cliched and kinda boring. The stories are badly written and not that interesting (not that i could do better) one about davy Keogh getting black paint on a hotel carpet. Snooze fest! There was meant to be a new book coming out with fans stories (recent ones) in it? don't know what happened to it. maybe it went down the drain with our 2006 WC hopes..........

Cheers for that.

Junior
22/05/2006, 5:40 PM
I enjoyed Whats The Story. Admittedly I was much younger then (jaysus I must have read that about 12 years ago) and hadn't started travelling to matches myself so maybe I'd have a different take on it now. To be fair though many of the characters in it were around pre WC90 before the boom in irish soccer.............

el punter
23/05/2006, 1:41 PM
Can't overlook the classics of the early 90s! :)

Captain Fantastic - The Mick McCarthy Story
& OOh AAh Paul McGrath

EastTerracer
01/09/2009, 12:30 AM
I've often wondered when watching RTE whether Gilesie had ever written a biography when half of the no-marks in England (Steve Claridge et al) seemed to have written a book. By chance I just noticed on amazon that Gilesie is about to release an autobiography in October.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/John-Giles-Autobiography-Dreams-Reality/dp/0955029813/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251808336&sr=8-1

There are plenty of recent biographies by Irish players (Keane, McCarthy, Quinn) but going back to the 70s and 80s there were really very few books about Irish international players. I know I have the following books but does anyone remember any others?

Liam Brady by Liam Brady (about 1981) covered the Arsenal years but finished just as Chippy headed to Juventus. I've been waiting for a follow-up ever since. Maybe he'll do an update to include the World Cup in South Africa

Frankly Speaking by Frank Stapleton (1990-ish) - ridiculously titled and no literary classic but I always had a soft spot for Frank so I bought it.

The Eoin Hand Story by Eoin Hand (1986) - a good summary of the Hand year's as Irish manager. A very flimsy production but relives the agony of the '82 non-qualification very clearly. Probably worth a fortune on ebay.

Only A Game by Eamon Dunphy (1976) - classic stuff. If he could have maintained this integrity over the years he would be huge.

I have rakes of stuff from the late-80s and 90s (Ray Houghton's Liverpool Notebook!!!). Dave O'Leary had a pretty inoffensive book out in 1988 which wasn't quite as controversial as his later work.

Is anyone aware of any books about the earlier generation of Irish international players (I know there was a Charlie Hurley book out last year)?

theworm2345
01/09/2009, 2:15 AM
Donal Cullen (who is/was a member over at YBIG) is a writer and has written a few books about the Irish team (though I have never read any of them)

Freestaters (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/features/news.asp?n=31441)
Ireland on the Ball: A Complete Record of the International Matches of the Republic of Ireland Soccer Team, March 1926 to June 1993 (http://product.half.ebay.com/Ireland-on-the-Ball_W0QQprZ5482512QQtgZinfo)

macdermesser
01/09/2009, 9:36 AM
In High Germany by Dermot Bolger .. its a novel and I think it was turned into a play too.

There is a great line in The Van by Roddy Doyle about the penalty shoot out in Genoa .. I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it .. but it's hilarious.

Traps Cat
01/09/2009, 1:20 PM
Two books (Collection of photo's really - so i suppose there an album of sorts) by irish sports photographer Ray Mcmanus - The Road to Europe (1988) and The Road to Italy (1990) are an excellent record of the qualifiers for both.

gspain
01/09/2009, 1:25 PM
Unfortunately well out of print and the updated version still not available (very long story) but Peter Byrne's 75th anniversary official history of the FAI is the definitive read on Irish International football. It is also very accurate (at least I couldn't find any mistakes).

Unfortunately most others have too many mistakes.

NeilMcD
01/09/2009, 2:57 PM
Yeah I bought that one in a book sale in Howth for a pound a few years ago.

pineapple stu
01/09/2009, 2:59 PM
at least I couldn't find any mistakes
Other than the superfluous, commas which litter, the whole book.

Good book but, very very annoying to, read.

EastTerracer
01/09/2009, 4:03 PM
Unfortunately well out of print and the updated version still not available (very long story) but Peter Byrne's 75th anniversary official history of the FAI is the definitive read on Irish International football. It is also very accurate (at least I couldn't find any mistakes).

Unfortunately most others have too many mistakes.

Yeah, I remember hearing that there was an update in the works but it seems to have disappeared.

I do have the original along with a couple of similar efforts (Sean Ryan had something on the history of the Republic of Ireland team I think). Brendan Menton's "Behind the Green Door" was a bit too raw - lots of open wounds and bitterness involved.

"The Book of Irish Goalscorers" was probably from the early-80s but told the stories of people like Paddy Moore as well as many LoI legends (Jackie Jameson, Mick Leech etc).

Stuttgart88
01/09/2009, 9:18 PM
There is a great line in The Van by Roddy Doyle about the penalty shoot out in Genoa .. I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it .. but it's hilarious.The edition I read had Packie Bonner diving to his left to save Timofte's penalty though. Call me pedantic but I think that's a pretty crucial error!

macdermesser
02/09/2009, 10:03 AM
The edition I read had Packie Bonner diving to his left to save Timofte's penalty though. Call me pedantic but I think that's a pretty crucial error!

ha ha .. it was on left side of the telly! The line I was referring to was the lads running on to the pitch soon after.

Drumcondra 69er
02/09/2009, 10:37 AM
Donal Cullen (who is/was a member over at YBIG) is a writer and has written a few books about the Irish team (though I have never read any of them)

Freestaters (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/features/news.asp?n=31441)
Ireland on the Ball: A Complete Record of the International Matches of the Republic of Ireland Soccer Team, March 1926 to June 1993 (http://product.half.ebay.com/Ireland-on-the-Ball_W0QQprZ5482512QQtgZinfo)

Pretty sure I have that complete record book at home. That's going for nearly $200??!!! Mad. Decent record of all our games till then if it's the one I'm thinking of though.

Drumcondra 69er
02/09/2009, 11:01 AM
In High Germany by Dermot Bolger .. its a novel and I think it was turned into a play too.

There is a great line in The Van by Roddy Doyle about the penalty shoot out in Genoa .. I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it .. but it's hilarious.

It was originally a play. Was a one man show in theatres and then RTE did a tv version of it which I still have on VHS at home. It's an excellent play which still gets performed from time to time, if anyone ever sees it on anywhere I'd recommend attending. The book was an abridged version released as part of a series to encourage adult literacy, you'd finish it in half an hour so not exactly a holiday read.

Roddy Doyles best writing on Irish football is an essay called 'Republic is a Beautiful Word' that was originally printed in The Irish Times and then in a post Fever Pitch collction edited by Nick Hornby called 'My Favourite Year' where various writers chronicle their favourite season, it's all about clubs bar Doyle's. It's a very good book and Doyle's piece about Italia 90 is the highlight for me. Not sure if the essay is available online anywhere but I'd recommend checking it out.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Favourite-Year-Collection-Football/dp/0753814412

Wolfie
02/09/2009, 12:47 PM
Roddy Doyles best writing on Irish football is an essay called 'Republic is a Beautiful Word' that was originally printed in The Irish Times and then in a post Fever Pitch collction edited by Nick Hornby called 'My Favourite Year' where various writers chronicle their favourite season, it's all about clubs bar Doyle's. It's a very good book and Doyle's piece about Italia 90 is the highlight for me. Not sure if the essay is available online anywhere but I'd recommend checking it out.

Here's a link to the Roddy Doyle's Italia 90 piece retitled "Jackies Army" but the piece itself is unaltered.

http://dermothardy.com/jackies%20army.html

gspain
03/09/2009, 8:45 AM
Here's a link to the Roddy Doyle's Italia 90 piece retitled "Jackies Army" but the piece itself is unaltered.

http://dermothardy.com/jackies%20army.html

One of the ironies of Ireland in major finals is all the people in pubs sitting there "I wish I'd gone now" and all those abroad in pubs after the game "Wouldn't it be great to be at home now to join in the celebrations?".

Junior
03/09/2009, 9:52 AM
One of the ironies of Ireland in major finals is all the people in pubs sitting there "I wish I'd gone now" and all those abroad in pubs after the game "Wouldn't it be great to be at home now to join in the celebrations?".

I know what you mean, but no matter what, being there is simply unbeatable. The next best thing is being with your mates down the pub enjoying the whole tournament atmoshpere.

Doubt Ill make SA, if indeed we do make it (very young family now) though I might be tempted/allowed to get out for one of the group games on a fleeting visit.

All ifs buts and maybes at this stage though........

Drumcondra 69er
03/09/2009, 9:57 AM

The only World Cup game I've been in Dublin for was the defeat in 94 against Holland which was obviously a bit of a damp squib Was living in London in 90 so watched the games in McGoverns in Kilburn (which was a bit like being back home to be honest but obvioulsy only for teh games and sessions afterwards), was at the first 3 in 94 and all 4 in 2002 so have never had the experience of seeing the nation come to a halt. I do feel I've missed out a bit!

It didn't really catch on to the same degree in 88. Although the homecoming on O'Connell St was good that year the bandwagon had gathered a lot more momentum in 1990!

gspain
03/09/2009, 2:15 PM
The only World Cup game I've been in Dublin for was the defeat in 94 against Holland which was obviously a bit of a damp squib Was living in London in 90 so watched the games in McGoverns in Kilburn (which was a bit like being back home to be honest but obvioulsy only for teh games and sessions afterwards), was at the first 3 in 94 and all 4 in 2002 so have never had the experience of seeing the nation come to a halt. I do feel I've missed out a bit!

It didn't really catch on to the same degree in 88. Although the homecoming on O'Connell St was good that year the bandwagon had gathered a lot more momentum in 1990!

I've always been gone before it started and home after it finished.

An American colleague left work in Galway during the Romania game in 1990 (no interest in football and forgot about the game), he drove across the city convinced there had been a nuclear holocaust and arrived home in a mad panic to discover his wife and daughter watching the game. Monday evening rush hour and there were no people, no cars nothing on the street.

Mr A
03/09/2009, 3:38 PM
Interesting thought process:

*Thinks* It's very quiet.
*Concludes* There's been a nuclear holocaust.
*Paranoia* Typical, nobody even thought to tell me.
*Panics*

Terrible things happen when you skip the *Logic* part of the thought process that might otherwise have raised the question as to why the destructive qualities of nuclear Armageddon had been so curiously oversold.

pineapple stu
03/09/2009, 3:55 PM
Terrible things happen when you skip the *Logic* part of the thought process

I assume he's on foot.ie somewhere so.

thischarmingman
03/09/2009, 6:50 PM
Interesting thought process:

*Thinks* It's very quiet.
*Concludes* There's been a nuclear holocaust.
*Paranoia* Typical, nobody even thought to tell me.
*Panics*

Terrible things happen when you skip the *Logic* part of the thought process that might otherwise have raised the question as to why the destructive qualities of nuclear Armageddon had been so curiously oversold.

Actual 'lol.' I think it was the "Typical..." part. :D

DeNiro
03/09/2009, 8:53 PM
Lawrenson and Brady both had autobiographies in the 1980s. The Garrison Game was another based on FAI/Irish Football.

Stuttgart88
04/09/2009, 9:44 AM
Hopefully "The Road to South Africa" will be out before Christmas.

macdermesser
04/09/2009, 10:08 AM
I've always been gone before it started and home after it finished.

An American colleague left work in Galway during the Romania game in 1990 (no interest in football and forgot about the game), he drove across the city convinced there had been a nuclear holocaust and arrived home in a mad panic to discover his wife and daughter watching the game. Monday evening rush hour and there were no people, no cars nothing on the street.

oh man .. that made me laugh ... haha

Soccer Mom
18/02/2010, 6:04 AM

If you are looking for good historical information then I recommend Donal Cullen's FREESTATERS but it can only be bought directly from the publishers Desert Island Books (and they don't make it easy). If you are looking for more up to date stuff then John Hogan of soccer-ireland.com has a good list of books detailed in his Saipan bibliography.