PDA

View Full Version : Dublin Womens Soccer League Kick Off

Pages : [1] 2

Breifne
16/05/2006, 3:30 PM
Well some interesting games played already, Peamount had a good win yesterday against Templeogue so much for the prophets of doom that have been whispering against the western dublin side. Nice to see they don't seem to have lost any of their ability to win games.

Catherines got a surprise result in dundalk drawing 1-1 on Saturday. rumours are pretty poor regarding Dundalk's demise, and remains to be seen exactly how that will shape up.

UCD overcame a good Raheny side, boasting no fewer than five recent Irish internationals (Senior & Under-19), Olivia O'Toole, Diane Caldwell, Seana Cooke, Noelle O'Brien, Bronagh Sheridan.

UCD were 3-0 (Carmel Kissane 2 & Rachel Jenkins) up after only about twenty minutes, and where in the past teams have folded, Raheny came out fighting, Olivia won a penalty and picked herself up to convert. Raheny really came into the game during the second half when Noelle O'Brien scored towards the end of the game their tails were up, as they pressed for an equaliser, Rachel Jenkins broke to finish the game off almost into injury time.

Full time score 4-2 to UCD. But i think Raheny will cause a number of surprises during the season, and Peamount, UCD and Dundalk will have to be looking over their shoulder all season.

CollegeTillIDie
16/05/2006, 7:48 PM
breifne

I spoke with some St. Catherine's officials at the game last night and they told me about the game in Dundalk. Given that only a Gordon Banks like( i.e. England V Brazil 1970 World Cup) save from Janine Pepper, in the closing second of the game, prevented Dundalk WFC from losing to St. Catherine's I think they will be looking over their shoulders at Templeogue with a view to avoiding the drop! :(

nemi7
17/05/2006, 11:27 AM
i think alot of the teams have gone through some major changes in the last year bu that can only be good for the league and make it more exciting

Numero
20/05/2006, 2:56 PM
Are UCD still the strongest? If they are getting 4 goals against a good side it would seem so. Early days but I'd say it will be UCD again but it's difficult to predict who will be the runner-up in that division, and maybe there'l be a few surprises in the cups

Raheny Red
21/05/2006, 2:33 AM
Yeh, Raheny are a good side with a greatg goalkeeper in Lynn Dowling. The girlfriend plays for Stella Maris so hopefully she doesn't see me typing this :eek: :p

Magicme
22/05/2006, 9:04 AM
Any word on how cup matches are going yet? Mons are in the Junior cup and got thro their first round by beating Walkinstown 5-0 yesterday. They meet St Francis in the next round. What are they like?? The whole womens league is new to us so we dont really know what teams are like.

greenumbro
23/05/2006, 4:07 PM
While Raheny lost 4-2 to UCD, the game could have swung either way as Raheny missed a number of chances to win, if not al least draw the game. Shall be a very interesting league.... ;) Hopefully it can live up to expectations now!

soccerc
23/05/2006, 4:20 PM
Any word on how cup matches are going yet? Mons are in the Junior cup and got thro their first round by beating Walkinstown 5-0 yesterday. They meet St Francis in the next round. What are they like?? The whole womens league is new to us so we dont really know what teams are like.

St Francis are new to womens football too, like yourselves this is their first season - they've lost their opening two games I think?

Breifne
23/05/2006, 4:23 PM
St Francis are new to womens football too, like yourselves this is their first season - they've lost their opening two games I think?

Full Fixtures and Results are available on
http://www.womenssoccerireland.com

Just to let you know Adult Football has been updated, the underage should be up over the course of next weekend, and the WFAI & Leinster Cups should also be available soon. Just getting the cup info at the moment.

Magicme
24/05/2006, 10:05 AM
Great work Breifne.....one thing tho...our result is not quite rite. Goal difference could matter at the end of the season.

I see St Francis are 2 leagues above us so should be a tough enough assignment for the Mons girls in the cup.

Breifne
24/05/2006, 10:09 AM
Great work Breifne.....one thing tho...our result is not quite rite. Goal difference could matter at the end of the season.

I see St Francis are 2 leagues above us so should be a tough enough assignment for the Mons girls in the cup.

I'm open to correction, but don't think goal difference comes into it, it gets settled by a play off at the end of the season. The reason its fifteen is that the system only allows us to input scores that high, call it a design flaw or whatever, but its been okay for the last three years until now.

As far as the St. Francis being two ahead indicates, i think you are in that division as they weren't aware how good or bad you would be, to be fair they are in the same boat. first season. I think you might be a division or three higher for next season if you keep pulling out results like that.

Magicme
24/05/2006, 10:22 AM
Aw grand....thanks for clearing that up....new to the world of womens football and still finding our feet. Cheers!

We were a bit baffled that we were put in the bottom one to be honest as we had beaten a few good teams b4 the season started. We did really well against some of the Norths finest too so we thought maybe we would have been a league higher than the one we are in. Its not fair on our girls in a way coz they just want to play football and be challenged and so far that hasnt really happened. I really hope that St Francis will push our girls to the limit.

monutdfc
24/05/2006, 10:49 AM
There was a regionalisation of the divisions also: the league that MUFC were put in consists of teams from Louth, Meath and north county Dublin as well as ourselves. There are quite a few new teams and so geographic considerations were as much of a factor as trying to match teams to divisions, as it is tough to do with new teams.
Great work with the site Breifne, good luck with it.

Breifne
24/05/2006, 10:53 AM
Aw grand....thanks for clearing that up....new to the world of womens football and still finding our feet. Cheers!

We were a bit baffled that we were put in the bottom one to be honest as we had beaten a few good teams b4 the season started. We did really well against some of the Norths finest too so we thought maybe we would have been a league higher than the one we are in. Its not fair on our girls in a way coz they just want to play football and be challenged and so far that hasnt really happened. I really hope that St Francis will push our girls to the limit.

To be fair its probably better to be in a lower division winning well than getting put into a top division and struggling, especially at the start of a club, both the club and the league will have a better idea of where to put you next year.

Best of luck, and you never know, an WFAI Junior Cup or DWSL Shield Win would look nice up in Century homes park. do you play there by the way.

Magicme
24/05/2006, 11:30 AM
To be fair its probably better to be in a lower division winning well than getting put into a top division and struggling, especially at the start of a club, both the club and the league will have a better idea of where to put you next year.

Best of luck, and you never know, an WFAI Junior Cup or DWSL Shield Win would look nice up in Century homes park. do you play there by the way.

Yeah they play at CHP so any silverware will be proudly displayed in the Clubhouse.

monutdfc.....I knew it was regionalised...but there is a Nth & Sth in each division was just wondering if we should have been put in one division higher in the Nth section obviously.

monutdfc
24/05/2006, 11:37 AM
monutdfc.....I knew it was regionalised...but there is a Nth & Sth in each division was just wondering if we should have been put in one division higher in the Nth section obviously.
Yeah, but it's not just regionalised North/South, Inter 4 North is all sides from Louth, Meath and north County Dublin*, whereas inter 3 North has more Dublin-based teams, this was done on purpose.

*EDIT: plus ourselves of course.

Magicme
24/05/2006, 11:44 AM
Yeah, bit it's not just regionalised North/South, Inter 4 North is all sides from Louth, Meath and north County Dublin, whereas inter 3 North has more Dublin-based teams, this was done on purpose.

Aw right.....not so bad then!

Raheny Red
24/05/2006, 2:30 PM
Full Fixtures and Results are available on
http://www.womenssoccerireland.com

Just to let you know Adult Football has been updated, the underage should be up over the course of next weekend, and the WFAI & Leinster Cups should also be available soon. Just getting the cup info at the moment.

Nice neat site there - good work :)

Though I can't seem to get in to the forum :confused:

Breifne
24/05/2006, 2:38 PM
Though I can't seem to get in to the forum :confused:

Thanks,
yeah, doing a bit of work on the site, unfortunately it's a case of the old story, bit busy in work and have to put it on the back burner for a bit. Should be all hunky dory over the next week or so.

Raheny Red
24/05/2006, 4:04 PM
No problem at all. I'll keep an eye on it so I can impress the girlfriend with up to date results :cool:

Breifne
24/05/2006, 4:06 PM
No problem at all. I'll keep an eye on it so I can impress the girlfriend with up to date results :cool:

I know a few of the ladies from Stella, any clue as to who she is, is she studying in DIT or Trinity.

Raheny Red
24/05/2006, 4:53 PM
Nope, she doesn't go to college, her name is Jess.

Magicme
25/05/2006, 10:18 AM

Awww sweet....or maybe its a case of anything to keep her in a good mood! :D

Raheny Red
26/05/2006, 2:37 AM
:D

I actually have not been to one of her games in a while so I might go to watch her game against Bray Wander(ettes)ers :)

greenumbro
28/05/2006, 5:37 PM
Raheny beat Dundalk 3-0 in Premier today... Still looks lkike it could eb an exciting league!

Numero
28/05/2006, 6:10 PM
Yeah but haven't Dundalk split or something? Looking at the results they cannot be the side they were last season, so they are probably totally out of the running. The league looks like it will be between UCD, Peamount and Raheny. UCD haven't lost so far, not sure who would win between Peamount and Raheny, that could be very even

Breifne
28/05/2006, 11:39 PM
The league looks like it will be between UCD, Peamount and Raheny. UCD haven't lost so far, not sure who would win between Peamount and Raheny, that could be very even

UCD beat Raheny on the opening day of the season, although the northsiders could easily have snuck a result from the game. UCD play Peamount tomorrow which should be interesting, and a good indicator of where both teams are. Peamount have lost a number of players, but their results have been excellent so far. Raheny had a good 6-0 victory over a touring Bristol Rovers side last week, UCD only managed 2-1, not that it really means much.

It could be a close league this season.

CollegeTillIDie
29/05/2006, 7:50 AM
Benfica kicked off their campaign with an 8-1 win over Templeogue United yesterday. They were idle in week 1 and rained off in week 2. Yesterday they were missing full Republic of Ireland international midfielder Emma Griffin, regular defender Martina Cashin; and winger Linda Douglas who is doing the Leaving Cert and won't be available again till late June.

greenumbro
29/05/2006, 12:07 PM
Yes, Numero, Dundalk have split, with Dundalk Fc remaining in Premier, and Dundalk City being in Premier 1 (I think, or visa versa?) Raheny r playing the other dundalk in prem A on wednesday... :eek: From what I believe, the majority of the Dundalk team are still playing premier, with the exception of only a couple of players... Raheny were missing 5 key players yesterday which makes it an even better result for them! Yea, both UCD-Peamount and Peamount-Raheny shall be interesting? Breifne, any idea when Raheny-Peamount is to be played??? :confused:

Breifne
29/05/2006, 12:13 PM
Breifne, any idea when Raheny-Peamount is to be played??? :confused:

Peamount V Raheny - 12 / June
Raheny V Peamount - 31 / July

Numero
29/05/2006, 4:50 PM
Regarding Dundalk in premier, I dont know why their results are so poor then if they havent lost many players. Even though they were not excitin they were solid and had probably best defence in premier. Anyway...

As for Peamount, they have also lost players? But their results are still good...

greenumbro
29/05/2006, 6:11 PM
Thanks Breifne.
Well, like I said Numero, I'm not exactly sure who is with premier and premier A regards Dundalk... The Premiers team defense did not seem too solid yday, as the score of 3-0 could have been quite a bit higher as the Raheny girls let many chances go astray, a problem which Raheny had against UCD too and must work on I think...
Ah, who have Peamount played to date? Yea, they have lost some key players due to injury and players leaving... I was talking to a number of their key players recently and they said themselves that they will be struggling this yr... So I guess we just have to wait and see, I suppose it's a bit early to being speculating yet, the UCD-Peamount match tonight and the then Raheny and P'mount in June could tell alot... ;) Still could be a great few months of football!!!! :cool:

Numero
29/05/2006, 9:54 PM
Any word on the UCD-Peamount match??

Breifne
30/05/2006, 9:22 AM
Any word on the UCD-Peamount match??

Great result for Peamount, not so hot for UCD. 1-0 to the home side. pushes them ahead of the chasing pack.

Bit of a weird game. both sides started brightly with a few chances at either end. Rachel Jenkins brought a few good stops out of Linda Meehan, who was without doubt the best player on either side. She pulled off some outstanding saves, never once looking less than solid.

UCD had the majority of possession and chances, but with Meehan in fantastic form and Peamount having a never say die attitude, they capitalised on a UCD mistake at the back, and a quick break, the ball ended up in the UCD net after a great run from Anne ?? (No 10) she got around the UCD keeper and slotted the ball home. Despite a bundle of pressure from UCD for the last half hour we just couldn't get past Meehan.

UCD did have two goals disallowed in the first half for offside. The first one was from a corner where the ball was played in short, and it broke back to Sylvia Gee on the edge of the box, she took the ball around the defender, and Carmel Kissane was standing on the end line way off to the side of the goal. No attempt was made to pass the ball to her, or she was in no way interfering in ball. The Lineswoman put her flag up before the cross even came in. It was when Sylvia pulled the ball back, she never passed it though, she retained possession, her cross back into the box was coolly finished by Rachel Jenkins, but the assistant referee (who looked like she was officiating at her first game) made a mistake, (she also seemed reluctent to signal for goal kicks, corners and throw ins, even when the ball crossed the line.)

The second was debateable, 50/50 decision went against us, thats fair enough.

All in all, UCD had the chances to win the game, and didn't. Credit Peamount for a fine victory, should be interesting to see what happens with the Peamount V Raheny clash in a few weeks. Interesting to see a few Rahenyites at the game last night.

justpassin
30/05/2006, 11:44 AM
Great win for Peamount last night wasn't at the game but heard the peamount keeper was outstanding! The league is looking very exciting at the moment! The peamount - raheny game will be very interesting if peamount win it they could go all the way if they keep getting the results.Good to see there doing well as there was a lot of talk that they wouldn't be great this season?

When are peamount and raheny playing each other?

Raheny Red
30/05/2006, 11:58 AM
Stella Maris V Bray Wanderers, the home side ran out convincing winners. Good start to the season for Stella with 6 points from 2 games. Should be a good contest between them and their rivals Raheny (B)

Breifne
30/05/2006, 12:10 PM
Stella Maris V Bray Wanderers, the home side ran out convincing winners. Good start to the season for Stella with 6 points from 2 games. Should be a good contest between them and their rivals Raheny (B)

any chance of a result

Countryripple
30/05/2006, 2:25 PM
9-1 TO Stella i heard. Blown up 30 mins early apparently.

greenumbro
30/05/2006, 2:55 PM
Greatw in for Peamount... Esp as mentioned, tehre was so much talk of them been "out of it" this yr before the league even began!!! Look forward to the Raheny-Peamount game now... How have Dundalk done in their other games? Have UCD just played the two games?
Graet win for Stella too... Could eb another interesting league... Raheny B have yet to play a game with their first 3 games being cancelled due to the bad weather!!!! :(

greenumbro
30/05/2006, 2:57 PM
Is this the same stella team that played in the Winter League in the AUL????

Breifne
30/05/2006, 3:17 PM
Just to let you know, that all results and fixtures are available on www.womenssoccerireland.com (http://www.womenssoccerireland.com)

CollegeTillIDie
30/05/2006, 8:24 PM
Well one possible reason for the poor results of Dundalk is the split has seen their Cup winning coach move to the breakaway Dundalk City (2006) club.

Raheny Red
30/05/2006, 8:28 PM
any chance of a result

Finished 9-1, I didn't put the result in because I thought it was frowned upon :o

Magicme
31/05/2006, 9:51 AM
Monaghan United Ladies got a bye in the League Cup as Kildare decided not to play them.

greenumbro
31/05/2006, 4:02 PM
Maybe that could be another reason alright CTID... I guess we'll see tonight how Dundalk City are getting on this year... may be another indication towards how things aer gonna pan out... It's a pity that such a strong/good team like Dundalk would split like that-especially just before going to Europe! :confused:

greenumbro
31/05/2006, 4:08 PM
Here's a question for ya.... Dundalk play all their matches on a sunday because it's too difficult for Dublin teams to get all teh way to Dundalk for 7.00 on a monday due to work, traffic, school, college etc however the premier A league must play Dundalk on a Monday!!!??? :mad: Do the Premier A girls not work/travel etc they exact same way as the Premier girls???? :confused:
Just seems a bit unfair???

CollegeTillIDie
31/05/2006, 8:10 PM
Here's a question for ya.... Dundalk play all their matches on a sunday because it's too difficult for Dublin teams to get all teh way to Dundalk for 7.00 on a monday due to work, traffic, school, college etc however the premier A league must play Dundalk on a Monday!!!??? :mad: Do the Premier A girls not work/travel etc they exact same way as the Premier girls???? :confused:
Just seems a bit unfair???

Bit of background here. Monday was the traditional night for Women's football in Dublin. Benfica( Waterford) joined the League in 1997 and were the first team from outside the capital to play in the Premier Division and also to play on Sundays.
Dundalk joined the League a few years later and Sunday became their day to play home games. Now in the Premier Raheny United are also playing games at home on a Sunday so that's 3 out of 7 teams.

Premier A have never played on Sunday's with the exception of the season Dundalk City ( the original United one which went on to win the Cup) were in the League. They have been in the top flight for 5 years now at this stage.
Dundalk City(2006 the breakaway club) are now operating in the Division. And yes it does seem unfair, but a lot of it is down to the people running the clubs in that Division and their reluctance to co-operate with one another on these issues.

Countryripple
01/06/2006, 10:01 AM
I think all the divisions should play their matches on a sunday or saturday. Its such a pain in the face trying to organise people getting from work, school, college etc. Its also annoying for whoever is in charge of the teams having to be interupted in work with phone calls etc. if the games were on a weekend morning or evening it would be far less stressful to have everything and everyone organised.Its also a pain having to lug your kit bag into work on a monday morning!!! :rolleyes:

Thats my opinion on it anyway ;)

Magicme
01/06/2006, 10:26 AM
Monaghan United take on Trim Celtic on Monday nite at 7.45pm at Century Homes Park. Looking forward to it!

Raheny Red
01/06/2006, 3:58 PM
Last night's cup game between Stella Maris and Templelouge United ended up 6-3 to Stella!