PDA

View Full Version : RTE announce World Cup line up

Pauro 76
16/05/2006, 2:12 PM
http://eleven-a-side.com/worldcup/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=22538

Graeme Souness????? :confused: Hope they've got Craig Bellamy as surprise guest just for the laugh... Kenny Cunningham should be good value especially after his rant against Brum City last week!

Dodge
16/05/2006, 2:17 PM
Seen souness doa few champions league games on Sky and he's not the worst. Fairly detailed analysis if not the most exciting...

drummerboy
16/05/2006, 2:19 PM
Looks like a great line-up. Getting Dermot Gallagher is an interesting development for RTE. Well done.

pete
16/05/2006, 2:24 PM
Ger Canning & Jim Beglin doing commentary with Ray Houghton & Graeme Souness as pundits must be the A list lineout :D

gustavo
16/05/2006, 2:26 PM
Ahh Ger Canning , expect plenty of GAA isms then!
Souness - the man who can improve the fortunes of a club simply by leaving it. But i'm guessing he wont be as bad of a pundit now he wont have that gimp Jamie Redknapp beside him.

beautifulrock
16/05/2006, 3:03 PM
Not bad at all it has to be said. Jimmy Magee is some man, 11 world cups, must be a world record. Apres Match as well.

OwlsFan
18/05/2006, 11:19 AM
Interesting part is:

Dermot Gallagher, who will give his own insight into refereeing performances during the tournament.

At last someone to stick up for the poor old ref.

el punter
10/06/2006, 6:39 PM
The 'B' Team with Collins, Irwin and Cunningham is absolutely dreadful. Collins should be left on the F1 jolly he's got. They are covering the greatest show on earth with the kind of enthusiasm one might expect to see at a grass growing contest.

soccerc
10/06/2006, 7:14 PM
Collins should be left on the F1 jolly he's got.

Peter Collins doesn't do FI jollies - RTE broadcast MotoGP i.e Motorbikes, where their coverage is excellent

el punter
10/06/2006, 8:03 PM
Peter Collins doesn't do FI jollies - RTE broadcast MotoGP i.e Motorbikes, where their coverage is excellent

He did do the F1 at one stage though? Or am I imagining all this??? :o

Dodge
11/06/2006, 9:31 AM
Aye, stopped about 2 years ago. Souness was way better than I thought he'd be

thejollyrodger
11/06/2006, 9:33 AM
its all pretty tame so far... Pity RTE couldnt get someone on who had something really to say and had a big attitude problem:) That should liven things up !

$Leon$
11/06/2006, 11:36 AM
Not bad at all it has to be said. Jimmy Magee is some man, 11 world cups, must be a world record. Apres Match as well.

I think Jimmy reckons were at the World Cup. During the opening ceremony during the flags parade he said "There you see the Irish Flag". No mention of the fact thats it was the the Ivory Coast flag.
As for Johnny Giles, during the opening match Johnny forgot who was playing. He started talking about the Porto Rican team.
Brady is keeping very quiet, letting Dunphy and Souness do most of the talking.

eirebhoy
11/06/2006, 12:25 PM
As for Johnny Giles, during the opening match Johnny forgot who was playing. He started talking about the Porto Rican team.
That sums the man up. :) He's not very knowledgable with today's football either I must say.

Dodge
11/06/2006, 1:14 PM
That sums the man up. :) He's not very knowledgable with today's football either I must say.
Yeah but he's still easilty the best analyst around

pete
11/06/2006, 2:49 PM
RTE arev truelly obcessed with England - they find time to talk about them even when they are not playing. Anyone tell them there are 31 other teams?

The knowledge of non-Premiership players is also terrible. Why can't they inform me about players that I don't see that much? Even non-Premiership players are discussed in comparison with their former english club or because they played an english team once. :(

Brady may not be the best pundit but at least makes an effort to educate himself about "foreign" players.

Giles & Dunphy should be put out to pasture as nothing new to say in last 10 years.

BBC are just as bad - has Ian Wright ever added to a discussion beyond blantant england flag waving or some lame joke?

OwlsFan
11/06/2006, 5:35 PM
Nothing changes on the RTE panel. DUnphy tries to be controversial and O'Herlihy laughs at his jokes. Giles moans about professional players of today. I think Cunningham is ok being new to it but not sure about Kinsella - just agreed with everything DUnphy said, including the significance of Montenego voting to secede on the performance of Serbia Montenego :eek: which was exacty like all peformances of Yugoslavia of old - cautious and defensive. Dunphy loves to go on about suspect defences - S&M barely tested the Dutch defence and yet their defence is "suspect".

I thought Hansen and O'Neill are better than RTE ignoring Wright who is a buffoon of the Drunkphy variety. ITV - well Gabby Yorath is better to look at than Laughing Bill ;)

pete
11/06/2006, 5:44 PM
I think Cunningham is ok being new to it but not sure about Kinsella - just agreed with everything DUnphy said, including the significance of Montenego voting to secede on the performance of Serbia Montenego

I thought that was hilarious. BBC informed me that 22 of the 23 man squad for S&M were from Serbia & the 1 guy born on Montenegro considered himself Serbian. How is the vote suppose to influence them with numbers like that. Besides Montenegro was a friend of Serbia & not likely to be a bitter divorce.

Kinsella was a bit dodgy but gets a pass was he a newbie. They should have got Matt Holland who i've seen on BBC3 doing the African Nations Cup & he was fairly knowledgable.

Giles must have seen an opportunity to get free travel to Germany to try out their golf courses :D

eirebhoy
11/06/2006, 5:54 PM
I have to say, I've been really impressed with Dunphy so far. He's definitely doing his research and is talking a lot of sense. He is reading up on the players he's going to be analysing unlike Giles. Keep it up Eamon! :)

bluemovie
11/06/2006, 6:27 PM
its all pretty tame so far...

Did you see the intro to the England game? Dunphy reading the Telegraph editorial about how God is English. "There's no irony in that. The Daily Telegraph doesn't do irony". He was in rare form. Even Souey started to join in. "Just because they beat the Dog n Duck 6-0 last week, they think they'll win the World Cup".

As for Gilesy, he doesn't know the names, details of current players, but his knowledge of the game itself is impeccable. He's one of the shrewdest judges of players and styles. He can rate a player within minutes of seeing him and nearly always calls it right. He'd be a brilliant scout. He gets genuinely frustrated too when teams don't do what to him is obvious.

OwlsFan
12/06/2006, 8:51 AM
Giles mumbles a lot in commentary (too many G & Ts) and it's hard to make out what he's saying.

RTE are a bit negative about most games. It's as if they decide to go the opposite to the SKy hype of the Premiership. I really enjoyed the Angola vs Portugal game yet I was informed by the RTE Panel that it wasn't much of a game :rolleyes:

Denis Irwin is quite articulate and Kenny as well. Collins is actually a soccer supporter and knows his football but he is alas a plank but the B Panel are doing ok.