PDA

View Full Version : Setanta Coverage

Donegalcelt
16/05/2006, 12:49 PM
I know this has been probably been discussed here a million times but i only got setanta myself a couple of weeks ago (i live in the country and have never heard of ntl) ;) and was pleasantly surprised by their coverage. i'll certainly keep up the subscription. there's a decent balance between the commentators and, (is it des curran?), seems to actually know what he's on about. Only a few weeks ago, I remember watching Jim Beglin and George Hamilton try and pass off some pigeon knowledge of the EL from Turner's Cross. Is it just me that thinks that? It's amazing as i think tv3 do very little in the form of research at all and seem to try the fob off. EL followers have it hard enough (especially in Donegal!) without this uneducated rubbish. My da, a sligo fan, says that pat scully has about two things to say about rovers (i) good addition to premier league (ii) hard top beat at home, and says them every week.
Not sure about Pat dolan as an achorman for setanta though, he seems to try and get involved too much and i'm not sure if he's in the Billo role or the Pat Spillane role. Mind you with him and Healy, there's always a bit of craic a bit like Dunphy and the lads for Internationals or even George Hook for the rugby.
The old pub type debate/arguement seems the best and we in ireland may have perfected it.

drummerboy
16/05/2006, 12:57 PM
Think Setanta has been a great addition for sports fans. Really enjoy coverage of many sports and the daily Hub show is really informed and interesting views expressed. However I am a little worried about the way the station is going. With the introduction of Setanta 1 and 2, I was just wondering what games they are going to make pay-for-vew in the future.

pineapple stu
16/05/2006, 12:59 PM
There was a bit in the Irish Times on Friday on them getting the Premiership rights and it said that Setanta wouldn't be going down the pay-per-view route at all. They're looking to increases subscriptions significantly, certainly in the short- to medium-term.

Rory H
16/05/2006, 1:15 PM
right about pat ...and osam doesnt have a clue...they should ask him about st pats and the top 3 and leave the rest to scully...

Donegalcelt
16/05/2006, 1:25 PM
Yeah, defo. the thing about setanta is they seem to move with the times. last night's EL weekly could be shown in six months and it'd still be the same opinions basically - "I don't think Pat Fenlon has found a balanced side yet," "Sligo are a good addition to the Premier," "Drogheda dont concede much, but they don't score much either."
Brian Hamilton even talks a lot (too much sometimes) but has an enthusiasm about him. Let's face it, if the broadcasters have no enthusiasm about what they're doing, it's hard for the viewer. Take note TV3, their whole football coverage needs a bit of personality, or even Pat and Paul to stir things every once in a while.

Dodge
16/05/2006, 1:33 PM
Just a couple of things lads, Setanta haven't introduced two channels for pay per view, S1 and S2 are their English channels (the ones who have recently won two premiership contracts)

Oh and NOTHING is stopping any TV station from showing more EL. All TV contracts are non exclusive and anybody can show the footage. The simple fact is only TV3 want to show the highlight package (however half arsed)

Oh and Osam is great on TV

Rory H
16/05/2006, 1:43 PM
great on tv?

ok yes doctors are describing it as a big breakthrough in the "find a cure for insomnia" research but great is too far

Dodge
16/05/2006, 1:49 PM
So he doesn't care about Sligo, get over it...

Donegalcelt
16/05/2006, 1:52 PM
AFAIK the clubs have to give their own footage of their home games. That's why the only first division is shams, occasionally galway and sligo last year. I know the First Div isn't the greatest but that approach is certainly half-assed.

Rory H
16/05/2006, 1:54 PM
yeah the guy who does it for us was giving out to me about editing the harps game for sports tonight and how he will struggle to do it on time....

sullanefc
16/05/2006, 1:56 PM
Oh and Osam is great on TV

Osam = zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Dodge
16/05/2006, 1:58 PM
Its less than half arsed but the point they make is that they're not going to cover the division but if people want to send in the footage, they'll show it., Seems fair enough to me.

Back to the main point, Setanta's coverage of a live el game is excellent. A proper preview show and decent analysis after. Having Dolan doing it at least ensures entuasiasm. One thing you never got on RTE

pete
16/05/2006, 2:16 PM
Keep it on topic folks.

Back to the main point, Setanta's coverage of a live el game is excellent. A proper preview show and decent analysis after. Having Dolan doing it at least ensures entuasiasm. One thing you never got on RTE

I agree. For a station that is newly created & meer novices in eL terms they have come on in leaps & bounds. Setanta seem genuinely enthiuasistic about the eL compared to RTE approach which includes cheery picking the FAI Cup semis, final & last day of the season. In fact RTE only showed Cork City v Bohs because the FAI wanted them to show a game at the start of the season.

I emailed RTE (see previous thread) on sh!te City v Bohs coverage & they just came up with the same tired excuses. I must get around to sending Setanta a complement on their eL coverage & i'd advise others to do so too.

The post match interviews are a good idea too as increased the media profile of managers & players as puts a face to the name.

sullanefc
16/05/2006, 2:28 PM
Keep it on topic folks.
I emailed RTE (see previous thread) on sh!te City v Bohs coverage & they just came up with the same tired excuses. I must get around to sending Setanta a complement on their eL coverage & i'd advise others to do so too.

The post match interviews are a good idea too as increased the media profile of managers & players as puts a face to the name.

Setanta's coverage is good alright. I just hope they don't forget about the EL with their new premiership deals.

One criticism I would have is that they don't show the post match reactions when they show the repeats. IMO, these are as important as the game itself. They would argue that they can't due to time constraints but they could easily cut down the match length and show an extended highlights version.

Maybe you could mention this in your email pete ;)

drummerboy
16/05/2006, 2:32 PM
Just a couple of things lads, Setanta haven't introduced two channels for pay per view, S1 and S2 are their English channels (the ones who have recently won two premiership contracts)

So if you want to see Premiership coverage on Setanta you will have to subscribe separately. For example a person who picks up Setanta with their NTL digital or NTL analogue, will have to pay to see new channels. I could be wrong but imagine I'm not.

Ceirtlis
16/05/2006, 2:36 PM
Pat Dolan is useless in the anchorman role or scrap that pretty much useless althoghter. He gets way to excited and loses the run of himself last nite being the perfect example. he asks felix healy about george o callaghans goal and before the man has barely got out a word dolan starts shouting at him. he is always banging on about passion as well i would honestly prefer roddy collins. As for Hamilton he comes out with ludicrous statements like "just wide" for a ball that has nearly hit the corner flag. I thought liam buckley was good on commentry last night tho and setanta's coverage of the game itself was good.

Dodge
16/05/2006, 2:49 PM
So if you want to see Premiership coverage on Setanta you will have to subscribe separately. For example a person who picks up Setanta with their NTL digital or NTL analogue, will have to pay to see new channels. I could be wrong but imagine I'm not.
I'd imagine you could well be right as they're two totally separate channels. For ease I'll cal them Setanta Ireland and Setanta UK.

At the moment Setanta Ireland has Irish rights to some English Premiership games (shared with RTE), Scottish League games, Italian League games and of course eL games (shared rights), formula grand prix and loads of other sports

Setanta Uk has UK rights to Italian football (shared with bravo - ironically usually show different game to Setanta Ireland), French Football, German Football, Dutch football and the GAA. They showed the Setanta Cup final on Setanta 2 but don't generally. In the last couple of weeks they have secured UK roghts to some premiership games live

Currently NTL customers get Setanta Ireland as part of basic package but for an extra €8 a month can get the the UK channels packaged as Setanta Xtra1 and Setanta Xtra2

Sky customoers can subscribe to all channels.

Now BSkyB have signed an agreement which will see Setanta UK carried as part of the sports pack on Sky Digital at no axtra cost to their subscribers (as it means they can still advertise that pack as away to see all Premiership games). I'd Imagine that subsribers to Sky Sports on NTL might get Setanta 1 and Setanta 2 at no axtra cost to keep NTL in line with Sky but they may keep that €8 a month charge. Not sure where this leaves Setanta Ireland on sky but if they win Irish rights to premiership, they might go into the Sky Sports Pack knowing that loss of subscribtions should be more than made up in increased advertising

pete
16/05/2006, 2:49 PM
Setanta won the TV rights for the premiership in the UK. AFAIK the irish rights have not been auctioned yet.

BohDiddley
16/05/2006, 3:42 PM
there's a decent balance between the commentators and, (is it des curran?), seems to actually know what he's on about.
Think it is Des Curran, and I have to say he's superb. Clearly knows the game and cares about it.

Stevo Da Gull
16/05/2006, 11:30 PM
Generally speaking I reckon Setanta's EL coverage (+Setanta cup obviously) is top notch.
Also I really enjoy EL weekly (most weeks), Scully and Osam are the first balanced team that they've had and I reckon they work well.

pete
17/05/2006, 9:45 AM
The only issue i would have with Setanta is there is almost no coverage of the eL on the Hub - in fact i;ve only seen Setanta Cup coverage twice & never eL. And before anyone mentions they cover loads of sports that they don't have footage of. In fact that show seems 50% GAA...

A face
17/05/2006, 3:01 PM
FAI need to sort out their own media company and control what is seen .... its the only way it'll work, anything else then all parts of football will suffer except national team.

ccfcgirl
18/05/2006, 3:47 PM
I think Setanta are doing very well with League Of Ireland soccer....In Munster we have a chorus channel and it has a weekly show which shows league of Ireland games ..

pineapple stu
18/05/2006, 3:55 PM
FAI need to sort out their own media company and control what is seen
They have one, I think. Bridge something-or-other. Maybe one of the lads more in the know might confirm/call me deluded?

el punter
19/05/2006, 10:03 AM
The only issue i would have with Setanta is there is almost no coverage of the eL on the Hub - in fact i;ve only seen Setanta Cup coverage twice & never eL. And before anyone mentions they cover loads of sports that they don't have footage of. In fact that show seems 50% GAA...

There's a ridiculous amount of rugby on it...and heaps of Premiership (from an Irish angle of course) :rolleyes:

lofty9
20/05/2006, 5:12 PM
I see tonights game Derry v Cork is on Setanta Ireland and Setanta sports 1. Does this mean it can be viewed in England, Wales and Scotland?

pól-dcfc
20/05/2006, 7:12 PM
Yes, it's on everywhere that has Setanta.

theworm2345
21/05/2006, 12:47 AM
I wish they showed EL games on Setanta USA. But at least we get all of the internationals. I also wish we got EPL :(

pregsis
21/05/2006, 3:00 PM
I'm a newcomer to EL but live in England. Would anybody know whether there is some sort of soccerstream that would allow us to watch a live EL match over the internet?