PDA

View Full Version : Dutch Squad

londonirish17
15/05/2006, 6:42 AM
Keepers :
Van der Sar
Stekelenburg
Timmer

Back players :Khalid Boulahrouz, Giovanni van Bronckhorst, Tim de Cler, Johnny Heitinga, Kew Jaliens, Jan Kromkamp, Joris Mathijsen, André Ooijer.

Midfield :
Mark van Bommel, Phillip Cocu, Denny Landzaat, Hedwiges Maduro, Wesley Sneijder, Rafael van der Vaart.

Strikers :
Ryan Babel, Dirk Kuyt, Ruud van Nistelrooy, Robin van Persie, Arjen Robben, Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink.

Just thought that Romeo Castelen and Klaas Jan Huntelaar would make it

CollegeTillIDie
15/05/2006, 7:06 AM
Keepers :
Van der Sar
Stekelenburg
Timmer

Back players :Khalid Boulahrouz, Giovanni van Bronckhorst, Tim de Cler, Johnny Heitinga, Kew Jaliens, Jan Kromkamp, Joris Mathijsen, André Ooijer.

Midfield :
Mark van Bommel, Phillip Cocu, Denny Landzaat, Hedwiges Maduro, Wesley Sneijder, Rafael van der Vaart.

Strikers :
Ryan Babel, Dirk Kuyt, Ruud van Nistelrooy, Robin van Persie, Arjen Robben, Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink.

Just thought that Romeo Castelen and Klaas Jan Huntelaar would make it

Won't win the World Cup... Johnny Lyons 98 FM please note!

Coltron
15/05/2006, 8:01 AM
In fairness CTID, football isn't won on paper. Why do you feel they won't win it? What is there first team and who do you feel isn't good enough? I would be interested to know because I don't recognise some of the names, even the starting eleven I couldn't pick but going on what I've seen, results they have had and the manager I they they have a much better chance than other teams who look a lot better in print.

They're qualification record was excellent. They played as a team, defended and attacked very well and have the right mentality. They have the strongest group and might not get out of it. I think they will along with Argentina and if they do they will be one of the hardest sides to beat.

Even recent history has shown football fans that you don't need a team of stars to win a major trophy - what you need is the team as the star. The Netherlands understand this.

londonirish17
15/05/2006, 9:30 AM
In fairness CTID, football isn't won on paper. Why do you feel they won't win it? What is there first team and who do you feel isn't good enough? I would be interested to know because I don't recognise some of the names, even the starting eleven I couldn't pick but going on what I've seen, results they have had and the manager I they they have a much better chance than other teams who look a lot better in print.

They're qualification record was excellent. They played as a team, defended and attacked very well and have the right mentality. They have the strongest group and might not get out of it. I think they will along with Argentina and if they do they will be one of the hardest sides to beat.

Even recent history has shown football fans that you don't need a team of stars to win a major trophy - what you need is the team as the star. The Netherlands understand this.

These players should make the starting 11 :

VdS

Heitinga Boulahrouz Oijer Gio

Sneijder VdV Landzaat

Kuyt VN Robben

The past often revealed that there were many problems between players born in Surinam and mainland Holland.
This seems to belong definitely to the past as their redords showed during the qualification campaign...

pete
15/05/2006, 10:02 AM
A lot less househld names than in the past. Doesn't mean they won't do well though.

CollegeTillIDie
15/05/2006, 10:02 PM
In fairness CTID, football isn't won on paper. Why do you feel they won't win it?

Three words Completely crap defence!

gustavo
15/05/2006, 10:25 PM
I have a feeling Holland will do very well this time .

Coltron
16/05/2006, 5:27 AM
Can you expand that a bit. Where are they weak? For example are they slow, poor in the air, uncoordinated or lack experience? How do you explain their record in the qualifiers? Where are they good?

I was under the impression that Cocu was played in centre mid as a ball winning type? I think can they adapt easily to a 4-4-2 to aswell?

Have to admit too that in every World Cup there's a team who does better than people expect and whose defence could be labeled "completely crap" but for whatever reason, it seems to happen.

DmanDmythDledge
17/05/2006, 1:15 PM
These players should make the starting 11 :

Sneijder VdV Landzaat

Van Bommell?

gustavo
17/05/2006, 7:30 PM
i presume VdV is Van der Vaart
in response to Coltron
i think they will do well cos they have a lot of talent going forward and they seem like a good settled squad with a lot of the more incendiary characters left out

brine3
23/05/2006, 6:20 PM
I think Van Basten is very cocky leaving out Huntelaar, Makaay and Davids. Leaving out Huntelaar is especially stupid, he got something like 50 goals in 52 matches this season in all competitions. Dirk Kuijt or Vennegoor of Hesselink's totals don't even come near that, even when added together.

Players like Babel, De Cler, Jaliens, Maduro and Venegoor of Hesselink shouldn't even be near the squad.

Bhoularouz is the only decent defender they have. Remember that the likes of Ooijer couldn't even get near the squad during previous tournaments.

Urby Emanuelson is, in my opinion, the best Dutch left back but isn't in the squad either.

They could do well but they are in a very difficult group so could just as easily be on the bus home after three matches.

DmanDmythDledge
23/05/2006, 6:22 PM
I know it's a bold prediction but rule out Holland finishing bottom of their group.

brine3
23/05/2006, 6:26 PM
I wouldn't rule out any four of the teams in that group finishing bottom.

Ivory Coast are ANC finalists, and everybody has seen how good Ebouye and Kolo Toure are. Plus they have Kalou, Drogba and Kone up front.

Serbia and Montenegro conceded only one goal in qualification and finished top of their group ahead of Spain. Vidic will be suspended for the opening match against Holland though.

gustavo
23/05/2006, 9:55 PM
From what ive seen of Hesselink he is a clogger bit like a Dutch Carsten Jancker

Coltron
24/05/2006, 3:13 PM
Holland probably have the best qualifing record of any team coming into this World Cup. Now that is eary to dismiss but I have to base my opinion of something. Just because some teams like Spain have devalued the European Qualifing to some extent doesn't make the useless. Holland have also a record of disagreement in their history and also of being "bottlers" so they are never going to be favourites but it will have to take a fair degree of this to happen if they are to finish bottom. Take into account VanBastan has left out a lot of the bigger egos so many players in this squad should be very apprecieative of the chance he has given them.

Whatever about the players he left out these players got Holland to the WC so rather than being cocky maybe he is trusting in what has gone before. A player with an excellent goal scoring record points to him being a great finisher among other attributes but it would suggest to me that he is not a true team player (I know the counter arguement I'm just saying).

brine3
27/05/2006, 8:29 AM
Klaas-Jan Huntelaar hasn't been left behind because of his attitude, he is one of the soundest blokes in football. Huntelaar isn't a complete player, I'll give you that, but neither was Gerd Muller. (the Dutch still haven't learned from 1974) If you're going to leave behind an ego-centric striker who likes throw the odd strop then Ruud van Nistelrooy is your man.

As for Van Basten sticking to his guns, Davids was also an integral part of the qualification campaign, even captaining the team for many matches, but he's been left behind as well.

I've been trying to find the logic in leaving Makaay, Huntelaar and Davids at home, but I just can't. I've come to the conclusion that it was an illogical decision.

Coltron
27/05/2006, 9:01 AM
All good points Brine3. I don't know Huntelaar but I'm surprised a bit about Davids. Makaay was never a regular for the Dutch if my bad memory is correct. From a neural point of view it will make them an interesting side to follow.