PDA

View Full Version : All hail the Champions of Ireland

Clifford
14/05/2006, 8:57 PM
Congrats to Avondale, it's a huge achievement, enjoy it one and all. Unlucky Blarney, your day will come I'm sure.

From fai.ie

Avondale United 1, Blarney United 0
O'Driscoll 60 mins

EOIN O'Driscoll, Avondale's Kenmare-born striker was the goal hero as John
Caulfield's side won the Carlsberg FAI Intermediate Cup for the first time
in almost 30 years with a one-goal win over unlucky Blarney United at
Turner's Cross.

The match-winning goal arrived on cue after an hour's play when a defensive
error allowed O'Driscoll a run on goal and his shot bounced slowly into the
far corner of the net after 'keeper Paul Collins got a hand to the ball.

The fates decreed that it was not to be Blarney's day, competing in their first ever final after winning promotion just two years ago. Three times they looked sure of a goal and three times they were denied by the woodwork.

Blarney's first crack at goal was after just 30 seconds as they tipped off
and Jeremy O'Sullivan's 25 yard drive beat Dave O'Keeffe but came back into
play off the upright.

Dave Moynihan took the ball off-the-line in added time in the first half
when he cleared David Spratt's effort as Avondale came close to a
breakthrough goal.

It was 0-0 at the break and it was Avondale who made the first, important breakthrough with O’Driscoll’s opportunist strike in the 60th minute.

Blarney were denied an equaliser when Stephen Jennings' header
from O'Sullivan's cross came back off the butt of the upright after 75
minutes of action that had thrilled the 1,500 plus crowd.

Avondale were close to a second goal ten minutes from the end of the first
all-Cork final in 20 years when Collins saved one-handed from O'Driscoll's
low shot and Spratt was unable to turn the rebound home.

Avondale's John Ward cracked a 25-yard free of the crossbar five minutes
from the end before Blarney, for the third time in the match, were denied a
goal yet again when Dermot Crowley's header in the 92nd minute agonisingly hit the post
again.

Avondale last won the Intermediate Cup back in 1977 when they beat AIB 3-1
at St. Colman's Park, Cobh and several of that Cup-winning team were at
the game to support their successors.

Teams:

Avondale United (4-4-2) - O'Keeffe; Hughes, Costine, Hartigan, Ward;
Kiernan, Giltenan (capt), Bruton, O'Sullivan; O'Driscoll, Spratt.
Subs. Cotter for Bruton (injured 20 mins), Knowles for Kiernan (57 mins),
O'Connell for Spratt (92 mins), Goulding & O'Donovan (not used).

Blarney United (4-4-2) - Collins; Jennings, Hayes, Fitton, J. Hogan;
Crowley, Moynihan, O'Leary (capt), McCann; Corkery, O'Sullivan.
Subs. Goggin for Moynihan (55 mins), O'Riordan for McCann (66 mins), Healy
for Corkery (82 mins), Byrne & Holland (not used).

Referee: Mr. F. Murphy (Cork)

Risteard
14/05/2006, 9:28 PM
Fair play Avondale, especially the few local lads.
Good times for Cork football.

I really think yer man Fraher could have been taking a step down leaving them.
I'd say a few of these SL teams would be a bit stronger than the crappier eL Division1 teams.

razor
15/05/2006, 9:17 AM
What a day, nerves were shot to pieces at the end. Avondale played the more football and deserved it overall. Blarney applied a lot of pressure at the death and had a few shots taken off the line. The upright came to Dales assistance a few times but you need a bit of luck and thankfully they got it on the day. Kenny Bruton clashed heads with Robbie Giltenan after 20 minutes and had to be subbed, John Cotter came on and had an excellent game.
Finbarr Murphy didn't really let the game flow and blew for little things that irritated both sides. On the hour a back header by a Blarney defender put Driccy and Spratty through, Driccy took over and scored, the keeper in fairness got a good hand to the shot but it took an age to hit the net. 3 minutes were displayed at the end of normal time and despite that Finbarr played over 5 meaning our collective nerves were shot at the end.
Blarney played well and fair play to them but i'm obviously delighted for the Dale.
Great to see Mounts star striker back in the Silverkey to celebrate with the lads after.

Clifford
15/05/2006, 12:40 PM
Blarney played well and fair play to them but i'm obviously delighted for the Dale.
Great to see Mounts star striker back in the Silverkey to celebrate with the lads after.

Good stuff, all the lads are good mates and happy to see friends win when they can't themselves. The Big Red Bench on Red fm gave it huge coverage and so did county sound. Fair play to them not letting the big EL stuff interfere with the best level of footie in Ireland.

Risteard
15/05/2006, 7:36 PM
Fair play to Johnny C too.
All part of his natural progression to City manager methinks.

Clifford
15/05/2006, 11:37 PM
Fair play to Johnny C
All part of his natural progression to City manager methinks.

Tell Damo he can have him now then please. Poach him, poach him now I say. (Only three/five games left in the title race in the MSL!!)

CollegeTillIDie
16/05/2006, 7:51 AM
Clifford... don't ye have to wait till the transfer window like everyone else or is there a special rule for Cork City?

razor
16/05/2006, 8:47 AM
Tell Damo he can have him now then please. Poach him, poach him now I say. (Only three/five games left in the title race in the MSL!!)I think the amount of alcohol consumed this week, definitely means the title will be heading to Rockmount Park. No worries there Cliffy, JohnnyC should stay put for another season at least. Doing a great job.

Clifford
16/05/2006, 9:57 AM
Clifford... don't ye have to wait till the transfer window like everyone else or is there a special rule for Cork City?

I'm a Rockmount suporter who was jesting about the possibility of JC departing three games before the end of a titanic league run in - in the MSL.

I've no idea if they have special rules for Cork City, you'd have to ask a follower of them......:confused:

Clifford
16/05/2006, 9:59 AM
I think the amount of alcohol consumed this week, definitely means the title will be heading to Rockmount Park. JohnnyC should stay put for another season at least. Doing a great job.

Is there a league game for Dale this week? Agreed about JC, fine job and great young set up.