PDA

View Full Version : Places to stay in Galway

Cosmo
14/05/2006, 5:32 PM
Any cheap and decent recommendations?

Going away for a weekend during the Eircom Leage 2 week break - looking at places on the web and they seem pricey for the weekend im going anyway (June 16th).

Want a b and b or hotel in the city centre so I dont have to get taxis- best I can find is the travallodge for 100euro a night (for the room) but is says thats 2k from city centre??

Anyone any recommendations for city centre, cheap and decent?

aido_b
14/05/2006, 6:01 PM
buddy Kinlay House in galway. Its a hostel just off eyre square. Stayed there a couple of times, their double rooms have ensuites and are grand. shouldn't cost ya more than €25 per night if I remember correctly!

gustavo
14/05/2006, 7:40 PM
Sleepzone was where I stayed last time i was down and it was good cheap and cheerful except for the arrogant American guy working behind the counter

Risteard
14/05/2006, 8:21 PM
Now if the thread was called Places to stay in Salthill, i could have nipped in with a clever one-liner like

In your car with the engine running.

Terry
14/05/2006, 8:26 PM
here ya go, guaranteed to find somewhere here:

http://www.irishbeds.com/galway.html

Paddyfield
14/05/2006, 9:38 PM
buddy Kinlay House in galway. Its a hostel just off eyre square. Stayed there a couple of times, their double rooms have ensuites and are grand. shouldn't cost ya more than €25 per night if I remember correctly!

Kinlay House is gone and is beingn replaced with more shops :(

Sleepzone [www.sleepzone.ie] has won a few awards and is a few hundred metres from Eyre Square. It will be full of Norwegian backpackers etc so may not suit you if you are going with family. There are B&Bs on College Road between City Hall and The Sportsground (where Connacht Rugby play) which is ten minutes walk from Eyre Square

I suggest that you stay in Salthill where hotels are cheaper. Look at the Warwick Hotel, The Spinnaker Hotel or maybe Anno Santo Hotel (not as posh as it sounds). All are beside bus stops for routes to the city centre.

For further info,check out the Ireland West tourism site www.irelandwest.ie

Conor H
14/05/2006, 9:47 PM
Salthill is probably the best way to go!
It's only 5 minutes from town!

Raheny Red
14/05/2006, 10:29 PM
Was in Galway 3/4 to for weeks ago. We stayed in the Menlo Park hotel, it cost €240 for 2 nights for a double room, so if your sharing - €60 a night! :cool: Great
weekend was had even though a hot Polish cleaner walked in on me whilst having a barry :o :p

Magicme
15/05/2006, 11:16 AM
I stayed in Flannery's Best Western just minutes drive from the city centre on Friday nite and they seem to do some good deals. I have a nice comfortable room and breakie for €75 for the nite.

God I fell in love with Galway at the weekend.....beautiful weather, great shops, lovely relaxed athmosphere, great drink and some of the nicest people on the planet!

Rory H
15/05/2006, 11:20 AM
God I fell in love with Galway at the weekend.....beautiful weather, great shops, lovely relaxed athmosphere, great drink and some of the nicest people on the planet!

clearly you are missing the trip to sligo this season:D

Magicme
15/05/2006, 11:23 AM
Actually almost headed to Sligo Sat evening for the Drogs game but was too shattered from my fun time in Galway so went home and went out in Monaghan instead!

Sorry WildRover but Galway beats Sligo hands down as an overnighter. In fact it is the best overnighter possible!

Paddyfield
15/05/2006, 9:22 PM
Actually almost headed to Sligo Sat evening for the Drogs game but was too shattered from my fun time in Galway so went home and went out in Monaghan instead!

Sorry WildRover but Galway beats Sligo hands down as an overnighter. In fact it is the best overnighter possible!

I just saw your posts on the Galway United threads Magicme. I'm surprised you remember anything about Galway....I reckon you must've been rat a***ed drunk:D

Wildrover, I was in Rosses Point last week. It's smashing

Magicme
15/05/2006, 10:24 PM
I just saw your posts on the Galway United threads Magicme. I'm surprised you remember anything about Galway....I reckon you must've been rat a***ed drunk:D

I was rat arsed but believe me I remember the most important things and have blanked out the final score!

Cosmo
15/05/2006, 10:36 PM

Have only boozing there twice - once for the big day out but didnt make it to pubs, etc

Went to a preseason friendly there last season, but was drinking cans from around 10 in the morning which probably ruined it for me :o - didnt hit the pubs til about 9 or 10. Went to a few different places, all seemed chilled out and a decent laugh, but packed and at that stage I just wanted a seat so ended up driking in a hotel residents bar to relax my very drunkan legs :)

I know all the pubs are supposed to be decent - staying in the main square, lovely job! - any recommendations for decent boozers (good beer garden, good live music)??

And whats the best nightclub?

Cheers :)

Conor H
16/05/2006, 9:06 AM
Cp's(central park) is the best nightclub by all accounts.
Cuba,Radisson and GPO are the other main clubs.

Eire06
16/05/2006, 10:13 AM
Cp's(central park) is the best nightclub by all accounts.
Cuba,Radisson and GPO are the other main clubs.

Cp's is a younger crowd so if you are 18-20 it'll suit ya......

Otherwise the Warwick in Salthill (Has a live band and a DJ) a for a Saturday night or Halo in town (next to Cp's) for any other night good craic..

The Kings Head is the best Bar for live music by far..:cool:
The Front Door and Buskers for a bit of craic:)

Rory H
16/05/2006, 11:25 AM

its great alright.....a fantastic point

Raheny Red
16/05/2006, 10:50 PM
Cuba is full of ugly women..............................:eek: :rolleyes: :mad:

Paddyfield
22/05/2006, 10:23 PM
Kinlay House is gone and is beingn replaced with more shops :( [/url]

Sorry Cosmo. I am going to contradict my own post. Kinlay House is alive and kicking. I just drove past it an hour ago...the place next door to it is gone. Apogies. Enjoy your trip to the Wesssshhhhhhhhhhttttttttttt.