PDA

View Full Version : Joe Gamble

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Éanna
31/01/2002, 5:58 PM
Joe Gamble scored the second goal for an Ireland U-21 tam against an Aston Villa select team in England yesterday. Ireland won the game 3-2, having gone 3 up.

yan
31/01/2002, 10:57 PM
any line ups available

Éanna
01/02/2002, 10:11 AM
no sorry, it was just a 4/5 line snippet in yesterdays star. if i find out, i'll post it up.

Colm
28/01/2005, 5:02 PM
He looked a bright prospect when he was at Reading and scored the winner for the under-21s v Denmark in Cork.
Anyone know where he is now? Is he still at Barnet? Nice lad too.

He's part of the Rebel Army now. Signed for us midway through last season and has now made the centre mid spot his own. Excellent player.

Troy.McClure
28/01/2005, 6:47 PM
God almighty how long did you spend trawling to find something like that? :rolleyes:

When Gamble came in he looked tired and out of place as he was after completing a full year with Barnet and the City team had just started to get their season on track with their good European run. Once he setteled in he developed a good partnership with George O'Calaghan in the middle and is one of the best midfielders in the league now I recon.

joema
13/05/2006, 2:41 PM
Joe Gamble has been called up to the squad for the Chilie match:)
Great news and fair play to Stan - Hope Joe gets a game against Chilie

No official confirmation yet
http://corkcityfc.ie/forums/index.php?showtopic=10311

Risteard
13/05/2006, 3:16 PM
Only rumour at this stage.
Although it would be a good call if it's true.
Can't find anything other than rumour on the net at this stage.
Edit ------->here (http://www.joegamble.com/)

eirebhoy
13/05/2006, 3:21 PM
I don't think this call up can be classed as a token gesture to the EL. There is a lack of real holding midfielders in the squad. Kavanagh is the only one that plays that position regularly and he's getting on a bit. After Kavanagh there isn't much competition (either too old, too average of too inexperienced). I'm not sure if Micky Doyle is a holding midfielder? Gamble is in the squad on merit alone and I'd say he'll get a bit of a run out against Chile. He could well become a fixture in the squad for the qualifiers.

A face
13/05/2006, 3:33 PM
Gamble is in the squad on merit alone and I'd say he'll get a bit of a run out against Chile. He could well become a fixture in the squad for the qualifiers.

I dunno, maybe it because of the history between the league and the national team but i'd still think there is a bit of tokenism there. I'd love to be proved wrong but thats the way i feel.

Great news for Joe though, great stuff. I have to say he was the only member of our squad who would be ready for it. If he were called upon then i'd have a feeling that he might even do well.

Peadar
13/05/2006, 4:48 PM
Joey Gamble do do do do
Joey Gamble do do do do
Joey Gamble do do do do
Joey Gamble do do do do
Joey Gamble do do do do
Joey Gamble do do do do
Joey Gamble do do do do
Joey Gamble do do do do
Joey Gamble do do do do
Joey Gamble do do do do

Dodge
13/05/2006, 5:00 PM
Joe gamble do what you stuttering **** Peadar?

pineapple stu
13/05/2006, 5:06 PM
Is there any source for this yet? Nothing on FAI, eleven-a-side or the Cork website...

Edit - on the Cork website now - congrats!

pete
13/05/2006, 5:29 PM
Joe gamble do what you stuttering **** Peadar?

Foot.ie is founded on the principles of tolerance & understanding. Less juding Dodge. :(

BTW its official. See Aertel.

Who are the holding midfielders in the squad it Stauntons is to play 4-3-3 formation?

pineapple stu
13/05/2006, 5:31 PM
I think Dodge was making a joke. Look at the post and the previous one again.

Plastic Paddy
13/05/2006, 5:58 PM
Well I think that it's a joke. The highest level he ever attained on a sustained basis in real football was the Conference and he wasn't even very good at that. And I've seen him enough times in that league to know.

:ball: PP

(btw... 2,000 posts and they don't come better than this... ;) )

pete
13/05/2006, 6:02 PM
Well I think that it's a joke. The highest level he ever attained in real football was the Conference and he wasn't even very good at that. And I've seen him enough times at that level to know.

Nice try at windup. Uefa Cup isn't real football cos its not english? And you wonder why you call yourself Plastic Paddy...?

Soper
13/05/2006, 6:16 PM
I'm really happy about this, I just hope he get's given a proper chance to give an account of himself, and not a thirty second cameo at the end.

Plastic Paddy
13/05/2006, 6:16 PM
Nice try at windup. Uefa Cup isn't real football cos its not english? And you wonder why you call yourself Plastic Paddy...?

Ahh, bless! It didn't take long...

(post no. 2001, btw... ;) )

:D PP

Pablo
13/05/2006, 6:19 PM
Is there any source for this yet? Nothing on FAI, eleven-a-side or the Cork website...

Edit - on the Cork website now - congrats!

http://www.rte.ie/aertel/p226.htm

Legend Joey. he's as good as any other central midfielder Ireland has. he should get a chance

Plastic Paddy
13/05/2006, 6:37 PM
And you wonder why you call yourself Plastic Paddy...?

And - btw - did you not ever wonder why I'd chosen the name? Possibly due to the fact that I'd thought long and hard about why "proper" Irish called me "plastic"?

As it happens, and almost (but not quite) of an irrelevance, I've played Conference football myself on more than a few occasions. And if Gamble wasn't good enough to hold down a regular Conference place the season before last, what ever makes you think he's good enough to hold down an Ireland squad place now? Or are you suggesting that perhaps, based on my own experience, I should give Stan Staunton a call? :rolleyes:

Honestly, you eL heads...

pete
13/05/2006, 6:39 PM
As it happens, and almost (but not quite) of an irrelevance, I've played Conference football myself on more than a few occasions.

Jealousy then. :D

Plastic Paddy
13/05/2006, 6:42 PM
Jealousy then. :D

Thank God for that. I though I'd lost you.

Total and utter jealousy, as it happens. I can't deny that. The young players these days are much better than we ever were. Even Joe Gamble... :D

TheJamaicanP.M.
13/05/2006, 7:53 PM
I have to agree with PP.

I know my opinion might not be popular on this forum, but I just can't believe Stan has resorted to calling up an EL midfielder. I'm just so disillusioned with this selection. Any time I've seen Gamble play I've never been particularly impressed. As pointed out, Gamble was a Conference player not so long ago. What sort of signal does this send out to the likes of Lee Carsley, Rory Delap, Mark Kennedy, Glenn Whelan, Gareth and James O'Connor, etc. Even Willie Boland is of a higher standard to Gamble.

Just because Gamble played Uefa Cup football with an EL club does not mean he is good enough for the international squad. Darren Potter played CL football last season, but I don't consider him good enough for our squad.

I really hope this is merely a PR exercise from Stan and that we won't see Gamble in an Irish squad again. Its a joke as far as I'm concerned but obviously my opinion won't find favour with the EL heads.

Dazzy
13/05/2006, 8:03 PM
Well done to Joe, from what i seen of him last season hes done well, not seen him this season, but will do this Saturday.

Its that sort of attitude that will put a smile on my face if the LOI ever folds, cause there will be no more 'joke' call-ups or any type of call-up.

Soper
13/05/2006, 8:09 PM
You'd swear it's going to destroy the future of Irish football.EL supporters are always told 'your players aren't good enough, if they were then they'd be in the squad blah blah'.Now that some are in the squad, there is uproar.You're always nitpicking.Let the two lads have a chance* in a green shirt to show what they can do, rather than forcasting a doomsday for the Irish team.

Knowing tradition, they'll get 30 seconds at the end, and Premiership supporters will base their over-inflated opinion on that.

Plastic Paddy
13/05/2006, 8:14 PM
Knowing tradition, they'll get 30 seconds at the end, and Premiership supporters will base their over-inflated opinion on that.

Thus allowing the chip-on-shoulder eL suppport to perpetuate their notions of suffrage for yet another round of international matches. :rolleyes:

Come on Soper, if these lads were good enough, they'd all be over earning their corn at Derby, Leicester or Reading. Hold on, the good ones actually are, aren't they...?

ifk101
13/05/2006, 8:32 PM
Thus allowing the chip-on-shoulder eL suppport to perpetuate their notions of suffrage for yet another round of international matches. :rolleyes:

Come on Soper, if these lads were good enough, they'd all be over earning their corn at Derby, Leicester or Reading. Hold on, the good ones actually are, aren't they...?

Run along little boy. You have given diarrhoea of the mind a new meaning tonight. Best to move on.

Soper
13/05/2006, 8:35 PM
I watch the championship regularly.It's no great shakes.Perhaps players like Gamble perform better playing for a team that plays lovely football rather than teams in, for instance the English Championship, that play something akin to what my former GAA team used to play.

Now, as far as I'm concerned, the discussion is over..because Joe is in the squad, and that is that!

Plastic Paddy
13/05/2006, 8:36 PM
Run along little boy. You have given diarrhoea of the mind a new meaning tonight. Best to move on.

When you answer my point I'll debate with you. Until then, uhm, I think it's you that can climb back in the box, m'kay? :rolleyes:

Now, as far as I'm concerned, the discussion is over..because Joe is in the squad, and that is that!

Fair play and I can't argue with that. I hope he puts in a performance worthy of his many backers on here and elsewhere. I look forward to a fat slice of humble pie when he does. :)

ifk101
13/05/2006, 8:43 PM
When you answer my point I'll debate with you. Until then, uhm, I think it's you that can climb back in the box, m'kay? :rolleyes:

I'm not looking for a debate - so run along now like a good lad.

Plastic Paddy
13/05/2006, 8:46 PM
I'm not looking for a debate - so run along now like a good lad.

Mate - this is embarrassing - I'm one of the mods on this board. I'm not going anywhere in a hurry. So I think it's you that should be closing the door quietly on your way out... :rolleyes:

joema
13/05/2006, 8:52 PM
I'm one of the mods on this board. I'm not going anywhere in a hurry

Who gives a s**t if your a mod??

Fair play to Gamble - he deserves it

ifk101
13/05/2006, 8:55 PM
Mate - this is embarrassing - I'm one of the mods on this board. I'm not going anywhere in a hurry. So I think it's you that should be closing the door quietly on your way out... :rolleyes:

Think its time you hand in your notice - don't you?

If somebody's challenges your opinion as out of order, it becomes embarrassing because you're a mod - is that the way it is?

Plastic Paddy
13/05/2006, 8:58 PM
Who gives a s**t if your a mod??

No one except me when someone's challenging ma authoritay. Respect ma authoritay! :D

Fair play to Gamble - he deserves it

Read my previous reply [to Soper] about Gamble. Don't swallow your tongue in apologising for your over-the-top response.

Plastic Paddy
13/05/2006, 9:08 PM
Think its time you hand in your notice - don't you?

Cool. Are you offering your services? If so, drop dahamsta a line. I'm happy to step aside for you.

If somebody's challenges your opinion as out of order, it becomes embarrassing because you're a mod - is that the way it is?

Only when such responses (feebly, I might add) attempt to patronise me in the way that you have. You started the "little boy" nonsense and now you're trying to haul me up for it. Please, ever so politely, go take a running jump.

ifk101
13/05/2006, 9:14 PM
Cool. Are you offering your services? If so, drop dahamsta a line. I'm happy to step aside for you.

Only when such responses (feebly, I might add) attempt to patronise me in the way that you have. You started the "little boy" nonsense and now you're trying to haul me up for it. Oh-ho, I don't think so...

But, please, spare me the indignity...

There's no nonsense in calling you a little boy because the above post from your plastic self just demonstrates how small your "child's arm" is.

gustavo
13/05/2006, 9:23 PM
. Any time I've seen Gamble play I've never been particularly impressed. As pointed out, Gamble was a Conference player not so long ago. .
Presumably then you dont want Kevin Doyle in the squad as he was an EL player not so long ago

jorge
13/05/2006, 9:24 PM
Come on plastic is there need for this?

Fair play Joe,cant wait to see you against Chile.

Peadar
13/05/2006, 9:25 PM
PP v Joe Gamble with a ball can be arranged. I know who my money is on.

I'll put something to you, PP. If a team is in the conference, can their lack of success be attirbuted to a failure in spotting talent and coaching players? Here's a simple fact for you. Joe Gamble has been called into the senior squad of his national side. PP has never made it out of the conference.

gustavo
13/05/2006, 9:27 PM
I'm not looking for a debate
Why are you here then!

gustavo
13/05/2006, 9:29 PM
PP v Joe Gamble with a ball can be arranged. I know who my money is on.

I'll put something to you, PP. If a team is in the conference, can their lack of success be attirbuted to a failure in spotting talent and coaching players? Here's a simple fact for you. Joe Gamble has been called into the senior squad of his national side. PP has never made it out of the conference.
Ehmm i dont get your point ! PP afaik has never really expressed his dissillusionment at his continued (and of course inexplicable) absence from the Ireland squad .

thejollyrodger
13/05/2006, 9:31 PM
the call up will mean nothing unless the EL lads get a proper game at the highest level

ifk101
13/05/2006, 9:31 PM
Why are you here then!

He called Gamble's call up a joke because he plays in the EL - yet mods a forum about Irish football. Do you not see the contradiction? Is there reason to debate with a little boy that knows nothing of the wider world outside his´' bubble?

Peadar
13/05/2006, 9:33 PM
Ehmm i dont get your point.

My point is that some people progress and move up from their lowly status. Others don't. Therefore, it's ridiculous to use his past as a reason to deny him an opportunity now.

A face
13/05/2006, 9:34 PM
What sort of signal does this send out to the likes of Lee Carsley, Rory Delap, Mark Kennedy, Glenn Whelan, Gareth and James O'Connor, etc. Even Willie Boland is of a higher standard to Gamble.

Classic .... that is pure gold (http://www.jinshanmines.com/i/photos/Jinshan_GoldBar.jpg) !! :p :D

gustavo
13/05/2006, 9:35 PM
I'm also a mod on the board here and I dont agree with PP on that point but I dont call him a little boy , You can try to influence and maybe peoples opinions by making good debate and elequantly phrasing your point rather than name calling

Plastic Paddy
13/05/2006, 9:35 PM
Gentlemen and ifk101, if you can't see the wind-up for what it is then I suggest you spend some more time out there amongst the people. Honestly! And FWIW I'm shocked that the king of the wind-ups should fall for his own trick. Peadar, I'm genuinely surprised at you.

IFK, spend some time posting here first before you chuck the shît around. Cuss me all you like but I ask that you at least spend some time building up some on-board credibility first.

And as for the rest of you Corkie hot-heads... you should try some self-love before you all start spouting off to a straightforward wind-up. It might save an awful lot of tension! :D (I bet some sheep are fair copping it down Bandon way the night...)

TheJamaicanP.M.
13/05/2006, 9:37 PM
Presumably then you dont want Kevin Doyle in the squad as he was an EL player not so long ago

There's a difference. Doyle was hugely impressive when he was in the EL and with the Ireland under-21s. In my opinion, Gamble is a mucker with nothing to offer the Ireland squad.

Peadar
13/05/2006, 9:38 PM
Peadar, I'm genuinely surprised at you.

On this forum, the LoI is to me what diaspora is to you. ;)

A face
13/05/2006, 9:41 PM
He called Gamble's call up a joke because he plays in the EL - yet mods a forum about Irish football. Do you not see the contradiction? Is there reason to debate with a little boy that knows nothing of the wider world outside his´' bubble?

Alright lads ... can you all calm down on the mod thing .... Just because PP is a mod, doesn't mean he isn't entitled to an opinion. To be fair, if you're attacking him with that as part of your argument then it aint much of an argument.

Can we all just keep it football please ..... for the record, PP .... your opinion is cráp !! :p