PDA

View Full Version : Joe Gamble

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

Bald Student
15/05/2007, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by Bald Student
Yep,
and come the end of the season when Cork have a big fixture backlog Rico will be ranting and raving about how unfair it all is and how the league should be extended for a week.RRS !!!I don't know what this means.

sligoman
15/05/2007, 11:11 PM
I don't know what this means.Ridden Rock Solid.

Kivlehan
15/05/2007, 11:30 PM
It's too bad a few other LoI players aren't being called up to meaningless friendlies like this that the top players are bowing out of. It is potentially good business for FAI to do it because it means exposure for the LoI, and means that the players involved will probably fetch higher prices in transfers to English/Scottish teams, which puts more money back into the LoI for further development. Also having LoI players in the squad makes those who might like football but not pay attention to the LoI wonder if perhaps there's something worth seeing there. Calling up players like Gamble feeds the machine in terms of improving the fortunes of the LoI in multiple ways.

jbyrne
16/05/2007, 9:13 AM
He'll probably fly out after the game ;)

in the papers today that he is travelling on sat

pete
16/05/2007, 10:37 AM
He'll probably fly out after the game ;)

He will play friday & fly out saturday according to the Indo.

CuanaD
16/05/2007, 10:46 AM
I don't know what this means.

its an infamous quote from Damien Ricco

(anyone got the youtube link?)

pete
16/05/2007, 11:10 AM
Any rumours that Joe Gamble is just being called up for post match interview entertainment are completely false.

:p

galwayhoop
16/05/2007, 1:42 PM
stan, in his wisdom, has decided to ditch his plan to 'bambooozle' the opposition in favour of the more direct approach of 'molesting football'!!

John83
16/05/2007, 1:53 PM
its an infamous quote from Damien Ricco

(anyone got the youtube link?)
No, but if it's any consolation for Bald Student, it took me a minute to figure out what the acronym meant too.

geysir
17/05/2007, 12:34 PM
It's more of a consolation for the rest of us not at 3rd level education, gives a chance for a bit of a sneer :)

What hole did this thread crawl out of?
BTW, who is Gamble? :)

livehead1
17/05/2007, 12:38 PM
I would love it if Gamble told Staunton where to shove his call up. Face it, he has NO chance of being involved when the serious business starts in the Autumn. Dodge may not have been quoting Stan verbatim, but the essence of his attitude is summed up pretty nicely by the "quote" I thought. Of course it's such a great "honour" for Gamble, there's no chance of that happening.

why should he reject it? he's a second rate footballer playing in a second rate league. this could be his oppurtunity in his eyes to prove that he is good enough to play in england ( which realistically is what the vast majority of EL players want to do). he wouldn't have expected to be in the first squad.

I wouldn't have him anywhere near the squad, its a farce to think hes involved when theres footballers of Owen Garvan's talent not even making our u21's

GavinZac
17/05/2007, 12:56 PM
why should he reject it? he's a second rate footballer playing in a second rate league.
and you've seen either in action?

he wouldn't have expected to be in the first squad.
he complained publicly about not being included in the first draft.

hows the second rate gaelic football going in nottingham?

Shelsman
17/05/2007, 1:04 PM
Dermot Keely suggests that Roy O'Donovan should have been called up instead -I'd love to see him in an Ireland squad but when you look at the revised squad below there's already 5 strikers there, so it would be difficult to give them all a game ( e.g. first game, start with two strikers, replace both with subs, still leaves 1 striker not getting a game for the first match ). I would assume he'd like to keep the some similarity in the line out for the two friendlies. I don't see any lack of quality in the forwards he's selected. HOWEVER there is a distinct lack of wingers ( just two really if Kilbane plays in the centre ) I would call up another winger and another central midfielder.

Suggestions? ( see http://www.ireland.com/sports/soccer/2007/0430/weekend_soccer.pdf for British based players ). I would think any of Stephan and Alan Quinn, Stephen McPhail, Willo Flood .....
Please don't say Ollie Cahill! I would also consider Wes Hoolahan but he is involved in play offs. Any exceptional young wingers currently in the eL ?

Goalkeepers: Nick Colgan (Barnsley), Wayne Henderson (Preston North End), Colin Doyle (Birmingham City).

Defenders: Stephen Kelly (Birmingham City), Paul McShane (West Bromwich Albion), Sean St Ledger (Preston North End), Alex Bruce (Ipswich Town), Joseph O’Cearuill (Arsenal), John O’Shea (Manchester United), Stephen O’Halloran (Aston Villa).

Midfielders: Darren Potter (Wolves), Stephen Hunt (Reading), Alan O’Brien (Newcastle United), Kevin Kilbane (Wigan Athletic), Joe Gamble (Cork City).

Forwards: Kevin Doyle, Shane Long (both Reading), Daryl Murphy, Anthony Stokes (both Sunderland), Andy Keogh (Wolves).

Risteard
17/05/2007, 1:07 PM
I agree and disagree with Keely.
Roy is more likely to play an international role in the future.
Gamble is 25 and won't get MUCH better.
However, he's the more accomplished player and if it was for a competitive match in the coming months, Gamble is more deserving. I happen to think Gamble is better than a lot of our midfield options and deserves a squad place.

GavinZac
17/05/2007, 1:09 PM
As for pick wingers, gamble or roy would both be suitable. gamble played on the right side of midfield in the B international and was praised for his performance. its possible he might be playing there when healy and farrelly become eligible.

pete
17/05/2007, 1:26 PM
I am sure I will be accused of being bias but Gamble was probably the best midfielder on display at the B international so is worthy of this place in the squad.

Roy O'Donovan is still very raw & somewhat immature but he could do a job at right wing.

I was trying to think what players Staunton would call up if he had more withdrawals. I suppose Stephen Quinn as mentioned above would be one of the first on such a list.

drummerboy
17/05/2007, 1:29 PM
I was at the B international and Gamble did play well on the right hand side of midfield. Staunton was at the game, and has rewarded a lot of players on duty that night with call ups for the USA trip. On a sidenote, O Cearuill was on the bench for Arsenal on Sunday last.

pete
17/05/2007, 1:30 PM
I was at the B international and Gamble did play well on the right hand side of midfield. Staunton was at the game, and has rewarded a lot of players on duty that night with call ups for the USA trip.

If the B squad is to have any purpose (its debatable if it should) then it makes sense for Staunton to look to that squad when the senior squad has withdrawals.

gustavo
17/05/2007, 1:32 PM
why should he reject it? he's a second rate footballer playing in a second rate league. this could be his oppurtunity in his eyes to prove that he is good enough to play in england ( which realistically is what the vast majority of EL players want to do). he wouldn't have expected to be in the first squad.

I wouldn't have him anywhere near the squad, its a farce to think hes involved when theres footballers of Owen Garvan's talent not even making our u21's

I love this "play in England" thing , its as if any level of football in England is better than playing here. Of course he and all players here could play in England its just a matter of at what level

Dodge
17/05/2007, 1:36 PM
I was trying to think what players Staunton would call up if he had more withdrawals. I suppose Stephen Quinn as mentioned above would be one of the first on such a list.

Quinn would easily have been in the orginal squad but asked not to be picked (along with his brother) due to pressing family matters.

DmanDmythDledge
17/05/2007, 2:48 PM
and you've seen either in action?
So you think the EL is a good as the Premiership, La Liga or Seria A?:rolleyes:

sligoman
17/05/2007, 2:52 PM

I wouldn't have him anywhere near the squad, its a farce to think hes involved when theres footballers of Owen Garvan's talent not even making our u21'sPlease change yer avatar. You're an embarassment to Sligo Rovers.

Dodge
17/05/2007, 2:52 PM
So you think the EL is a good as the Premiership, La Liga or Seria A?:rolleyes:

The players mentioned that could take Gamble's place don't play in any of those leagues...

DmanDmythDledge
17/05/2007, 2:58 PM
The players mentioned that could take Gamble's place don't play in any of those leagues...
:confused: I was responding to GavinZac's disagreement to this

why should he reject it? he's a second rate footballer playing in a second rate league.

pete
17/05/2007, 3:43 PM

Majority of Ireland players play in second rate leagues...

Burnsie
17/05/2007, 3:49 PM
to be honest, second rate is a very generous description

Dodge
17/05/2007, 4:03 PM
to be honest, second rate is a very generous description

of...

Pablo
17/05/2007, 11:01 PM
Well done Joey. A call up tomorrow noe for ROD and we'll almost have a Cork City starting XI past or present :)

And an Ex Cobh Ramblers man for good measure!

Pablo
19/05/2007, 3:10 AM
a legend again tonight. Do us proud Joey

geysir
19/05/2007, 11:11 AM
I hope Gamble does well and gets at least to play in most of the 2 games.

livehead1
19/05/2007, 11:45 AM
hows the second rate gaelic football going in nottingham?

its not too bad, i supplement it with inter-county football at the moment so it cheers me up, here's for another provincial british medal this year and a trip to ireland;)

livehead1
19/05/2007, 11:48 AM
I love this "play in England" thing , its as if any level of football in England is better than playing here. Of course he and all players here could play in England its just a matter of at what level

No, im not saying play in england full stop. i know exactly where you are coming from. the standard in the EL is probably around the level of the championship. However, I'm of the belief that we have enough talented footballers when available to select a squad made up of soley english premiership footballers. Thats the point im making when i say that he wouldn't expect to be in a first squad. However, i have seen gamble play quite a few times, contrary to popular belief and he does merit a place in the squad, given the other players selected. However, him, along with many others in the squad are a long way off what is required of an international footballer.

bellavistaman
21/05/2007, 12:18 PM
Well done Joey. A call up tomorrow noe for ROD and we'll almost have a Cork City starting XI past or present :)

And an Ex Cobh Ramblers man for good measure!

who's the ex cobh ramblers man? Ireland pulled out?

Pablo
21/05/2007, 1:01 PM
who's the ex cobh ramblers man? Ireland pulled out?

O'Halloran???

bellavistaman
21/05/2007, 1:05 PM
Never played for the Rams, at Springfield all his life from 6's to the day he left for Villa, his dads a Ramblers legend though. Stephens a fine player too, tough and 100% commited great in the air. Anybody know if we can see the game on television??

livehead1
22/05/2007, 12:28 PM
Please change yer avatar. You're an embarassment to Sligo Rovers.

Why? For criticising the standards of the EL. Its been done 100's of times before but I stand by my point. Realistically, the vast majority of irish footballers would play in England given the chance

pete
23/05/2007, 2:42 PM
Why?

Blantant GAA advertising. :D:(

Dublin12
23/05/2007, 2:51 PM
Wheres Joe Gamble from?

michaelguineys
23/05/2007, 3:20 PM
You serious?
Togher in Cork city

Dublin12
23/05/2007, 3:27 PM
Yeah,just wondering,thought he might've been from Waterford.

geysir
23/05/2007, 3:28 PM
Oh, so he's from Cork,
is he any good?

michaelguineys
23/05/2007, 3:30 PM
Oh, so he's from Cork,
is he any good?

Ya he is excellent.
Best midfielder in the country.

Dr. Ogba
23/05/2007, 3:38 PM
Oh, so he's from Cork,
is he any good?

I've heard his name mentioned in the same breath as the Maradona's and Pele's of this world...he is truely the saviour of Irish football...

eirebhoy
23/05/2007, 4:06 PM
He'd probably be in competition with Douglas for a place in the squad so if he impresses in the States he should keep his place.

ollie
23/05/2007, 5:22 PM
Ya he is excellent.
The Eircom league that is.;)

bellavistaman
23/05/2007, 5:38 PM
Ya he is excellent.

Without doubt!:ball:

Pablo
24/05/2007, 8:45 AM
I thought he did excellently when he came on. Well done Joey.

Jerry The Saint
24/05/2007, 10:19 AM
That was the most ungracious squad of players that I have ever seen in my life. Especially Joe Gamble.

Dodge
24/05/2007, 10:29 AM
Without doubt!:ball:

Mmm. I'd disagree. Sure there are others too

michaelguineys
24/05/2007, 12:11 PM
That was the most ungracious squad of players that I have ever seen in my life. Especially Joe Gamble.

what do u mean by ungracious???