PDA

View Full Version : Joe Gamble

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

Plastic Paddy
13/05/2006, 9:41 PM
On this forum, the LoI is to me what diaspora is to you. ;)

Touché! Peadar 1-1 PP (aet). We each win an Intertoto Cup! ;)

:ball: PP

Plastic Paddy
13/05/2006, 9:44 PM
Can we all just keep it football please ..... for the record, PP .... your opinion is cráp !! :p

http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=475981&postcount=24 (the second part... ;) )

A face
13/05/2006, 9:44 PM
There's a difference. Doyle was hugely impressive when he was in the EL and with the Ireland under-21s. In my opinion, Gamble is a mucker with nothing to offer the Ireland squad.

Are you open minded though ?? ..... if Gamble has a stormer, if he has an unreal game .... with you change your opinion accordingly ??

To be honest, anyone that leads their argument "if he is an eL player ... " ... its complete cráp, if the guy is good enough then he is good enough, no matter where he is. You can do all the comparisons you want but it wont change the fact.

And one question, why is he getting called up so late if it is tokenism?

A face
13/05/2006, 9:46 PM
http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=475981&postcount=24 (the second part... ;) )

Fair enough so !! :D

ifk101
13/05/2006, 9:46 PM
Okay. So its a wind-up now. He digged himself too big a hole that is less than normal sized body (formerly called "little") realised that there was no climbing out. Classic!

Poor Student
13/05/2006, 9:47 PM
No one except me when someone's challenging ma authoritay. Respect ma authoritay! :D

As a mod, I don't know why I never thought of using that quote.:D

A face
13/05/2006, 9:51 PM
Staunton gambles on Cork City star

Republic of Ireland senior international manger Stephen Staunton has called Cork City's Joe Gamble into his squad for the training camp in Portugal and the friendly international against Chile on May 24.

Gamble will join up with the squad on Sunday May 21 following Cork City's eircom League game against Derry City next Saturday night in the Brandywell.

Read more at www.rte.ie (http://www.rte.ie/sport/2006/0513/gamblej.html)

TheJamaicanP.M.
13/05/2006, 9:53 PM
Are you open minded though ?? ..... if Gamble has a stormer, if he has an unreal game .... with you change your opinion accordingly ??

To be honest, anyone that leads their argument "if he is an eL player ... " ... its complete cráp, if the guy is good enough then he is good enough, no matter where he is. You can do all the comparisons you want but it wont change the fact.

And one question, why is he getting called up so late if it is tokenism?

If the lad plays a stormer then fair play to him. Of course I will change my mind. I want the best players playing for Ireland. But that is the reason why I'm not happy with his call-up. I don't think he's good enough.

I didn't say that his call-up can be attributed to tokenism. However, I do think there are better players available to Stan.

Plastic Paddy
13/05/2006, 9:54 PM
Okay. So its a wind-up now. He digged himself too big a hole that is less than normal sized body (formerly called "little") realised that there was no climbing out. Classic!

To you I concede nothing. You should notice that my concessionary point on Gamble was made before you started this high-horse rodeo. :rolleyes:

joema
13/05/2006, 9:58 PM
Read my previous reply [to Soper] about Gamble. Don't swallow your tongue in apologising for your over-the-top response.

When I said fair play to Joe he deserves it, it was not a dig at you. Your entitled to your opinion!! You are being a bit over sensitive.

Apoligise? I stand by what I said - who does give a s**t if your a mod?
Answer: nobody - except for you

Dodge
13/05/2006, 10:00 PM
There's a difference. Doyle was hugely impressive when he was in the EL and with the Ireland under-21s. In my opinion, Gamble is a mucker with nothing to offer the Ireland squad.
In fairness Gamble was my player of the season last year in the league. Its obvious Staunton only picked him to deflect from the embarressment of picking Jason Byrne

ifk101
13/05/2006, 10:00 PM
If the lad plays a stormer then fair play to him. Of course I will change my mind. I want the best players playing for Ireland. But that is the reason why I'm not happy with his call-up. I don't think he's good enough.

I didn't say that his call-up can be attributed to tokenism. However, I do think there are better players available to Stan.

There are plenty of examples of players that didn't make it in the English game that have gone on to prove themselves in the international game. I'll take some Swedish examples - Alexandersson and Linderroth (both Everton), Teddy Lucic (Leeds), Anders Svensson (Southampton) and Mattias Jonsson (Norwich). All the above names were no great shakes in English football yet all are regulars in Sweden's starting eleven for the world cup. And what does this say. Simple. Just because a foreign player doesn't make it in English football doesn't mean there is no future for them and that there're "not good enough". Be honest. Your opinion about Gamble is based solely on the fact that he is playing EL football - and put kindly, is inaccurate and misguided.

Dodge
13/05/2006, 10:03 PM
Fairly sure the players above all had success at a much better level than the el though....

Plastic Paddy
13/05/2006, 10:03 PM
When I said fair play to Joe he deserves it, it was not a dig at you. Your entitled to your opinion!! You are being a bit over sensitive.

Apoligise? I stand by what I said - who does give a s**t if your a mod?
Answer: nobody - except for you

You're right Joe, I'm just sticking up for myself. Apologies for the over-spikiness; it's been a long day... :o

ifk101
13/05/2006, 10:10 PM
To you I concede nothing. You should notice that my concessionary point on Gamble was made before you started this high-horse rodeo. :rolleyes:

Your opinion of Gamble is built on what you think you saw two years ago in the Conference - you think his call up is a joke.

"Concessionary point". Please. You hope he does well - well done in pointing out what every genuine fan of the national team wants.

Deep down you want him to fail because that would justify your "joke" opinion.

joema
13/05/2006, 10:12 PM
You're right Joe, I'm just sticking up for myself. Apologies for the over-spikiness; it's been a long day... :o

No bother! Tis just a bit of fun anyway;)

Plastic Paddy
13/05/2006, 10:12 PM
Your opinion of Gamble is built on what you think you saw two years ago in the Conference - you think his call up is a joke.

"Concessionary point". Please. You hope he does well - well done in pointing out what every genuine fan of the national team wants.

Deep down you want him to fail because that would justify your "joke" opinion.

Read what you like into my response - I speak as an FA-qualified coach so I know well what "I thought" I saw. :rolleyes:

Let it go. Notice the trend - I conceded on this to everyone but you. Take your time in figuring out just why that might be. :rolleyes:

ifk101
13/05/2006, 10:14 PM
Fairly sure the players above all had success at a much better level than the el though....

Look up which teams all of the players I mentioned are playing for now. Please pay special attention to Teddy Lucic and, I'll give you this one, his current club Häcken. Please also take note of Cork's exploits against Swedish opposition in recent years because it wasn't a fluke, rather a true reflection of where EL football is at.

A face
13/05/2006, 10:16 PM
There are plenty of examples of players that didn't make it in the English game that have gone on to prove themselves in the international game. I'll take some Swedish examples - Alexandersson and Linderroth (both Everton), Teddy Lucic (Leeds), Anders Svensson (Southampton) and Mattias Jonsson (Norwich). All the above names were no great shakes in English football yet all are regulars in Sweden's starting eleven for the world cup. And what does this say. Simple. Just because a foreign player doesn't make it in English football doesn't mean there is no future for them and that there're "not good enough". Be honest. Your opinion about Gamble is based solely on the fact that he is playing EL football - and put kindly, is inaccurate and misguided.

Man ... i wouldn't even debate it .... truth be told ... Jamaican PM and his ilk are happy when they completely rely on English clubs and scouts and coaches to do the work of the FAI and the national team, if someone slips through and they dont 'make it' then Jamaican PM and the like are completely happy and trusting of the situation, even though there are a million parameters and metrics that hinge on a player 'making it' they are completely trusting of clubs in a different country to make the decision for them.

And you'll never hear of them referring to that ratio of Irish young players that 'make it' across the water compared to those who dont, because they didn't make they were obviously not good enough and that can be the only reason that can be considered, nothing else would effect it, managers changing, clubs going down, injuries ... none of that is taken into account because it has nothing to do with it, its clearly because the guy just wasn't good enough. They know best, Johnny Giles said so.

TheJamaicanP.M.
13/05/2006, 10:17 PM
Be honest. Your opinion about Gamble is based solely on the fact that he is playing EL football - and put kindly, is inaccurate and misguided.

My opinion is based on having seen Gamble play a number of games in the EL. He's not good enough to be anywhere near the international set-up. I think you'll find that I haven't complained about Jason Byrne's inclusion. That's because I think that Byrne might be able to offer something to the squad. Therefore, my opinion on Gamble is not based on prejudice towards the EL.

As for the list of Swedes you provided, I think you'll find that there's a difference between not being able to make it in the Premiership, as opposed to not being able to make it in the lower leagues cross channel.

joema
13/05/2006, 10:19 PM
Please also take note of Cork's exploits against Swedish opposition in recent years because it wasn't a fluke, rather a true reflection of where EL football is at.

Also, iirc that Johnson lad (who used to play for Norwich) was playing for Djurgarden against Cork last year

ifk101
13/05/2006, 10:19 PM
Read what you like into my response - I speak as an FA-qualified coach so I know well what "I thought" I saw. :rolleyes:

Let it go. Notice the trend - I conceded on this to everyone but you. Take your time in figuring out just why that might be. :rolleyes:

Look your responses are long past embarrassing now. First it was "I'm a mod" and now its "I'm a FA-qualified coach". Give it a break.

Can you actually describe what Joe Gamble looks like?

Plastic Paddy
13/05/2006, 10:22 PM
Can you actually describe what Joe Gamble looks like?

Ugly.

http://www.corkcityfc.ie/playerprofiles/gamble.htm

A face
13/05/2006, 10:29 PM
Ugly.

http://www.corkcityfc.ie/playerprofiles/gamble.htm

Here he is !! (http://corkcityfc.ie/gallery/displayimage.php?album=165&pos=19)

TheJamaicanP.M.
13/05/2006, 10:38 PM
Man ... i wouldn't even debate it .... truth be told ... Jamaican PM and his ilk are happy when they completely rely on English clubs and scouts and coaches to do the work of the FAI and the national team, if someone slips through and they dont 'make it' then Jamaican PM and the like are completely happy and trusting of the situation, even though there are a million parameters and metrics that hinge on a player 'making it' they are completely trusting of clubs in a different country to make the decision for them.

Face, your suggestion is completely false in terms of my interest in Irish football. I follow young Irish players that are coming through, whether it be in England or the EL. I know that its a thin line between success and failure and I know that most dont make it.

However, you're making an assumption based on the fact that I don't want Joe Gamble in the squad. It has nothing to do with him being an EL player. He's just not good enough. If he was with a Championship team I'd say the same. I said earlier in this thread that Darren Potter is not good enough for the Ireland squad. However, you didn't query my motive for that statement.

TheJamaicanP.M.
13/05/2006, 10:40 PM
Here he is !! (http://corkcityfc.ie/gallery/displayimage.php?album=165&pos=19)

If he dyed that mohawk to resemble a tricolour, he would look very like Christian Ziege.

ifk101
13/05/2006, 10:42 PM
My opinion is based on having seen Gamble play a number of games in the EL. He's not good enough to be anywhere near the international set-up. I think you'll find that I haven't complained about Jason Byrne's inclusion. That's because I think that Byrne might be able to offer something to the squad. Therefore, my opinion on Gamble is not based on prejudice towards the EL.

As for the list of Swedes you provided, I think you'll find that there's a difference between not being able to make it in the Premiership, as opposed to not being able to make it in the lower leagues cross channel.

Interesting. Are you saying that Stan is incompetent in picking Gamble?

And I'll think you'll find that if you ask the fans of Everton, Southampton and Norwich if the previously mentioned Swedish players would get a game with their local pub sides, the answer would be an emphatic no. But hey - there're probably mods of an Irish football forum and have a foreign coaching badge of some sort so there opinion is misguided.

TheJamaicanP.M.
13/05/2006, 10:50 PM
Interesting. Are you saying that Stan is incompetent in picking Gamble?

And I'll think you'll find that if you ask the fans of Everton, Southampton and Norwich if the previously mentioned Swedish players would get a game with their local pub sides, the answer would be an emphatic no. But hey - there're probably mods of an Irish football forum and have a foreign coaching badge of some sort so there opinion is misguided.

I certainly don't think Stan is incompetent just because he has a different opinion on player to me.

I think your arguing on PP (who's a good moderator) is pathetic. Frankly, its the attitude of you and fans like you that turns people away from the EL.

Dodge
13/05/2006, 10:57 PM
Frankly, its the attitude of you and fans like you that turns people away from the EL.
So its not the substanderd football or facilities? Alot of people on this thread would want to grow up. Fast...

soccerc
13/05/2006, 11:00 PM
Read what you like into my response - I speak as an FA-qualified coach so I know well what "I thought" I saw. :rolleyes: PP

Is that an indictment? Didn't you know the FA coaching system is not well regarded outside of England?:D

Plastic Paddy
14/05/2006, 8:23 AM
Is that an indictment?

If you saw the state of me you'd know that's exactly what it is. :o

Didn't you know the FA coaching system is not well regarded outside of England?

I can't say I'm surprised to be honest. Thankfully (for the sake of both the poor players and for the system's reputation) I've not used my qualification for some years now... ;)

Superhoops
14/05/2006, 9:02 AM
Interesting. Are you saying that Stan is incompetent in picking Gamble?....
I am surprised that no one has yet suggested that Pat Devlin might be to blame or due some credit for Gamble's call-up, after all he is Staunton's EL adviser!

People should also put this issue into perspective. Gamble has been called into a big training squad to replace 2 players who are unavailable because of the Championship play-offs and one injured player. Also, he will only be joining the squad in Portugal halfway through their training camp. Finally, I would think that unless there are several injuries or withdrawals there is no chance of him having any involvement into the Chile game.

eirebhoy
14/05/2006, 9:28 AM
What sort of signal does this send out to the likes of Lee Carsley, Rory Delap, Mark Kennedy, Glenn Whelan, Gareth and James O'Connor, etc. Even Willie Boland is of a higher standard to Gamble.
Carsley has started 3 games this season because of injury. I haven't seen Delap recently but he wasn't rated at all by Southampton fans, certainly not as a central midfielder. Maybe things have changed with Sunderland. Hasn't Kennedy being playing at left back? Glenn Whelan has had a very bad season and certainly doesn't deserve a callup. Garreth O'Connor is a real attacking midfielder and Gamble's place shouldn't affect him. James O'Connor is the only player I believe is a worthy candidate for a callup for the training camp.

pete
14/05/2006, 11:20 AM
Another picture (http://corkcityfc.ie/gallery/displayimage.php?album=124&pos=7)

I don't think anyone is suggesting that Gamble is going to get into a 22 man squad when all players are fit but he deserves his chance in extended squad.

None of the players mentioned above him at playing at a significantly higher level. Aside from Carsley who retired when couldn't get in the squad all are playing in lower CHampionship teams or below.

soccerc
14/05/2006, 1:10 PM
Glenn Whelan has had a very bad season and certainly doesn't deserve a callup. Garreth O'Connor is a real attacking midfielder and Gamble's place shouldn't affect him. James O'Connor is the only player I believe is a worthy candidate for a callup for the training camp.

In fairness to Glenn he has played through the pain barrier for a lot of the past season and withdrew from the Under 21 squad becasue of that injury. Wouldn't be at all surprised if he went under the knife in the coming days!

Raheny Red
14/05/2006, 2:08 PM
Fair pay to the lad.

When was the last time that two eL players were in the same squad, apart from Weso and Crowe against Greece?

Dodge
14/05/2006, 2:48 PM
Lol :d

Cosmo
14/05/2006, 5:01 PM
PP, what the f**k are ye on about? :rolleyes:

I'm hardly one to stcik up for the l@ngers but fair play to joey gamble - best midfielder in the league by far - really hope he does well for himself as I reckon competition is very tough for places in the centre of midfield (though not a great standard if that makes sense!!)

Btw I wouldn't be surprised to see Jason Gavin get a call up soon. We don't have much in centre defence and I reckon Gavin is as good as most of them. Obviously Steve Coppell thinks so too as Reading are sniffing around him - and look at what happened to the last 2 EL players he signed!

Thankfully we can hold on to our better players these days though and are not a selling club :)

Roverstillidie
14/05/2006, 5:08 PM
christ on a bike thie thread is depressing. classic platic hammer v real fans. joe gambles is in the top 10 midfielders we have and as such makes the 29 when injuries and engerlish playoffs are taken into account.

need i remind people that theiry henry was a total flop in italy? and gamble was released as part of cost cutting when barnet went down? big deal, a move went wrong for him, so he came home to build it back up again and has gotten his reward. would he earn more in the chamionship 2 or whatever its been renamed this week?

best part about this is that langers being a selling club means they are less likely to keep him as a result of this exposure

Cosmo
14/05/2006, 5:11 PM
best part about this is that langers being a selling club means they are less likely to keep him as a result of this exposure

Probably - how long does he have left on his contract I wonder?

Roverstillidie
14/05/2006, 5:19 PM

and does dolans brother know the buy out clause to the euro? :D

lets all laugh at cáwk

Qwerty
14/05/2006, 5:25 PM
I'm a Cork City supporter, Gamble is good in eL terms but not international class. I have no objections to him being called into a large group for a training camp. I'm not sure what Stan's rationale is for calling him up but I have to say it looks odd when James O'Connor who has been a very consistent player for Stoke and Burnley is not called up ( unless he is injured but I don't believe he is. )

And the ultimate self-promoter Roddy 'Wankah' Collins wants to **** on everybody's parade....

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/boysingreen/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=22515

Roddy wary of Byrne inclusion

May 14, 2006

Former Bohemians and Dublin City boss Roddy Collins has labelled Jason Byrne’s call-up to the Republic of Ireland senior squad as a “political” decision by Irish manager Steve Staunton.

Byrne was the sole eircom League player included in a 29-man senior squad for a training camp in Portugal followed by the friendly against Chile at Lansdowne Road on May 24th.

But Collins is wary of Staunton’s motives for including the prolific Shelbourne striker, claiming that there are better players in the lower divisions of the English league.

He told Newstalk 106: “It’s a political move. Brian Kerr went down that road and Steve Staunton is going the same route.

“Fair play to Jason, I hope he enjoys his holiday. But you have Richie Foran, [Lee] Trundle, a stack of players in the lower leagues who would be superior to Jason. It’s a cosmetic, political decision.”

eirebhoy
14/05/2006, 6:12 PM
The way people were talking I thought Gamble failed in the conference. From my little bit of googling it seemed his season in the conference was a success. He started 44 games in the season.

http://www.griffinpark.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25801
"This lad is on-loan to Barnet from Reading, and is their consistent performer this season."

Reading's director of football:
"Joe had a season-long loan at Barnet and did very well for them," Hammond told the club's official website.

"But he's now at the stage where he needs to be playing regularly in the centre of midfield, and given the quality of players in that position already at the club, it's unlikely he'd do that here next season."

Steve Finnan was playing English division 3 football at 22 and spent the following season in division 2, look at him now. With the role Gamble has it's hard to judge whether he'll be able for a step up. imo Graham Kavanagh was good enough to be playing premiership football all his career but nobody bought him.

micls
14/05/2006, 6:17 PM

Just signed a new 2 year contract recently so wont be going anywhere cheap anyway

Cosmo
14/05/2006, 6:29 PM
Just signed a new 2 year contract recently so wont be going anywhere cheap anyway

Good to hear, its great having him in the league! :)

Peadar
14/05/2006, 7:12 PM
PP, what the f**k are ye on about? :rolleyes:

Think you need to read the thread in full. PP was after a hard day and fancied a bit of a wind-up. Deep down, he'd probably like to see Joe being a success as much of the rest of us would.

It's funny seeing a Rover coming on here calling City a selling club. At least we're not a club who gets relegated and gives all our players away. :rolleyes:

4tothefloor
14/05/2006, 7:37 PM
I don't think Joe Gamble is good enough for international football. Wes Houlihan is a better footballer, is he injured or was he just over looked? (Sorry, don't follow the SPL closely.....)

Peadar
14/05/2006, 7:43 PM
Wes Houlihan is a better footballer, is he injured or was he just over looked? (Sorry, don't follow the SPL closely.....)

You may not be aware of this but Wes was part of the team which was relegated with the lowest ever points in the league. Hardly suitable preparation for a player if he was hoping to join the Ireland squad. Being in a league below us, you're unlikely to have seen as much of Joe as we have.

Roverstillidie
14/05/2006, 7:59 PM
It's funny seeing a Rover coming on here calling City a selling club. At least we're not a club who gets relegated and gives all our players away. :rolleyes:

as opposed to just folding and starting again like cork celtic/hibs/alberts/united etc etc etc? i remember outnumbering you lot 10-1 in bishopstown, so hold off being a smartarse.

we employed roderick, we live with the consequences.

and do i need point out that we have provided more players to the senior side than any other club, here or overseas. how many have you provided? 0?

Peadar
14/05/2006, 8:36 PM
Aahh, poor little Rovers feeling left out so they have to hijack this thread and dig out the history book. We've heard it all before, move on. You really should stop living in the past and support Shamrock Rovers FC Est. 2005