PDA

View Full Version : Neville names squad

Sniffer
13/05/2006, 2:00 PM
Can anyone clear this one up for me. This is a Republic of Ireland semi pro squad for a 4 nations tournament being held in England from May 23rd. Competeing sides are Ireland,England,Scotland, Wales. It's not an U 21 squad, 'cos if it is there are a few bangers on it,it may be a league representative squad; the name doesn't suggest this though. The headscratcher is that Mark Mc Chrystal[Derry City] is named in the squad, and he's also named in Northern Ireland's U-21 squad for a friendly game against Scotland this week???

Raheny Red
13/05/2006, 2:21 PM
From Shelsweb (http://forum.shelbournefc.ie/chat/viewtopic.php?t=5807)

el punter
13/05/2006, 3:07 PM
I haven't been able to figure what this competition is all about either. It seems to be a random squad of up and coming players - I don't see the point of it or where the prestige lies?

Speranza
13/05/2006, 3:12 PM
It's a league representative squad and not international.

dcfcsteve
15/05/2006, 10:24 AM
It's a league representative squad for amateur players - not pros. Hence the EL names are not our top players - as the sides we're facing are drawn from the English Conference and the Scottish Highlands League.

I suspect there may also be an age element to it as well for our players.

pete
15/05/2006, 3:43 PM
I suspect there may also be an age element to it as well for our players.

Players used to be only those U21 non fully paid pros. I don't know if the age rule is a strict one.