PDA

View Full Version : Bad news for Given in my view.

NeilMcD
12/05/2006, 1:56 PM
Newcastle goalkeeper Shay Given has signed a new five-year contract which will keep him at the club until 2011.
The 30-year-old Republic of Ireland international keeper joined Newcastle from Blackburn for £1.5m in 1997.

Newcastle have had defensive problems this season - conceding 55 goals in 38 games, but Given has been one of the team's most consistent performers.

"I'm extremely delighted to get my new contract sorted," Given told the Newcastle club website.

Getting the deal done with Shay is a great way to start the summer

Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd

The new deal will keep the goalkeeper, who was named in the Premiership's team of the season, with Newcastle until he is 35.

Given was made stand-in captain by caretaker boss Glenn Roeder in the absence of Alan Shearer towards the end of this season. "I've already had nine great years here and I'm now looking forward to five more," added Given.

"Hopefully we can win something in that time because I'm still very hungry to win things as a Newcastle player."

Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd said: "Getting the deal done with Shay is a great way to start the summer.

"He's Mr Reliable - he's only missed two Premiership matches in the last five seasons and we wouldn't swap him for anyone.

"Shay is still only 30, so as a goalkeeper he has plenty of years left at the very top."

In February, Given was been named as the Republic of Ireland's Player of the Year for his international displays.

drinkfeckarse
12/05/2006, 2:37 PM
Contracts mean F-all these days. It just means Newcastle will get a decent fee for him should he leave. For all we know there could be a dozen clauses in there which his agent could quite easily leak.

Paddy Garcia
12/05/2006, 2:59 PM
The most important thing is he will get plenty of practice.

Risteard
12/05/2006, 3:08 PM
Terrible decision.
I mean Victor Valdes is useless like.

LeixlipRed
12/05/2006, 5:17 PM
as a newcastle fan im delighted he's signed as i firmly believe that Given is among the Top 5 Best keepers in the world. His all round quality is unmatched in the Premiership at least. However, I think he shoulld have moved on to win things. I wouldnt begrudge him a move to Chelsea/Arsenal/L'Pool, etc. Its sad to see such a great player never win anything. And i cant see newcastle winning anything in the next 5 years

Karlos
13/05/2006, 12:22 AM
Would echo the sentiments that the most important thing for Shay is that he's playing well, enjoying his footie and his life. Newcastle seems to be his ideal club. Fair play to him :)

joema
13/05/2006, 10:14 PM
Great news for Ireland IMO - keeps Given busy, no fear of complacency, appreciated and confident

tricky_colour
15/05/2006, 1:40 AM
Newcastle have done well under Glen Roeder though, they will be a top
5 club if their current form continues. Mind you if Glen gets his coaching badges they will probably get relegated!!

OwlsFan
16/05/2006, 11:00 AM
The most important thing is he will get plenty of practice.

:D :D :D As someone said, contracts mean very little these days and as a goalkeeper he is just as likely to play well for Newcastle than for Chelsea if he signed for them. I fear he is due one of his poor spells though soon which he has had once in a while - hopefully not to coincide with our campaign in the Autumn.