PDA

View Full Version : How many City players could hold their own in Stan's squad?

kingcolers
12/05/2006, 10:10 AM
Given that Jason Byrne is in Stan's latest squad, and there might be a few vacancies cuz of Miller and Douglas being involved in the play-offs, I was wondering how many City players could really, honestly, genuinely make a decent contribution down in Portugal and in the game v Chile. Here are my thoughts:

George: obviously has the talent but not sure if he has it upstairs. Liable to do something silly, i reckon

Gamble: would seem like an obvious replacement for miller or douglas. cant imagine him looking outclassed or anything. wonder why he didnt make it at reading??

Roy: i think his speed would make up for any other deficiencies.

Don't think anybody else would really deserve a call-up. Maybe the cockney rebel but is he eligible?

razor
12/05/2006, 10:35 AM
Maybe the cockney rebel but is he eligible?He is.

Shelsman
12/05/2006, 1:04 PM
Gamble, O'Donovan and Murphy have all been sent off recently -this hardly does their case any good? At least O'Donovan is getting some exposure in the Ireland U21s.
I think Murphy is outstanding going forward but can be found wanting sometimes in defence ( he can over commit himself sometimes by sliding in when he could stay on his feet ).

If Neale Fenn had a bit more pace and put himself about more ( e.g. challenge for more headers etc ) he might have a case. He has the best touch of any player at City, not to mention the moronic touch of players like Alan Lee and Gary Doherty.

If John O'Flynn was scoring a lot ( e.g. more goals than most other Irish strikers across the water ) then he would be hard to ignore ( provided the rest of his game was up to scratch too ).

Risteard
12/05/2006, 3:00 PM
Good few of them could hold their own but do any of them genuinely warrant a call up?
Joe Gamble, just about.
End of.

pete
12/05/2006, 4:30 PM
Gamble is best player in the league & under-rated.

O'Flynn has shown a glimmer of his best from few years back but chronic injury problems means very hard for him to get even 4-5 weeks of games in a row & show his ability.

A face
12/05/2006, 6:01 PM
Joe Gamble .... thats it right now i'm afraid.

RedX
12/05/2006, 11:34 PM
There is no way Gamble is good enough for the Irish International team...as good as he is for City in the eircom league there is just no way...i think the Shels fan above is right about Fenn...great touch and vision but pace is gone..if it was still there he would not be playing eircom league football...

A face
13/05/2006, 1:53 AM
There is no way Gamble is good enough for the Irish International team...as good as he is for City in the eircom league there is just no way

What does he need to do to warrant a place in your eyes ??

pete
13/05/2006, 10:54 AM
If anyone capable of making the international SQUAD it would be Gamble.

Miller couldn't cut it in the Premiership but doing well in the Championship. Miller isn't the best midfielder in the Championship whereas Gambles the best here. Not a million miles apart.

martin_rules_ie
13/05/2006, 2:30 PM
There is no way Gamble is good enough for the Irish International team...as good as he is for City in the eircom league there is just no way...i think the Shels fan above is right about Fenn...great touch and vision but pace is gone..if it was still there he would not be playing eircom league football...

Is that so? Stan seems to think differently. He rang Joey today, meeting up with the squad in Portugal after the Shels and Derry game. ;)

Fair_play_boy
13/05/2006, 4:35 PM
Is that so? Stan seems to think differently. He rang Joey today, meeting up with the squad in Portugal after the Shels and Derry game. ;)Source please?

Soko
13/05/2006, 5:26 PM
There is no way Gamble is good enough for the Irish International team...as good as he is for City in the eircom league there is just no way...

Good call

pete
13/05/2006, 5:26 PM
Source please?

Aertel.

Fair_play_boy
13/05/2006, 5:44 PM
I am really happy for the guy, and for Irish soccer. It is a sign that the Eircom League has moved up another notch in quality, that 4 players who were in Irish clubs a year ago are now being considered for international duty.

A face
13/05/2006, 9:05 PM
I am really happy for the guy, and for Irish soccer. It is a sign that the Eircom League has moved up another notch in quality, that 4 players who were in Irish clubs a year ago are now being considered for international duty.

I am sorry if i am sounding pessimistic but he is only there because other have dropped out of the running, i wonder would it be the same if it were a competitive game like qualifiers ??

But, i am agreed .... its great for the league.

sullanefc
13/05/2006, 10:34 PM
On the original question of who in the city team would merit a call up, ye all missed one obvious one.... Mick Devine... Best keeper in the league and IMO deserves to be 3rd choice at least.

pete
14/05/2006, 11:10 AM
On the original question of who in the city team would merit a call up, ye all missed one obvious one.... Mick Devine... Best keeper in the league and IMO deserves to be 3rd choice at least.

Loses out on age. Better to have young promising keeper as 3rd choice to get experience as not going to get a game anyway.

RedX
15/05/2006, 12:40 AM
I hold my hands up...well done Joe Gamble and all the best!

kingcolers
15/05/2006, 10:49 AM
I am sorry if i am sounding pessimistic but he is only there because other have dropped out of the running, i wonder would it be the same if it were a competitive game like qualifiers ??

Probably not, but its a start isn't it? If nothing else, staunton seems to be good at PR and knows how to keep the eL fans on side. But to be honest, i reckon its genuine recognition for the standard of football in the league.

by the way, i dont recall anybody giving staunton any plaudits for attending the setanta cup final (and having a few beers in kennedy's beforehand). kerr was lambasted for ignoring the eL so we should give stan his dues when he makes the effort...

Shelsman
15/05/2006, 1:01 PM
Probably not, but its a start isn't it? If nothing else, staunton seems to be good at PR and knows how to keep the eL fans on side. But to be honest, i reckon its genuine recognition for the standard of football in the league.
by the way, i dont recall anybody giving staunton any plaudits for attending the setanta cup final (and having a few beers in kennedy's beforehand). ...

Good PR for him, yes, but also good PR / advertisement for the league -which may be a long term goal for him ( have a very high standard eL and then he has a whole pool of top players to choose from in Ireland, just look at the squads for the likes of Sweden, Denmark etc where they always have a number of domestic players in every squad ).

When you think of it, not only is it extra PR for the league but it may give the league a financial shot in the arm if foreign clubs start to buy eL players in the international squad -just a thought...and so the cycle continues, players return home ( or are home bred, better still ) and then they are bought for big bucks, then the next player comes through etc.

kerr was lambasted for ignoring the eL so we should give stan his dues when he makes the effort...

Fair play to him so! ( he must have missed the fisticuffs at the end! ) Seriously though, I'm delighted for Gamble, City and the eL.

When you think of it, it is only by having full time clubs that this is possible. I can't imagine Stan calling up a part-timer.

JackeenRebel
16/05/2006, 8:37 AM
I dont know, Joe has come on leaps and bounds last season. He is not worth a place before Reid as the holding player in midfield in a full international with all players fit but like the lads above say 'its a start'.

Honestly, I think he is the only player on the city team right now that would get called up.

I know people might say, What about O'Callaghan? He is one of the best in the league no questions asked and his goal last night will raise a few eye brows but where do you play him? He is not strong enough for midfield, not 'winger minded' for the right and not better than Doyler or Keane up front. Then again, I suppose you could have worse on the bench. Morrison springs to mind. That question about will keep re-appearing for him though about English born Irish players.