PDA

View Full Version : Impact of Joe Royle leaving Ipswich

livehead1
11/05/2006, 5:31 PM
joe royle left the club today, this could have a huge impact on a number of our young talents, including owen garven and shane supple. gotta be a worrying time, with him in charge, you could see even more young lads coming through.

drinkfeckarse
12/05/2006, 7:49 AM
It could be but I suspect it won't have a major effect. Whoever comes in is not going to have money to spend and will have to rely on their feeder system which incidently is regarded as one of the best in Britain. Youth will play a major part for them and I think Garvan in particular will have a big role to play in the team.

gspain
12/05/2006, 7:59 AM
Still has to be a concern though. New guy might fancy a few journeymen pros.

drinkfeckarse
12/05/2006, 8:28 AM
It might be a problem for Supple but I can't see it effecting Garven, he's one of their main men now...

tetsujin1979
12/05/2006, 8:57 AM
What about Clarke? He's been out on loan to gain experience, new lad might want to sell him to bring in funds.

CraftyToePoke
12/05/2006, 9:03 AM
even though ipswich wont have much money to spend its still dodgy for the youngsters there, if they were going to persist with youth then surely a guy like Royle is perfect for the job, could well see the new man add a few 'experienced pros' id say, theres enough of them about with the prem sides having a big clear out this year.

i wouldnt describe either Supple or Garvan as fully established yet and Clarke was very highly regarded by Royle, but it could all go back into the melting pot with a new man.

drummerboy
12/05/2006, 9:38 AM
Surprised to see Ipswich sacking Joe Royal. It was hardly the managers fault. All he had was kids. No money to purchase decent players. I think the only player he bought last season was Alan Lee, who after a decent start got injured. Clubs like these are looking for miracle workers.

as_i_say
12/05/2006, 11:58 AM
was alan lee only there on loan tho?

drinkfeckarse
12/05/2006, 2:35 PM
no he signed for them permanently, £200,000 I grand I think.

Stuttgart88
16/05/2006, 9:34 AM
Although it's said he's on his way to Australia, one of the UK papers this morning suggested Tony Mowbray would be a good candidate to replace Royle. He's clearly a talented manager and had Ipswich connections. Importantly he has also shown a willingness to work with youngsters and has been successful with young players up at Hibs.

Dodge
16/05/2006, 10:23 AM
Young players that he brought in from Ipswich mostly.

OwlsFan
16/05/2006, 10:56 AM
If the young players are good enough they'll succeed no matter who the manager is. I have an acquaintance (English) who is an Ipswich fan and who really rates Garvan so we shouldn't worry unduly.

CraftyToePoke
16/05/2006, 1:02 PM
If the young players are good enough they'll succeed no matter who the manager is. I have an acquaintance (English) who is an Ipswich fan and who really rates Garvan so we shouldn't worry unduly.

hope you are right owlsfan, my girlfriend works with a season ticket holder at portman road, who himself played semi-pro, and he rates Garvan very highly, thinks the world of him.

but i think circumstance can dictate the path of a career every bit as much as abilty unfortunately, for example, i believe if middlesboro hadnt spent so heavily on continental players in the mid 90's them Kavanagh might have had a career in the prem, we can now see he is comfortably good enough to earn his living there, but what good did it do him at the time?

also didnt Callaghan at cork get into the port vale(i think) side at a very young age and was beginning to attract attention from sides higher up untill they changed manager and he found himself back in the youth side.

Risteard
16/05/2006, 7:05 PM
That's right.