PDA

View Full Version : Training camp / Chile squad announced

Pages : [1] 2

pineapple stu
08/05/2006, 12:37 PM
Link here (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/boysingreen/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=22401).

Squad in full -
Goalkeepers: Shay Given (Newcastle United), Paddy Kenny (Sheffield United), Wayne Henderson (Brighton).

Defenders: Gary Breen (Sunderland), Ian Harte (Levante), Steve Finnan (Liverpool), Andy O’Brien (Portsmouth), Richard Dunne (Manchester City), John O’Shea (Manchester United), Stephen Kelly (Spurs), Joey O’Brien (Bolton Wanderers).

Midfielders: Liam Miller (Manchester United – on loan at Leeds United), Kevin Kilbane (Everton), Steven Reid (Blackburn Rovers), Andy Reid (Spurs), Damien Duff (Chelsea), Graham Kavanagh (Wigan Athletic), Jonathan Douglas (Blackburn Rovers – on loan at Leeds United), Liam Lawrence (Sunderland), Alan Quinn (Sheffield United), Michael Doyle (Coventry City).

Forwards: Robbie Keane (Tottenham Hotspur), Clinton Morrison (Crystal Palace), Kevin Doyle (Reading), Stephen Elliott (Sunderland), Jason Byrne (Shelbourne), Alan Lee (Ipswich Town), Aiden McGeady (Celtic), Terry Dixon (Spurs).

Few interesting names there. Jason Byrne obviously, but Terry Dixon has come from nowhere - never even heard of him! Both are in ahead of Doherty and Connolly, whose international careers could now be over (unless they're injured...?), along with Nicky Colgan. Mark Kennedy also out - never understood that. He's only 30 or something and is a consistent performer in Division 1. Stephen Carr is on holidays but will be back in contention from then on. Anyone else missing?

joema
08/05/2006, 12:46 PM
McCarthy should be in there IMO. Also, surely Long is ahead of Dixon in the pecking order??! Seeing as he picked Jason Byrne Im surprised he didnt pick Gamble - he was brilliant in the setanta cup final

livehead1
08/05/2006, 12:52 PM
is that a joke?? terry dixon, who is behind LEE BARNARD in the pecking order at spurs has been called up to the irish international senior squad.... i think we can safely say there is NO chance of connolly, trundle, doherty or anyone else getting a chance. i cant believe it.

good to see byrne in there. now lets see what the EL is made of, he had a chance before, now he has another one.

FarBeag
08/05/2006, 1:07 PM
Some strange choices there to say the least. No McCarthy, no Trundle. Obviously Staunton knows Doyle from his Coventry days but wtf is the story with Lee Dixon? Has he ever played a premiership game for Spurs? Maybe he is the only one that Staunton could get with his use of the Granny rule and this is his way of proving it.

gustavo
08/05/2006, 1:13 PM
Bit of a kick in the teeth to Lee Trundle. I presume thats him done with us for good now ?

Qwerty
08/05/2006, 1:14 PM
It's Terry and anyone interested in Irish football knows he is a top prospect who has done very well at under age level. His father is English and his mother is Irish, Stan may just be trying to ensure he stays in the Irish camp as his is very highly thought of at Spurs. I say cap him now.

tetsujin1979
08/05/2006, 1:16 PM
Dixon plays for the U-17s and impressed in the recent qualifying series, coming off the bench to equalise late on against Israel and playing well against Macedonia, despite not scoring. He showed real talent, and is going to be one to watch. However, as has been mentioned on the board before, he was born in London to an Irish mother and and English father, and his father reportedly wants him to declare for England. I agree with totalfootball that calling him into this meet up - not the final squad for Chile - is only to get him deeper engrained in the Irish setup. Also there are 3 other players from Spurs in the squad (Keane, Reid and Kelly, although Reid and Kelly may leave in the close season) to make the transition even smoother.
There are glaring omissions here, McCarthy and Doherty among them, but Clinton may yet be involved in the play off final (pigs well fed and ready for take off), ditto Miller and Douglas so others may receive a late call up. As for Trundle, Swansea are in the League One play offs at the moment, so it's not too surprising he wasn't called in.
The size of the squad is irrelevant, to be honest I expected a minimum of 30, and we know that at least 8 of these players will be dropped for Chile.

livehead1
08/05/2006, 1:21 PM
Dixon plays for the U-17s and impressed in the recent qualifying series, coming off the bench to equalise late on against Israel and playing well against Macedonia, despite not scoring. He showed real talent, and is going to be one to watch. However, as has been mentioned on the board before, he was born in London to an Irish mother and and English father, and his father reportedly wants him to declare for England. I agree with totalfootball that calling him into this meet up - not the final squad for Chile - is only to get him deeper engrained in the Irish setup. Also there are 3 other players from Spurs in the squad (Keane, Reid and Kelly, although Reid and Kelly may leave in the close season) to make the transition even smoother.
There are glaring omissions here, McCarthy and Doherty among them, but Clinton may yet be involved in the play off final (pigs well fed and ready for take off), ditto Miller and Douglas so others may receive a late call up. As for Trundle, Swansea are in the League One play offs at the moment, so it's not too surprising he wasn't called in.
The size of the squad is irrelevant, to be honest I expected a minimum of 30, and we know that at least 8 of these players will be dropped for Chile.

miller and douglas are both involved in play offs yet they were called up

livehead1
08/05/2006, 1:25 PM
its unbelievable. a joke. i cant believe he aint getting hardly any stick for this. since when has a player, aged 16/17, never made a debut at their club, never even made a reserve team appearance, been chosen for a SENIOR international training camp/friendly game, of a nation with the footballing history and ability of ireland. truly shocking stuff.

tetsujin1979
08/05/2006, 1:25 PM
miller and douglas are both involved in play offs yet they were called up
I know. I mentioned them. And Clinton.

its unbelievable. a joke. i cant believe he aint getting hardly any stick for this. since when has a player, aged 16/17, never made a debut at their club, never even made a reserve team appearance, been chosen for a SENIOR international training camp/friendly game, of a nation with the footballing history and ability of ireland. truly shocking stuff.
I'm pretty sure Wales and the North have awarded caps, in competitive games too, to players who have not played for their club senior side. Roy Keane was calling for O'Shea to be brought to the World Cup, despite only having a handful of appearances for Man United at the time. It happens, deal with it. No one is calling for him to start against Germany, it's a reward for playing well.

livehead1
08/05/2006, 1:26 PM
if anything, england have now been alerted to him.

livehead1
08/05/2006, 1:27 PM
no , i mean you say its not suprising that trundle wasnt called in, as he is in the playoffs, but so are miller and douglas and they too are in the play offs. I just think he aint gona get his chance, not with lads as good as terry dixon around.:rolleyes:

drinkfeckarse
08/05/2006, 1:32 PM
Very surprised McCarthy has been left out. I always thought Doyle was under rated, it'll be interesting to see if he can step up tot the mark as he's a very busy little player.

I can't see the logic at all of bringing Dixon along. Surely plenty more worthy candidates?? Tabb, Long etc

TheJamaicanP.M.
08/05/2006, 1:40 PM
I'm delighted for Terry. Saw him play against Serbia and Montenegro at Tolka a few weeks ago. He's got a lot of potential. I think people are getting too worked up over his inclusion. FFS, he's only being brought along to meet the squad and be included in the training. Mick McCarthy called up 4 or 5 novices back in 1998. The likes of Ger Crossley and Barry Quinn, who were at Celtic and Coventry respectively at the time, trained with the senior squad before the May friendly with Mexico.

In fairness, Dixon is probably behind the likes of Mark Yeates and Anthony Stokes in terms of his current potential. It would have even been a surprise if he had been called up to the Under 21s. Nonetheless, he is a very promising player and if he goes on to become a top Premiership striker, I don't think we'll be complaining about his inclusion in a training camp.

As for the full squad, I'm disappointed that Gary Breen has been included ahead of Gary Doherty and Paddy McCarthy. Doherty has finally established himself in one position and I would prefer if Staunton worked with Dunne, O'Brien, Doherty and McCarthy as our four centre-backs.

TheJamaicanP.M.
08/05/2006, 1:43 PM
if anything, england have now been alerted to him.

Don't worry livehead. Terry Dixon won't jump ship. He was quoted a few weeks ago as saying that he loves pulling on the green shirt.

If only a certain Southampton reject with an Irish mother was willing to show the same commitment to Ireland.:rolleyes:

livehead1
08/05/2006, 1:55 PM
Shane Long has just won a Championship medal playing for Reading's 1st team. It is conceivable that he will be playing Premiership football next year and he might be a genuine option for the qualifying games. I don't see how Ireland's interests are best served by leaving him out in favour of a child like Dixon who is still playing children's football. If Dixon has been selected in this squad because he is not Irish-born, then I find this really insulting for Irish propects like Long who are being ignored just because they know they are Irish.

thats exactly how i feel about this. Im not saying that we shouldnt call up inexperienced players but this is taking the ****. can someone outline what he has done in his career or this season that means that he demands a place in the squad ahead of the likes of long, stokes, trundle, keogh, hoolahan, oflynn, or even michael reddy. I think it beggars belief and anyone that things differently is conning themselves.

TheJamaicanP.M.
08/05/2006, 1:56 PM
Shane Long has just won a Championship medal playing for Reading's 1st team. It is conceivable that he will be playing Premiership football next year and he might be a genuine option for the qualifying games. I don't see how Ireland's interests are best served by leaving him out in favour of a child like Dixon who is still playing children's football. If Dixon has been selected in this squad because he is not Irish-born, then I find this really insulting for Irish propects like Long who are being ignored just because they know they are Irish.

Yea thats a fair point. It certainly would have made sense calling Long into the squad. Dixon is probably 15th or 16th in or strikers pecking order. However, I think Stan probably sees a young player of outstanding potential who some compare to Wayne Rooney, and he doesnt want to loose him.
Stan perhaps sees the opportunity to bring Dixon along with 3 Spurs players, thereby providing the type of environment that will allow him to feel at ease.

And if we're honest, the only reason Aiden McGeady was given 10 minutes against Jamaica two years ago (when he had only played a couple of times for Celtic) was so that Scotland wouldn't cap him.

bawn79
08/05/2006, 2:16 PM

I'm pretty sure Wales and the North have awarded caps, in competitive games too, to players who have not played for their club senior side. Roy Keane was calling for O'Shea to be brought to the World Cup, despite only having a handful of appearances for Man United at the time. It happens, deal with it. No one is calling for him to start against Germany, it's a reward for playing well.

England seem to be about to do it with Walcott, bringing a guy to the world cup that has never played in the first team at Arsenal!

NeilMcD
08/05/2006, 2:31 PM
Total football have you ever seen Dixon playing. I think Staunton has said he has every player watched and he has made an assessment in relation to Dixon. The guy is going to be special in my view. I have seen him a few times and he has bundles of talent. If you are a manager you have to make a judgement call on what players you think will make the grade etc. Anybody who has seen Dixon play can see the guy has the potential to go to the very very top of the game.

drummerboy
08/05/2006, 2:34 PM
Spurs have been keeping this kid under wraps, and have really big hopes of him. Bringing him along won't do any harm. Makes more sense than bringing the likes of Jason Byrne who will never be able to contribute to the international team.

cavan_fan
08/05/2006, 2:37 PM
Look he's just being brought along to a training session, I'm surprised more players arent to bed in some new guys. Going on a hunch at this stage is no bad thing.

Now if they were to be bringing him to the world cup without any premiership experience alongside 2 injured players and a giraffe I'd be worried, but what sensible country would do that!

Any chance it's the other Gary Breen that he picked?

CraftyToePoke
08/05/2006, 2:38 PM
the inclusion of Dixon must be purely to strengthen his ties to us just in case he fulfills the potential he is currently showing, still a very strange and unexpected move by Staunton, i know in the past england have capped guys who also qualified for us to tie them, but i dont recall any being queue-jumped into a senior squad like this, theres almost an air of desperation to it. lets hope Dixon turns out to be worth it.

As for Paddy McCarthys exclusion in favour of Breen, it must be in relation to his continuing discilpinary issues as that aside he has done really well in his first full season in a first team, even still, he or McShane or even the Doc must be more in keeping with the current transitional approach.

Docboy
08/05/2006, 2:45 PM

See Theo Walcott has made the England squad along pretty much the same lines.

NeilMcD
08/05/2006, 2:48 PM
I dont know why Dixon has been called up other than the fact that Staunton thinks he is good enough. Everything else is just speculation and I dont like to make judgements based on speculation.

beautifulrock
08/05/2006, 3:01 PM
healty debate on the inclusion of Dixon but from what I hear from the Spurs fans in the office (4 season ticket holders) he has been higly regarded as a "wunderkid" for the last couple of years. As it happens most of these guys also thought him to be english. So if he is keen then I think it should be well done Stan. Lets see what happens. Pity about Long but other than that I have no complaints.

eirebhoy
08/05/2006, 4:14 PM
Yes, but he has played 1st team football for Southampton. Dixon hasn't even played reserve team football, as far as I am aware. Also, Walcott is being selected on footballing merits alone. I very much doubt Dixon is.
Walcott has started 13 first team matches in his career. There's a difference between making the England squad for the World cup and a 29 man Ireland squad for training camp. Walcott has not proved anything yet and it was Leon Best before him that was a star in Southampton's reserves.

The reason Dixon isn't a regular in the Spurs reserves is because of his age. If a 16 year old pushes a 20/21 year old out of the reserves than you might aswell write the 20 year old off. Barnard is 5 years older than Dixon so this season was always make or break for him. Dixon has played a few reserve games and should be a regular next season.

Spurs definitely rate him very highly. Every time he's away with Ireland Spurs only allow him to play a certain amount of minutes. This means that he usually starts on the bench and more often than not scores when he comes on. He must have the best goals/games ratio at Ireland U17 level in a long time and he has probably started about 3 games. Apparantly Man Utd, Liverpool, Spurs, PSG and Lyon were after him and he chose Spurs.

I think it's an excellent idea by Staunton to reward players at underage level with a callup. Celtic have a rule that every match they have to have a reserve/U19 on the bench and it is a good incentive for the players to do better.

gustavo
08/05/2006, 4:19 PM
. Celtic have a rule that every match they have to have a reserve/U19 on the bench and it is a good incentive for the players to do better.
Isnt that an SPL Rule rather than a Celtic rule whereby you need 2 U-21 players in the match day squad?

pineapple stu
08/05/2006, 4:47 PM
I think it's an excellent idea by Staunton to reward players at underage level with a callup.
I agree actually. Stan explained it well - good to see he's taking an active interest in the underage set-up. Though it looks like it's for this occasion only - maybe extending to friendlies - and not competitive games. Which is correct, obviously.

SPL sides are required to have a certain number of U-21 players in the squad alright.

eirebhoy
08/05/2006, 4:47 PM
Isnt that an SPL Rule rather than a Celtic rule whereby you need 2 U-21 players in the match day squad?
I stand corrected. :)

SeanieBoy
08/05/2006, 4:54 PM
This is only a training camp, this type of camp as often been used by international teams to allow younger players to get used to training with the senior members of the squad. I don't see anything wrong with it.

Yes, but he has played 1st team football for Southampton. Dixon hasn't even played reserve team football, as far as I am aware. Also, Walcott is being selected on footballing merits alone. I very much doubt Dixon is.

geysir
08/05/2006, 5:09 PM
As for Paddy McCarthys exclusion in favour of Breen, it must be in relation to his continuing discilpinary issues as that aside he has done really well in his first full season in a first team, even still, he or McShane or even the Doc must be more in keeping with the current transitional approach.
i would more see it that Breen is there for maturity, to complete the blend of the training camp squad.
Anything to read into that O'Shea is listed as a defender?

TheJamaicanP.M.
08/05/2006, 6:11 PM
From http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/articles/dixongetscall.html

Academy boy Terry Dixon has been called up into the Republic of Ireland squad for a training camp and friendly international against Chile.

The 16-year-old, yet to start full-time in our Academy, is one of 29 players named by manager Steve Staunton - Stephen Kelly, Andy Reid and Robbie Keane are also included.

Dixon has made ten starts and one substitute appearance for our Under-18 side this season.

__________________________________________________ _____

He's not full-time yet. The plot thickens...

$Leon$
08/05/2006, 6:34 PM
He's not full-time yet. The plot thickens...

What age is he exactly? He probably still legally has to go to school or isn't old enough to legally work.
I'm sure one of the major reasons he's travelling to this training camp (not World Cup as some people seem to be forgetting) is to deter his from switching allegiances to England. This squad announcement today doesn't mean he will be playing. Saw him play for the U17's a couple of months ago and was impressed.

eirebhoy
08/05/2006, 7:10 PM
I'm sure one of the major reasons he's travelling to this training camp (not World Cup as some people seem to be forgetting) is to deter his from switching allegiances to England
Looking at Staunton's quotes it seems he asked McCaffrey to pick one player and he picked Dixon.

cavan_fan
08/05/2006, 8:23 PM
According to the FAI he was born on 15 January 1990, which makes him 16, see http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=482 . That doesn't prevent the FAI homepage from describing him as '17 years old Terry Dixon'...

Which would obviously make him the first 1990's guy on the squad. I'd be really impressed if somoeone could tell me who the first 1980's born player to appear for Ireland was.

TheJamaicanP.M.
08/05/2006, 8:33 PM
I'd be really impressed if somoeone could tell me who the first 1980's born player to appear for Ireland was.

Robbie Keane against the Czech Republic in Olomouc in March 1998.;)

Forever Dreamin
08/05/2006, 8:39 PM

And if I remember right Robbie was 17 and won a man of the match award in his 2nd game as a 17 yr old, lets see what happens over the next 12 months before jumping to conclusions!

cavan_fan
08/05/2006, 8:42 PM

you see, I am impressed! What if i asked for the first 1970's born player!

TheJamaicanP.M.
08/05/2006, 8:52 PM

That's a bit tougher. My guess would be Roy Keane who was born in August 1971 but I might be wrong. Keane made his debut against Chile at Lansdowne Road. I wonder will Terry Dixon follow in his footsteps.:)

TheJamaicanP.M.
08/05/2006, 8:54 PM
And if I remember right Robbie was 17 and won a man of the match award in his 2nd game as a 17 yr old, lets see what happens over the next 12 months before jumping to conclusions!

That was against Argentina when he was marking the no-nonsense Nestor Sensini. The official man of the match award was given to Ariel Ortega that night but most people in the ground agreed that Robbie was the best player on the park that night.

pineapple stu
08/05/2006, 11:33 PM
Mark Kelly? Think he was 17 making his debut in 1988.

Dr. Ogba
08/05/2006, 11:55 PM
"Jason is a big strong boy who has a bit of pace and will score goals. He offers something a little different to what we've got up front as we've smallish frontmen. It is beneficial to change that around."
[...]

Good point from Staunton, I think Byrne genuinely offers us something different at the moment. Granted he's never going to be a first-choice but I think its no harm having a bigger lad around the squad for the qualifiers that can also score goals...would like to see him get a run against Chile alongside Doyle if it is the case that Keane/Morrison/Elliott aren't fully fit or available for other reasons....

holidaysong
09/05/2006, 12:25 AM
I think Byrne genuinely offers us something different at the moment ... would like to see him get a run against Chile alongside Doyle if it is the case that Keane/Morrison/Elliott aren't fully fit or available for other reasons....

Twelve months ago, if someone had seriously mentioned Doyle and Byrne playing up front together for Ireland (even if only for a few minutes in a friendly) I probably would have been on the phone to the men in the white coats.... Hopefully I am not being naive if I now consider this a possibility but God I would love to see it!

eirebhoy
09/05/2006, 9:45 AM
The Irish Independent claim that he has never played a reserve game, not that I particularly trust them.
Aye, I was searching my posts on this forum to see if I posted about it before but I can't find anything. I was sure he played at least 1 game for the reserves, in central midfield. Maybe it was his first game for the U18s, I wouldn't be suprised considering he was probably 15 at the time. :)

Risteard
09/05/2006, 11:48 AM
good to see byrne in there. now lets see what the EL is made of, he had a chance before, now he has another one.
I don't think he really got a proper chance the last time.
Don't think he'll get one either this time.
He's a bit old to be blooded for the international scene anyway.

Maybe Gamble might get a call if Miller and Douglas are out.

mjpcc
09/05/2006, 5:01 PM
Sign him up quick - we need anyone who can score against Israel.

Dr. Ogba
10/05/2006, 4:16 AM
I don't think he really got a proper chance the last time.
Don't think he'll get one either this time.
He's a bit old to be blooded for the international scene anyway.

Maybe Gamble might get a call if Miller and Douglas are out.

Is Garvan in the u21s? Thought he might have been a good one to call up as "one for the future"...

dr_peepee
10/05/2006, 7:43 AM
Staunton is apparently bringing someone from the 21's over after their game (Didn't say who) and was also interested in bringing someone from the U19's but couldn't because of their commitments. If that had been the case then it may not have raised to eyebrows it has due to the selection of one sollitary younster... Not a big deal really. England have done this in the past for training camps with Joe Cole when he was younger at West Ham and Micheal Dawson while at Forrest.

Wonder who the players where that Staunton wanted to take? Stokes? Yeates? or, as said, Garvan?

Stuttgart88
10/05/2006, 8:25 AM
Is Garvan in the u21s? Thought he might have been a good one to call up as "one for the future"...Both the U21s & U19s have competive games & very important ones. Garvan was in the U19 squad for their "elite group" phase but has pulled out through injury I hear.

tetsujin1979
10/05/2006, 9:48 AM
Staunton is apparently bringing someone from the 21's over after their game (Didn't say who)

Could be McGeady, from his online diary here: http://www.icons.com/mcgeady/diary.html?09.5.06

Firstly, I'll be going to play Azerbaijan home and away with the Ireland Under-21 side, the first leg of which is in Azerbaijan on Thursday. Then I'll maybe be in the first-team squad for Ireland's match with Chile in Dublin on 24 May. I've been given a strong hint that I could be involved.