PDA

View Full Version : Farrelly in bid to appease Bohs fans

Pages : [1] 2

JW.
08/05/2006, 11:39 AM
... or not. I'm wondering what his predicament is, particularly with the new money supposedly coming in?

From eleven-a-side:

Under-fire Bohemians player-manager Gareth Farrelly believes the club’s supporters were waiting for something to go wrong so that they could voice their dissatisfaction during Saturday night’s clash with Longford Town.

Farrelly’s side took an early lead through Farrelly himself but the midlanders hit back to take their first win of the season.

The Bohs collapse saw several fans vent their spleen in the direction of Farrelly, with chants urging the club to sack the former Irish international.

And Farrelly feels that the supporters failed to back his side to the full at Flancare Park. He told the Irish Sun: “You know what Bohs fans are like. They’ve been like that for ages. The sad thing is that we didn’t do anything to quell that.

“Even when we were 1-0 up they were still waiting for something to happen and we played into their hands.”

Jaime
08/05/2006, 11:51 AM
God help him on Friday. :mad:

The Stars
08/05/2006, 12:36 PM
no...ask don o riordon.

pineapple stu
08/05/2006, 12:44 PM
Question for non-Bohs fans, if you were in our shoes would you be any different?
In fairness, he does have a point that Bohs fans are the moaniest fans in the league. I think you have to consider the budgetary cut-backs that are taking place there (as I understand it?) and also what's happened to your last two managers since getting the sack (i.e. Pete Mahon and Stephen Kenny).

chippie0001
08/05/2006, 12:48 PM
In fairness, he does have a point that Bohs fans are the moaniest fans in the league. I think you have to consider the budgetary cut-backs that are taking place there (as I understand it?) and also what's happened to your last two managers since getting the sack (i.e. Pete Mahon and Stephen Kenny).

Can people get their facts right, firstly this year the budget was upped, its now over €1m per annum. Secondly we have a full time pro team, all bar one of them was signed by Farrelly. Lastly he has 10 pts from 27, last season finished sixth, plays dire football. Except for the last 2 weeks he has had an easy ride, so to moan now because the fans are upset with 2 years of crap is pathetic. Lastly for all the people that think we moan, go abroad, Spain, Italy etc and see what fans are like, they don't put up with wasters managing their teams, nor should we.

ColinR
08/05/2006, 1:08 PM
a budget of €1m though is no longer considered massive in the league terms, and there are probably four or five teams with budgets around that amount. however, bohs are already adrift of these teams with comparable budgets.

Whilst it is also fair to say that bohs fans are reknown for moaning - there were a couple of farrelly out threads on their mb after we beat them on the first day of the season ffs.

i'd imagine he'd need to start winning fast in order to stay though, especially if the moeny situation is to improve as expected at bohs, they'd want a good manager to spend it.

Roo69
08/05/2006, 1:13 PM
Who would Bohs fans like to see come in and manage IF GF got the chop ?

Ronnie
08/05/2006, 1:16 PM
Well I was there and as soon as we equalised Bohs fans turned on Farrelly. It was pathetic, we had not been playing well and really struggled for the first 25 mins, with Bohs well on top. We got into the game scored and all of sudden sack the gaffer - I mean the scores are level and its not even half time, and the fans decide to turn on their manager and team!

chippie0001
08/05/2006, 1:40 PM
Who would Bohs fans like to see come in and manage IF GF got the chop ?
Me personally, Dolan. Did a good job at Waterford but needs to be controlled.

As for our budget I would say its the 4th highest in the league. Its above say Pats who are already six points ahead of us. And again its not just this season, he has had 2 years now, its hardly that this is just a blip. He won 1 game from 12 against the top 4 last year :mad:

wws
08/05/2006, 2:13 PM
with Dolans brodcasting career I doubt Bohs could afford him, and I doubt he even cares about dabbling in management again.

Mr A
08/05/2006, 2:28 PM
I'd imagine that Farrelly's prospects are linked to the deal with the developer- with that €2 million in the bank the expense of sacking him wouldn't be such a big deal. How long does he have left on his contract?

JW.
08/05/2006, 2:52 PM
Farrelly needs this season at least in my opinion. It's his first job and the situation as it is is not insurmountable.

BohsFans
08/05/2006, 3:12 PM
a budget of €1m though is no longer considered massive in the league terms, and there are probably four or five teams with budgets around that amount. however, bohs are already adrift of these teams with comparable budgets.

read his post FFS OVER €1m pa.

Maybe you don't know, but he's also hired a defensive coach. Another monumental waste of money.

ColinR
08/05/2006, 3:20 PM
read his post FFS OVER €1m pa.

Maybe you don't know, but he's also hired a defensive coach. Another monumental waste of money.

i would still be surprised if there wasn't 4 or perhaps 5 clubs with similar, if not greater budgets. how much is the defensice coach on?, has it altered the budget and if not why is it relevant?

if it improves the defence sufficiently will it be a monumental (how much is monumental??) waste of money

personally, i reckon farrelly is on borrowed time and should be producing a top 6 team (no more) based on the resources given to him, but bohs fans do have a reputation of crying wolf about any manager after a couple of defeats. now that there are imo justifiable grievances, the manager is using the excuse that bohs fans are always moaning...

BohsFans
08/05/2006, 3:24 PM
2004 - Played 13 : Won 06 Drew 06 Lost 01 ........ Goals For 19 Against 08 Pts 24

2005 - Played 33 : Won 13 Drew 06 Lost 14 ........ Goals For 42 Against 47 Pts 45

2006 - Played 09 : Won 03 Drew 01 Lost 05 ........ Goals For 09 Against 11 Pts 10

Total - Played 52 : Won 22 Drew 13 Lost 20 ........ Goals For 70 Against 66 Pts 79.

Don't forget he's manager of Bohemians not Galway or Longford!

Spends 2-3 days a week living in England!

Has more back room staff than any other Bohs manager has had at their disposal!

Signs players with without seeing them play, without medicals and players with injuries!

Simply doesn't take the job serious what so ever.

Block G Raptor
08/05/2006, 3:39 PM
It is time to freshen Things up Farrelly has not delivered on or off the field and imo opinion has taken the club as far as he can

A face
08/05/2006, 3:51 PM

I dont know about the moaniest, but definitely Bohs fans make no secret that no matter what he does they will complain. Alot of the time they are way over the top .... its as if that have a habit of getting on the managers back and dont know how to shake the habit.

BohsFans
08/05/2006, 3:55 PM
I dont know about the moaniest, but definitely Bohs fans make no secret that no matter what he does they will complain. Alot of the time they are way over the top.

:rolleyes:

Please withdraw or explain!

A face
08/05/2006, 3:55 PM
with Dolans brodcasting career I doubt Bohs could afford him, and I doubt he even cares about dabbling in management again.

Its definitely been more lucrative for him with some of the aspect of the Pat Devlin style job portfolio anyway.

A face
08/05/2006, 3:58 PM
:rolleyes:

Please withdraw or explain!

After the Bohs game at the cross, which was the best game i have seen this year, Bohs fans were saying the season is over at that stage and the club were only going through the motions for the rest of it.

That .... IMO ..... given the football that Bohs played that night was most definitely well over the top by a huge distance !!

BohsFans
08/05/2006, 4:10 PM
After the Bohs game at the cross, which was the best game i have seen this year, Bohs fans were saying the season is over at that stage and the club were only going through the motions for the rest of it.

That .... IMO ..... given the football that Bohs played that night was most definitely well over the top by a huge distance !!

I'd love to see the evidence of this a face. All the comments of Bohs fans were very positive and definitely not as you stated above.

Although some points of note after that match:

-we played brilliantly
-only match this season GF hasn't been in charge
-still no goals from a team that is expected to be in the top 5 challenging
-3 loses of out of 3 - doesn't matter how well you play, points are only awarded for a win or a draw!

No away league win outside Dublin since beating the whipping boys (Finn Harps) last July. :eek: :mad:

yeah and GF needs more time :rolleyes:

sonofstan
08/05/2006, 4:11 PM

unfortunately we haven't played football like that since - and Farrelly wasn't there, remember....

A face
08/05/2006, 4:16 PM
I'd love to see the evidence of this a face. All the comments of Bohs fans were very positive and definitely not as you stated above.

Sorry, should have said ... they were posts on GypsiesWeb .... and man, i'm sorry i just dont have time to look for them now (given that, if you want me to retract that comment then i will, no sweat)

Obviously BohsFans, you will know more than a fan from another club, and i'd obviously respect that but i quoted pineapple stu who had quoted BohsBohsBohs when he asked a question. My answer was just my opinion in reply to that question.

For the record, i actually thought that Stephen Kenny got a bad deal at Bohs, and to be fair there isn't another club where he didn't produce the goods. That is what i had in mind aswell when i answered the question. Again ... just my take on it.

Block G Raptor
08/05/2006, 4:20 PM
In fairness I Agree with AFace there is a section of our fans that are only too happy to jump on what they see as failure to manage the club to an acceptable level but on this occasion I am with them. I do think Farrelly should go and the sooner the better while we can still salvage something of this season
I'd like to see Dolan in aswell but cant see it happening

BohsFans
08/05/2006, 4:20 PM
For the record, i actually thought that Stephen Kenny got a bad deal at Bohs, and to be fair there isn't another club where he didn't produce the goods. That is what i had in mind aswell when i answered the question. Again ... just my take on it.

Don't get me started on Levedia Tallin!

A face
08/05/2006, 4:27 PM
Aside from Pat Devlin, Stepehen Kenny was the longest serving manager in the league when he left Bohs. Hardly suitable ammunition to label Bohs as trigger-happy.

Agreed, but it was just more about the 'climate' in which he left .... cant remember the game but remember just before he left, at the end of a game ye lost, the crowd were in full flight chanting out out etc. (as they do, we are no strangers to it either a few years back) ...... maybe i'm wrong lads, its just the impression that i have, just kinda had it over time ... i'm not taking a cheap dig at Bohs fans. Just giving my tupence really.

sonofstan
08/05/2006, 4:37 PM
In calmer moments a few Bohs fans might agree with you - but just because we jumped the gun on Kenny, it doesn't necessarily follow that Farrelly deserves more time now

CharlesThompson
08/05/2006, 5:06 PM
I don't think we jumped the gun on Kenny. Hindsight being the wonderful thing that it is, I feel that out of the last three (including our present incumbent) that Mahon was the one who got the raw deal as it were.

He took over the double winning side and won his first 6 matches on the spin, scoring loads of goals and some great football. Then injuries started to pile up where he had something ridiculous like 4 fit first team players for matches and the results that followed were predictable. I remember a 6-4 defeat at home to Shelbounre where he debuted Shevlin at centre half in a three man defence along with another defender (Oman?) because we simply didn't have the players available to play the game.

However, on the point of this topic, Farrelly to my mind has to go. His record is the worst of any Bohs manager I can remember and gesticulating a supporters who travelled to Longford to support the team to my mind was the final straw. To then follow that up with the comments he's made to the papers is unforgivable but more importantly - his record stinks to the high heavens and that is why he has to go.

Just a final note. On my way to Longford I was looking forward to a good game of footie. The atmosphere was jubilant considering the week we had had, so to my mind, nobody was expecting anything other than a Bohs win not least when we dominated the first 20 minutes and went a goal up. What was witnessed after Longford equalised was a travesty of the beautiful game (from a Bohs point of view) - No tactics, no skill, no clue.

Anto McC
08/05/2006, 5:15 PM
I never thought Farrelly was up to the job in the first place but after reading this thread and post number 16 by Bohsfans in particular,i now realise he is even more inept than i thought,i can completely understand why Bohs fans are calling for the managers head this time!!

Raheny Red
08/05/2006, 5:47 PM
Well with the developements off the pitch, any manager will jump for the hotseat at Bohs.

bohs til i die
08/05/2006, 5:53 PM

Whilst it is also fair to say that bohs fans are reknown for moaning - there were a couple of farrelly out threads on their mb after we beat them on the first day of the season ffs.

i'd imagine he'd need to start winning fast in order to stay though, especially if the moeny situation is to improve as expected at bohs, they'd want a good manager to spend it.

absolute b-o-l-l-o-x.

Our squad costs the club €21,000 a week. That €1,100,000 per year
Farrelly has the 3rd/4th biggest budget in the league yet we have lost all 9 of our last 9 league games outside Dublin. Our last win on the road was in Finn Harps last July. An EL club spending a 7 figure sum on wages alone is a huge deal in EL terms. For all Drogheda's boasts, your crowds are still the same as ours.

Our backroom team consists of Dermot O'Neill, Pat Cleary, Gary Howlett, Jimmy Jackson, Tony Lawlor, Stefano Manassero, a kitman, Trevor Croly and a sports scientist dude. There is also a yoga session once/twice a week with an instructor who isnt on the full time payroll but still costs the club.

Farrelly's response to a 2-2 draw at home to Wayside Celtic last August [having been 2-0 up] was that the club makes a few quid from another cup tie. Thats loser material.

Bohs fans have been ultra patient with Farrelly since his arrival, but he has managed to sent teams out for the first game of the season two years running in **** poor physical shape after a less then adequate pre season. We have started extremely poorly in 2005 and 2006 and we have had enough. Drogheda played Portadown away on March 6th in the SSC in Portadown. Gareth Farrelly was in Dalymount wandering around not doing much. He doesnt even bother to check out upcoming opponents.

Finally the spoofer doesnt set any targets so when we have a sh1t season he can claim we didnt fail because we had no real target. He is a loser, a spoofer and an imposter.

Farrelly's transfer record is **** poor. Arkins was touted by Farrelly to our board as the answer to our goalscoring problems. In fact Farrelly's two good signings before this season were O'Keefe who was recommended by Des Byrne and Joxer who was brought in by Gino Brazil.

JW - I see no reason for Bohs to continue paying Farrelly a fortune for our league season which is already doomed. He costs Bohs over €125,000 a year yet his application to the job is pretty much non-existant.

harry crumb
08/05/2006, 6:54 PM
Its always money with some Bohs fans.

They hounded Bobby Ryan and Damien Lynch too with money jibs.

chippie0001
08/05/2006, 7:02 PM
Its always money with some Bohs fans.

They hounded Bobby Ryan and Damien Lynch too with money jibs.

No we hounded Bobby because he was ugly. Some of you need to go watch football abroad, where abusing the oppisition in any manner is expected and expecting your team to perform is the norm. GF has had 2 years and has been a failure, the stats back that up. Couldn't see Ollie putting up with that, Lennox sacked Dolan for less, Derry went through managers for a while at a rapid rate etc etc.

Speranza
08/05/2006, 7:06 PM
If you lads seen the preformances Ken Oman has been putting in your anger would increase tenfold. Cannot understand why you released him!

Ken was critical of Farrelly in our last podcast. Said there was a bad feeling in the dressing room and that he personally didn't get on with him. He felt he was made the scapegoat for leaking goals last season.

Once again, cheers Bohs!

BohDiddley
08/05/2006, 8:02 PM
If you lads seen the preformances Ken Oman has been putting in your anger would increase tenfold. Cannot understand why you released him!

Ken was critical of Farrelly in our last podcast. Said there was a bad feeling in the dressing room and that he personally didn't get on with him. He felt he was made the scapegoat for leaking goals last season.

Once again, cheers Bohs!
Oman's performances for Bohs last year got worse in tandem with Farrelly blaming the defence for all our woes. Before that, he'd been a class act, but you could see that his confidence, and perhaps motivation, was shot.
I'd be happy to see him back in the black 'n' red where he belongs in the post-GF era.
I don't think that at heart it's the results that are fomenting mutiny: it's the attitude, or lack of it, in Bohs teams these days that's really hard to take.

OneRedArmy
08/05/2006, 8:05 PM
Criticising fans publically, particularly the away fans, regardless of the rights and wrongs, is always the beginning of the end.

The fans ultimately pay for Farrelly's wages and they'll be there when he is long gone.

I give him 6 weeks (unless they can't afford to get rid of him?)

kdjaC
08/05/2006, 8:09 PM
The fans ultimately pay for Farrelly's wages and they'll be there when he is long gone.

In this case they really do pay his wages :) I reckon hes gone in less than 6.

How long is his contract?

kdjac

JW.
08/05/2006, 9:08 PM
I know very little about it but I'd generally think a manager deserves two full seasons. Stephen Lally is under at least a bit of pressure in Galway presently.

Anto McC
08/05/2006, 9:14 PM
2 full seasons!!!

I'd have f*cked him out as soon as he signed Jimmy Aggrey to be honest!!

Poor Student
08/05/2006, 9:21 PM
2 full seasons!!!

I'd have f*cked him out as soon as he signed Jimmy Aggrey to be honest!!

The Cooney signing was worse in my opinion.

Anto McC
08/05/2006, 9:26 PM
The Cooney signing was worse in my opinion.

Christ yeah,i almost forgot about him :eek:
It only begs the question,How the hell hasn't he been sacked already?

JW.
08/05/2006, 9:41 PM
One of the big disappointments for Bohs has been Ward - what has he, one goal so far in the league?

monkey magic
08/05/2006, 9:50 PM
as a point of interest, is there general consensus among bohs fans over farrely, or are there those who still want to give him more time?? if not, and yous are a members club, why hasent he been secked already?

DmanDmythDledge
08/05/2006, 9:52 PM
2 years is plenty of time to judge that Farrelly is not up for the job. If he lives in England for 2/3 days a week then he shouldn't be in the job anyway. It was clear by this that he wasn't going to give the necessary dedication to the job to become a success.

JoeSemi
08/05/2006, 10:12 PM
Discipline was a huge problem there at the beginning of last season and it seems that little has changed. GF didn't earn the respect of the senior professionals at the club and always seemed to try too hard at being one of the lads- especially with the younger players.

There were lads knocking off training early because they didn't "feel like" doing the extra bit of work that is required in pre-season. The manager never nipped this in the bud and more or less took it as a joke at times. It seems that little has changed.

Shambolic set-up for a club who deserve more tbh.

Derek
08/05/2006, 10:39 PM
Roddy Collins is a available

sonofstan
08/05/2006, 10:45 PM
as a point of interest, is there general consensus among bohs fans over farrely, or are there those who still want to give him more time?? if not, and yous are a members club, why hasent he been secked already?
we don't actually have weekly members meetings, you know(although its felt like that recently); the board hire and fire same as any other club

monkey magic
08/05/2006, 10:49 PM
we don't actually have weekly members meetings, you know(although its felt like that recently); the board hire and fire same as any other club

fair enough, but my point is; if theres such a weight of opinion against keeping farrely as boss, surely the board are mandated to effectively do what the members want...

i mean its not as if the board dont know how the fans feel...

BohDiddley
08/05/2006, 11:08 PM
No disrespect Monkey Magic, but being tanked by Longford, who up to now couldn't score if your lives depended on it, is something of a tipping point.

monkey magic
08/05/2006, 11:27 PM
No disrespect Monkey Magic, but being tanked by Longford, who up to now couldn't score if your lives depended on it, is something of a tipping point.

none taken at all, it will be interesting to see how long more he lasts