PDA

View Full Version : Man arrested after car chase in Dublin

Anto McC
07/05/2006, 2:31 PM
http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/05/07/story257596.html

I've been listening to this on Newstalk for the last while,crazy stuff!!

1 elderly woman has been confirmed dead!!

pete
07/05/2006, 6:46 PM
Some brief amateur video footage on tv3 complete with skanger commentary. Showed the bus going up the wrong side of the dual carraigeway before long mile road with garda van & 3 squad cars in pursuit - bit like AJ Simpson :)

Whole events are very bizarre. Apparently the gardai stingers (metal spikes) did not stop the bus. The bus was also stolen i think - who steals a bus??? :confused:

Anto McC
07/05/2006, 6:51 PM
who steals a bus??? :confused:

A bus driver!!

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/05/07/story257637.html

pete
07/05/2006, 7:02 PM
A bus driver!!

Fair enough but who thinks they can win a bus v car chase? Must have mental problems.

Anto McC
07/05/2006, 7:39 PM
He wasnt interested in racing or getting a chase,i mean he actually drove back to the depot after creating the trail of destruction!!

Macy
08/05/2006, 8:12 AM
Well there should be a full investigation into the garda actions on the day, as seems bizarre that he was given the opportunity to ram patrol cars out of the way. In the UK, the cops would back off and just follow with the copter...

From 7am not one incident, once the cops get involved mayhem.... I mean, had the gards blocked the naas road where he went down the wrong side and ploughed into the line of cars?

finlma
08/05/2006, 9:57 AM
Fair enough but who thinks they can win a bus v car chase?

Keanu Reeves

Bit of a crazy story - must have been 1 seriously disgruntled employee. But wasn't he the good lad to try and return the bus in the end.

pete
08/05/2006, 10:33 AM
Gardai seem to be seriously badly equiped if they trying to block a bus with a bog standard patrol car. Do these cars not have extra reinforcement? I've no idea if the gardai did a good job or not but another reason why need a Independent Garda Ombudsman like in the north that can investigate these immediately.

Maybe he'll clain he thought there was a bomb on the bus & couldn't drive below 40mph.

anto1208
08/05/2006, 11:30 AM
its was crazy stuff all right it was like watching speed 2 but with a bus instead of a boat .;)

i think the cops did the right thing to suggest nothing went wrong untill the cops showed up is nonsence , this guy was out to cause trouble who brings a hatchet and knuckle dusters to work with them ??

wws
08/05/2006, 11:43 AM
you have to admire the courage of the cops who tried the block the bus
say what you want out about them but they do put themselves quite literally in the frontline - and its hard to criticise people who do that from the comfort of our safe distance

at the end of the day the mad man had killed one and might have killed many more

theres no legislating for lunatics

liam88
08/05/2006, 9:45 PM
Well said WWS! I think this thread has becoming a bit of a joke/garda slagging which it really shouldn't be when people have been injured and killed.

Also fed up with this bizzare notion that the English police are so great and amazing and perfect and the Gardai are rubbish :rolleyes:
Load of tripe- there's are serious problems with policing in England and a lot of people I know who live in England a regularly travel to Ireland would prefer the Garda anyday.

Anto McC
08/05/2006, 10:12 PM
Personally i think the Garda do a fantastic job especially when you consider the sh*te they have to put up with!!!

This man was intent on doing harm to anyone he could,the Garda done everything in their power to stop him,which included the ultimate sacrifice of risking their own lives to save others!!

Anto McC
08/05/2006, 10:32 PM
http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/05/08/story257739.html

dfx-
08/05/2006, 11:32 PM
Well there should be a full investigation into the garda actions on the day

:rolleyes:

And a full investigation as to why we have lunatic coach drivers, but again much easier to want to investigate the police or the Government etc. etc.

I only found out about this at the Rovers match from Anto, if I had gone to the match as planned, I'd have probably been on the Luas that I saw stopped later at the Bluebell stop, it's just up the road and if shots were fired at the Red Cow as reported, then it was literally down the road..

*shudders*

Macy
09/05/2006, 10:52 AM
He only started ploughing through people when the cops were chasing him. Fair play for the bravery/stupidity of those that attempted to block a coach with patrol car, but perhaps there would've been a different outcome if they had all backed off and followed at a distance? Why not investigate whether the gards tatics were wrong and avoid a similar situation in the future? Experience has told us that they can do no wrong, obviously :rolleyes:

Liam, no one is saying the UK police are the greatest thing since sliced bread, but there are some things they are good at compared to here. Crowd control, particularly at football matches is one that they píss all over the gardai. Vehicle chases is another area that we haven't a clue on in comparison - it's long been the tatic to back off and use the helicopter to follow targets if by trying to stop them puts more people in danger. It appears that they went the opposite root of stop at all costs on Sunday.

Macy
09/05/2006, 10:53 AM
And btw, if this was the North, there would be an automatic ombudsman enquiry into the incident. No one would have to say there should be.

ColinR
09/05/2006, 11:10 AM
in incidents like this it is fair to hope that there would be an independent inquiry, but i don't think its fair to use any possible bias against the gardai to imply any incompentancy on their behalf without any proof at all.

dfx-
09/05/2006, 11:33 AM
Bringing a hatchet and knuckle dusters to work, stealing a bus for hours and then trying to mow down a specific person at Heuston and then again further down the road is somewhat indicative of a madman at work and not someone who was coaxed into something by "confrontational" gardai.:rolleyes:

I'd say it started with his attempt to run over the son of the owner of the company at Heuston. An event that would've needed some sort of planning and pre-meditated thought. Probably in his failed attempt at that, he went further berserk. Simple as.

But yep, let's waste time and yet more thousands of Euro (something often complained about) investigating the Gardai's actions. Let's not blame the lunatic who drove into those people and cars...let's blame the Gardai instead.

pete
09/05/2006, 11:36 AM
in incidents like this it is fair to hope that there would be an independent inquiry, but i don't think its fair to use any possible bias against the gardai to imply any incompentancy on their behalf without any proof at all.

Independent Enquiries are difficult & costly to setup. A Garda Ombudsman like in NI (if its good enough for them why not us?) would be perfect as can investiagate issue like this immeadiately & the Gardai as an organisation can learn from any mistakes.

Can't fault the bravery of the individual gardai but unless is independently investigated by police people its difficult to known if correct tactics & decisions made.

Macy
09/05/2006, 12:22 PM
What pete says... I mean an enquiry could just as easily find that they did everything right. And again, if there was an ombudsman as per the north it would be investigated as a matter of course. Not sure about the fudge of ombudsman's office we're getting.

mypost
09/05/2006, 8:31 PM
...a madman at work...

Literally!! :cool:

Liam, no one is saying the UK police are the greatest thing since sliced bread, but there are some things they are good at compared to here. Crowd control, particularly at football matches is one that they píss all over the gardai.

The only reason they're good at it, is (unlike elsewhere in Europe) because they insist on games being played at times that suit them, and not the right-minded, law-abiding fans. :rolleyes: :mad:

Anto McC
09/05/2006, 8:55 PM
Lets say there is an independent inquiry,irregardless of the findings,isnt it just a case of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted!

DFX,did you have much trouble getting home?

dfx-
10/05/2006, 1:01 AM
I managed to get a lift instead, so it wasn't as bad as it almost certainly would've been, given the heads up, cheers:)

Bus and Luas both go straight through there so both would've been all over the place.

Macy
10/05/2006, 8:05 AM
The only reason they're good at it, is (unlike elsewhere in Europe) because they insist on games being played at times that suit them, and not the right-minded, law-abiding fans. :rolleyes: :mad:
More games are changed to suit sky fookin sports. Sod all Noon kick offs on police advice in the scheme of things, how many 1215, 1315, 1515 etc, Friday, Sunday, Monday to suit the telly? Compare the UK to the policing at Bohs v Rovers for example where they still never have enough on Doyles Corner whilst having the riot squad inside the ground, or countless other totally avoidable with proper policing over the years involving many clubs.

First
10/05/2006, 2:30 PM
More games are changed to suit sky fookin sports. Sod all Noon kick offs on police advice in the scheme of things, how many 1215, 1315, 1515 etc, Friday, Sunday, Monday to suit the telly? Compare the UK to the policing at Bohs v Rovers for example where they still never have enough on Doyles Corner whilst having the riot squad inside the ground, or countless other totally avoidable with proper policing over the years involving many clubs.

From a lunatic driving a bus , taking out anything in his way , to the Guards policing a football game...simple solution would ahve been to shoot him as soon as it was known that he had taken a life. Point a gun and they will shoot you , drive a bus at innocent people and they shoot at the tyres.

Roverstillidie
11/05/2006, 1:37 PM
But yep, let's waste time and yet more thousands of Euro (something often complained about) investigating the Gardai's actions. Let's not blame the lunatic who drove into those people and cars...let's blame the Gardai instead.

thats not the point and well you know it. he only started crasing into cars when the cops tried to stop him. he will be prosecuted and spend a long tome in prison or dundrum. no one is blaming anyone other than him, but even for strategic reasons they should look at what whent wrong. the bacon boys should try learn from this, they failed to stop the bus, will they now go away and learn how to for next time? i doubt it

dont confuse the personal bravery of individual coppers with good policing

From a lunatic driving a bus , taking out anything in his way , to the Guards policing a football game...simple solution would ahve been to shoot him as soon as it was known that he had taken a life. Point a gun and they will shoot you , drive a bus at innocent people and they shoot at the tyres.

she died in hospital many hours after he had been arrested. good contribution:rolleyes:

pete
11/05/2006, 1:44 PM
dont confuse the personal bravery of individual coppers with good policing

Exactly, there is a big difference between individuals actions & overall organisation, training & resourcing. Did the Gardai have an action plan for this? Did they use it & did or work/fail? If you cannot identify your failings you cannot learn from them.

Macy
12/05/2006, 9:15 AM
Similar case in the UK yesterday, immediate independent inquiry launched. Contradicts what I was saying about UK police methods in car pursuits in some ways, but they will investigate what went wrong and whether it could've been prevented. While we just say what a good job was done.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/tyne/4763883.stm