PDA

View Full Version : UCD 3-0 Sligo Rovers

pineapple stu
07/05/2006, 12:22 AM
A Pat McWalter brace helped UCD to cruise to victory over 10-man Sligo Rovers at Belfield Park on Saturday evening. The victory - and indeed, the margin - was fully deserved by a College side who were superior to their opponents in almost every department on the night.

UCD made three changes from the team which had narrowly lost out in Dalymount the previous week - Paul Byrne came back in up front, Conor Kenna returned in defence at left-back and Gary Dicker started in centre-mid; Darragh Ryan moved to left-wing, while Derek Doyle, Stephen Hurley and Alan Cawley dropped to the bench.

UCD took the lead within three minutes - Rovers keeper John O'Hara needlessly conceded a corner, and Alan McNally was left unmarked to head home his first of the season from close range.

UCD continued to dominate, and extended their lead with a superb strike from Pat McWalter on the half hour. Picking the ball up in midfield, McWalter drove forward before unleashing a powerful drive straight into the top corner from 25 yards.

UCD could have extended their lead before the break, but McNally's header was blocked, and the defender blasted his own rebound over the bar with the goal gaping.

Things went from bad to worse for the visitors in the second half when Darren Mansaram was sent off for a second yellow card after a foul on Conor Kenna - the visitors had put in a number of hefty challenges throughout the match, and Brian Shortall in particular required treatment on more than one occasion. UCD could have made it 3-0 when Darragh Ryan broke free down the left - his cross across the goal just eluded Conor Sammon and Paul Byrne. However, a third wasn't long coming - with a quarter of an hour to go, Darragh Ryan won a free-kick on the left; he played the ball out to Pat McWalter hovering just outside the D, and he blasted home first-time into the top corner for a superb strike.

Down to ten men and 3-0 in arrears, Sligo offered little from then on, and UCD comfortably saw out a victory which lifts them into the top half of the table. There's a break in the schedule now for international duties before the Students return to league action on Monday fortnight for a game against Dublin City.

UCD - Quigley; Mahon, Kenna, Shortall, McNally; McDonnell, McWalter, Dicker, Ryan (Doyle 88); P Byrne (Hurley 84), Sammon. Subs not used - Hussey, Cawley, AN Other.

Att - 502

John83
07/05/2006, 12:27 AM
Warning. Above poster may be drunk.

pineapple stu
07/05/2006, 12:28 AM
Whaddya mean, "may"?! :D

John83
07/05/2006, 12:28 AM
PSA: Above poster is drunk.

pineapple stu
07/05/2006, 12:29 AM
PSA - Public Service Announcement, apparantly.

Though nice to see you removing any doubt! :D

John83
07/05/2006, 12:29 AM
It's spelt apparently.

pineapple stu
07/05/2006, 12:30 AM
Meh...

As I said - remove any douhbt!

DmanDmythDledge
07/05/2006, 4:31 PM
What were we like down the left?

Poor Student
07/05/2006, 4:35 PM
Those goals by Podge were top drawer. Absolute quality. 9 times out of 10, that second goal he scored would have been booted over the bar. I was impressed with Daz. Definitely belongs only on the wing. Good crosser and can beat his man.

pineapple stu
07/05/2006, 8:30 PM
Daz got the assist for the first and third from dead-balls. Much happier with him on the wing than at full-back. Only issue is that Conor Kenna was at left-back, when I'd rather him in centre-back.

I think Alan Cawley was on the bench - not sure why though. CiarĂ¡n Quinn was the other sub. Good strength in depth though if we can have a bench including Hurley, Cawley, Doyle and Quinn.

CollegeTillIDie
07/05/2006, 10:21 PM
I think Alan Cawley was on the bench - not sure why though.Good strength in depth though if we can have a bench including Hurley, Cawley, Doyle and Quinn.

We won without him:D who cares?

Schumi
08/05/2006, 1:34 PM
Good performance even if it was against a circus act of a side. McWalter's goals were two of the best I've seen in Belfield, hope TV3 managed to get them properly.

Darragh Ryan on the left wing worked well but I'd share pineapple's worries about Kenna at left back. There were no real problems on Saturday but a decent team might cause peoblems. Kenna's much better at centre back but then again Daz is much better at left wing so it might be worthtrying this set-up for a few games.

Poor Student
08/05/2006, 2:10 PM
I'd share pineapple's worries about Kenna at left back.

All things considered, can you name someone who could play the position better in the squad? Maybe only McEniff. I moaned about Micko a lot, but I'd still rather have him here.

For such a small team our midfield options are immense right now.

Schumi
08/05/2006, 3:06 PM
All things considered, can you name someone who could play the position better in the squad?
No but missing his influence from centre back isn't ideal.

CollegeTillIDie
08/05/2006, 9:24 PM
502 at the game? The Star said 792 someone must be wrong :(

Schumi
09/05/2006, 2:34 PM
502 at the game? The Star said 792 someone must be wrong :(
I got an A1 in maths in the Leaving, what did the Star get? :D

John83
09/05/2006, 3:10 PM
I got an A1 in maths in the Leaving, what did the Star get? :D
Just the guy who wrote the report, or if you add them all up?

Ach, I imagine you win either way.

Aberdonian Stu
09/05/2006, 3:15 PM
Hmm I have to question whether an A1 in maths makes you all that qualified at arithmetic. Seeing as most of the engineers and scientists I know are woeful at it largely due to their over dependance on calculators.

Having said that your count is still far more likely to be accurate!

CollegeTillIDie
09/05/2006, 9:31 PM
On a general issue what do we think Saturday afternoon kick offs , success, failure or is the jury still out?
From a results point of view 2 wins out of 3 it has to count as an on field success.

pineapple stu
09/05/2006, 11:07 PM
Jury still out crowds-wise - hasn't done any harm anyway - but the results are a definite benefit.

pineapple stu
03/08/2006, 8:33 PM
Yep. You can't take away the embarrassment/fun of the 3-0 though. ;)

Schumi
05/08/2006, 8:03 PM
Looking forward to tomorrow night lads ! ;)
Did you enjoy it? :D

pineapple stu
06/08/2006, 12:24 PM
Yeah, those last four years of underachievement are go to come back and bite you.