PDA

View Full Version : Galway v Kilkenny

Conor H
05/05/2006, 7:33 AM
....MASSIVE game tonight,especially with Harps win last night.Every team has begun to hit form at some stage by now,it's our turn starting tonight.Not only a result but a performance is needed after the Athlone game,which was the last in Terryland.Mons up next aswell before Athlone in the cup so 3 wins are by no means out of our reach.Other teams will take points off each other this weekend and next.Time for us to take advantage and move up the table.

Come on UTD!!:)

Terry
05/05/2006, 8:02 AM
David O'Dowd is out of the Kilkenny City game and will be out for the next few weeks. He sustained a medial knee ligament injury against Cobh Ramblers last weekend. Mixie Harty is also sidelined with an ankle injury and will be out for at least two more weeks.
Striker Dave Goldbey is added to the squad but Stephen Lally may start with Billy Clery upfront as a makeshift striker.... www.galwayunitedfc.ie

Trainee
05/05/2006, 9:36 AM
We need towin our next two home games for sure.

It will give the players and management the confidence we will need going in what could be our most important 3 games of the season

Limerick (Away)
Athlone (Away in cup)
Shamrock Rovers ( Home)

Lets hope that by time we have played these games we will be in the next round of the cup and top of the league.

Come on gufc

JW.
05/05/2006, 9:49 AM
Have to beat Monaghan and Kilkenny. What do you make of Billy being up front? I remember him being used there before in ad-hoc situations and also in midfield. He'll probably struggle a bit but he is capable of scoring (remember when he was our top scorer a few seasons ago).
Anyone want to have a stab at the team?

Tribesman
05/05/2006, 9:56 AM
It is difficult to move a centreback upfront for the whole game,
it is certainly more demanding. He could cause problems and with
an attacking lineup like the one we may have then it might work out.

Possible lineup::

Gough

Cretaro
Frawley
Carter
Reilly

Cooke
Murphy
Foley
OBrien

Clery
Moran

subs:
Gruszka
Rojas
Gavin
Keane/Keady
Goldbey

JW.
05/05/2006, 10:06 AM
Is Nigel still injured?

Tribesman
05/05/2006, 10:18 AM
I think he is fit, but I assume Lal just prefers Cretaro at right back
as he would be a better attaching right back than Keane or Keady.

gufct
05/05/2006, 10:19 AM
the bench for the last 2 games as Raf has been outstanding at right back.

Billy did well when he came on last week and set up barry's late chance but the only problem with him is his temperament if he concentrates on his own game I think he will prove effective. Ciaran Foley also needs to up his game as his form has been very patchy while murph seems to be getting to grips with his game at last.

Nothing is going to be easy this season and every team is beatable including ourselves but if we can get rid of the complacency that has ruined so many of our seasons lately we have the players to win the league with maybe the addition of a proven goalscorer a top priority as soon as possible.

Terry
05/05/2006, 10:21 AM
Since Billy started out his footballing career as a striker, and an excellent one at that, I think he'll manage no problem if he is used up there. Personnally, I think Lal is going to go back to the original line-up before the kildare game. Heres my team:

Gough
Keady...Clery...Frawley...Reilly
Cretaro...Carter...Foley...O'Brien
Murphy... Moran

Bench
Gruszka
Keane
Goldbey
Cooke (if not injured)
Gavin
Rojas (if cooke is injured)

gufct
05/05/2006, 11:24 AM
so far has been since he switched to midfield to change it now would make no sense but I bow to your knowledge of internal matters in the team Terry.

JW.
05/05/2006, 12:19 PM
Yeah I'd say it's best leave Murph there because he'll score goals from there as well. He should be more involved in any case.
I think we'll win by at least one tonight. They haven't scored in six games.

Conor H
05/05/2006, 12:22 PM
3-0 UTD.:) :cool:

Terry
05/05/2006, 12:44 PM
so far has been since he switched to midfield to change it now would make no sense but I bow to your knowledge of internal matters in the team Terry.

I have no knowledge of internal affairs and am only guessing as is everyone else. Our strike force is severally depleted with lavine gone and o'dowd out injured, to me it makes common sense to move murphy up front with the amount of cover we have in midfield plus he would score more than clery.

OR, is this another case of attacking everybody and anybody who speaks up of Billy? :rolleyes:

gufct
05/05/2006, 1:22 PM
up front and praised him for his contribution last week when he came on .Murphs has been brutal when he played up front this season as he kept dropping deep leaving his partner on his own whereas Billy would bring barry into the game and has an eye for goal.

Terry
05/05/2006, 1:30 PM
Thats true, I apologies

On another note, I hope everyone has been texting and what not this morning about the match? IN work here today all everybody is doing is talking about the connaught rugby match and how the rugby board are offering everyone that they will be allowed to stay in for free for the greyhound racing afterwards also. It has caught the imagination of a lot of people here and they are all going !! Hopefully it wont have any impacted on our attendance. I should have a car full with me.

JW.
05/05/2006, 1:44 PM
Gosh I hate when people are predicting we'll win ;)

Conor H
05/05/2006, 1:58 PM
I have a few extra going that don't normally go either.
Feck the egg chasers Friday night is our night.....let's proove it.Come on people of Galway!!:cool:
Plenty of noise tonight aswell!;)

Red4Eva
05/05/2006, 4:20 PM
IN work here today all everybody is doing is talking about the connaught rugby match and how the rugby board are offering everyone that they will be allowed to stay in for free for the greyhound racing afterwards also.

i'm currently debating whether to go to dogs or kilkenny game but prob won't go to dogs if it's gonna be full of rugby g*mps. there's 2 sides to every coin.

joeSoap
05/05/2006, 8:49 PM
1-1....Kilkenny late equaliser. Cost me a nice few quid...Langers (http://www.foot.ie/showthread.php?p=472415#post472415)

finlma
06/05/2006, 1:04 PM
Poor game last night. Nice to nick the equaliser at the end. Ye really sat back after the goal and although we didn't look much like scoring the equaliser was always likely.
It was a lovely free kick into the box.

I was the 1 Kilkenny supporter there I think.

Patrick Dunne
06/05/2006, 1:12 PM
Were you the guy that shouted "Yahoo" when Kilkenny scored ?

I thought that it was a bit over the top for the people around you to start
punching you and spitting at you.

Red4Eva
07/05/2006, 7:12 PM
I was the 1 Kilkenny supporter there I think.

i saw 2 guys goin mental across the far side when ye scored so unless they had a few quid on the draw i don't think u were alone

GalwayFrancis
08/05/2006, 8:13 AM
i saw 2 guys goin mental across the far side when ye scored so unless they had a few quid on the draw i don't think u were alone

actually them 2 guys (there was three off them in total) were die-hard kilkenny fans, from what i saw they were the only kilkenny fans in the place... they were a good laugh too

finlma
08/05/2006, 8:54 AM
actually them 2 guys (there was three off them in total) were die-hard kilkenny fans, from what i saw they were the only kilkenny fans in the place... they were a good laugh too

I saw those lads alright. I was in the stand with a few Galway lads. I was 1 of the 4 Kilkenny supporters there so.

Terry
08/05/2006, 9:34 AM
It must be the largest travelling contingent since the days of premier league football !! :)